Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who isn't cancelled! :neckbeard:

but at what cost :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
The A's got Doctor Who cancelled and caused an earthquake, so that'll be a hard one to top.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who isn't cancelled! :neckbeard:

Let's party like it's NOT 1989!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

We just now got rid of Clara so I'm finally excited for the future :woop:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Clara was great, gently caress the haters.

(her leitmotif sucked tho)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like Clara as a character. It just feels like the writers failed her in the last couple seasons.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I liked the Impossible Girl bit, I didn't like middle Clara, but I liked the "too big for her breeches" storyline and the way she was resolved, at least when it was all said and done. She's kinda neat because (as far as I know having not yet watched any of 5-8)) she's the only companion who subjects The Doctor to the implications of time travel, and not vice versa.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm gonna be honest, I really preferred Amy and Rory and I think I was just really bummed when they (eventually) replaced them with Clara.

I don't think I ever gave her a fair chance but I'm not going to feel too bad about it.

edit: The new companion could be a fantastic flameout as well so who knows. Maybe I'll look back and be all "man I miss Coleman".

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 3, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Echoplex says she's lovely and I have no reason to doubt him.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is she going to be in the Christmas special or debut in the upcoming season?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The upcoming season. The Xmas special is a solo trip.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like Clara as a character. It just feels like the writers failed her in the last couple seasons.

I feel the opposite way. I think she started without enough characterization back during the half season where she was introduced, but gradually developed more as a character as the show went on.

One of us will have to change what we think so that the people who complain about the thread hivemind and "you people" will be right.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Bicyclops posted:

I feel the opposite way. I think she started without enough characterization back during the half season where she was introduced, but gradually developed more as a character as the show went on.

One of us will have to change what we think so that the people who complain about the thread hivemind and "you people" will be right.

I feel that Clara was a much better fit with Twelve as opposed to Eleven on top of getting character development.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I feel that Clara was a much better fit with Twelve as opposed to Eleven on top of getting character development.

Yeah, I agree. The conflict between them being "I have a duty of care!" vs. Clara wanting to be treated as an equal, with her own life and trajectory, was more interesting than whatever they were going for with Matt Smith, which at times seemed to be a kind of awkward romance.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

CobiWann posted:

Nah. She had a really good dynamic with Eleven, but that's probably because I liked The Snowmen and Cranky Joker Coat Eleven more than is reasonably healthy. Twelve and Clara never really clicked for me.

The plot development cumulated in Heaven Sent though and so I'm a-ok with her!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

Oh no, I agree with you about Clara's personal arc development. My issue is with the stories themselves. I hated nearly everything last season and I especially couldn't stand her pointless "death" and current status as glorified sidekick to one of the worst revival guest stars yet. She's a good companion saddled with mediocre-to-bad episodes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh hey; Big Finish just released the 2nd set of Third Doctor Adventures with Tim Treloar.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

So the BBC are releasing Power of the Daleks on bluray next year, with a colour version of it on the disc too.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

A reconstruction I can stomach, but colourisation is a bridge too far

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CobiWann posted:

Yeah, I was a big fan of Clara but that's mostly based on her two seasons with the 12th Doctor. She's very good in Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor with 11, but the back half of season 7 and the "Impossible Girl" stuff fell flat for me, and Clara lacked any real sense of identity. Part of that was deliberate, part of it was down to having Amy and Rory stick around a half season longer than they needed to (as much as I loved both of them). I'll miss her as the companion, but I feel like they'd completed a pretty satisfying character arc for her.

The_Doctor posted:

So the BBC are releasing Power of the Daleks on bluray next year, with a colour version of it on the disc too.

Fuccccccck :shepspends:

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
Has anyone got the Doctor Who comics Humble Bundle? The $1 tier seems to be only old IDW stuff, which I haven't read that much and what I've read I haven't liked that much, but for $8 and $15 you get Titan books as well, including the whole first and second volumes of the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor books and Vol. 1 of Twelve. Worth picking up?

Also holy poo poo we're getting Power of the Daleks live on TV holy poo poo, anyone know what time tomorrow it's going to appear on the BBC Store? (holy poo poo Power of the Daleks, can't wait to get the BluRay and all the deliciously unnecessary extras)

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Forktoss posted:

(holy poo poo Power of the Daleks, can't wait to get the BluRay and all the deliciously unnecessary extras)

You're not legit unless you get a signed copy from Anneke Wills

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

aaaaaah

https://twitter.com/BBCStore/status/794960053375639552

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing that really stands out to me, we're really lucky that even with all the missing episodes, we have full soundtracks and a bunch of people went and took photographs of seemingly every shot, such that it's possible to actually do things like this. A lot of shows do not have this kind of archival material from which to reconstruct anything.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Clara was great, gently caress the haters.

(her leitmotif sucked tho)

I like Clara's theme in isolation, but it's so jarringly different from the show's usual aural landscape that it really sticks out and feels like someone just changed the channel.

(That said, if they do a cliffhanger for Class and then that song starts playing I'll freak the gently caress out)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 21st Century has been so loving good for Doctor Who fans :shobon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
So... halfway through Heroes of Sontar, and it's basically a Danger Mouse episode, isn't it? I just keep waiting for this music cue to show up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrfZ8ZIVNuI&t=362s

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Finally decided to pick back up with the Eighth Doctor Adventures after some detours into Benny, T. Bakes, and John Hurt territories and I'm starting series 3 and uh, is it just me being a bit sensitive or is the villain in Orbis skirting pretty close to being uncomfortably transphobic? Like, it feels like some Buffalo Bill poo poo.

Forktoss posted:

Has anyone got the Doctor Who comics Humble Bundle? The $1 tier seems to be only old IDW stuff, which I haven't read that much and what I've read I haven't liked that much, but for $8 and $15 you get Titan books as well, including the whole first and second volumes of the Tenth and Eleventh Doctor books and Vol. 1 of Twelve. Worth picking up?

I've only read the single Eighth Doctor issue included so far but it was pretty good stuff. Interesting concept, fun new companion, made me want to read more. Can't really go wrong for the stuff there for the price even if it's more of a "taster" bundle.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Finally decided to pick back up with the Eighth Doctor Adventures after some detours into Benny, T. Bakes, and John Hurt territories and I'm starting series 3 and uh, is it just me being a bit sensitive or is the villain in Orbis skirting pretty close to being uncomfortably transphobic? Like, it feels like some Buffalo Bill poo poo.

Orbis is pretty good for the Doctor/Lucie dynamic, especially their reunion scene which is hilarious. Other than that it ranges from dull to frustrating to bad. For my own part I didn't get a sense of transphobia from the villain and their species, mostly because I was too busy being annoyed by the voice effect or finding them utterly underwhelming/unable to take them seriously as a threat since they seemed to be so incompetent.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of all the times that The Master says "I am your master and you will obey me"? From what I can remember he says a jokey version of it in Scream of the Shalka and it's pretty much his catchphrase in Big Finish, but I can't recall hearing it very often if at all in televised stories. Terror of the Autons, maybe?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Does anyone have any personal opinions of the Power of the Daleks episodes released so far?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

Does anyone have any personal opinions of the Power of the Daleks episodes released so far?

Not in the UK so I have to wait to see it in a theater release in a week or so. An entire week. No Doctor Who fan has ever had to wait so long to see an episode :gonk:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I'm buying the Hell out of the Power of the Daleks blu-ray. I hope they to Mission to the Unknown/The Daleks' Masterplan soon. The Highlanders would own, but I bet they stick with Monster episodes for complete reconstructions like this.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CaptainYesterday posted:

So far it's excellent. The animation, while still very much on a BBC Worldwide budget, is such a vast improvement from even the fairly good work done for The Invasion or The Ice Warriors, mainly in that it all feels a lot less flat, and the less said about the absolute garbage of The Reign of Terror, The Tenth Planet and The Moonbase the better. The use of 3D models for the Daleks was a very clever idea and it's pretty much the only monster it could ever have worked for. The animation also manages to effectively capture facial expressions, even though it makes Patrick Troughton and Michael Craze look a bit ugly.

Story-wise I don't think anyone will be surprised to find out that The Power of the Daleks is also great, given that's the general opinion of anyone who's ever listened to the soundtrack. It's also got some great incidental music and my personal favourite Dalek voices.

I'd very much like to see some other episodes reconstructed this way. The obvious first steps would be The Evil of the Daleks and The Daleks' Master Plan, given that they could just re-use the same models for the Daleks, although 9 episodes plus Mission to the Unknown might be a bit much. At least neither story would have to be fully animated, which is a major plus, and it would give us every Dalek story on DVD.

EDIT: Another problem I can see arising with any future animation is the financial incentive. It wouldn't surprise me if The Power of the Daleks ended up selling well, but the circumstances very much weigh in its favour: it's the 50th anniversary of the 2nd Doctor, it's his first story, and it's had a lot of hype around it. I'm not sure either of the other Dalek stories would carry as much appeal, never mind something like The Highlanders. They could always announce a version of Evil that'll be ready for release on its 50th anniversary in May, but that's immensely unlikely at best.

cargohills fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Nov 6, 2016

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

cargohills posted:

Apropos of nothing, does anyone know if there's a list somewhere of all the times that The Master says "I am your master and you will obey me"? From what I can remember he says a jokey version of it in Scream of the Shalka and it's pretty much his catchphrase in Big Finish, but I can't recall hearing it very often if at all in televised stories. Terror of the Autons, maybe?

I know for a fact he says it in Planet of Fire.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

A colour version of the Celestial Toymaker would rock.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

The_Doctor posted:

A colour version of the Celestial Toymaker would rock.

They'd run out of yellow before episode 3.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainYesterday posted:

This made me laugh out loud much more than I wish it had

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CaptainYesterday posted:

Burkion posted:

This made me laugh out loud much more than I wish it had

Holy poo poo, same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

CaptainYesterday posted:

• Locked thread