Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Also that there was an attempt to revive it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

No MCOG? For shame

What about Spartakus and the Sun Beneath the Sea?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I'm not entirely sure what the Doctor is doing in Revelations, he barely does anything.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

The episode was very slight and inconsequential, but at the end I thought "aww, that was sweet", so I'm counting it as a good 'un. Didn't have much to say about "superheroes" (I don't think Moffat was really trying to take them down or anything- at the end they say they'll keep the costume around) but the characters were engaging enough for me to root for them.

Liked Charity Wakefield as Lucy especially. Had a lot of fun with her character.

Yeah, that's pretty much where I landed too. Can't see myself rewatching it but it was the kind of breezy fun that a Christmas episode should be.

Matt Lucas' character was so much less annoying than I was expecting too, which bodes well.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Dabir posted:

The villains' plot was literally just the Slitheen except for their endgame, right?

Broadly, although the goal for the brains was to infiltrate the governments whereas the Slitheen did it as part of the plan.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

CobiWann posted:

Back in the classic era, how long did an episode like, say, The Seeds of Doom take to write?

Seeds of Doom was done faster than average I think, partly because it ended up replacing what became Hand of Fear.

It was normally a few months from the script being commissioned to the start of filming I think?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://twitter.com/realDavrosTrump/status/803888332447027200

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Time to rewatch I, Clavdivs I think.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

That movie is loving gorgeous and the cast is amazing. It never quite reaches the height of the old TV series (Alec Guinness' Smiley is astonishing) but it's a hell of a movie, and Hurt is great (as always) in it.
The aesthetic difference between a TV show shot in the 1970s and a movie filmed in the past few but set in the 1970s is pretty funny.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Spaced is very of its time, I fee. I caught an episode recently on tv and it felt very dated in a way that Black Books doesn't (considering they were contemporaneous is impressive).

Some of the pop-culture stuff is definitely like that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

It feels very much like the last vestige of a happier time to me. It's an idealised daydream of the late 90s/early 2000s.

EDIT - One of the reasons I can tell that this is the case is because I try to show it to people five or six years younger than me and they just don't get it at all. It's not just the dated pop culture references. The whole atmosphere of it just doesn't make sense to them. That and the fact that everyone uses landlines to call each other, and everyone smokes in pubs.

Yeah, a lot of late-90s stuff (ie up to September 11) has a sense that everything's going to be okay, or that everything is going to be boring. Stuff like Fight Club or American Beauty falls into the latter category, with The Matrix kinda trying to play it both ways (the 90s are the peak of human civilisation).

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The_Doctor posted:

Honestly, Idris or bust.

Too suave.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

If you don't want to be considered a political writer maybe don't write political stories.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Not the first time they've made that reference either

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

FreezingInferno posted:

What terrors would we see from an Ian Levine-ran series, though?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_ONXNSufZ4

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Yes

(Well, clearly not all of them - but in 1995 you could have copies of, among others, Talons, Genesis, Tomb, The Azteks, The Robots of Death, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The War Games, The Time Warrior, The Ark in Space, Spearhead from Space, Pyramids of Mars, Brain of Morbius, etc etc etc)

Yeah, I remember borrowing a bunch of those specific ones from the library when I was growing up. Or taping them from ABC reruns at 4:30AM or whatever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Well Manicured Man posted:

When hasn't the Master had a paper-thin pseudonym, besides "Harold Saxon"?
Emil Keller is about the only one I can think of.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The God Complex?

I'm not quite sure what you're after either, to be honest.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It shouldn't have been posted but for what it's worth it's going to be basically impossible not to know about it in advance anyway.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

How was Class? How was the Christmas special? Also, oh god Jeru is a mod now, the bar has been lowered as far as it could possibly go when Doctor Who goons are calling the shots. :smith:

Christmas special was decent and inoffensive. Matt Lucas was surprisingly good.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Where's the secondary control room?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HsqArxhWU

How had I never seen this before? The others (The Pitch of Fear, The Web of Caves) are great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Ah. Is it still on Netflix in the commonwealth, or is it on some local streamer?

Classic Who isn't available for streaming in Australia.

• Locked thread