Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

One of my favorite BF stories, seconding this recommendation

Also let's all just appreciate this cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

AndyElusive posted:

Ya, I do not think Idris Elba would do Doctor Who.

I mean the guy is basically A-List level now isn't he?

Has he gotten a lot of lead roles in Hollywood yet? He seems forever stuck in the supporting roles.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

howe_sam posted:

He's the lead in the Dark Tower adaptation coming out this year, so that's one at least.

Ahh, I completely forgot about that! One of these days I should try reading that book series again

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Decided to listen through the first 3 War Doctor boxes both in anticipation of box 4 and in memoriam of John Hurt....listening to the interview section on the first one is quite literally making me tear up a little bit.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Apologies for phone screenshot...BUT BIG FINISH IS DOING 9 AND 11 STORIES!!!!!

Edit: okay, more info: Nick Briggs is doing narration and the voice of all the Doctors. Camille and Bruno are back as Jackie and Adam for the 9 story, and that one is written by the same guy who did the recent 9th doctor comics.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 10, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

jivjov posted:

Apologies for phone screenshot...BUT BIG FINISH IS DOING 9 AND 11 STORIES!!!!!

Edit: okay, more info: Nick Briggs is doing narration and the voice of all the Doctors. Camille and Bruno are back as Jackie and Adam for the 9 story, and that one is written by the same guy who did the recent 9th doctor comics.

Quoting since i got stuck at the bottom of the last page

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Attitude Indicator posted:

Can't wait for more stories with Adam! (who?)

He's honestly one of the more memorable side characters from 9's run for me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, we thought for the longest time that Tom wouldn't come back. Now we have like 6 seasons of audios with him. Starting with narrated/companion 9 stories is a springboard to Chris possibly coming back.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

To me after having Tennant back for a series this seems like a step back. Makes me a bit worried about future 10th/11th Doctor stories with Tennant and Smith. Did the 10/Donna series not sell well enough to justify the cost of having him back?

Tennant and Tate have really active and busy careers; makes it a lot harder to get them in for Big Finish recordings.

I don't thing BF releases sales numbers...but the fact that their website crashed the day the 10/Donna set came out should tell you something about their popularity.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Under their current license from the BBC, they can't touch 12 or anything originating in 12's episodes anyway.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished up Big Finish's Invisible Man. Hurt's performance was great, the adaptation was great, highly recommended!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I was looking at the page for Doom Coalition 4, in anticipation of it coming out next month; I noticed that in the cast list they have two different actresses credited for Ollistra. 1) I guess Ollistra is showing up in Doom Coalition, and 2) it looks like we're getting a regeneration of her into Jacqueline Pearce

Oh, and Veklin is in. I'm wondering if DC4 is going to lead directly into the Time War set and then into the War Doctor stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Got some firsts for the Short Trips line coming up:

Jago and Litefoot meet the 10th Doctor in March and April

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Astroman posted:

Wow, that sounds great because I'm loving Jago and Litefoot these days, but no Tennant no deal IMO. :(

I'd take this as a huge indicator that BF has given up on having him back for the foreseeable future.

I don't think a short trip has been read by a Doctor actor since the big 8 story box set releases

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The Five Doctors has that hidden commentary track where they all get increasingly drunk as it goes on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The March Listener's Title from Big Finish is The Mahogany Murderers! This Companion Chronicle was the debut of Jago and Litefoot, Investigators of Infernal Incidents, in the Big Finish family, and served as the pilot episode for their own long-running line of anthology releases. Well worth the $2.99!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm really hoping that the Jago and Litefoot Short Trips coming up plus this being the Listener's Title is the herald of a Jago and Litefoot sale...I could use some more of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

egon_beeblebrox posted:

https://www.bigfinish.com/news/v/flash-sale---jago-litefoot-series-1

Jago and Litefoot series one on sale for £5 through tomorrow.

Of course it's the one box I already own, haha. Ah well.

Box of Bunnies posted:

That's how they get you. Ya think "I'll just check out a couple of the cheap early releases", nek minnit

I feel your pain. And I only started buying in earnest when the app was released.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 1, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Cleretic posted:

Yeah, the only real disappointment there is both Four and Eight getting the Vashta Nerada. I mean I like them too, and I'm sure both stories will be good, but surely there's enough new Doctor enemies that they don't have to do the same one twice in the same set.

EDIT: I went to see what potential picks there could be that would be interesting, and am now distracted by the fact that holy poo poo, Adam Mitchell was the villain of IDW's 50th anniversary series and his wiki article is kind of hilarious as a result.

Apparently the 4/8 Vashta Nerada stories are directly linked; so it's less laziness of reuse and more exploring the consequences of one doctor's adventures later on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I've been going back through all the Doom Coalition episodes before listening to the 4th box. (New Zelda game got in the way of me finishing them before release of 4). Absent Friends is still a really powerful episode and absolutely deserves that award it won.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My big problem with the Big Finish stuff showing up on Humble is that the stories don't get attached to your Big Finish account, and as such can't be managed through their app.

It's a great deal, to be sure...but the loss of the convenience factor is a major negative to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So very very first world. I still have stuff from the first Big Finish Humble Bundle that I haven't bothered to listen to because I don't want to manually manage the mp3s.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh man, yeah, I really miss the old audiobooks management. It's poo poo in modern iOS.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Can I add files into the BF app? I've got a ton of audios in MP3/m4a format already.

You can't add anything manually, but anything you've purchased from their site is automatically integrated into your app library.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh goodness. The newest Torchwood audio that just came out the other day, Visiting Hours, was proper hilarious. And also creepy. And the behind the scenes interview was one of the best 9 minutes of audio content I've ever heard from Big Finish.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I actually was rather lukewarm on Before the Fall. My favorites thus far have been Ghost Mission, Fall to Earth, Forgotten Lives, Broken, and now Visiting Hours.

I didn't like Archive or Before the Fall much at all. Outbreak was decent, but not spectacular. Made You Look had a LOT of promise and a tepid ending.

I liked the sound of the preview for Corpse Day. Anything with Andy is great, I'm glad they were able to get Burn Gorman back...but I'm just still not sold on Owen as a character. It's one thing to present a flawed character...but torchwood the TV show presented his sexual assault, nigh rape, as something funny, which I'm not okay with.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm listening to the old 4 part UNIT series. I know it's completely unintentional...but hearing "Turn then over to ICIS (pronounced ISIS)" and "Make Britain Great Again"....it's unnerving.

Edit: goddamn, now they're stirring up manufactured outrage against Muslims. This is eerie.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Mar 18, 2017

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Series started in 2004

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I think the Doctor Who Experience in Cardiff is shutting down soon. Hit that up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CommonShore posted:

Just finished Survival and I've started the movie. I'm about 70 minutes away from having watched every extant doctor who story from the main canon. It has taken me about two years to slowly work my way through them

After this comes the 1960s movies, and then the audio reconstructions, and then follows the sweet release of death. the Big Finish audios

ftfy

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/843495316657790977

This guy's been steadily expanding this gif since last night. It's so good.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/843570765974966272

Here's the All Classic Doctors version

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Where's the secondary control room?

He mentioned in a previous tweet that the gif's file size was already huge enough, and he wouldn't be showing alternate control rooms or costumes.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I bought series 2-6, because even spending $100 was probably a bit irresponsible of me. Makes me sad though...I'd love to binge through 11+ series of J&L.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I highly and unreservedly recommend the Jago & Litefoot meet the 10th Doctor short trip. It has a very pleasing twist to it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

CobiWann posted:

Oh my, it's only TWO weeks from new Doctor Who?

How have we waited this long without going mad?

I've been sustaining myself on a steady diet of Big Finish

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
In a rare move for the Short Trips line, the second part of The Jago & Litefoot Revival is out now. They even made up an alternate cover for it, but be warned, if you have not listened to Part 1, here there be spoilers:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/christhebarker/status/846119087755464704

Also, this guy finished his gif

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

The_Doctor posted:

Handles! Well done, mate. :')

I tweeted to him that the inclusion of Handles justified his someone questionable inclusion of some of the other one-off companions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

McGann posted:

I was so excited when I got to the end of Part 1 and realized where they were going with that. Work needs to hurry up and be done, I've got dog-walking and Big Finish to get to, damnit!

My wife and I listened to Part 1 on the drive home from work. As soon as Jago said "the juggler wearing a fez", we got really excited.

• Locked thread