Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Maybe one of you would be willing to help me with a problem I'm having.

So I wanted to do a drawing for fun and part of it involved a hand holding a mirror up to the subject's face. Nothing to complex right? Here's a sloppy rough visual of what I had in mind;

So like, two hours later I cannot for the life of me figure out a way to draw this properly. I've tried finding reference pics and even took a photo of myself mimicking the pose but every time I tried to translate it into a drawing it came out awful. This is around the time I'd normally give up but I really want to finish more pictures so maybe one of you could show me how to do this properly?

If I were you, I'd start with some thumbnails, lots and lots of thumbnails, until you nail down the composition. If your composition isn't solid, then there is nothing you'll be able to do to make the piece look right. It'll also help to look at other paintings with similiar subject matter. You'll get to see how others handled this subject. There are plenty of old master painters with people looking at their own reflection in a mirror/water/etc and you might get some cool ideas from those. Can also look at modern artists, illustrators, etc. Hell if its an old master, don't be afraid to outright steal a composition . Master studies are one of the best methods for learning this kind of thing.

As far as specific feedback goes, going by the sketch, your composition is pretty cramped. Be careful about having the edges of objects (especially important ones) touch the edge of your canvas. You need to either add more space around the outside (make the objects smaller) or you can make the objects bigger and have them run off the edge. Do a lot of quick thumbnails, try a bunch of stuff out and go with whatever works the best.

Once you have a composition that works, you'll have a much easier time finishing the piece and ending up with something that you'll like.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread