Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who loving sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I remain split between watching Class out of some sort of pseudo-professional obligation and just not giving a gently caress.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Your next project should be watching the lovely DW spinoffs in order, starting with K-9 and Company.

When my pm inbox gets all hosed up, I just want you to know I am going to be directly blaming you and this post.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also jeru we should Do A Thing sometime. I dunno what yet but I think it would be cool.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

As a guy who's written extensively, far too extensively, on the question of the Doctor's morality, calling him a "bad guy" is needlessly reductionist to outright disingenuous. The Doctor's, at his very worst (The Christmas Invasion), as cruel as the world in which he inhabits. He commits genocide on a race of beings that are about to commit genocide. That doesn't make what he does right, and it's pretty reprehensible, but relatively speaking he's a corrective force, reacting to the situation he's in over creating the situation he's in.

He's an unequivocal force for good in this universe. The entire of the premise of the show hinges on that truism, and at its heart Doctor Who is a deeply optimistic show about the triumph of simple goodness over our more craven and selfish desires. The construction of the program relies entirely on the Doctor being a good guy; without that assumption the very show falls completely apart. It's also why, when RTD ruminated on "Is the Doctor good????" approximately 2,784,510,239 times (conservative estimate) during his run, the answer was always "Yes." Because the show doesn't work at all if he's not.

However, I would argue that The Doctor isn't an especially good person. He does good, but has so many character flaws he's often incredibly hard to sympathize with. He's not a madman with a box, and he's definitely not a psychopath with a box. He's an rear end in a top hat with a box. Especially Twelve.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

CobiWann posted:

What could people possibly be angry about?

Did you see last year's Christmas special?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

That's not last year's Christmas special.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm just letting you all know.

If the Cubs lose this game, Doctor Who is cancelled.

I'm not a Cubs fan, mind you, but there's a poison pill clause in Doctor Who that if the Cubs lose a deciding Game 7 of the World loving Series after five loving runs up and a rain delay that kicks off extra innings, the entire of Doctor Who is just scrapped.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 3, 2016

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Doctor Who remains uncancelled...for now...

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

How was Class? How was the Christmas special? Also, oh god Jeru is a mod now, the bar has been lowered as far as it could possibly go when Doctor Who goons are calling the shots. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Astroman posted:

They got everybody but T Bakes, who I assume will be up for bidding on a pub trip.

They only went after the good ones.

• Locked thread