Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Rhyno posted:

She's not wrong. The Doctor does good things on an often epic scale but at what cost?

(This is everything I was trying to say in two sentences, but I wrote all these words dammit so here.)

It's somewhat reductionist to just call him "a bad guy," but even limiting yourself to the TV show, he's...complicated. I mean, sure, a lot of that's from all the different writers. But even so, I think the show demonstrates that you can't be the kind of adventurous interventionist he is without coming up against some serious ethical problems.

I only pop into this thread occasionally, but often when I do I end up talking about how the great strength of DW is that it's an anthology show about stuff besides the Doctor and the companions. It succeeds most when they're just catalysts/conduits for the real action of the show, driven by the one-off characters in the serial/episode. It succeeds least when the travelers in the TARDIS become the center of the action, and we're encouraged to look at their situation more carefully and critically.

Consider: The Doctor's choice to run around intervening is, at best, amoral and, at worst, essentially the "white savior" stereotype taken to its extreme. His interventions are made with little consideration, and he often leaves messes for others to clean up. That he takes on companions and introduce them to all these dangerous situations when there's no way they can offer informed consent is, at heart, ethically indefensible. (Romana is, perhaps, a notable exception, and even she was tricked into helping him. On the other side, Nine inviting Rose to travel with him seems almost predatory, given how little she knows about what she's getting into and how, in many ways, he devastates the lives of her and her family/friends.)

Of course, it's a fantasy show and the Doctor and his companions are more like supernatural archetypes than real people, so many of these criticisms don't land as hard as they might. (Though the show seems to nod its head approvingly at the "white savior" thing more often than I'd like....) But that's why the show works best when the main characters are anyone but the recurring cast.

In this regard, I've consistently preferred the old series and the audios to the new series. Meditation on the main cast seems inevitable in modern TV, and that's the show's glass jaw.

pgroce fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Nov 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Blasphemeral posted:

Just so you guys know, stuff like this is really why I read this thread. Thanks for that.

(Oh, and also the audio recommendations. So, thanks for that Cobi, Jeru, et. al.)

If you like when people think entirely too hard about Doctor Who, here are some good books to look into:

Doctor Who: The Unfolding Text by John Tulloch and Manuel Alvarado. This is a book-length dissertation on Doctor Who, using a narrative overview of the history of the show to go on various critical tangents. Out of print, but not impossible to get hold of. Published in 1984, so obviously it's missed out on a lot of history, even of the old series.

Time and relative dissertations in space: Critical perspectives on Doctor Who by David Butler (ed.). An anthology of mostly academic, critical articles on the show. It doesn't go into the new show in very much depth, but does recognize that it exists.

I can definitely see how both these books would be boring or irritating to some fans, but I eat this stuff up. :)

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

The Doctor's, at his very worst (The Christmas Invasion), as cruel as the world in which he inhabits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGDccs6LpKQ&t=263s

(Appealing to Stone Cold Billy Hartnell is, I admit, a cheap shot.)

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

He missed the opportunity to hit the camera with his hand when he said "mandibles."

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

CobiWann posted:

My jackass of a cat decided it would be a great idea to revenge pee all over my bookcase's bottom shelf of New Series Adventure novels. 21 books down the drain, mostly Ten/Martha stories.

Welp, time for your cat to watch Terror of the Vervoids.

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

all-Rush mixtape posted:

e: putting two and two together makes me believe the second episode will be a 21st century take on a certain 7th Doctor story.

I can't wait to see them squeeze Ghost Light into 40 minutes.

• Locked thread