Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
are you one of us??
Yes, I am an ACHOO Victim
No, but I am an ACHOO Ally
No, and I'm in favor of suppressing sneezers.
I have never heard of ACHOO before
Go-CHOO
View Results

• Locked thread
Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
The photic sneeze reflex (also known as photoptarmosis, Autosomal Dominant Compelling Helio-Ophthalmic Outburst Syndrome (ACHOO)[1] and colloquially sun sneezing) is a condition that causes variable difficulty to control sneezing in response to numerous stimuli, such as looking at bright lights or periocular (surrounding the eyeball) injection. The condition affects 18 to 35% of the population in the United States,[2] but its exact mechanism of action is not well understood.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photic_sneeze_reflex

All my life I've had to put up with sneezing, sometimes up to two (2) times in a row when I go outside after sitting in a dark space or even just one without sufficient natural lighting for any noteworthy stretch of time!! As someone doomed to suffer a lifetime of ACHOO, I feel disadvantaged and like there might not be enough awareness of this condition on part of those who are not afflicted with it. This thread is a safe space for those of us who suffer a stream of constant microaggressions from the sun, and a place for those who are privileged enough to be free from this oppression to discuss ways they can raise awareness for and stand in solidarity (ACHOO allies) with ACHOO victims.

Prude fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i bet I could eat 200 grapes in one sitting

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I sneeze 2 or 3 times literally every day as I leave work

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It seems to happen less as I advance in my decrepitude.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think i sneeze normally

Thunder God Biden
Sep 8, 2004

Israel is not a legitimate entity, and no amount of pressure can force us to recognize its right to exist.

You can use this to your advantage if you have one of those sneezes that just won't happen. Look at a bright light and bam. Relief.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Every time I sneeze I queef

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
i have to let one rip everytime the sun shines on my butthole does that count?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah that happens to me it is extremely horrific and traumatic

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yeah, i am. unfortunately i picked up the habit of holding in my sneezes so sometimes going outside stings like a bitch.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

yes and the tingly third eye thing too, makes u think

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene
Heh, given that so far our poll shows us to be roughly sixty-five percent (65%) of people, looks like the scientists or doctors or whoever weren't too right about our minority status :smuggo:

those who didn't willingly ally themselves with us when we thought we had no power will now be first against the wall :commissar:

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I sneeze in that transition from inside to outside almost every time and pretty regularly have to explain that it's not allergies. Upshot is that if you are ever halfway to a sneeze all you have to do it go to a light source and stare into it for a second assuming you're ok with looking like a weirdo idiot but I mean hey

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I sneeze in that transition from inside to outside almost every time and pretty regularly have to explain that it's not allergies. Upshot is that if you are ever halfway to a sneeze all you have to do it go to a light source and stare into it for a second assuming you're ok with looking like a weirdo idiot but I mean hey

the sneezing is just part of the problem - the other half is when this spontaneous sneezing causes a temporarily runny nose or a feeling of "stuffiness" when i'm not at all sick and then i have to deal with that annoying bullshit

it's like the sneeze version of sharts or something

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Thunder God Biden posted:

You can use this to your advantage if you have one of those sneezes that just won't happen. Look at a bright light and bam. Relief.

been doing this for 35 years

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Every time I sneeze, I ejaculate.
What's that called?

Masturbasturd
Sep 1, 2014
Sometimes I'll get like six uncontrollable sneezes at sunset. Embarrassing when I'm at happy hour with all the "bless you"s. My old man did that too; sometimes he'd sneeze his dentures out at dinner.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i bet I could eat 200 grapes in one sitting

big seedy motherfuckers or just some tiny lil green ones?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I've never sneezed in response to a change in lighting, but I can make myself sneeze by thinking intently about certain topics.

I have no idea why this works.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've never sneezed in response to a change in lighting, but I can make myself sneeze by thinking intently about certain topics.

I have no idea why this works.

what's the most provocative sneeze topic ya got?

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

yeah i think so maybe

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah I have this. Not kidding, I've wanted to be a pilot most of my young life. My eyes are hosed, but surgery can fix that. Surgery can't fix uncontrollable sneezing when initially exposed to bright light. Mind, it doesn't last. I see the sun, or something bright, I sneeze once or twice, and it's over, but this apparently means I can never be a pilot. Isn't that cool? This weird thing where bright light just makes me lose my poo poo and blow snot everywhere, disqualifies me from like, the one job i ever wanted.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Prude posted:

what's the most provocative sneeze topic ya got?

Horny thoughts about exes.

Only works with exes or someone who's somehow off-limits, though, just regular attraction doesn't do it.

Lure of the forbidden = sneezes

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

basic hitler posted:

Yeah I have this. Not kidding, I've wanted to be a pilot most of my young life. My eyes are hosed, but surgery can fix that. Surgery can't fix uncontrollable sneezing when initially exposed to bright light. Mind, it doesn't last. I see the sun, or something bright, I sneeze once or twice, and it's over, but this apparently means I can never be a pilot. Isn't that cool? This weird thing where bright light just makes me lose my poo poo and blow snot everywhere, disqualifies me from like, the one job i ever wanted.

at least with our space age VR tech you can now be a pilot in the comfort of your own home without the possibility of dying (probably) or even maybe sneezing (probably - I don't think mine has ever been set off by my computer screen no matter how bright) and you can even pilot things other than planes!!

Two Free Toppings
Jul 1, 2007

SUCK
THE
SHIT
OUT
OF
MY
OWN
ASSHOLE
I wish I sneezed every time I saw a bright light. I sneeze very seldom but when I do it feels like goddang heaven.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Horny thoughts about exes.

Only works with exes or someone who's somehow off-limits, though, just regular attraction doesn't do it.

Lure of the forbidden = sneezes

This makes a lot of sense! Sex and sneezing go great together, as shown by this video and its comments!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVcU4ofwG78

I found this poo poo just seeing what was out there in terms of videos about ACHOO, was amused by the comments, but then clicked to see what else was on the channel and what do ya know, it's dedicated to sneeze fetishism!!

e; http://www.sneezefetishforum.org/ jesus christ this is just like the time i accidentally delved into the world of DizzyGirls™

Prude fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 2, 2016

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The sneeze may feel good, but stepping out of the car on a hot texas day, you gotta buy groceries at walmart or w/e, you've almost made it to the entrance, and suddenly you just violently sneeze around a dozen people leaving/entering, you want to loving die. It's the worst poo poo ever. If there's a medication for it, I want it.

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe
No, sorry, I'm not a broken person.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

pants in my pants posted:

No, sorry, I'm not a broken person.

it's a dominant gene so if u think about it, it's actually the good and proper quality to have as history in time will be told by the victors

it's the people who don't like cilantro who are broken, hth

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Nooner posted:

big seedy motherfuckers or just some tiny lil green ones?

if i see some seedy grapes hangin around i call the cops

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think I could drink 1000 grapes

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

you can drink unlimited grapes because you just pee it out when you get too full

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Prude posted:

it's the people who don't like cilantro who are broken, hth

This is very true. A life without cilantro is hardly a life at all.

Lenaway
Feb 8, 2006

Touch Fuzzy
Get Dizzy
I always thought you looked kind of autosomal, OP

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Eye-protection reflex master race representing.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

Groke posted:

Eye-protection reflex master race representing.

if this means what i think it does, then you must be one of those huge dweebs who never takes off their sunglasses lmao

pants in my pants
Aug 18, 2009

by Smythe

Prude posted:

if this means what i think it does, then you must be one of those huge dweebs who never takes off their sunglasses lmao

No, hoss, I think he's saying he sneezes too.

Prude
Nov 28, 2010

by Reene

pants in my pants posted:

No, hoss, I think he's saying he sneezes too.

well that's just YOUR interpretation bub

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I can't sneeze properly unless I pinch my nose shut. It's something I did once when I was a kid because there were no tissues around and I didn't want to get snot all over the place, but then I kept doing it and now if I try to sneeze without pinching my nostrils it doesn't come out all the way and I feel like something stopped the sneeze and it's still in my head. It's weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
I can cross just one eye.

• Locked thread