Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Dear $anta ¢lau$,

Haha that's just a lil joke, I'm not one of "those" people... I don't mind that you've gotten big and gone commercial. I'm even happy for you and your success, this whole "Christmas" thing is really taking off. Keep it up!

As you know, I haven't been playing many vidya games in quite some time now, I still enjoy a good gaming sesh now and then but I just really don't get much time for it anymore. Maybe it's because I got MARRIED!! and so now I spend my evenings hanging out with the ol ball and chain heh heh. Oh yeah I got the congratulations card, thanks :) Oh and did you see I got chickens this year too? I don't know if chickens know about Christmas but I'm hoping to get them into it before they get too
old, ya know? They're real cute, they bok and scratch and peck and follow me around the yard.

What else do I like, umm i like music (prog/psych, minimalist/drone/ambient/post-rock, alternative, classical to name a few... + I love David Bowie and miss him every day :rip: hope he's chilling with you in heaven if that's where you live??). I like gardening and hiking and doing things outside. I like plants and trees and generally i like decor/things that as closely as possible evokes images of an actual irl tree or plant, like for example literally a piece of a tree like some driftwood. I bicycle a lot, mostly to get to and from work but also for fun sometimes. I also enjoy books - interesting fic like Vonnegut or Borges, fun fic like fantasy/scifi stuff but mainly only the heady stuff, interesting non-fic, interesting graphic novels are cool but I'm not v into serial comics. ANd finally, it's the thought that counts and I enjoy funny, quirky, possibly handmade or local to your area gifts! but in general I'm already trying to reduce my amount-of-stuff so nic-nacks are slightly discouraged unless they're super cool. I like coffee and a goofy work safe mug could be fun!

Other important facts you might not remember: my t-shirt size is small or medium depending on the brand, I have no allergies, and I'm over 21 :beerpal: and i don't often hit the ol 420 tbh

that's all gotta go seeyaaaa!

Love,
Alnilam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

:suspense:

alnilam

yob bless us everyone

alnilam

Vynar posted:

Sorry about the lack of raisins. You must have been devastated when it turned out to be a fun game instead. No idea what you will have to put in your cookies now.

*fluffieduckie crying, tearing up the cards from the game one by one and throwing the pieces into into her mixing bowl*

alnilam

vanisher posted:

Don't worry I opened the game box and filled it with raisins. I'm not heartless.

lol

ty manifisto

alnilam

lol if you don't post on byob by mail

alnilam

Subjunctive posted:

I use a theramin

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

telnet only friend

alt.byob

alnilam

social vegan posted:

I'm an updog

I'm updog as hell and I'm not gonna take it anymore!!

alnilam

death sext posted:

oh my gooosh that's so cool :kimchi: yay social vegan! yay subjunctive and Claire!

alnilam

*readies flashlight and blanket*

alnilam

FluffieDuckie posted:

that tshirt is some good art :love:

alnilam

Bee merry

alnilam

social vegan posted:

ahahaha that card is amazing!

alnilam

New phone, who dis?

alnilam

I have all my stuff bought i just have to assemble and send

*looks at watch* ehhh it'll probably take care of itself *falls asleep*

alnilam

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i am sorry that i got caught up in all my end of term homework but ill be going in a day or two to the post office and mailing xmas out secretly

You out there, what day is it to-day?

(Why, it's December 5th, sir, 5 days before the shipping deadline!)

The students did it all in one semester! Of course they did! There's still time!

alnilam

social vegan posted:

oh man that shirt

alnilam

City of Glompton posted:

hail satan!

that was pretty great, than you for sharing satan's bounty with us

alnilam

look out, here [my gift] comes! :tfrxmas:

alnilam

there's really only one thread a year where i get to use that smiley and by gawd I'm gonna use it

alnilam

super mario batali posted:

Thanks for organizing all this Fluffie

alnilam

Fluffie is like meta-santa, except to her santee to whom she's also actual-santa

alnilam

social vegan posted:

amazing socks! *steps on lego, ears pop*

alnilam

Very nice manifisto and bbt! All you primo santas are making me feel inadequate :ohdearsass:

Regardless I'm excite, i just saw that my santee's package was delivered :suspense:

alnilam

It's very nice of fluffie to sew an entire quilt for each santa as a thank you gift

alnilam

omg i got the best gifts i'm writing up an unboxing post rn but i wanted to prepare you for how great htese gifts are

ty manifisto

alnilam

omg, how did santa know i love giant red tissues? my nose will be so happy!

giant beige ones too! these... won't hide the blood as well, but they're still very nice

omg AAAIR! In the grim airless future a la spaceballs, i need all the packaged air i can get

Okay this is where I know my santa is off the dang hook, look at this wee basket!

here i got so excited that things get a little out of order i think, we'll be back to the basket in a minute but h*ck if I'm gonna go out of the chronological order in which i took the photos!

an amazing mug!!! it's actually way too awesome to waste at work, and my wife loves it too and told me she wants it here at home

A lot of fun things to drink out of that mug! I do love my coffe, and how did you know POOL IS CLOSED that african coffe tends to be my fav?
And then there's a mysterious yellowy liquid that I immediately recognized as MEAD!

I haven't had mead since I brewed a... kinda ill-fated batch roundabout 2009, but don't worry i still love the stuff. Soon I will pretend i'm beowulf or hrothgar and raise a stein of the ol' honey booze in cheers to my good friend and santa POOL IS CLOSED. But not quite yet! Soon though and then I'll post about how good it is, cause guess what, pool is closed made it themselves?! from their own honey??!!?!?!? holy cr*p. how do I know this? well first of all unlabelled bottle i mean that's a big hint right there, but also there's a card!

a cool beet card that says inside in lovely green handwriting:

quote:

(look, it a beet!!!)
also let me know if the mug + tiny bowl show up busted, i can replace'em!

glorious byobber alnilam,
i'm totally unqualified to select music, but local odds'n ends are my forte! basically everything in this box is from REDACTED (editor's note, pool is closed i'm not sure if you wanted me to give away where you're from)

i kinda buried it in the box before learning that you're vegan, but the unlabeled bottle is mead i brewed in 2015 from honey i harvested from my hives. we harvest very carefully, i swear! it's a still, dry mead that's super light. the bud lite of mead...

[on the back it is noted that the card comes from the community land trust that POOL IS CLOSED keeps bees at! cooL!]

What a nice card :love: and get this, I'm not v*gan actually, I'm just regular ol vegetarian, so I eat all the honeys. Also my housemate is vegan but she's decided she's okay with honey esp. if it's homegrown, so my whole house will participate in getting drunk thanks to the tireless work of your bees + some cool yeasty friends + you!

moving along, what's this? the aforementioned little bowl!

this is a legit gorgeous bowl, and i don't say that about many bowls. For scale i put my marriage circle in it, which is a size 10.5 *winks at next year's secret santa*

There's also a really lovely olive-wood spoon, which is great because I love to cook! In fact half an hour after opening it I'm already using it to stir a pot of beans while I type up this post!

and as if that wasn't all enough, a larger-than-usual snowflake that somehow hasn't melted yet :confused: and some glow-works that someone imprisoned in a necklace! two of my favorite things

Thank you so so much POOL IS CLOSED, and my wife says thank you also! She makes fun of me for my goofy forum that i love but when she saw these gifts she was like "wow those are actually some pretty cool people?" and I was like "that's what I've been telling you!!"
Much love and yobmas reetings :love:

ty manifisto

alnilam

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

:dance: i'm glad everything survived the journey! i started getting worried when it didn't show up as scheduled on the 5th! the air is the most important part!!!

i hope you enjoy the mead! it's weirdly mild and dry thanks to champagne yeasts going bonkers on the honey + honeycrisp apples. it had a nice nose still when i last opened a bottle in october. (i actually cheat and add honey + seltzer to make a cocktail because by gob i will drink fizzy mead.) if for whatever reason that's a terrible bottle please let me know and i'll make it up to you, santee alnilam~

:shobon: also the bee bookmark is something my mom did, she went stamp-mad and the results were cute

I'm sure the mead will be excellent and I love the beeookmark sorry i didn't point it out

alnilam

i'm currently drinking the congolese coffee, i started with that one because it's a rare country i haven't had coffe from, and also because i don't get to use that demonym often

*smugly also checks off the word demonym*

it's really good! i made it in a pour-over
immediately upon the bloom (which is when you first pour water on and the grounds swell up and make good smells) i noticed a really fruity, almost grapey smell... in my experience african coffees have really berry-ish flavors and that's one reason they're my favs
the body is light and the flavor is ... kinda raisiny? in a good way, i like it v much thank you again POOL IS CLOSED :love:

haha just after typing that i looked on the bag and it says "RAISIN COMPLEX PUNCHY" so i guess i was right and now i'm going to go punch some things

ty manifisto

alnilam

this reminds me, attention to my santee, whenever you get to opening your gift: i want you to know that there's a little more coming but it might not come for a bit yet, and i want you to open what you get anyway! also the contents of the box you're receiving before the shipping deadline more than meets the BYOBSS minimum anyway so legally speaking i'm ban-safe and i'll be sending a "bonus gift" probably after the shipping daedline

ty manifisto

alnilam

:peanut:

the note mentions that Mr Rogers show is from Pittsburgh so both things are local in a way

There's another small ~~bonus gift~~ coming soon hopefully!

Also if you're gonna be in the actual city and want to drink a beer let me know!

alnilam

pssst... blurry shipping info showing in third pic...

alnilam

woah... POST office? coincidence?

alnilam

alnilam

IN FACT, inertia is a property of matter :byoscience:

alnilam

If anyone is having trouble shipping, I'll offer them my square on the quilt if that helps

alnilam

ty manifisto

alnilam

alnilam posted:

an amazing mug!!! it's actually way too awesome to waste at work, and my wife loves it too and told me she wants it here at home

I haven't even gotten to drink out of the mug yet because my wife likes it so much she keeps using it :coffeepal:

ty manifisto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam

super mario there's anther bonus thing on its way 2u :)

ty manifisto

• Locked thread