Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

An index of the write-ups I've done for all the Revival Episodes so far, as well as the (distressingly large number) of Big Finish Audios I've listened to so far.

Be warned that most of the television write-ups feature a number of spoilers for future episodes as well, as they were all written months or years after I saw them on original airing. Audio write-ups may also feature references to episodes of the show, both classic and revival.

4th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Season One

5th Doctor
Phantasmagoria | The Land of the Dead | Red Dawn | Winter for the Adept | The Mutant Phase | Loup-Garoux/The Eye of the Scorpion | Primeval | The Church and the Crown | Nekromanteia | Creatures of Beauty | Omega | The Axis of Insanity | The Roof of the World | The Game | Three's a Crowd | The Council of Nicaea | Singularity | The Kingmaker | The Gathering/The Veiled Leopard | Circular Time | Renaissance of the Daleks | Exotron | Son of the Dragon | The Mind's Eye | The Bride of Peladon | The Haunting of Thomas Brewster | The Boy That Time Forgot | Time Reef | The Judgement of Isskar | The Destroyer of Delights | The Chaos Pool

6th Doctor
Whispers of Terror | The Marian Conspiracy | The Spectre of Lanyon Moor | The Apocalypse Element | The Holy Terror | Bloodtide | Project: Twilight | The One Doctor | ...ish | The Sandman | Jubilee | Doctor Who and the Pirates | Project: Lazarus | Davros | The Wormery | Arrangements for War | Medicinal Purposes | The Juggernauts | Catch-1782 | Thicker Than Water | Pier Pressure | The Nowhere Place | The Reaping | Year of the Pig | I.D | The Wishing Beast | 100 | The Condemned | Assassin in the Limelight | The Doomwood Curse | Brotherhood of the Daleks | Return of the Krotons | The Raincloud Man

7th Doctor
The Fearmonger | The Genocide Machine | The Fires of Vulcan | The Shadow of the Scourge | Dust Breeding | Colditz | The Rapture | Bang-Bang-a-Boom! | The Dark Flame | Project: Lazarus | Flip-Flop | Master | The Harvest | Dreamtime | Unregenerate! | Live 34 | Night Thoughts | The Settling | Red | No Man's Land | Nocturne | Valhalla | Frozen Time | The Dark Husband | The Death Collectors | Kingdom of Silver | Forty-Five | The Magic Mousetrap | Enemy of the Daleks | The Angel of Scutari

8th Doctor
Televised
TV Movie: The Enemy Within | The Night of the Doctor
Audio Monthly Range
Storm Warning | Sword of Orion | The Stones of Venice | Minuet in Hell | Invaders from Mars | The Chimes of Midnight | Seasons of Fear | Embrace the Darkness | The Time of the Daleks | Neverland | Zagreus | Scherzo/The Creed of Kromon | The Natural History of Fear | The Twilight Kingdom Faithstealer/The Last/Caerdroia/The Next Life | Terror Firma | Scaredy Cat | Other Lives | Time Works | Something Inside | Memory Lane | Absolution | The Girl Who Never Was
Audio 8th Doctor Adventures
Season 1: Blood of the Daleks | The Horror of Glam Rock | Immortal Beloved | Phobos | No More Lies | Human Resources
Season 2: Dead London | Max Warp | Brave New Town | The Skull of Sobek | Grand Theft Cosmos | The Zygon Who Fell to Earth | Sisters of the Flame | The Vengeance of Morbius
Season 3: Orbis | The Hothouse | The Beast of Orlok | Wirrn Dawn | The Scapegoat | The Cannibalists | The Eight Truths | Worldwide Web
Season 4: Death in Blackpool | (Bonus) An Earthly Child | Situation Vacant | Nevermore | The Book of Kells | Deimos/The Resurrection of Mars | Relative Dimensions | Prisoner of the Sun | Lucie Miller/To The Death

The War Doctor
Only the Monstrous | Infernal Devices | Agents of Chaos | Casualties of War | The Day of the Doctor

9th Doctor
Rose | The End of the World | The Unquiet Dead | Aliens of London/World War 3 | Dalek | The Long Game | Father's Day | The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances | Boom Town | Bad Wolf | The Parting of the Ways

10th Doctor
Season 2
The Christmas Invasion | New Earth | Tooth and Claw | School Reunion | The Girl in the Fireplace | Rise of the Cybermen/The Age of Steel | The Idiot's Lantern | The Impossible Planet/The Satan Pit | Love and Monsters | Fear Her | Army of Ghosts | Doomsday

Season 3
The Runaway Bride | Smith & Jones | The Shakespeare Code | Gridlock | Daleks in Manhattan/Evolution of the Daleks | The Lazarus Experiment | 42 | Human Nature/The Family of Blood | Utopia | The Sound of Drums | The Last of the Time Lords | Time Crash

Season 4
Voyage of the Damned | Partners in Crime | The Fires of Pompeii | Planet of the Ood | The Sontaran Stratagem/The Poison Sky | The Doctor's Daughter | The Unicorn and the Wasp | Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead | Midnight | Turn Left | The Stolen Earth/Journey's End

Year of Specials
The Next Doctor | Planet of the Dead | Waters of Mars | The End of Time

10th Doctor Adventures (Audio)
Volume 1

11th Doctor
Season 5
The Eleventh Hour (kinda) | The Beast Below | Victory of the Daleks | Time of Angels/Flesh & Stone | The Vampires of Venice | Amy's Choice | The Hungry Earth/Cold Blood | Vincent and the Doctor | The Lodger | The Pandorica Opens | The Big Bang | A Christmas Carol

Season 6
The Impossible Astronaut/Day of the Moon | The Curse of the Black Spot | The Doctor's Wife | The Rebel Flesh/The Almost People | A Good Man Goes To War | Let's Kill Hitler | Night Terrors | The Girl Who Waited | The God Complex | Closing Time | The Wedding of River Song | The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe

Season 7
Asylum of the Daleks | Dinosaurs on a Spaceship | A Town Called Mercy | The Power of Three | The Angels Take Manhattan | The Snowmen | The Bells of Saint John | The Rings of Akhaten | Cold War | Hide | Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS | The Crimson Horror | Nightmare in Silver | The Name of the Doctor | The Day of the Doctor | The Time of the Doctor

12th Doctor
Season 8
Deep Breath | Into the Dalek | Robot of Sherwood | Listen | Time Heist | The Caretaker | Kill the Moon | Mummy on the Orient Express | Flatline | In the Forest of the Night | Dark Water | Death in Heaven | Last Christmas

Season 9
The Magician's Apprentice | The Witch's Familiar | Under the Lake/Before the Flood | The Girl Who Died | The Woman Who Lived | The Zygon Invasion | The Zygon Inversion | Sleep No More | Face the Raven | Heaven Sent | Hell Bent | The Husbands of River Song

Season 10
The Return of Doctor Mysterio

Big Finish Specials
The Sirens of Time | The Light at the End | UNIT: Dominion | UNIT: Extinction | UNIT: Shutdown | UNIT: Silenced | The Diary of River Song Volume 1 | The Diary of River Song Volume 2 | Classic Doctors, New Monsters: Volume 1

Also just for ease of access, here are most of the gifs I've posted over the years in the various threads:

William Hartnell | Patrick Troughton | Jon Pertwee | Tom Baker | Peter Davison | Colin Baker | Sylvester McCoy | Paul McGann | Christopher Eccleston | David Tennant | Matt Smith | Peter Capaldi

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm still not entirely sure on whether or not Power will be available to watch on their streaming service if you're outside of the UK, but I've waited my whole life to see a proper version of this story I suppose I can wait three more weeks for the DVD..... I guess

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

uvar posted:

Do Big Finish audios get discounted much?

I own something like 80-85% of the main monthly range and I think I've paid full price for.... two of the audios? These are a ton of themed sales all the time, to the point that I sometimes decide to take advantage of one and go to grab the dozen or so titles on discount and realize I already own all of them :sweatdrop:

MysticalMachineGun posted:

I'm a fan - between you and Toxx/Lick The Whisks write-ups I'm getting another view on Who separate from my wife's endless "David Tennant... :swoon:" reviews.

uvar posted:

P.S., Jerusalem, and the other person who did some in another thread: I haven't read very many, but I appreciate the write-ups!

I'm glad, thanks :) Mostly my original intention was just to have my own thoughts written down so I could remember what my initial take on them was but I'm pleased others get something out of them too :)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

Also jeru we should Do A Thing sometime. I dunno what yet but I think it would be cool.

That would be fun for sure :)

Big Mean Jerk posted:

FWIW, I read your reviews even though I've only ever listened to one audio.

:glomp:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That's not last year's Christmas special.

I kinda wish it was every year's (and every show's) Christmas Special :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I still think one of my favorite encapsulations of the Doctor as a character comes from The Beast Below

Doctor: Amy I have one rule, one unbreakable rule. We never, ever, ever interfere.
Immediately interferes

:allears:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I should really listen to Doom Coalition.... which means I should really listen to Dark Eyes! Which means I need to get caught up on the contemporary Monthly Range titles..... oh and there is 4th Doctor Adventures Seasons 2 and up to do as well, not to mention the last War Doctor audio and the upcoming UNIT boxset and.... oh God :gonk:

Martytoof posted:

So uh, I don't know if this is blasphemy in here or not but the animation on Power of the Daleks looks pretty awful. This is the best BBC could come up with? I mean that's just the impression I got from the youtube video.

I've seen a couple different videos and one of them looked really good and the other looked kinda meh, I'm hoping like hell it turns out more the former than the latter.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm just letting you all know.

If the Cubs lose this game, Doctor Who is cancelled.

I'm not a Cubs fan, mind you, but there's a poison pill clause in Doctor Who that if the Cubs lose a deciding Game 7 of the World loving Series after five loving runs up and a rain delay that kicks off extra innings, the entire of Doctor Who is just scrapped.

Bain't nobody loving with Billy Hartnell's show :smug:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I'm just letting you all know.

If the Cubs lose this game, Doctor Who is cancelled.

I'm not a Cubs fan, mind you, but there's a poison pill clause in Doctor Who that if the Cubs lose a deciding Game 7 of the World loving Series after five loving runs up and a rain delay that kicks off extra innings, the entire of Doctor Who is just scrapped.

Doctor Who isn't cancelled! :neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

I feel that Clara was a much better fit with Twelve as opposed to Eleven on top of getting character development.

Yeah, I was a big fan of Clara but that's mostly based on her two seasons with the 12th Doctor. She's very good in Day of the Doctor and Time of the Doctor with 11, but the back half of season 7 and the "Impossible Girl" stuff fell flat for me, and Clara lacked any real sense of identity. Part of that was deliberate, part of it was down to having Amy and Rory stick around a half season longer than they needed to (as much as I loved both of them). I'll miss her as the companion, but I feel like they'd completed a pretty satisfying character arc for her.

The_Doctor posted:

So the BBC are releasing Power of the Daleks on bluray next year, with a colour version of it on the disc too.

Fuccccccck :shepspends:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The 21st Century has been so loving good for Doctor Who fans :shobon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Box of Bunnies posted:

Finally decided to pick back up with the Eighth Doctor Adventures after some detours into Benny, T. Bakes, and John Hurt territories and I'm starting series 3 and uh, is it just me being a bit sensitive or is the villain in Orbis skirting pretty close to being uncomfortably transphobic? Like, it feels like some Buffalo Bill poo poo.

Orbis is pretty good for the Doctor/Lucie dynamic, especially their reunion scene which is hilarious. Other than that it ranges from dull to frustrating to bad. For my own part I didn't get a sense of transphobia from the villain and their species, mostly because I was too busy being annoyed by the voice effect or finding them utterly underwhelming/unable to take them seriously as a threat since they seemed to be so incompetent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CaptainYesterday posted:

Does anyone have any personal opinions of the Power of the Daleks episodes released so far?

Not in the UK so I have to wait to see it in a theater release in a week or so. An entire week. No Doctor Who fan has ever had to wait so long to see an episode :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Burkion posted:

So I'm watching Talons for the first time because of the above

I knew its reputation

Holy poo poo I was not prepared for how *OVERWHELMINGLY RACIST* it is

This is magically hateful

I always remember how enjoyable the actual story is but my mind kind of downplays the racism as "unfortunate" but not THAT bad. Then I watch it again and the racism is just at,"Holy gently caress! :stare:" levels.

Then a few months pass and I once again start remembering only the really good parts of the story and not quite recalling just how high the level of racism is. The bit that does always stand out for me though is when (late in the story) Chang feels abandoned and so just heads off to smoke some opium.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

City of Cardiff Council, eh? Do they have a new mayor who doesn't like getting her photo taken? :tinfoil:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

The second story of the new War Doctor set is what I've always wanted - the Sontarans telling the Time Lords and Daleks to let them into the Time War. Or else.

Ahahaha oh God I gotta get this, I cannot wait to hear that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Edit: Actually there's probably more than enough politics chat in every other thread on the forums right now.

Unit: Silenced is out this month, I hope they pull that off. The first audio was really good, second not so great.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Maybe we'll have it easy and be part of the 10% killed by Toclafane

For every problem I have with that episode, I will forever love it for the Master using the word "decimate" properly :swoon:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Much like Twelve Monkeys, I enjoy State of Decay more every time I watch it. The texture is just so wonderful

Goddamn do I love Twelve Monkeys for much the same reason. Also State of Decay!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Just finished 4's run. Good times

My first impression is that I liked 3 a bit better as an actor (if I'm making a forced distribution), but 4 has the better stories. Not enough ridiculous chase scenes in 4, either.

I really love how the loose theme of entropy in the last season is matched up rather fortuitously (now, probably not so much at the time) with Tom looking noticeably older/more worn-down - it really makes "it's the end.... but the moment has been prepared for" work so well both in the sense of saving the universe from falling apart AND the Doctor becoming this new, young and fresh-faced character.

Also it's wonderful how nicely it parallels themes introduced in the Third Doctor's last story, where the Doctor's old mentor has psychically manifested his own future self into the world which the Fourth Doctor ends up doing with The Watcher. Considering that happened 7 seasons apart at a time when it wasn't as straightforward as it is now to get immediate access to previously aired stories, I wonder how many at the time picked up on it and how many didn't see it till years later when they watched everything in a short timeframe (like me!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I went and watched Power of the Daleks in the theater, holy poo poo it was good. Even in animated form the strength of the story shines through and it remains one of the best Doctor Who stories I've ever seen (and now I have properly SEEN it!) - I had forgotten so many of the wonderful little moments and performances, the great supporting characters and their arcs. Lesterson and his slow unraveling into madness stands out, but I think I gained a new appreciation for the "Side with whatever side benefits her personally" Janley. Even just animated, the scene of the camera panning over the corpses of the colonists - rebel and authority alike - after the Daleks set about exterminating EVERYBODY is still really chilling. Can't wait to buy the DVD.

Also Patrick Troughton is incredible.

Doctor: Read this.
Lesterson silently reads it
Doctor: Aloud :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I discovered a vaccine for Big Finish sales.... own everything already!

:negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I went with a friend who enjoys Who but isn't crazy into it, and has only seen a handful of classic episodes. She really dug it (and LOVED Troughton), but it sounds like your friend isn't much of a fan of the classic series and this one has all the "problems" you would find with that. The animation is mostly serviceable (at times it is really good, every so often it looks really stilted) - I'd say you'd be better off either going by yourself or trying to organize with some other friends to watch it on BBCA even if you don't watch it "live".

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I've been catching up on the second season of Gotham (and pondering why, since it's at best okay and often terrible, and never quite realizes its hammy potential) but hey if Michelle Gomez didn't just show up! I can only assume she's there to poach Sean Pertwee for a Third Doctor appearance, there's no need to correct me I'll just assume I'm right.

King Plum the Nth posted:

Sorry to drop in at random and I hope this isn't an old matter but I don't get to follow the forums as closely as I'd like these days and I wanted to seek the opinion of Whovians I can trust.

So I only just got to watch the latest Star Trek movie and had to ask: anybody else see a strong connection to State of Decay?

I may be looking for patterns in things that aren't there but I know Simon Pegg wrote it, Pegg is a fan, and, honestly, one of my top 5 favorite Who stories (at least top 5 Tom stories) came to mind so strongly I just had to check and see if anyone else thought the same.

I suppose there is a very basic similarity that I wouldn't have seen if you hadn't brought it up, but I think that's probably more of a coincidence.

Now if Kirk had speared the bad guy through the heart with a starship on the other hand....

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

Heathrow?

I'm going to see it tomorrow night. Can't wait!

The episode, not the airport.

That's good, because my experience of Heathrow was that I had no choice but to wait. For hours :gonk:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

British power outlets look like very concerned Cybermen :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Short Synopsis: Sluggish from a run-in with the Ex, the Doctor finally remembers where he left his keys

Long Synopsis: The Doctor and Amy find themselves on a doomed spaceship from the beginning of time under assault from a spaceship from the end of it. Mistaken identities abound as former powers desperate to regain what they've lost seek the final segment of the Key to Time. The Doctor must choose between chaos and order, black and white, revenge and forgiveness - the universe WILL survive, but in what form?

What's Good:
  • Amy and Zara. Oddly enough since a lot of this story was recorded FIRST in the Key 2 Time Saga before they'd really established Amy and Zara's characters, this actually feels like the best use of the characters so far AND a natural progression of the stories that preceded it (which wouldn't be recorded until after this one!). In particular it is Zara who gets the most growth, she was missing from the last story but plays a large part in this one, though not always by the same actor. She and Amy began "life" as Tracers, sentient beings capable of finding and holding the segments to the Key to Time. But the passage of time and their interactions with others has made them develop as people, and it is the failure of the antagonists to recognize this (and of course, the Doctor's ability to see it) that plays a large part in ultimately saving the day. Both were quite deliberately one-dimensional at first, but deliberate or not it didn't make them particularly engaging characters. It paid off here though, as Zara develops feelings and begins second-guessing her own often cavalier and superior attitude. Meanwhile, Amy continues along the path of the previous stories, as she gradually grows as a person in her own right and learns to start making her own decisions instead of just echoing off the personality of whoever happens to be the dominant person in the room. Having the ending in mind before writing the preceding stories probably helped, but Amy and Zara both weren't anywhere near as interesting as characters as they are in this story.

• The identity fake-outs. This story is filled with a large number of surprise reveals regarding characters. Some are good, some are bad, but one in particular is phenomenally well-handled, as the Doctor hears a voice, makes an assumption, gets proven wrong but in the process ends up turning out to be right! The casting of Lalla Ward is great if only for the fact that they're playing somebody that makes perfect sense in regards to the setting, and then even that gets turned on its head. Meanwhile, other characters turn out not to be who they were thought to be, not even who they thought themselves to be! All of these fake-outs are smoothly handled however, there is nothing confusing about it at all.

• The final segment. After the first four segments were so easily found, the fifth and sixth proved more elusive. The eventual discovery of the 5th was very well handled in The Destroyer of Delights, and even though it doesn't quite get the elaboration it needs the same can be said of the sixth and final segment. When finally revealed it makes for a great cliffhanger, as well as a neat subversion of the discovery of the 6th segment in the original Tom Baker Key to Time season. Exactly why the Guardians or the Tracers couldn't find it earlier doesn't really get explained but I get the impression from spoken lines that Romana's lengthy stay in E-Space helped mask the Segment from discovery. There is a bit of a cop-out to get Big Finish out of the situation they just created, of course, and the identity of the person kind of nullified any tension about what the eventual resolution would be.... but you could make the same argument about a story about the end of the Universe featuring the 5th Doctor when we know he's still going 8 regenerations later (9 if you count Dildo-Doctor which apparently we're supposed to) and in the end it was worth it just for,"That's right Doctor, I and the 6th Segment!" and then the end theme kicking in.

What's Not:

• The slugs. There is a vaguely interesting idea about an army being drawn from across time, including a fleet of aliens from one of the earliest space-faring races going to battle with a space-faring race from the end of time. But it basically gets ruined by the all-too familiar bubbling, gurgling voices of a corpulent, malicious and viciously stupid race of ugly, slimy aliens that British sci-fi seems to find so endlessly fascinating/hilarious. I'm not sure if they're meant to be something akin to the creatures from The Twin Dilemma or not but that's what they reminded me of. They're shallow and make no sense, the Commander straight up eats any of his crew who questions an order, which can't exactly be conducive to the productive running of a starship. They seem to be there mostly for comic relief, are largely written out after the first episode only to make an unwelcome return before promptly disappearing again because they really have no place within this story outside of a delivery mechanism for getting the Doctor, Amy and Zara down to the planet. It is however a neat touch that this planet ends up being where the Doctor first meet Amy, and the crashed spaceship he was investigating ended up being the one he would later be on as it crashed. The slugs, like the dog-alien they run into on the planet, just seem to be filler, and not particularly good filler at that.

• The Powers That Be/Were. Several major powers show up in this story and largely end up doing nothing and mostly proving a distraction or a less than engaging ultimate foe for the Doctor and Amy at the end of this "saga". Two in particular are very annoying because the previous story was very much about removing the Guardians from the board, ending with the two powerless and useless and realizing they had no choice but to sit around and wait for the Doctor to fix everything to restore them to their prior powerful states. To have them both show back up cranked up in power again was annoying even if some of the reveals were cleverly done, because just as Big Finish acknowledged in the behind-the-scenes of the previous story, characters like this can't help but utterly dominate a story due to their power levels. The Doctor's big indictment of them as incapable of thinking creatively and being utterly dependent on agents to do their work for them would be a great moment... if he hadn't already done just that in the previous story. Then there is the new "power", the "Grace", which gets namedropped throughout the saga and then finally shows up and feels completely unremarkable and fails to distinguish herself in any way from the likes of the Guardians/Eternals/Time Lords etc. She is also dealt with rather abruptly, despite being talked up for her massive power the ease with which the Doctor overcomes her makes her feel rather useless.

• The "saga". This story finishes up the Key 2 Time "saga" and once again I have to ask... why? In the end the use of the old Key to Time from the Tom Baker years may have allowed some level of familiarity, but it does so little different and ultimately makes so little difference (time itself is supposed to be unraveling, the worst we see is a frozen rain storm on a planet and some deteriorating handbags) that they might as well have made up something completely new on a similar power level. That at least would have freed them up to do their three-parter without having to cram finding the first four segments into the opening story - they could have had Amy and Zara both find one each across the three stories, but then they couldn't have done the scene where Zara tries to steal Amy's right at the start and gets blasted for her troubles. Similarly when the story finishes up it feels like mostly a waste of time. It kinda worked in the Tom Baker season because there was something lovely and anarchic about the 4th Doctor spending all that time assembling the key and then scattering the pieces all over again to save Astrid and thumb his nose at the Black Guardian. The much calmer and friendly 5th Doctor couldn't do the same, and the self-sacrificing nature of his attempt to end the danger of the Key is fitting, but it also makes the previous 3 stories feel like they accomplished nothing. They never really sold the supposed danger the Universe was in as a result of the Doctor's earlier actions, the whole thing largely felt like a waste of time.

Final Thoughts:

The Chaos Pool is, by itself, quite a fun story. As is The Destroyer of Delights before it. The trouble is both stories are part of a larger whole and the whole is NOT greater than the sum of its parts. There is some neat character stuff for Amy and Zara, both of whom I assume are only around for these three stories and no more meaning that by the time they become solid characters in their own right its time for them to leave. There are some neat fake-outs and cliffhangers but they're quickly negated or twisted back to the status quo - one very cool cliffhanger moment revealing the final segment is so well handled but, once established, the story seems most concerned with completely reversing this all back to the initial expectations. They also go back to the well of using the Guardians after going out of their way to get rid of them in the previous story and the attempt to create a new massive universe-shaking threat/baddie the Doctor almost casually deals with them and then moves on. There's a lot of negativity here, but it's as a result of being part of a larger "season" arc, a sequel that nobody was demanding and that never really justifies its creation. The actual story by itself is really quite entertaining and the character interactions are for the most part solid and well-written. If this story was able to stand-alone (which I do not think it is, sadly) I'd happily recommend listening to it. As it is, this one (and the Key to Time as a whole) are mostly for listening to for completion's sake, and thinking about what might have been if all three stories had been stand-alone. By themselves, each one could have been very good, but put them together and the flaws just become too magnified.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

BSam posted:

Yeah. I like all three of those stories, but I don't really give a toss about the overarching plot.

McGann posted:

Agreed. Reading your reviews made me want to re-listen to them all, especially Destroyer of Delights because of the Guardians absolute pity-party attitude about being stuck in so few dimensions but I could be damned if I can think of a point to the plot, besides introducing The Grace.

Yeah, The Judgement of Iskarr suffers the most but you can see the core of an interesting story in there. The Destroyer of Delights is probably my favorite of the three. But thinking back over the trilogy, all I can think is somebody at Big Finish saying,"Let's do a sequel to The Key to Time!" and nobody asking the relevant question,".....why?"

It was fun, though I have to admit rolling my eyes at the idea of Davros showing up until I read a little further. I dug the idea of Davros' personal and physical changes, and the concept of the companion choosing to go with the "better" man echoes what they did in the 8th Doctor Adventures with the Monk and Tamsin.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 14, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Three years ago today...

"I'm a doctor, but probably not the one you were expecting."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U3jrS-uhuo

Oh goody, a less tenuous than normal excuse to post this!

http://i.imgur.com/WMCkkvx.gifv

:neckbeard:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Power of the Daleks is yesterday's news, where's my Evil of the Daleks!?! :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

God, the Daleks in this are real poo poo-eating-grin-having little bastards, huh? Lots of personality.

Hearing them pull up short when they're about to go on a typical Dalek tirade, then agonize through pretending to be subservient is so great.

"With Static Power, DALEKS WILL BE TWICE AS...... useful....."

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Nov 15, 2016

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Lesterson whispering,"I am your serrrrrr-vant" and the Daleks' response still gives me chills.

If only he had listened, Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson. Listen Lesterson.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Also just put Victory of the Daleks on for more snarky Dalek goodness.

I am your SOL-DIER

"You..... do NOT want tea?"

Edit: Which reminds me, it cracks me up in Power when the Dalek brings Bragen his drink, then comes back like 30 seconds later all,"HAVE YOU FINISHED YOUR LIQUID YET!?!"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh yeah, I hope everybody stuck around after the credits for the extra feature, it was quite fun.

Even if when,"Nick Briggs, Modern Series Dalek Operator" came up I harumphed because that's,"Nick Briggs, Big Finish Executive Producer and Redeemer of Colin Baker" to you :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Another great little moment:

Daleks: THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POWER! THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POWER! THE DALEKS SHALL HAVE THEIR POW-
Lesterson cuts off the power
Dalek: ....please put the power back on..... :ohdear: :argh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CobiWann posted:

What's The Prisoner?

Don't make me hurt you, Cobi :negative:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The best Doctor Who episodes are the ones that are really well written and performed :) Whether that means a complete standalone episode or part of some longer storyarc, quality will out.

Now where is my animated or recovered Evil of the Daleks? :mad:

Bicyclops posted:

The Borg are probably the best example, because they're a modestly good villain that first time, and only that at best, and then they become worse and worse Space Zombies every time they appear, with almost no improvement ever. It'd be like if Doctor Who changed the Cybermen to have "Excellent!" as a catchphrase and have a weakness to gold, or to shout "DELETE! DELETE! DELETE!"

One day we will get our amazing modern Cyberman story. One day..... :sigh:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

uvar posted:

Curious: Is there a list of all the "X of the Daleks" titles, including the audio/books/etc? I feel like it's 100% certain that somebody has compiled it already, but I couldn't find one.

ed: Bah, ctrl+f through a bigger list will suffice.

If you go to the wikipedia page for any individual televised Dalek story (Power of the Daleks, for instance), down the bottom you should be able to click to show a list of televised Dalek stories and a separate list of Dalek novelizations. Similarly, going to the wiki page for any individual audio Dalek story (Brotherhood of the Daleks, for instance) there will be a list down the bottom of Dalek audio stories.

So they're not all in one place, but you can get a working list from there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yeah that cover is pretty horrendously put together.

echoplex posted:

The episode where Enterprise tries to make a canon explanation for why 60's Klingons had different foreheads was definitely the point where it had bludgeoned itself to death with it's own continuity.

Especially since DS9 already handled it in the best way possible (apart from completely ignoring it which is the absolute best and most correct way to handle it).

Bashir: Those Klingons don't have forehead ridg-
Worf: We do not talk about that :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rhyno posted:

The next few months will probably feature a series of interviews where Moff makes himself look worse and worse and end with the show getting canceled.

If he's not careful he might not be the showrunner after season 10!

• Locked thread