Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

I wasn't expecting quite so many characters, nor the return of the Angels so soon after Classic Doctors New Monsters.
With the inclusion of Ollistra, I'm guessing they're going to use this to jump start their early Time War series thing they've been planning for a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. I only listen to Benny stuff when it's properly under the Who banner (the novel adaptations including her and the New Adventures of... sets) so her supporting cast being out of character isn't really a problem for me personally, but if the thing as a whole is kind of naff then yeah, I suppose I'd be better off giving it a miss. Shame, Twelve and Benny sounded like it would be a fun match, and the story being set in Sydney was an extra little bit of novelty as an Australian.

Twelve and Benny are quite fun together, but yeah it's not great a story. It just sorta...ends. And I was "Oh. Is that it? Oh". Lisa Bowerman's on top form as usual though.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
:smith:
Aw man, John Hurt was one of those actors that seemed immortal, and great in everything they did.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't actually seen Fantastic Beasts. It seemed like a "wait for the DVD" movie to me. Was it any good?

It's very watchable, but personally I just found it okay. Not good, not bad, just, sorta there.
Eddie Redmayne mumbles his way through the dialogue, and the two running storylines are clumsily tied together at the end, but it's got some nice ideas and visuals, and echoing thrawn527, the expansion of the Harry Potter setting is pretty neat.

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks! I'll get to it. And the Big Finish stuff?

Agreeing with Jerusalem and others for their recommandation of of the Eighth and Fourth Doctor series, if you're specifically after serialised story arc type things. Or even the War Doctor boxsets. That said the main range does has shorter arcs, of which there's quite a few. For individual starter stories for each Doctor, I'd recommend;

Fourth - The Renaissance Man
Fifth - Spare Parts
Sixth - The Marion Conspiracy
Seventh - Colditz
Eight - Seasons of Fear

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 7, 2017

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

cargohills posted:

I don't think Seasons of Fear or Colditz are good starts because there's a few excellent stories just before (Invaders from Mars and Chimes of Midnight for 8, The Fearmonger for 7).

I haven't listened to The Fearmonger, yet - so can't comment.
I didn't personally like Invaders From Mars, great idea, I just didn't like the execution, and while Chimes of Midnight is great, I think it benefits more from the build up and getting to know Charley. Subjective tastes, of course.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Paused posted:

How long would it take to get through all the Dr Who stuff out there at this point, if you were starting from scratch? I mean I imagine the answer is variable on a bunch of factors, but curious what you nerds think. As you'll know all variants down to the second.

Just purely the TV Dr Who (not counting any spin-off shows, but any and all episode prequels or webisodes), classic Who is about 13 solid days (300 hours or so - including the 96 movie and the missing episodes), from the revival until Dr Mysterio is 5 days (110 hours approx).

So yeah, 18 days start-to-finish, with episodes running all day and seamlessly into the next. :shepface:
With spin offs, it's probably closer to a full month, counting Sarah Jane, K-9, Torchwood & the twenty billion straight-to-VHS "we can use these monsters right?" stand-alone films.

As for audios, just the BF main range is currently something like 19 solid days (at approx 446 hours). That's not counting any of the Eighth, Fourth or War Doctor boxset stories, companion chronicles, lost stories, and not even remotely touching on any of the spinoffs like Gallifrey, Graceless, Benny Summerfield, Jago & Litefoot, UNIT, Torchwood, Sarah Jane, etc, etc.

God only knows how long with the books, novelisations , comics and games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cleretic posted:

Holy poo poo, the Cyberman voices in Spare Parts... :stare:
I love the filter they use for the cybercontroller voices:

"The city uses too many vital resources. It will be. Shut. Down."
"That's insane!"
"Sacrificezz. Muzt. Be. Made."
"Why!? What's happened!? What could possibly be more important than saving people?"
"We. Muzzt. SURVIVE."

• Locked thread