Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

EdBlackadder posted:

They were really patchy, at least in the East Midlands. I saw Green Death on Sunday lunchtimes (scared the living hell out of me, bloody maggots) and remember sitting down and watching Sea Devils and Genesis with my Dad and brother on a Friday night (it clashed with Coronation Street so Mum was watching that upstairs).

I've got really clear memories of Revelation of the Daleks being on a sunday morning after I'd got in from my paper round, I just can't find any proof. I was also East Midlands, but I think by the 90s there wasn't a huge amount of variation in regional broadcasting, especially on the beeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Ah, the BBC2 6pm Cult TV slot! Buffy, Farscape, etc!

Remember when BBC2 ran a load of 50s sci fi B movies in that sort of slot? And when Channel 4 used to run all the Irwin Allen series? I wish they'd do that sort of thing these days, I discovered a ton of stuff that way.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cerv posted:

the target audience for the show (kids today) didn't and won't

the five doctors especially is unmitigated shite. no one is watching that.

Come on now, you can't be impugning the raston warrior robot.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Synopsis: Daleks are the superior beings! Daleks are the superior beings! Daleks ar.... OH gently caress A WASP! :derp:

I listened to Magic Mousetrap and this back to back and I was going to say I got whiplash from the quality change but then I remembered that Mousetrap dips sharply in quality as it goes along so they end up on an even keel.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

If you're looking for terrifying and uncanny Dr Who audio, go no further than Minuet In Hell which is truly devilish.
Also there is Creed of the Cromon which has unsettling body horror. The sound effects really put you in the picture.

No. No to all this.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Why is it that I like Guerrier's Who stories but that Graceless leaves me completely cold?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

It really felt like a series finale, closing a story arc, Romana was great, and the way they "got rid" of dissidents with the Oubliette of Eternity...

What? No they didn't, it was a tool of last resort and thankfully never used. You're clearly misremembering.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Seriously though, the Oubliette and the fact that no one remembers it's been used is one of my favourite big finish things.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It really is pretty amazing that we got Hurt as the Doctor, even if it was for only one televised episode. Although now I kind of wonder if it was a Raul Julia playing M Bison type scenario.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

So I want to ask, in what situations do you guys listen to Big Finish stuff? I'm struggling to find a place to fit it into my normal routine, because while I put podcasts on when I'm doing work or playing a game that doesn't need 100% of my attention, the podcast tends to fall back in importance and I sort of drift out of things occasionally. I don't feel like that's a good suiting for Big Finish, since it should be getting most of my attention but I don't feel like I can only do that.

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

If you don't want to sit and listen to it and you don't have a commute, I recommend going for a walk. I get much of my podcast/audiobook/big finish listening done when walking the dog.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the real problem with the War Doctor is that if he goes far enough that the other incarnations would disown him, it wouldn't feel like listening to a Who story. I've rationalised it in my head that it was the use of The Moment that was the only time he really crossed that line, but then yeah, all the rest of his stories are going to be ones that any incarnation could slot into.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

Yeah, it would be pretty hard being angry and calling yourself "Not The Doctor I Have No Name" for an entire incarnation, especially since due to the physical aging we're led to believe he existed in this one for centuries, longer than any other (besides 11).

Isn't there some suggestion that 3 spent, like, years and years dying in the TARDIS between getting irradiated and showing up back at UNIT and regenerating?

Fake Edit: Just checked, it was only ten years, and it's only mentioned in Love and War.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Oh my, it's only TWO weeks from new Doctor Who?

How have we waited this long without going mad?

Yes.

Not. Going. Mad.

Yesss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Yeah, that's really weird. Maybe the estate of Terry Nation wouldn't let them have like four of the Dalek serials or something, because I can't think of anyone else that could realistically block them.

• Locked thread