Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer
Hey here is a heads up you chowder head mods. gbs is going to keep shrinking like a weekold grape as long as there is no promise of cool threads getting featured on the front page. people dont want to put is actual effort when they know practically nobody is going to see their work.

Back when Garbage Day was around he did a great job of featuring stuff from GBS on the front page. Maybe bring him back?

If you want more cool stuff like those game books that one guy makes, or funny videos, or creative art, stories, etc.... youre going to need to give posters more incentive than just a sticky and then a (((((maybe)))) move to the goldmine if you get around to it. Great threads should me celebrated and immortalized.

The forums as a whole and hopefully the internet needs to remember that GBS is a cool place for funny creative people to hang out and make interesting and hillarious content together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

yes i would like a plaque made in my name every time i make a funny post please. and i would like to be honored by president barack obama himself

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

Hell Yeah posted:

yes i would like a plaque made in my name every time i make a funny post please. and i would like to be honored by president barack obama himself

COme right this way sir we have all your plaques right in here *swings open door into big empty warehouse with a tumbleweed blowing by and a spoky owl hoots

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah lets get jastigers lena durngam thread to the front page baby

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

what's the point of posting if i won't be lauded by the holder of the highest political office in the land for doing so? frankly i am feeling undervalued here in gbs, where i just made a post about spiders crawling on my balls. you can't get that kind of good posting anywhere else, folks

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
We'll give out trophies that are kinda like oscars only instead of the oscar statuette it's that fat goon who puked on himself.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

We'll give out trophies that are kinda like oscars only instead of the oscar statuette it's that fat goon who puked on himself.

turn off your monitor

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i demand justice for gbs posters!!!!

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
suggestion: a sort of "highlight reel" or "killcam" for threads. i click a button and it shows me all the posts that got people probated/banned in a given thread

i was inspired by the 19 page thread about moderation in D&D that was made in QCS...yesterday

like, im not gonna read that thread, but i can only assume people have been probated and banned in it for hilarious reasons and would like to read those particular posts. i guess the lepers colony kind of does this but i want it on an individual thread basis

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I think amnesty for people banned 08-13 would be a good idea. There was some really stupid bans/probations those years. OTOH readership plummeted after the '13 revolution so who knows what drives traffic to and from this place? :shrug:

I did start posting again after '13 so the decline is probably exclusively my fault come to think of it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Trunko posted:

Hey here is a heads up you chowder head mods. gbs is going to keep shrinking like a weekold grape as long as there is no promise of cool threads getting featured on the front page. people dont want to put is actual effort when they know practically nobody is going to see their work.

Back when Garbage Day was around he did a great job of featuring stuff from GBS on the front page. Maybe bring him back?

If you want more cool stuff like those game books that one guy makes, or funny videos, or creative art, stories, etc.... youre going to need to give posters more incentive than just a sticky and then a (((((maybe)))) move to the goldmine if you get around to it. Great threads should me celebrated and immortalized.

The forums as a whole and hopefully the internet needs to remember that GBS is a cool place for funny creative people to hang out and make interesting and hillarious content together

This should all be resolved once the Digg button comes back.

But a Twitter account that tweets good threads would be a pretty sweet idea, actually.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Kuato posted:

I think amnesty for people banned 08-13 would be a good idea. There was some really stupid bans/probations those years. OTOH readership plummeted after the '13 revolution so who knows what drives traffic to and from this place? :shrug:

I did start posting again after '13 so the decline is probably exclusively my fault come to think of it.

if a ban from 2008 is barring somebody from posting here idk that theyre really the type of poster i want watching my back in the trenches

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Kuato posted:

There's probably some good people in there but probably mostly not. It's not like they're F5ing the page waiting to be unbanned either. Frankly if we're gonna pursue users who are no longer here, the ones who posted back then and aren't banned are probably a better target.

Like if you know someone who wants to be unbanned from 08, let me know I guess, but I don't think that's the best approach.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would like for my posts to be framed and put in a museum which is where they belong and then looked at with reverence for all time.

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i think you should give points for good posts and have a system where you can buy rewards on varying tiers with the good post points

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Whenever some political thing happens and it gets gassed in D&D, there's a sudden influx of refugees here in GBS. Is there any sort of rules we could make that would wall off those users and keep them on their poo poo side of the forums?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

also i would like for the mods to painstakingly comb through every thread and present to me only the highest quality thread for posting on a silver platter each morning, while i eat my breakfast in bed.

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

There's probably some good people in there but probably mostly not. It's not like they're F5ing the page waiting to be unbanned either. Frankly if we're gonna pursue users who are no longer here, the ones who posted back then and aren't banned are probably a better target.

Like if you know someone who wants to be unbanned from 08, let me know I guess, but I don't think that's the best approach.

I posted like 3-4 times a year from 10-14, but still read SA Mart routinely, and GBS regularly but didn't participate. I suspect a lot of those unbanned people had the same routine then just moved on.

Plus there's a lot of people lurking at all times I've never seen post before. Forums readership is a weird thing.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Kuato posted:

Plus there's a lot of people lurking at all times I've never seen post before. Forums readership social anxiety and fuckin weirdos is a weird thing.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i would like for my reply button to be gold plated and for roses and eagles to be etched into it, to reflect the high quality of my fucken posting

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

maybe they dont like to post. i think its fine, and in your case it would be ideal *incredibly :smugdog: face*

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
suck my dick, you fuckmen

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

i got a ban from back during those dark times id love to have made right

in line with a twitter that tweets out good threads, the (rediesigned) front page should also barf articles out onto facebook and whatever other social medias people use.

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
so basically if this was an always sunny episode itd be

The Gang Hires An Intern

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

The Gang Closes The Bar And For Some Reason It's Going Out Of Business Now

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Trunko posted:

i got a ban from back during those dark times id love to have made right

in line with a twitter that tweets out good threads, the (rediesigned) front page should also barf articles out onto facebook and whatever other social medias people use.
I will gladly unban it for only $10....unless it's a permaban.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

The something awful social media platform launches on tuesday.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

my offer is extended to all gbs posters since the mods did not want me will someone please adopt me

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

The something awful social media platform launches on tuesday.

What about the tractor beam?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Trunko posted:

I agree with all of this. I've said it a couple times, but I want a closer relationship between the front page and the forums. That said: I don't actually know how to make it happen.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

FactsAreUseless posted:

I agree with all of this. I've said it a couple times, but I want a closer relationship between the front page and the forums. That said: I don't actually know how to make it happen.

give me a subject I'll make a comedy article about it this weekend

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
Bring content creators in from reddit on a work visa

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

EVIL NOONER posted:

Bring content creators in from reddit on a work visa

this is the opposite of what we need.

its like saying "YOU KNOW WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS? MORE AATREK."

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

luv 2 date boys posted:

this is the opposite of what we need.

its like saying "YOU KNOW WHAT THIS BOARD NEEDS? MORE AATREK."

Hmm so all people here on visas are rapists then eh? Perhaps you agree with hell yeah

med school head
Apr 17, 2012
close gbs and qcs and make fyad the "front page" forum

gas this thread with this stupid opinions on how the forums should run poo poo jesus

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

med school head posted:

close gbs and qcs and make fyad the "front page" forum

gas this thread with this stupid opinions on how the forums should run poo poo jesus

without this thread where else would you voice your stupid opinions tho

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Trunko posted:

There are lots of funny threads but they are still hard to comb through because there are so many people whose only reason for posting is acting like an rear end in a top hat. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong but 8 or 9 years ago when most threads had a "kill yourself OP" and similar posts all over the first few pages the assholes eventually left and the thread could get good whereas now it just seems like, even after the recent GBS reboot, some people are still just coming here to be angry and poo poo up potentially good threads.

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

won't someone think of the potentially good threads?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord

EVIL NOONER posted:

Hmm so all people here on visas are rapists then eh? Perhaps you agree with hell yeah

i would also like a gold plated post button

• Locked thread