Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Astroman posted:

True, but I'm pretty sure the "Your were my Doctor" speech was written specifically for Tennant and 5 literally was his Doctor. Moffat is older, and is more likely to be a T Baker man. Maybe even Pertwee.

He's a Peter Davison man. In the nineties he even said that everything else was poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Attitude Indicator posted:

Moffat's wording in that interview is harsh and really disrespectful towards people who apparently did a good and inspiring enough job that he can make a living based on their effort over 50 years later. But he's not wrong.

Apart from being totally wrong. You can't look at things like Power, or Spearhead from Space, or The Robots of Death and say "Man everyone involved is poo poo aren't they"

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

In the same way we see a bad episode of modern Who, but our own good boy echoplex did sterling work on it. To tar everyone with the same brush is incredibly disingenuous.

You have to be incredibly myopic.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

As far as that Moffat interview goes, were the episodes he was slagging off available widely on home video at the time?

Yes

(Well, clearly not all of them - but in 1995 you could have copies of, among others, Talons, Genesis, Tomb, The Azteks, The Robots of Death, The Dalek Invasion of Earth, The War Games, The Time Warrior, The Ark in Space, Spearhead from Space, Pyramids of Mars, Brain of Morbius, etc etc etc)

MrL_JaKiri fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Feb 20, 2017

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's from episode 2 of The Sea Devils when he breaks into naval supplies. He does not use a pseudonym.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I don't know why they never got Neil Toynay back, he was great

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

He's only the sixth master if you put multiple actors together and remove CGI snake entirely

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Class3KillStorm posted:

So, center row, far right (beside Probably Davros)... I'm guessing it's meant to be a Weeping Angel, but does that face make anyone else think of the human forms of the Axons instead?

The Lovelies, as it's a Gatiss episode

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Burkion posted:

I mean let's be honest, most of that still applies to Modern Who.

The 50 minutes too long bit certainly does

cargohills posted:

Rassilon appears in The Five Doctors so lets make him a super important character

He's mentioned in at least The Deadly Assassin, The Invasion of Time and State of Decay first.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

It's more that the writers in the 90's (and onwards) got the obsession with Rassilon from the series, who basically used him as shorthand for "old godlike being from the dawn of time" whenever they wanted to have anything pseudo-mystical involving the Time Lords.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The End of Time

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

Rassilon being a genocidal monster factored heavily into Neverland and Zagreus, and those stories predate the revival series. Was Rassilon being a bad guy a 90s thing?

I disagree with that characterisation of him in Zagreus; I'd say he's more the "guy who thinks he knows better than everyone" thing rather than the more openly being a jerk of the revival.

It's not a 90's book thing, certainly in The Eight Doctors he's simply actively helpful.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Ms Boods posted:

[wooden} Don't diss the mind probe. [/wooden]

Impulse laser?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Episode 1 of the war games

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I literally haven't had the opportunity to watch any Classic Who. I want to, but I can't track down its airing well enough.

It's all on dailymotion

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

all-Rush mixtape posted:

I wish it was still streaming somewhere. Now it's just :filez: until a supposed Britflix launches.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Astroman posted:

I have no idea if Hurt knew he might have been dying

He was in his 70s and had pancreatic cancer so odds are good

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

There's a spoiler thread for spoilers lads

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Davros1 posted:

BBC officially tweeted it.

So? It's about politeness not rules lawyering

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Are you literally an imbecile

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

There's been a shiny new trailer leaked, over in the Spoiler thread.

Yeah but you can't actually watch it because it's been viewed by too many people

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

When did it come out?

Because if it was 2007-2010, that was back when the BNP were sort of a thing.

(See also: "Turn Left".)

You may be surprised to learn that open popularist racism against muslims is not a new phenomenon!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Wheat Loaf posted:

I didn't think I was suggesting otherwise.

There was a massive wave of the stuff around September 11th, the Iraq War and the 2005 bombings. I really wouldn't pick out any period of the 2000's as being particularly and distinctly worse than the others.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Carbon dioxide posted:

This is impossible because with the old series it's incredibly clear they were supposed to be watched weekly, and if you try to watch a bunch of them right after each other you'll just get burned out. If you don't you're not human.

Some of them work less well, some work better. No human can understand Ghost Light watched weekly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Millennius has two n's :argh:

• Locked thread