Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cargohills posted:

I can't imagine Netflix being a very good platform for a family show either. Their current crop of original content is all comedy/drama for an adult audience.

DoctorWhat posted:

IMO it's extremely important that Doctor Who remains a product of a publicly-funded broadcaster, even if that means we don't get as much of it.

But Netflix carried Doctor Who previously and that didn't undermine its status as a public production. Why couldn't licensing revenue go into the production budget?

Anyway, speaking as a Canadian viewer, I'd love if they came to a licensing agreement to have new episodes crackerjack fast on the 'Flix.

e. just to clarify, I don't mean to remove it from the BBC, but rather to put new episodes up fast in non-BBC markets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

cargohills posted:

None of it's really for a family audience, though.

What do you mean by "family audience" then?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Rhyno posted:

I can't even fathom who I'd be okay with. With our luck they'll cast Rupert Grint.

Conor McGregor is in talks.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've just started rolling Rob Brydon around in my head as a possibility. I'm not sure though, as I haven't seen much of him outside of The Trip and A Cock And Bull Story, but there's something about how he can be self-absorbed and blase, which could be fun for The Doctor.

--Doctor! Doctor! The Daleks are exploding the supermassive black hole in the centre of the galaxy!

--(in Michael Caine voice)You're only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jerusalem posted:

The buildup through season 8 to the climax of Mummy on the Orient Express was handled just fantastically. Clara blowing up at this unfeeling rear end in a top hat who replaced HER Doctor only for THE DOCTOR to make his triumphant return was just fantastic :hellyeah:

I like that episode :3:

Anyone have any contacts at Buckingham Palace? I think we need a royal decree that no actor/actress under 40 ever be cast as the Doctor, and that under 50 only be permitted in an emergency. :colbert:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm not going to link it, but did anyone else see that GQ article about who should take over for Capaldi and "save the series", written by someone who apparently has neither watched nor ever enjoyed Doctor Who in any form? The one which posted stuff like "lolololo" at the suggestion that anyone other than a handsome young white guy could play the role?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Look, we need a well-trained older British actor with experience in fantasy and sci-fi.

Clearly the next Doctor should be Patrick Stewart.

Apparently that was his lifelong dream at one point. He'd probably do it for free.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I haven't watched Doctor Who since series 6, and while I enjoyed it, I got sick of the universe ending and the Doctor's companions being secret awesome bad asses that can control the universe or live for thousands of years. Has the Peter Capaldi series been better and more, I don't know, controlled? How would you say they compare to Matt Smith? Not just quality, but in style and scope and the like.

There has been a bit of the secret awesome badasses stuff, but that's actually set to change this series.

I like Capaldi, but his scripts have been wildly uneven. The last series had both one of the all-time best Who stories, and one of the all-time worst.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Did Eccleston just hate doing the show or something? Thinking about it, I've known for some time that he decided to end his own run, but I've never actually been clear on why, and why he's so distant from the show now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Toby Jones for doctor

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm 35, Canadian, and the original series wasn't on in any reasonably accessible way for me when I was a kid. It was on, but I didn't know anyone who watched it, and so I was always confused by what was happening and why it was black and white sometimes, and why it was in colour others, and why the same people never seemed to be on. I didn't get into the new series at first because it was recommended to me by someone with exquisitely bad taste, though I saw the end of Waters of Mars at a friend's house and thought it was decent. I didn't get into the series in any focused way until I was invited to a 50th anniversary ep party, which I accepted because of the woman who invited me, not because of the show.

So really, John Hurt was my first Doctor. I didn't realize this until now.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Was that The Sea Devils? Did he have some paper thin pseudonym in that story?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Well Manicured Man posted:

On the contrary, it won't occur to Trump that the Master will doublecross him until his golden elevator starts shrinking.

/\/\/\

When hasn't the Master had a paper-thin pseudonym, besides "Harold Saxon"?

That's the point. I want to know which paper-thin pseudonym accompanies that image.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The Five Doctors is worth watching for 3's outfit alone. Everything else is gravy on top of that greatcoat.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

I'm trying, man!

What I'm going for in general: Doctor Who's got a way with weird concepts, that aren't outright scary but are creepy and unnerving. It's usually really simple and relatable things, which lets that inherent creepiness settle in and puts you in a space to grasp it. It's a hard thing to put my finger on, but I know it's there and I want to really play with it. It's the sort of thing that makes Blink and Flatline work so well, it's tapping into totally normal yet slightly irrational thoughts, things we notice or recognize and... not even terrifying them specifically, but just giving them something to struggle with and worry about. Who is definitely far from the only piece of media that does this, but it's got a particular willingness to and style of going about it that I'm trying to grab onto.

Specifically for this: I'm looking for when that crosses over into physical space and material objects, rather than living things or intangible concepts. The actual context I'm working with is that a reality-shaping engine is currently in the hands of someone who's not using it very well, so I'm trying to find some interesting and unusual ways to depict that that might elicit similar feelings of off-putting strangeness and unorthodox menace. Flatline had that in spades, but I'm struggling with other examples.

I think The God Complex was in the back of my mind, and it's definitely one of those episodes I'm talking about (my own dislike of the minotaur aside), but I don't really remember any times when it specifically made use of the weird space of the setting it came up with.

You're dealing with the Uncanny, friend. In this case it's specifically the revelation that the mundane and everyday has more than we can see.

I think that almost anything involving 11's crack in space and time, and the concept of people being erased from time falls into this category - how do we know what we've forgotten?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'm into series 26 on my front-to-back viewing.

Battlefield is fun and good and bad. I gather that the prose and audios have filled out the story some, but to have Capaldi play the other half of that plot would be outright jolly.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cerv posted:

on a scale of 9 to 10 how much do you love Attack of the Cybermen?

9 to 10? 9.7, but that's probably getting some bonus in contrast to The Twin Dilemma.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Just finished Survival and I've started the movie. I'm about 70 minutes away from having watched every extant doctor who story from the main canon. It has taken me about two years to slowly work my way through them

After this comes the 1960s movies, and then the audio reconstructions, and then follows the sweet release of death.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've listened to a few, but they fit so poorly into my lifestyle. I sometimes listen to them on road trips, but I have no intention of working my way through all of them.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

~~impulsively spends $20 ordering pre-1990 Doctor Who novels from AbeBooks~~

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is impossible because with the old series it's incredibly clear they were supposed to be watched weekly, and if you try to watch a bunch of them right after each other you'll just get burned out. If you don't you're not human.

I was able to blitz stories from the first three doctors pretty ravenously when I was in the mood.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FreezingInferno posted:

I rewatched Creature From The Pit and I quite like it. Very surprised that it's the apparent 31st worst Doctor Who story ever.

Sure, it's a bit silly and the bandit characters don't work and the monster design is rude, but it's quite fun I thought. Second-best story of Season 17 (though it would likely be third if Shada actually got, y'know, made.)

Where did you get that specific or a ranking? I googled and only found a Gizmodo list which I'm not finding very satisfying.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CobiWann posted:

Oh my, it's only TWO weeks from new Doctor Who?

How have we waited this long without going mad?

How have we :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Judging from BBC America, the first episode of series 10 will be extra-long.

:woop:

• Locked thread