Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
This was true even in the original run; 26 years is a long time to be on the air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

Are you saying you don't wish we'd had a series of the Doctor and his evil secret brother the Master adventuring through space and time trying to find their mysterious long-lost father Ulysses?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ4c1X5ene8

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

That Ulysses' opening brought me back to my childhood watching stuff like Galaxy Rangers and Sabre Rider and the Star Sheriffs (in the sky!) :allears:

No MCOG? For shame

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

And that was his first professionally-published, wasn't it? I think he'd had something publisher as the winning entry to a BBC writing contest, but aside from that, his NA books were the first "proper" things he'd done.

And much like 50 Shades they were reworked fanfiction

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Girls are stupid because they can't do maths! And they can't do maths because they're stupid!

- Adric, Four to Doomsday

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Woah now let's not say things we can't take back

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

You can't just put animation on an audio story and expect it to be any good, they're different media with different writing (and performance) requirements.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

These next few years' worth of Doctor Who may prove a bit of a slog....

The last series has two of the best stories of the whole run

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

You're in the worst season now, Trial is a bit better and once you're past Time and the Rani, Sly's run is pretty good. It's all fine, honest.

Time and the Rani is not all fine

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He will always be the failed actor from People like Us

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

I'm not a huge fan of Dudley Simpson but this is a hugely catchy little tune, made it seem like Summer again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0vyx6HGSD0

Hello campers!

Also this was Delia Derbyshire not Dudley. He did the music for the episode, but this piece was from stock.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sad King Billy posted:

Hmm it was credited to him on GBS.FM, so that is why I made the assumption.

Would GBS.FM lie???

Nah, just an easy mistake to make:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/45HwF33Dl7Y1BWW7TkK7gSb/the-fourth-dimension

quote:

Most of the music for The Macra Terror was composed by Dudley Simpson and realised by Brian Hodgson. Delia Derbyshire, who had created the distinctive sound of the Doctor Who theme music, was responsible for the realisation of the ‘Chromophone’ band that that colonists perform to. The music used to represent the hypnotising of the humans was by John Baker and had previously been used for an episode of Out of the Unknown called Time in Advance.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I have already purchased a present for next year's Secret Santa :getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

vegetables posted:

Big Finish is giving away Flip-Flop for free! It's probably the most "2016" Doctor Who story there is, by which I mean "the moral is that immigrants are bad and will chase you out of your community."

How soon we forget The Zygon Parabox or whatever it was called

Ms Boods posted:

Not part of the Secret Santa, but I am working on a Doctor Who publication with a colleague up in London. He sent me a little Crimble pres of appreciation -- copy of Marcus Aurelius's Meditiationes and the dvd of The War Machines. Dude has seriously got my number :allears:

:getin:

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The TV movie was made in America you fuckers

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

CommonShore posted:

Sylvester McCoy seems alright so far through one story.

The only way is up from Time and the Rani

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The correct way to post that is "Happy christmas to all of you at home"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Shiftypenguin posted:

Worse than Timelash?

Timelash is fun camp at least

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Maxwell Lord posted:

That said I think The Dominators is worse. They cut an entire episode from that one and it's still too long.

You know what the Doctor can't stand? Pacifism

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

And it has Paul Darrow in it :colbert:

The two are related

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

I find it sort of amazing that Doctor Who hasn't really done superheroes before. Between the show, the books, the audios, the comics, the little cartoons on the back of candy wrappers, and the mysterious runes tattooed on Ian Levine's chest, they've done pretty much every other genre known to man. And it's not like human beings with special powers and silly clothes are foreign to Doctor Who.

The Karkus looks down on this post

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Also the Doctor is a superhero, every episode is a superhero story

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Get rekt son

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There are very few stories in the original run that you couldn't replace the Doctor with some degree of a Sherlock Holmes/Alan Quartermain mashup and still have it function perfectly well

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mind Loving Owl posted:

but McCoy was when they started doing the Doctor-as-Super-Batman thing well.

I only think that really comes over in, what, four or five stories total? (Remembrance, Silver Nemesis, some or all of the Ace trilogy)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I'd say it's more the New Adventures that really start that kick, because very few books are written without internal monologues and the NA had them for just about every character except the Doctor because it would spoil the story to know what he was thinking. That rather artificially - and accidentally - promotes the Doctor a stage further still than in the McCoy years proper

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

In a strange intersection of the personal and Doctor Who, an ex is now dating the director of Let's Kill Hitler

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Not because of that, let it be clear.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I didn't watch it (I had more important posts in this thread to make :v: ) but "meh" is the average response (median, mean and mode)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Fil5000 posted:

The BBC has survived Conservative and labour governments without a significant shifting of tone

This is not the case.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly... though we're still burning through Doctors at a sadly speedy rate :(

But not ahistorical

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I see Jerusalem is modding up the place. I don't like it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was in HMV earlier today and they had a bunch of these "From the world of BBC TV's Doctor Who" DVDs like "The Mindgame Saga" (starring Sophie Aldred) and "Downtime" (starring Nicholas Courtney and Elisabeth Sladen). Are these old wilderness years fan-productions? How are they getting official-ish-looking home releases?

They weren't fan productions in the sense of (most of) the New Adventures, the former was written by Terrence Dicks and the latter by Marc Platt

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It is true

jivjov posted:

Well that's dammed depressing.

Would you say it hurt?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

SiKboy posted:

Dude, at least watch Alien. I mean, he also had bigger parts in, frankly, better movies

You what mate

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He was superb in the 1984 version of 1984

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Yeah it's a consequence of christmas specials being part of the regular filming block I guess

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Mortanis posted:

That's like three actors in a row that have said something to the effect to breaking Tom's record and then suddenly moving on to bigger and better things.

That's because you don't go into early publicity going "yeah I'll be out the door in 18 months". Tennant, in addition, was working under a completely different production team (that he really enjoyed being a part of, by all reports). You're reading a lot into random PR fluff, I think.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The Name of the Doctor is rubbish in essentially the same ways that the latest Sherlock was rubbish

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

Oh god, I just realized how perfect this notion is.

I imagine a Matt Berry Master having no subtlety or leadup whatsoever, it's a normal day in London until he busts through the door (any door) and is IMMEDIATELY enacting some nefarious scheme.

This is pretty much the Ainley master

• Locked thread