Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
:synpa:

do you mods think theres a bit of a glut of threadshitting going on? not wrt this thread, just in general in here. it seems like the first page of a lot of threads has a cloud of negativity over it

it kind of makes GBS a posting-mordor sometimes :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

we've turned to forums poster g0m for comment:

If that's not funny to you, you aren't allowed to comment on fyad.

so why is fyad allowed to comment about gbs. they don't post here.

AugmentedVision
Feb 17, 2011

by exmarx
ffs

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

EVIL NOONER posted:

do you mods think theres a bit of a glut of threadshitting going on? not wrt this thread, just in general in here. it seems like the first page of a lot of threads has a cloud of negativity over it

thread making GBS threads is fine in lovely threads imo

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Quadrapellegiance posted:

been a rough week huh

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

thread making GBS threads is fine in lovely threads imo

yeah but when its first post thread shits or on the first page of a thread its not v helpful

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

EVIL NOONER posted:

It's easier if you report it, though I see you don't have plat. It's really hard to draw a line when it's only me looking at a post. My instinct is usually to let things go if I'm the only one who bristles at it. I never really wanted to be a schoolmarm probating regular posters for little things, and someone reporting is the (non-ideal) barometer I've used for stuff like that. I'll make an effort to be more proactive here as I think you are right.

Quadrapellegiance posted:

I'm not actually going to debate with you about fyad being good here. However, I will say, GBS being good is of interest to everyone on the forums. As the "public face" of the forums, new people are gonna come, click on GBS, and sign up or not based on what they see here. Sometimes, that's good, because they can't handle the kitchen or whatever, but sometimes a potentially contributing member doesn't sign up because they don't like what they see. I'm willing to guess that most posters on every forum here came to SA, saw something amusing in GBS, and then signed up. This is my opinion alone and I've consulted no one else on staff, but it's how I feel. I would like new people coming to the forums for the first time to see funny stuff and sign up because they are funny and appreciate others being funny on purpose.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mods, please address my query.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

EVIL NOONER posted:

I've noticed that. Generally most threads, even bad ones, get going once they hit page 2. I've done a few probes here and there and will continue to do so for it.

If you guys feel compelled to threadshit, at least try to be entertaining or relate it to the thread. I've let a couple pass because I laughed or because they tried to tie it in with the thread. That's just me and other mods/admins may still ding you for that poo poo so it's better just not to do it.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

It's easier if you report it, though I see you don't have plat. It's really hard to draw a line when it's only me looking at a post. My instinct is usually to let things go if I'm the only one who bristles at it. I never really wanted to be a schoolmarm probating regular posters for little things, and someone reporting is the (non-ideal) barometer I've used for stuff like that. I'll make an effort to be more proactive here as I think you are right.

thats the thing tbh. i wouldnt even necessarily report it or want to report it. i dont really like the idea of stifling stuff because sometimes funny things happen naturally that way anyway. but it it just seems rather pervasive. idk, ill try to pay more attention myself and see if im just imagining it or being butthurt over nothing

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

The Bananana posted:

Mods, please address my query.

Its because of you're grammar.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i'd like to request that the main forum index be shuffled once every two weeks so all the forums get mixed up all crazy.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

EVIL NOONER posted:

thats the thing tbh. i wouldnt even necessarily report it or want to report it. i dont really like the idea of stifling stuff because sometimes funny things happen naturally that way anyway. but it it just seems rather pervasive. idk, ill try to pay more attention myself and see if im just imagining it or being butthurt over nothing
Yeah, it's hard to balance. I agree with Mega64, if you're gonna threadshit, be funny about it. Hilarious things have happened in GBS because of funny threadshitting. One guy made a thread called "what do keep in your pocket" and he carried around a bunch of weird stuff like a pen/pad and a small rock, and posted a picture. The next poster immediately posted a picture with the exact same eclectic pile of stuff which made me laugh a lot. (Others did it again later which wasn't as funny but still, the first copycat was great.)

In general I try to be less harsh on people trying to be funny, even if they're failing. I have no patience for people making things worse on purpose, eg, posting threads that aren't just unfunny, but actively offputting and inspiring others to post in offputting ways.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
need more fat guys posting in gbs

i've always thought this

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

there should be a video game tournament between all the different forums every 3 months. video game is chosen by a poll stickied at the top of ever forum.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same

Hell Yeah posted:

there should be a video game tournament between all the different forums every 3 months. video game is chosen by a poll stickied at the top of ever forum.

that would kick rear end and I would help / participate.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Hell Yeah posted:

this would actually be kind of cool except the idea of having to read goons whining about rigged elections with this election as a backdrop is a non starter for me

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

scott zoloft posted:

need more fat guys posting in gbs

i've always thought this

Hi

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also i know i said the video game would be chosen by a poll but it should always be chivalry:medieval warfare

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I'm not actually going to debate with you about fyad being good here. However, I will say, GBS being good is of interest to everyone on the forums. As the "public face" of the forums, new people are gonna come, click on GBS, and sign up or not based on what they see here. Sometimes, that's good, because they can't handle the kitchen or whatever, but sometimes a potentially contributing member doesn't sign up because they don't like what they see. I'm willing to guess that most posters on every forum here came to SA, saw something amusing in GBS, and then signed up. This is my opinion alone and I've consulted no one else on staff, but it's how I feel. I would like new people coming to the forums for the first time to see funny stuff and sign up because they are funny and appreciate others being funny on purpose.

i agree with this, insofar that it doesn't matter how bad/good FYAD is that's no reason that GBS has to be lovely as well.

i am just going to however note that it's kind of dumb as hell for a very small minority to have special rules that allow them to harass other subforums, but the answer to that is "you just don't get it" so okay I guess.

also i like nu GBS, so far it has struck a decent balance between shooting the poo poo and more serious/long style posting which was immediately shat on in spooky GBS regardless of content. that Troy thread is cool.

Ork of Fiction
Jul 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

My extensive Chinese holdings mean I will benefit from it.

The point of the TPP is to establish free trade agreements with other Pacific Rim nations so that we can move factories out of China, where we already have a free trade agreement, and into more exploitable populations. Essentially, the Chinese workers have managed to elevate themselves through back-breaking work and have come to expect decent wages and a lifestyle above perpetually toiling in abject poverty. This is sub-optimal, so we are abandoning that growing middle class for 3rd world slaves in countries we can better control and extort when they act up.

IOW, the TPP is bad for China, as I understand it.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mega64 posted:

Its because of you're grammar.

:eng99:

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.

Moridin920 posted:

more serious/long style posting which was immediately shat on in spooky GBS regardless of content.

yeah i like knowing i can effortpost again :^)

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
Every post made in FYAD lowers your postcount by 1.
If you post in FYAD with a positive postcount, you're likely to receive negative attention!

Let's expand this rule and apply it to the proper nemesis of nu-GBS: QCS.
  • Every post made in QCS should lower your postcount by 1.
  • Every time you report a post it should lower your postcount by 15.

Soon enough, FYAD will have some new members to accept!
Thanks mods for reading my suggestions and approving this thread. :)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
how fat do you have to be to post in qcs?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Hell Yeah posted:

also i know i said the video game would be chosen by a poll but it should always be chivalry:medieval warfare

lol gently caress I forgot, I saw you and conq playing that on steam and downloaded it while I was shitfaced the other night, I guess I should try to play it

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Nooner posted:

lol gently caress I forgot, I saw you and conq playing that on steam and downloaded it while I was shitfaced the other night, I guess I should try to play it

oh yeah.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Jerry Mumphrey posted:

the soul is a dusty keyboard

Holy poo poo, Jerry!

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
THS is long dead and I'm glad of it.

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

EVIL NOONER posted:

been a rough week huh

"im not owned! im not owned!!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

Nooner posted:

No don't.

Unless you're shitfaced again.

Such potential squandered. So a good representation of the forums.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
AAAGGGAAATHTHHHAAAAAAAAA

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

i love you

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kuato posted:

THS is long dead and I'm glad of it.

He flung himself off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and told people to take feminism classes in his suicide note it was all real surreal

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

T.S. Smelliot posted:

He flung himself off the Sunshine Skyway Bridge and told people to take feminism classes in his suicide note it was all real surreal

that's ts12

T.S. Smelliot
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

What's ts12?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I know I'm only one man, but I think GBS could really use more threads about Trump.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

T.S. Smelliot posted:

What's ts12?
The guy who threw himself off a bridge because he punched a cop who busted his party and wrote a suicide note telling his friends to take gender studies classes.

I am a forums historian, a prophet of the past if you will.

Jerry Mumphrey
Mar 11, 2004

by zen death robot

(and can't post for 4 years!)

The guy who threw himself off a bridge because he punched a cop who busted his party and wrote a suicide note telling his friends to take gender studies classes.

I am a forums historian, a prophet of the past if you will.

oh yeah, that's why i minored in gender studies

misty mountaintop
Jun 2, 2015

by Hand Knit
I just became a BYOB IK. Can I send one thread a day, from BYOB to GBS?

e: may I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Ork of Fiction posted:

The point of the TPP is to establish free trade agreements with other Pacific Rim nations so that we can move factories out of China, where we already have a free trade agreement, and into more exploitable populations. Essentially, the Chinese workers have managed to elevate themselves through back-breaking work and have come to expect decent wages and a lifestyle above perpetually toiling in abject poverty. This is sub-optimal, so we are abandoning that growing middle class for 3rd world slaves in countries we can better control and extort when they act up.

IOW, the TPP is bad for China, as I understand it.

Basically, though there's also a pretty substantial security/balance of power subtext to the TPP that isn't strictly about maximal economic exploitation.

• Locked thread