Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The person who put that cover together should have their copy of photoshop taken away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Just a reminder for Secret Santa, tomorrow Friday 18th November is the last day to sign up!

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

Bicyclops posted:

I'd also argue that a lot of what stunts Enterprise before it can even take off is being weighed down by about 40 years of "the Trek Universe."

The episode where Enterprise tries to make a canon explanation for why 60's Klingons had different foreheads was definitely the point where it had bludgeoned itself to death with it's own continuity.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yeah that cover is pretty horrendously put together.

echoplex posted:

The episode where Enterprise tries to make a canon explanation for why 60's Klingons had different foreheads was definitely the point where it had bludgeoned itself to death with it's own continuity.

Especially since DS9 already handled it in the best way possible (apart from completely ignoring it which is the absolute best and most correct way to handle it).

Bashir: Those Klingons don't have forehead ridg-
Worf: We do not talk about that :colbert:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
(no DW in couch chat so hi)

quote:

Why does Doctor Who almost always feature a female companion? Series boss Steven Moffat has spoken out on the issue...
The showrunner insisted that the show itself is "rather female" - and that it would be "damaging" not to have a woman at the Doctor's side.
"Science-fiction is notoriously male," he told Doctor Who Magazine. "You can tell that because everyone wears uniforms and marches around talking about rules.
"But Doctor Who has always felt to me, rather female. It's full of kindness and compassion and eccentricity and wisdom instead of violence. And from that point of view it is important that the main character, the Doctor's best friend, should be female."
He added: "I think it would be damaging to Doctor Who if that voice and viewpoint were not represented."

good job with the gender stereotyping moffat you bumblefuck moron

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It would be a shame if that viewpoint (viz: what male authors think women characters should say) wasn't represented

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

i see what he's getting at, he just phrases it like an old person

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Moffat should never be allowed near a microphone because every time he approaches one, he performs a magic trick where he shoves his foot into his mouth and somehow kicks one of his old teleplays with it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we just ban Moffat from interviews

For all time

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The next few months will probably feature a series of interviews where Moff makes himself look worse and worse and end with the show getting canceled.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The next few months will probably feature a series of interviews where Moff makes himself look worse and worse and end with the show getting canceled.

If he's not careful he might not be the showrunner after season 10!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jerusalem posted:

If he's not careful he might not be the showrunner after season 10!

His plan is to drag the show down to the dirt before he leaves.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Rhyno posted:

His plan is to drag the show down to the dirt before he leaves.

You're delusional if you think Moffat is some kind of goddamn supervillain, like for real.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

You're delusional if you think Moffat is some kind of goddamn supervillain, like for real.

MOFFAT KILLED MY FATHER.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, he couldn't be described as 'super' in any way. He's more of a regular villain.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

why would moffat want doctor who to die without him. he's a big loving nerd who wants more doctor who to watch.

it's 2016, why do these bizarre perceptions still exist

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

why would moffat want doctor who to die without him. he's a big loving nerd who wants more doctor who to watch.

it's 2016, why do these bizarre perceptions still exist

Clearly we are being 100% serious about this.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Whoa, David Suchet is going to be in an episode this season? It's going to be weird seeing him play someone besides Poirot anymore. Pitting the Doctor against the famous Belgian detective is sure to stir up a real... Wasp's Nest. ;)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bicyclops posted:

Whoa, David Suchet is going to be in an episode this season? It's going to be weird seeing him play someone besides Poirot anymore. Pitting the Doctor against the famous Belgian detective is sure to stir up a real... Wasp's Nest. ;)

He was actually put up as one of the possible replacements of Tenant before Smith was hired, if I remember right. That would have been pretty cool, but then they found an actual alien (possessed by the spirit of Patrick Troughton no less!) so that put an end to that.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I could see him being a great Master under the right circumstances. I'm glad he's got a role, either way, and that he gets to work with Peter Capaldi.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/unit-assembled

Guess whose back for the fourth Big Finish UNIT story?

quote:

New and classic eras of UNIT will come together in Big Finish’s four-disc audio drama UNIT: Assembled, which is released in May 2017. The ongoing series, which tells the further adventures of Kate Stewart (Jemma Redgrave) and Osgood (Ingrid Oliver) gains three special recruits for the box set - Jo Jones (Katy Manning), John Benton (John Levene) and Mike Yates (Richard Franklin).

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

CobiWann posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/unit-assembled

Guess whose back for the fourth Big Finish UNIT story?

How is

He

....time travel fine sure whatever I'll take it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In the ultimate culmination of his story arcs, Moffat appears as himself in the S10 finale, looks into a mirror and bellows "YOU ARE ERASED FROM DOCTOR WHO!". The episode ends. Fans worldwide can't seem to recall anything from the previous six years, but are left with a nagging feeling of loss.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm on Time Flight now on my front-to-back Classic Who sojurn. I'm starting to enjoy the screwdriverless stories. I can see lots of little points in the writing where the writers could have had Davison pull out a sonic screwdriver to solve a problem, but some other smaller charming thing happens instead - such as flipping a coin to decide which path to take (as opposed to scanning with the sonic).

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In the ultimate culmination of his story arcs, Moffat appears as himself in the S10 finale, looks into a mirror and bellows "YOU ARE ERASED FROM DOCTOR WHO!". The episode ends. Fans worldwide can't seem to recall anything from the previous six years, but are left with a nagging feeling of loss.

He then uses his immense power to teleport from home to home where he snaps every single DVD and BR disc of Doctor Who in half.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

He then uses his immense power to teleport from home to home where he snaps every single DVD and BR disc of Doctor Who in half.

Defeated in my home as the prophecy foretold, I tear off his mask to reveal he was the 1960s BBC reuse policy all along!

ThaGhettoJew
Jul 4, 2003

The world is a ghetto

CommonShore posted:

I'm on Time Flight now on my front-to-back Classic Who sojurn. I'm starting to enjoy the screwdriverless stories. I can see lots of little points in the writing where the writers could have had Davison pull out a sonic screwdriver to solve a problem, but some other smaller charming thing happens instead - such as flipping a coin to decide which path to take (as opposed to scanning with the sonic).

Time-Flight also has the best unnecessarily pointless villain twist ever. It's not a particularly good story by most metrics, but there are some very fine Davison moments, Tegan is in her element finally, and Adric actually manages not to ruin anything because he is dead.

Also Nyssa is there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

ThaGhettoJew posted:

Time-Flight also has the best unnecessarily pointless villain twist ever.

It's great because the Doctor isn't fooled for a second (well he doesn't know WHO the bad guy is, but he knows he isn't what he says he is) and then when the reveal finally comes, it's all,"AHA I WASN'T ACTUALLY A MAGICIAN AT ALL!"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

It's great because the Doctor isn't fooled for a second (well he doesn't know WHO the bad guy is, but he knows he isn't what he says he is) and then when the reveal finally comes, it's all,"AHA I WASN'T ACTUALLY A MAGICIAN AT ALL!"

That's where I stopped last night :3:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Clip from this year's X-Mas special:

https://twitter.com/DWMtweets/status/799718696306479104

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Seems like typical, goofy Christmas-fare. Some of the comedic timing seems off to me, but parts of that could be context dependent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I am exceptionally okay with an episode about the Doctor trying to figure out being in a modern superhero movie.

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

I HAVE NEVER NEEDED ANYTHING MORE~!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Cleretic posted:

I am exceptionally okay with an episode about the Doctor trying to figure out being in a modern superhero movie.

"How on earth are all of you people related to one another?" *sonic screwdiver explodes* "Well, that's done it. A huge amount of information too irritating to scan. Just give me the Netflix version."

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Was that another new costume Capaldi has? It looks more black on grey than the plum red from last season.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

He has a new jacket with blue lining instead of red this year. Possibly as a per-episode variant like blue/brown Tennant.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'll just stay with The Return of Captain Invincible thanks

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

I rather enjoyed that preview/teaser/trailer/whatever.

Got in on DWSS at the last minute, and as I don't have tons of financial/general drama going on this year I fully intend to rock it to make up for my poor showing last year. Planning in advance financially, believe it or not, is helpful!

Can't wait to get my assignment and start creepily stalking my victim. I generally hate the holidays, but love Doctor Who and this thread is one of my favorites on SA (if not my fav).

Splendid posters, all of you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

He has a new jacket with blue lining instead of red this year. Possibly as a per-episode variant like blue/brown Tennant.

Bah, I liked hoodie, guitar and shades Twelve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So I just got back from Doctor Strange, and maybe it's because I haven't seen the show for long enough that I've started seeing it elsewhere, but it is a VERY Doctor Who-esque movie. It only gets more pronounced as the movie goes, honestly, to the point where the climax is basically just Heaven Sent's ending.

EDIT: In fact, I can't shake the notion that the early sequence of Strange's consciousness getting tossed across reality includes a few shots based on Who title sequences. I recall being reminded of Four's, Ten's and Eleven's in particular.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 19, 2016

• Locked thread