Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Anyone planning on doing the Monday theater screening? I know I could catch it on BBCA for free, but I'm tempted to go in my small/rural Missouri town just to see if there's anyone else in the building. The only person I know who would go with me says he will, and would for sure show up but I kind of think he's hate it. He's a Nu-Who guy and only a few classic eps I've shown him haven't bored him due to pacing. Then you add "iffy" animation to the mix and I get this feeling he'd hate it. I mean, I'd offer to pay for that reason but am seriously contemplating going myself. Stupid tendency to mind-read!

I didn't do the 50th in theaters, regret that, but I had a group who watched air live with me so it made up for it. Don't want to regret this, especially since it's motherfuckin' Troughton.

If you're going, anyone going with people they know aren't really into the classic serious?

Btw, hello again thread! Glad to be back after a self-imposed internet/social media hiatus, had a lovely period of my life and was a real selfish prick at times (hello Santee from last year, I know my last minute humble bumble deal was a lovely move and I still feel guilty). Plan to be active in this thread again, social media still gets a pass because I didn't miss it a bit. Also my Santee is gonna get to benefit from a year's guilt, so that's a plus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

BSam posted:

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Which reminds me, I remember once listening to the first episode of Graceless and coming away from it having no loving clue what it was supposed to be about or why I was supposed to care. Which echoes the OP's opinion (however, I will defend Dorian Gray because that series is good. Corny, campy as hell and needlessly moody at times but Alexander Vlahos kills it). It even made me read Picture of Dorian Gray - which is a boring book for 75% of it, but now I can at least say I read it? I guess?

Btw

Decided not to abuse anyone else's (my NuWho friend, my sister, even my loving MOM offered) willingness to sit through 3 hours of boredom (for them), going to a movie alone for the first time in probably years. loving PUMPED.

McGann
May 19, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I'm kind of bummed I saw the animated version tonight because now I'd give anything to see the actual broadcast version!

(It was wonderful, absolutely wonderful)

That was so worth it! You know how sometimes binging a 6 episode serial in one sitting starts to feel like a drag and more like it was 8 hours long? Power just flies by. Oh my giddy aunt would I give a ridiculous amount of money that I don't have to see this in its full, live action, glory!

My only regret is that there's only one showing, because in the heat of the moment walking out of the theater I would have absolutely bought a second viewing. Will for sure be watching again on the BBCA broadcast. I do wish there was a bit more to the 'making of' bit at the end, but wow - something the hype didn't ruin for me in the least.

It also warmed my heart to have two guys with their ~7-10 year olds with them, one of whom was behind me and talking through the whole thing. But it was cute talk, like "oh my gosh doesn't he know the Dalek is bad???" with legitimate concern in their voice. Good dads.

edit: I was slightly disappointed they cut out all the cliffhangers, but I guess that might be jarring for non-fans...wait, only hardcore fans went to the drat thing anyway so....Man, it's hard to find things to complain about here, I'm still wired from it.

McGann fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 15, 2016

McGann
May 19, 2003

I rather enjoyed that preview/teaser/trailer/whatever.

Got in on DWSS at the last minute, and as I don't have tons of financial/general drama going on this year I fully intend to rock it to make up for my poor showing last year. Planning in advance financially, believe it or not, is helpful!

Can't wait to get my assignment and start creepily stalking my victim. I generally hate the holidays, but love Doctor Who and this thread is one of my favorites on SA (if not my fav).

Splendid posters, all of you.

McGann
May 19, 2003

I woke up Wednesday after the election to texts from both my parents asking if I wanted to come to Canada with them.

I expect that from 20-somethings and whatnot, but these are 60 year old retirees (and millionaire ex-business owners). I don't think they're actually joking.

But hey, with Brexit I'm guessing a vacation to the UK will be cheap pretty soon, assuming our dollar value over here (USA) doesn't crash as I expect it might in the UK. I should do some research, with the Doctor Who Experience closing soon I could even make it over in time to visit before it shuts down. Worth the trip? Not just for that, obviously...

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cerv posted:

a day out in an old quarry seems an appropriate rendezvous

And we'd be able to knock out several filming locations in one go. Sounds like a win to me.

But seriously, there are enough UK goons here a threadmeet wouldn't be too bad of an idea. Are you guys all located randomly about or is there a general area where most of the active posters are regional to?

Not that it would matter for me, as I'll be doing the touristy trip around (likely England, Wales (I know, I know), Scotland, Ireland) but a night where a few of us could meet up and cause trouble (ok, nerd version of trouble - AKA an episode marathon - though I can imagine choosing which ones might get a bit heated) would be fun.

edit: also with the amount of $$ this thread drops on Big Finish, I bet we could talk them into letting us have a tour. I mean, I imagine they're pretty niche with the fanbase, but we HAVE to at least make a dent in their bottom line, right?

McGann
May 19, 2003

MrL_JaKiri posted:

The only Tom Baker book I've read is his autobiography

On the topic of non-Who (well, ish) Baker things, I recently picked up Bafflegab's Baker's End (because I adore the Scarifyers, plus, the premise is so meta it hurts). I've only been able to listen to part of the first episode but it's...uhhh...interesting. Premise is that Tom Baker plays Tom Baker, who is dead, and his funeral is in a town called HAPPENSTANCE. The main character is Katy Manning Suzy Goshawk, fellow actress who worked with Tom.

It's a very odd story so far, having only gotten partly through the first episode I was curious if anyone else was in this ride with me? I think I'll have a go at finishing Ep 1 today (there's been too much Big Finish I wanted to listen to/relisten to lately, getting to the point where I'm in TV Who Withdrawals, even with Power going on). That reminds me, wtf Bafflegab, give me more Scarifyers and NOT in comic form, I want more angry David Warner (RIP Courtney) and bookish Terry Molloy in my ears.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Fuckin Trump Riot posted:

So, a few questions.

1) Has Power of the Daleks been released yet?
2) Has it been in theatres in the states yet?
3) If not, why not?

1. Yes
2. It was shown in Theaters in the US on Monday the 14th
3. More importantly, why isn't it available for me in the US to buy on DVD yet? I understand BBCA running it an episode weekly basis, and I found Amazon is selling it on an episodic basis (I'm guessing released every week as it shows on BBCA) but no release date/info on a DVD yet for Region 1? I found it available as Region 2 on Amazon UK, but damnit I'm a Yankee

edit: Nevermind, found it's going to be a Barnes and Noble exclusive for Region 1 but not until January 24. Wtf, BBC America? You're missing out on an awesome stocking stuffer. At least they're releasing the BW/Color version together (though I see no reference to the colorization version on the B&N site)

edit:

Barnes and Noble posted:

AUDIO COMMENTARIES ON ALL SIX EPISODES: Members of the original cast and crew are joined by members of the new animation unit to discuss the production of the story and its new animated reconstruction. Moderated by Toby Hadoke.

If Frazier Hines is in, I'm excited. I don't mind Toby Hadoke's Big Finish interviews series, either, so should be decent

McGann fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 21, 2016

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Frazier Hines wasn't in Power of the Daleks (he debuted in the very next story) sadly, though he was in Evil of the Daleks so they should definitely do an animated release of that!
Ah, yeah, I dunno why my brain wasn't working on that one. Hell, nothing would make me happier than an animated Evil or The Highlanders.

Edit: to be fair, they should have Frazier do commentary for every episode, Classic and New. I'd listen to it all.

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

It's not been released over here yet. :britain:

Everyone should just get everyone Power of the Daleks for Secret Santa (I'm sending out names tonight).

Amazon UK, get your poo poo together https://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Power-Daleks-DVD/dp/B01LOC83Y2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479734555&sr=8-1&keywords=power+of+the+daleks

Everything on that page acts like it is released, which makes no sense because I know you're right. Plus, looks like the blu-ray one is the version that comes with the colorization version. Lame!

edit: and I agree with that sentiment, if only us US-Santees weren't stuck waiting until almost Feb to get a copy we can play.

vvv agree with that sentiment as well

McGann fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 21, 2016

McGann
May 19, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Blurays are region free, I think...?

I'm a luddite with no blu-ray player (gave it away, found I was never using it)

McGann
May 19, 2003

Cerv posted:

It is released. Amazon UK sent me a copy that arrived Saturday.

Well, I guess I've got the weekly episode to keep me company because to be honest I've already forgotten most of the experience of seeing it in the theater, story wise Drugs are bad, kids . That and a local library that stays stocked with classic Who (currently have End Of the World checked out, 2x the Troughton!).

Also, re-listening to the Locum Doctors trilogy and it's better than I thought it was on the first listen through, though I've still got to finish re-listening to the 5th doctor end, got distracted on a Master trilogy relisten as it was already loaded on my phone.

What's sad is when you're pretty much caught up on Big Finish new releases, that's how you know you need a new hobby.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Speaking of, does anyone have the Amazon US listing for Power handy? Search just brings up the old VHS and a couple books.

All I could find is the Amazon Video week by week release- evidently it's B&N exclusive

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dvd-doctor-who-the-power-of-the-daleks/30504046

edit: Yet they have the week by week release available on Amazon Video. Marketing deals are weird.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Bicyclops posted:

Seems about right.

Stop reminding me.

In brighter news, I'm having the most fun doing DWSS this year out of all the people I'm shopping for, mostly because I got someone with very similar interests. So I get to shop for myself without feeling like I'm selfishly spending money.

What did you guys think of UNIT: Silenced? I thought it was a pretty solid use of the villains, though it kinda made The Doctor look like a real prick for not bothering to leave a "Oh btw there were these guys that make you forget they exist..." post it note somewhere at UNIT HQ.

McGann
May 19, 2003

LordZoric posted:

Must of slipped his mind.

:golfclap: Welp, I'll just see my way out...

McGann
May 19, 2003

After The War posted:

I hope my gift made it to my Santee okay. When I sent it, it said "Me? I'm allowed everywhere!" and jumped into a slot intended for (I believe) much lighter packages. :ohdear:

It did! You made some awesome choices by the way, and oddly enough I didn't even watch Doctor Who when I made my username, it was just a happy accident.

My Santee is supposed to get their package by Thursday, but we'll see if UPS holds up their end.

Edit:

Bicyclops posted:

I really like The Natural History of Fear too (and Scherzo, of course). Kromon is definitely one of the top 10 worst Big Finish stories, though, and it's good some stiff competition.

Natural History of Fear is one of my FAVORITE stories BF has produced, and I always recommend it in my "intro to BF" starter kit as a good recommendation of the different ways stories can be taken in the audio format.

McGann fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 20, 2016

McGann
May 19, 2003

I actually fell asleep during that special, though mainly due to it being 10 and having been at Xmas stuff all day. I'll be watching it proper tonight, but I did re-watch Power (IN GLORIOUS COLOR) and that was awesome to see again.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I wouldn't even call it a Christmas special. There's nothing Christmas-related to the plot beyond maybe the first five minutes of the special.

Having now watched it fully, this is true. There's a little bit at the start and that's it, glossed over. I thought it was watchable, I enjoyed The Ghost but it wasn't anything awesome or anything.
Enjoyable watch but that's about it

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

The way it used to work is Terrance Dicks would ring up Robert Holmes in a panic saying,"Where's my script? Where's the script? Gimme the script? :derp:" and Holmes would drolly reply,"In a moment, dear boy :smug:", hang up, say boo to a passing child and then smoke a pipe for an hour or two before rolling his chair over to the typewriter and cheerfully bang out something brilliant in half an hour.

Then Robert Holmes became the Script Editor and drolly smoked a pipe while reading other people's scripts and tutting gently while making corrections, occasionally saying boo to a passing child :allears:

Ms Boods will agree that this is an 100% accurate assessment of the situation.

I'm no Ms Boods but this sounds accurate

quote:

Terrance Dicks intended to have Holmes replace him as script editor after he left. Holmes accepted the offer while the season was still in production, editing (uncredited) Death to the Daleks.
Eww...uncredited, indeed.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yeah, I've heard most of the past year's releases. I didn't really bowl me over, tbh, though I liked the main robot character a lot. I might try it again, though, given that several people have mentioned it, and that trilogy in general, to be better than the rest of the year's material. (God, Absolute Power was just completely atrocious).

Oh, I thought it was just the Terrible Big Finish American Accent (patent pending) that was throwing me. I just started that one the other night.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

This month's Listener's title from Big Finish is Robophobia. A sequel to a 4th doctor story, starring the 7th Doctor, and introducing a companion of the 8th Doctor.

It's good. For $2.99, pick it up.

One of my favorite BF stories, seconding this recommendation

McGann
May 19, 2003

He'd stab Trump in the back within the first month.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Mr Dominus is always a favorite of mine, though Mr Seta comes close.
Edit: forgot Don Maestro

Editx2: And thanks to Wiki, I now know Mister Saxon is an anagram for "master No Six" which I doubt was planned at all but cool regardless.

McGann fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Feb 21, 2017

McGann
May 19, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Of course it was planned, why do you think it wasn't?

I was just going off a feeling off "trying too hard to make a connection" and had no actual evidence pointing either direction, but I guess it was actually fans trying too hard after all.

Liking Diary of River Song 2 so far, halfway through as of this morning's commute. I like the pairing of 7/River so far and eagerly anticipate 6's verbal sparring

McGann
May 19, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I finished the last War Doctor volume. They finally realized their potential, they finally nailed the War Doctor's characterization, the final story and it's bittersweet ending is just perfect.... and it's the last we'll ever get :smith:

"Perhaps I'm the worst of them all" - goddamn am I gonna miss John Hurt (even more)

Yeah, that was a pretty good send-off. Literally just finished it during lunch at work, and while I agree fully with the general consensus that for most of the stories you could slot in any Doctor you want, but they got it right in that last story.

John Hurt, you were a goddamn genius.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Oh goodness. The newest Torchwood audio that just came out the other day, Visiting Hours, was proper hilarious. And also creepy. And the behind the scenes interview was one of the best 9 minutes of audio content I've ever heard from Big Finish.

I binged Torchwood the series (with the assistance of a lot of alcohol and skipping through a lot of the first two seasons...) and it was mediocre at the best of times, but I'll be damned if they're not hitting it out of the park with the Audios (for the most part). Working on Before the Fall right now and it's proper lush. Still think Ghost Mission is the best so far, though.

Have you been listening to the whole series? Be curious to hear someone else's top picks, as I'm likely going to do a relisten of a few once I'm caught up on main range + torchwood and/or my wallet cries uncle.

edit: Fall to Earth gets a nod as well for being both funny and decent storytelling.

McGann fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Mar 16, 2017

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

I actually was rather lukewarm on Before the Fall. My favorites thus far have been Ghost Mission, Fall to Earth, Forgotten Lives, Broken, and now Visiting Hours.

I didn't like Archive or Before the Fall much at all. Outbreak was decent, but not spectacular. Made You Look had a LOT of promise and a tepid ending.

I can agree with Archive, it was kinda meh. Thinking back on it, all I remember is some guy going out to the archive with his secretly evil/replaced/controlled/something newlywedded wife. That and Jack being about as smug as possible.

Haven't actually listened to Outbreak, now that I think of it. May give it a pass in favor of a Victorian Age relisten.

Oh, and the latest 4th Doctor teamup with Jago/Litefoot is pretty good.

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

In a rare move for the Short Trips line, the second part of The Jago & Litefoot Revival is out now. They even made up an alternate cover for it, but be warned, if you have not listened to Part 1, here there be spoilers:

I was so excited when I got to the end of Part 1 and realized where they were going with that. Work needs to hurry up and be done, I've got dog-walking and Big Finish to get to, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

jivjov posted:

Jago & Litefoot Revival Part 2 was just as fun as the first. Yet another fun cameo, plus they cleverly set Litefoot's half of the story when 10 was doing his reunion tour visiting all his old companions

I've got 10 minutes left to finish at my lunch, but yeah the whole thing seems like they got timey-wimey elements pretty well laid out. Makes me really want the new J&L season right now though, especially since David Warner is back and I'll buy anything with him in it.

• Locked thread