Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Change, and not a moment too soon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Yeah, a true six cosplayer would weigh around 230 and get perms every week

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Was there ever a reason given for why the recent 2nd Doc releases were so barebones? Power seems to be going back to the typical "everything and the kitchen sink".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's not startlingly accurate without the eyebrows.

and the ridiculous run

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

uvar posted:

Do Big Finish audios get discounted much? I've only got into them recently and while the first fifty in the main range are nice and cheap, it looks like it becomes an expensive habit after that. - $13 each is fine, but even if I just do McGann's stuff I have a decade-plus to catch up on. The bundles don't seem much cheaper, just more convenient, and the subscriptions aren't useful if I only want stories here and there. I don't want to whine, I'd just rather not go broke feeding my addiction if there's an alternative.

(I feel like I should admit that the main reason I picked McGann: I got into Doctor Who via the BBC Eighth Doctor Adventure books, and ended up collecting the whole series - still have them in the attic somewhere. Discovering years later that other people also thought a bunch were rubbish was kind of cathartic.)

P.S., Jerusalem, and the other person who did some in another thread: I haven't read very many, but I appreciate the write-ups!

They do themed sales every now and then, plus the occasional Humble Bundle.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

I remain split between watching Class out of some sort of pseudo-professional obligation and just not giving a gently caress.

Your next project should be watching the lovely DW spinoffs in order, starting with K-9 and Company.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

I own something like 80-85% of the main monthly range and I think I've paid full price for.... two of the audios? These are a ton of themed sales all the time, to the point that I sometimes decide to take advantage of one and go to grab the dozen or so titles on discount and realize I already own all of them :sweatdrop:

I'm glad, thanks :) Mostly my original intention was just to have my own thoughts written down so I could remember what my initial take on them was but I'm pleased others get something out of them too :)

FWIW, I read your reviews even though I've only ever listened to one audio.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

When my pm inbox gets all hosed up, I just want you to know I am going to be directly blaming you and this post.

I'm ok with this

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Are we doing DWSS? It's the one time per year I get to pretend to be nice. :ohdear:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

CommonShore posted:

Secret santa could be fun but I don't know what stuff the thread considers good. Last year I saw people posting pictures of books and miniatures and the like.

I usually give out DW DVDs and Books for starters, then little stuff from my hometown. I think I've also given games before. Your best bet is to check your Santee's post history and see where else they post to get ideas.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I still haven't watched it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Fair warning; If I get you for DWSS and you happen to be a Cubs fan, you will be getting coal.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

Doctor Who isn't cancelled! :neckbeard:

but at what cost :negative:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I like Clara as a character. It just feels like the writers failed her in the last couple seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Is she going to be in the Christmas special or debut in the upcoming season?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

I feel the opposite way. I think she started without enough characterization back during the half season where she was introduced, but gradually developed more as a character as the show went on.

One of us will have to change what we think so that the people who complain about the thread hivemind and "you people" will be right.

Oh no, I agree with you about Clara's personal arc development. My issue is with the stories themselves. I hated nearly everything last season and I especially couldn't stand her pointless "death" and current status as glorified sidekick to one of the worst revival guest stars yet. She's a good companion saddled with mediocre-to-bad episodes.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

To be fair they weren't that different than Trump's

Maybe we'll have it easy and be part of the 10% killed by Toclafane

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Any DWSS Santee I get this year is going to get a bottle of Xanax and a bottle of bourbon to go along with whatever Doctor Who thing I include.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It’s time for…

:siren: THE 2016 DOCTOR WHO THREAD SECRET SANTA! :siren:

Yes, it’s that time of the year again!

If you're new to this Secret Santa malarkey, we all throw our names into my hat, you receive a random name, and send that person a lovely gift of DOCTOR WHO goodies, toys, candy, maybe some booze (postage allowing), and all around a big ol' ball of holiday cheer! It's fun, trust me. No really.

SIGNING UP:

1) First thing, sign up here: http://goo.gl/forms/ldaiubFMd7

If you find you are having problems, email me at doctorwhosecretsanta [at] gmail [dot] com
In the subject, please include the tag [DWSS] as I am running another Secret Santa and don’t want to confuse the two.

2) Post in this thread! Tell us what kinds of stuff you're into! Once Santas are assigned, we're all going to be trying to figure each other out, so some healthy conversation will help things go smoothly.

3) DEADLINE: The deadline for sign-ups is FRIDAY NOVEMBER 18TH! #SAVETHEDAY Assignments will go out shortly thereafter.

4) BUDGET: Somewhere in the $25-$30 (£15-20) range (before shipping). You're welcome to spend more, but that's no guarantee you'll get that much in return. Gag gifts are cool, but please include some kind of actual gift.

5) COLLEGE STUDENTS: Remember that these gifts will likely go out around the holiday break, so be mindful of which address you give me. If you have any concerns about packages being stolen from your doorstep, use the address of your work/friend/parents, just so long as it's cool with them.

6) INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING: If you sign up for this, you are agreeing to the possibility of getting an international address. The USPS international price calculator can be found here.

7) SHIPPING DEADLINES:

Royal Mail last posting days: http://www.royalmail.com/greetings

USPS Holiday deadlines: https://www.usps.com/holiday/

8) WHEN YOUR GIFT ARRIVES: Show us your loot! Take pictures! You can wait until Christmas morning if you want, but still, show us all the awesome goodies your Santa brought you.

9) LATE PACKAGES: If you haven't received your gift by January 1st, let me know so I can look into it. If you haven't SENT your gift by December 15th, let me know so I can contact your recipient.

10) DON'T BE A DEADBEAT: If you sign up, please get your person something. Nobody likes a deadbeat santa.

11) FINALLY: A Merry Christmas to all of you at home!

12)

LET'S DO THIS

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
This is why you fly into Gatwick and sleep on the train in.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Burkion posted:

I mean unless something really out of left field comes up, one of those moves is temporary, like a really lovely 4 to 8 year rash that could have some unpleasant after effects for a few years after.

The other one is a wee bit more long term

Your dick move hasn't happened yet. Our dick move just appointed a white nationalist piece of poo poo to his cabinet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe Mathieson will be allowed to write without Moffat screwing with his script this time.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
In the ultimate culmination of his story arcs, Moffat appears as himself in the S10 finale, looks into a mirror and bellows "YOU ARE ERASED FROM DOCTOR WHO!". The episode ends. Fans worldwide can't seem to recall anything from the previous six years, but are left with a nagging feeling of loss.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cerv posted:

a day out in an old quarry seems an appropriate rendezvous

I'll bring the discarded burger wrappers

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

echoplex posted:

Better than Back to the Future II, not as good as Back to the Future III

Huh, I thought I was the only person on Earth who preferred III to II.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Maybe it's because the Internet seems to adore II, but I really thought the general consensus on III was that most found it to be an unsatisfactory and flawed end to the trilogy.

I think it's fantastic. :shrug: It was always my favorite, even as a kid.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Speaking of, does anyone have the Amazon US listing for Power handy? Search just brings up the old VHS and a couple books.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I blame the Cubs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
My Santee is from a far off land that I'm not sure exists.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
DWSS is always a bit of an adventure and this year is no different. After some exchange rate and retailer research, Santee, your present is on the way!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
:siren:Heads up for US folks:siren:

Barnes and Noble has all British TV DVDs on sale for 50% off til 12/12. That includes recent revival releases and the 2nd Doc stuff from last year. Good time to stock up for yourself or your Santee. Dunno if the sale is also online, I was in-store.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I'm an idiot who can't keep track of what I've already bought, so I now find myself with extra Region 2 copies of The Ice Warriors and Web of Fear. Any US goons interested for $10 each (shipping included)?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bicyclops posted:

even forcing her to do her horrible, no-good American accent in public appearances

...why?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Glad to hear it arrived okay. :sweatdrop: I placed the order weeks ago and Booktopia took their sweet time getting it out of the warehouse.

Enjoy!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
TIL Santa lives in Maryland!

It doesn't say who my Santa was, but thanks for the books and the Old Bay! The cookies were delicious and didn't survive long enough to be pictured. I gotta find a place online that ships them to Texas, because :drat: they were delicious.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Hot take; all the revival Christmas specials have been terrible and this one will be no different. A Christmas Carol is the most watchable, but it's still pretty bad and the flying sharks make me want to roll my eyes clear through the back of my head.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
At least it wasn't something sudden and he likely had time to get his affairs in order and say his goodbyes. Still :smith:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, to make the Eddie Redmayne/11th Doctor even weirder, Rory is going to be Dumbledore in Fantastic Beasts 2.

That's some very bizarre casting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Jerusalem posted:

It has been a looooooooong time between regular episodes, but the wait is almost over!

Completely outside my remit sorry. Report them and the TVIV mod will make a decision on it.

This is a derail, but how long have you been a mod? I never noticed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Astroman posted:

Barbara hides and Altos goes into a room to meet with the true rulers of Morphoton, which are BRAINS in JARS with EYES!

Take it all in. This is a thing that happened on Doctor Who.
This is rad and cool and I refuse to hear dissenting opinions.

quote:

"THIS PLOT DEVICE MAKES NO SENSE!!!
If only there were a way to include images in thread titles :allears:

• Locked thread