Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tie-breaker for serial you'd most like to find an episode from
This poll is closed.
The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve 33 44.59%
The Highlanders 41 55.41%
Total: 74 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I was going to say that they might be American and that the original film doesn't have nearly the same cultural significance over here, but then I checked SiKboy's posting history, and yeah... work it out amongst yourselves.

(It's a great movie.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Ms Boods posted:

Be sure to follow it up with his cameo in Space Balls.

Another strange little film he was in is Frankenstein Unbound.

Here you go -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9smZO4gkkLE

He, if we're doing this, I can tell everyone to go watch Dead Man again! He's only in a bit, but so is everyone else in that lunatic cast.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

I was hoping for him to turn up in the 8th Doctor Time War set :sigh:

Let's give this a revisit. I love the younger Hurt footage interspersed in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LutkLN0P0PM

With a Leonard Cohen song?! God loving dammit, why are you doing this to me

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
What's that? The entire cast of Bletchley Circle, you say?

(I've said it before, but dammit I can keep dreaming.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Tim Burns Effect posted:

Hattie Morahan (on the far left) has already played the Doctor's companion.

on audio :getin:

Hey, I'm only up to August 2011! :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

Anyone have any contacts at Buckingham Palace? I think we need a royal decree that no actor/actress under 40 ever be cast as the Doctor, and that under 50 only be permitted in an emergency. :colbert:

Look what you did! :mad:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Sad King Billy posted:

I think there will be a remit to bring back many of the viewers who left with Tennant and I have a feeling that Chibnall maybe more similar to RTD than Moffatt.

So with that in mind a sexy young Doctor will be hired, someone who will attract a young squee happy female audience, he will have a high profile but will not have broken into the movies.

Hmmm, so a pin-up guy, you're saying?

Ian McShane's Wikipedia entry posted:

Even before Lovejoy, McShane was a pin-up as a result of appearances in television series, such as Wuthering Heights (1967, as Heathcliff), If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969, as Charlie), Jesus of Nazareth (1977, as Judas Iscariot), and Disraeli (1978)—as well as films like Sky West and Crooked (1965) and Battle of Britain (1969).

:getin:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The Doctor? Suave?

Dream casting aside, I really respect Idris Elba for wanting to go with new characters he can define, rather than jumping into long-standing roles.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

King Plum the Nth posted:

I'd be curious to hear what others think but given ( in my mind) that there are basically two schools of actors -- ones who more or less play themselves and ones who more completely assume other personas -- I feel like, if all the Doctors have anything in common, it's that they're of the latter type.

Well, Tom Baker notwithstanding. But he was the Doctor to begin with.

The_Doctor posted:

Name and Time I have to pause over, but Day and Night I always remember because they're both awesome in their own way.

I think you forgot one!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks, I'll check that out. I'll also consider going straight to Big Finish too. Anything I should know ahead of time?

What kind of Doctor Who/stuff in general do you like? I'm sure the thread can tailor some recommendations for you, then derail about those picks until the new episodes start airing.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

That'll be somewhat hard to answer. Overall, my preference is for serialized stories where characters can grow and evolve along the growing narrative, and I think that Doctor Who can do that very well and very interesting with the two wildly different perspectives of the Doctor and his companions. That said, I doubt there is too much of that in Big Finish, as I imagine the show is somewhat of a sacred cow, and how much can you change things without it throwing the show into question? Other than that, I really enjoy when Doctor Who can be the platform for some wild and fun world and culture building. I love when we get to explore weird alien races, interesting future peoples, and get thrown into philosophical or ethical conundrums, like Star Trek with more whimsy and wonder. I also enjoy a good mystery, where you wonder how the Doctor will get out alive and with his code intact. I realize this covers a lot of ground, so I can specify if need be, but those are the stories that have stuck in my mind the most.

You're actually in pretty good shape for Big Finish, then. True, they can be pretty stiff when trying to squeeze into televised continuity, but with original companions and eras that weren't on TV (Six during the hiatus, Seven between Survival and the TV Movie, Eight up to the revival) they feel more free to develop characters and storylines on their own. As such I'm going to suggest my two favorite recommendations to start with, The Marian Conspiracy and Storm Warning (sorry cargohills). Here's why:
  • They both introduce original companions, who will be developed in upcoming stories, and are thread/fan favorites. Evelyn, in particular, is exactly the kind of companion the Sixth Doctor needed: someone just as snarky as he is, who can call both call him out and sympathize with him in a way a younger companion couldn't.
  • They both introduce some of the "unexplored areas" I was talking about, and start to set the tone of what these Doctors' audio stories will be like. Eight, they could do anything they wanted with, and this version of the Sixth Doctor was older and more mellow than during his televised stories.
  • They're both very easy to listen to, with small casts. If you aren't accustomed to audio dramas, they can require a bit of ear training. I have one friend who gave up on the first Eighth Doctor Adventure because, to a newbie, too many of the characters sounded similar, making it confusing. With these two stories, every voice is very distinct (including some silly accents), which makes it easier to follow along. Neither of these have particularly complex plots, either, which helps get down the mental staging process. I tried to do Spare Parts as my first audio, and really had trouble keeping track of everything, then I did Storm Warning everything clicked. When I came back to Spare Parts, I had no difficulty at all.
  • They're both cheap!
From there, you can mostly work your way up those two Doctors' ranges. You can jump straight from Storm Warning to Invaders From Mars if you like, but Sword of Orion is worth a listen and introduces an ongoing plot that will come and go periodically from the Big Finish like. The run from Invaders to Neverland is an ongoing story, and by the time I'd finished them, I was a raving Big Finish fan (sorry again cargohills). Interestingly, a lot of the things that will make up "Big Finish Continuity" are introduced in the Six/Evelyn story The Apocalypse Element, but really come into play in the second McGann "season" (culminating in the excellent Neverland). Not that you need to listen to Apocalypse Element first, but it's kind of cool that the two runs I tell people go with are linked together like that. If you like variety, there isn't really a downside to to trying to do them in order, the stories are mixed up rather nicely. There are a few that we'll tell you to avoid altogether, but most of the Evelyn and Charley eras are a pleasant ride.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Thanks for all the help! You all have given me a lot to look at. One last thing; looking at the Big Finish website, it seems most of the episodes are $9 for 60 minutes. Are there, I don't know, cheaper ways to get it? Like, used CDs and stuff? Cause that's a lot for a little.

Their page is legendarily awful. Go here, it will list the first 50, which are all $3/each.

https://www.bigfinish.com/ranges/released_reverse/monthly-series

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Most of my faves/important ones have already been mentioned, and I'll give a shout out to The Death Collectors - some the best production I've heard in an audio format, period (second only to Roger Waters' Amused to Death). If you want to experience how cinematic something can be without visuals, this is the one.

I had more, but realized they were almost all Colin Baker, he was just killing it during that period. If you got everything of his that wasn't by Paul Magrs, Joseph Lidster, or Robert Ross, you'd be doing pretty drat well. (Although you'd have to pay full price for Blue Forgotten Planet, last part of a series, the dastards!)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And while we're at it, is anyone else wondering if Sideburn Guy in the first picture is Douglas Adams?

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Possibly, but he doesn't look tall enough.

I know, but I want it to be true! Besides, he's bending over and our main comparison for size is the also-gigantic (if not quite as tall) Tom Baker.

For reference, I'm more like mini-Doctors Patrick and Sylvester, so they're all equal Godzilla height to me.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

McGann counts as a mini-Doctor too! He's only a couple of inches taller than McCoy and half an inch on Troughton, he just doesn't look that short.

I know, I was ready to list him too until I saw that he's definitely taller than me. :(

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And let's not overlook the oft-forgotten G. C. Keansi.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

Another I thought of was definitely Night Terrors, and although that wasn't great as an episode the dollhouse was a great setting for this. Scaled appropriately so people can be in it like a normal house, everything being fake just felt wrong.

I know you're going for televised stories, but The Chimes of Midnight has exactly what you're looking for, is a thread favorite, and costs only three bucks.

Audio may not be a bad place to crib from, really, since it has to rely on descriptive and conceptual creepiness without any visual shortcuts.

It's not as cheap, but The Death Collectors gets there, and Spider's Shadow (which comes included) maybe even moreso. Kingdom of Silver is based around a concept that should chill even hardened Cyber-fans, even if it doesn't quite stick the landing. Neverland, too, (and I'm ashamed to see so much ill spoken of it in the thread of late. Ashamed!) but it's the cap to a season-long arc.

I'm sure there are more, but I'm blanking right now. Memory Lane and The Nowhere Place, maybe? I always get those two mixed up, but they both gently caress with the idea of perceived space.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

Oh god you have no idea what you've awakened. I've been avoiding Big Finish because I was scared of what I'd fall into if I let myself start, but the fact that it's more accessible to me than the classic series meant it's probably the best recommendation of all these so far. But hey, Chimes of Midnight is three dollars, that's not a very painful first step, and it's a standalone thing that doesn't require me to buy other things to follow it, so it's not too bad. And oh hey while sniffing around the site Spare Parts is also three dollars and I know that's a great standalone Cyberman storyFUCK IT'S ALREADY HAPPENING.

The only reason I didn't buy Neverland too is because it's not as well-spoken-of here and apparently requires prior understanding of previous stories I don't know.

EDIT: I may go out on the weekend to see if I can find House of Leaves, so you win that round too, DoctorWhat.

Oh, you were looking at traveling this dark path with us, anyway. In that case, :getin:.

I usually recommend Marian Conspiracy and Storm Warning as ear training to start with, but the voices in Chimes should still be distinct enough for a beginner. Charley's backstory from Storm Warning drives the plot in Chimes, but you don't need to hear it first... especially since you already reference Father's Day.

If you do get hooked by 8, definitely think about doing his whole second "season" (Invaders From Mars to Neverland) - doing that is what finally turned me into a raving BF lunatic. It helped that there wasn't a particular Eighth Doctor "style" for them to copy from, although they're less dedicated to copying specific Doctors' eras as time goes on. Six (and later Seven) also benefits a lot from having stories set outside the range of their televised episodes.

What's our Classic Who familiarity? There's definitely some fanwank stuff in there, but by Neverland they're building as much off their own continuity as the inherited one.

Jerusalem posted:

Don't know when I'll get a chance to actually listen to them but that is way too good a deal to pass up, grabbed that and Mahogany Murders. Another day, another range!

It doesn't matter whether you have a chance to listen or not, it will happen. I can't think of another time in the past few years where I violated my "one story per day" policy as gleefully as the first J&L season.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Man, Colon of the Parentheses is so good.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Cleretic posted:

So I want to ask, in what situations do you guys listen to Big Finish stuff? I'm struggling to find a place to fit it into my normal routine, because while I put podcasts on when I'm doing work or playing a game that doesn't need 100% of my attention, the podcast tends to fall back in importance and I sort of drift out of things occasionally. I don't feel like that's a good suiting for Big Finish, since it should be getting most of my attention but I don't feel like I can only do that.

Commutes are out of the question since I live so close to work , which is a shame because it'd be a perfect fit otherwise.

Big Finish has become my constant companion for any kind of menial activity: dishes, housework, gym, snow shoveling, boring tasks at work, you name it. Now, I'm able to do all this because I've listened to a lot of Big Finish, so it's a lot easier for me to compartmentalize what I'm hearing vs. what I'm doing. It's one reason I tell people to start with the earlier, simpler audios to train themselves up. I'm sure I don't have the retention I would if I gave an audio 100% of my attention, of course, and I should go back and really give the good ones the attention they deserve.

Speaking of earlier Big Finish, the thread recently reminded me of a project I began a while ago to help people starting out with the audios. It's a chart of the first 50 releases that includes any continuity or connections a particular story may have, and is (hopefully) more spoiler-free than Wikipedia. At some point, i may add comments and thread ratings, but for right now, it's purely navigational. Let me know any tweaks I can do with it!

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Open Source Idiom posted:

I've a "few" additions, some are pretty nerdy, but I hope they're helpful / interesting

Thanks for going through all that! Since this is primarily to help folks getting into BF, I wanted to limit the internal continuity to those first fifty stories. Good call on the character arcs, though! The "Serious Ace" stuff is essentially dropped when Hex shows up, so I'd actually forgotten about it.

I've made some additions, hopefully it won't look too overwhelming for the newbie. Down the line, I'll try to figure ways to include recommendations without it getting too cluttered.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Barbara - Best Companion or Bestest Companion?

And nothing is more "Early Doctor Who" than how happy Hartnell is with his Science Cup:

:3:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

jivjov posted:

So very very first world. I still have stuff from the first Big Finish Humble Bundle that I haven't bothered to listen to because I don't want to manually manage the mp3s.

I'm still rocking BF through iTunes like it's 2003. :smug:

Mostly because I do my listening through the last generation of big iPod (My phone barely functions as a phone, let alone a media center), but I actually really like the way it handles audiobooks and podcasts.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Box of Bunnies posted:

Ooh, didn't have those and don't remember seeing the "more to come" thing on the bundle last week so that's a nice surprise bonus.

Get them, they're way better than they have any right to be.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I just finished "Dalek Empire" and thought it was mostly dumb. How much better is " I, Davros? "

Entirely different beast, in no small part due to the fact that, aside from the framing narrating, there aren't any Daleks in it! This is more of an expansion on the Davros audio, playing on his skills as a manipulator and opportunist against the backdrop of decaying Kaled society. If Dalek Empire is a doorstopper space opera, this is more like a long-game political backstabbing drama - maybe think The Borgias with body horror, set in a post-apocalyptic dystopia instead of Renaissance Italy. And Terry Malloy is utterly fantastic, as always.

I guess the only reasons to avoid it would be if you need to have likeable "good guys", or if you're morally opposed to having a long-running character's background explored. But definitely grab it if you liked Davros.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

CommonShore posted:

I've listened to a few, but they fit so poorly into my lifestyle. I sometimes listen to them on road trips, but I have no intention of working my way through all of them.

As someone who has been doing exactly that for several years, I can tell you - you have that wrong.

Your lifestyle will adapt to service Big Finish. :psylon:

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

The_Doctor posted:

Hey, do you want to buy some Big Finish Benny art?

https://twitter.com/as1963/status/844287267107721216

I would like to have an Adrian Salmon piece of some kind, that's still the look of the 90s/Eighth Doctor era to me.

(Goes to "Previous Orders" page on Amazon and lovingly looks at last year's Secret Santa gift.)

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Jerusalem posted:

that godawful and slightly seedy scene where a hidden Peri sobs while listening to her mother and best friend cheerfully discuss how glad they were that she was gone and how they wish she'd stayed away forever.

Lidster.txt

Open Source Idiom posted:

I remember thinking that was one of the stronger parts of the text, and was a clever reversal of the grave scene where the Cyberman eavesdrops on the family's grief. Our emotions can render us inhuman, frail and unlikable, and the Cybermen offer a way of interpreting the world that's free of the messy emotional entanglements that make living so difficult. So, in that context, the story needs to feature sudden violence and pointless death, since that's what it's a story about.

I understand that's what he wants it to be, but his writing is so overwrought and theatrical that it just becomes a performance of the characters' suffering rather than an examination of it - hence the "misery porn" tag. There's also the unfortunate tendency to do this with established characters, so it not only fails to gel with their lives (and personality) that already established, but also completely vanishes by the nest story.

As has been said, it's no surprise he works well with actual soap opera.

(As an aside, after years of trying to get my mother into Doctor Who Big Finish, she went and got into the Dark Shadows stuff on her own. Go figure.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

all-Rush mixtape posted:

A few episode titles have been revealed, but none of them are spoiler-y.

e: putting two and two together makes me believe the second episode will be a 21st century take on a certain 7th Doctor story.

WWWWHAAAAAAT HAAAAVE YOOOOU DOOOOONE TO MYYYY BEEEE-YOOOO-TEEEE-FULLLL TRUUUUMP TOOOOOWERRRRSSSzzzzzzzz :zombie:

• Locked thread