Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This has been talked to death over the past year or two, but: Zorak wasn't bad because he was strict (though 24 hour+ probations for grammar and punctuation were dumb), he became bad as he got sick of anime. He actively discouraged discussion of shows he didn't like, and as time went on, that list grew. He got mad at people for even using the term "slice-of-life," and shat on shows based on their genre in the seasonal threads. By the end of his reign, he was a bad mod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

wrt megathreads, it's a bit of a catch 22 in that most people won't make threads that aren't genre megathreads or current season stuff since they don't wanna put in effort for something that might just quietly die after a few posts. And heck, I can't blame em.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

By the end of his reign, he was a bad mod.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 3, 2016

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Over moderation of forums is poo poo and boring and bad and lame, if you don't feel like you're having fun talking to people, even when disagreeing with them, because the moderation is too strict then it's garbage and bad and the mods causing that need firing and calling rude names like geek, nerd or sword art online fans.

Basically, you take a look at shitholes like NeoGAF where there are strict rules about creating threads on specific days before game releases and that all posts need to be 1000% on topic or they'll get you banned and you sprint in the other direction for how to have a forum.

Step in if people are being -ist, dickheads, spreading poo poo that's illegal like piracy links or whatever, or nudes, other general decency violations and then just let things play out.

I feel like Bad Spookyfood did really well in only stepping in when it was needed and that's why ADTRW has been fun under his reign. And he didn't close the pictures of dogs thread for being off-topic with is an extremely important thread. Mods should be like sports referees, you shouldn't notice them if they're doing their job right.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Actually, I think the takeaway is that more people should post in the pictures of dogs thread.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

This has been talked to death over the past year or two, but: Zorak wasn't bad because he was strict (though 24 hour+ probations for grammar and punctuation were dumb), he became bad as he got sick of anime. He actively discouraged discussion of shows he didn't like, and as time went on, that list grew. He got mad at people for even using the term "slice-of-life," and shat on shows based on their genre in the seasonal threads. By the end of his reign, he was a bad mod.

Yeah. I've said before, but when I was lurking during the nadir of his time I felt like he just kind of tried to enforce this culture of shame I see in a lot of generally well-meaning nerd circles, where there's this constant self-deprecation and reluctance to engage with a lot of the medium as something other than "this dumb bullshit I kinda like to kill time with I guess." Thinking critically about stuff you enjoy, why you enjoy it (or don't), and what that might say about you is incredibly important, obviously, but there comes a point where you're just constantly assuming the worst of yourself and/or the poo poo you like and refusing to engage with things that broadly fit into whatever negative preconception you've established, and that goes from being a loving bummer at best to being actively unhealthy at worst.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zorak was also a hilarious hypocrite because he'd specifically shield directors that he liked for doing the things that he'd ban people for liking in other shows (Imaishi and KLK being the most obvious example) and ban people for talking about it.

Zorak sucked.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I've said it before, but Zorak was the sort of mod needed to clean up what ADTRW was in the early to mid 2000s, emphasis on the past tense. Most of the negative points against his term as Mod I concur with, but I think it's valid to give him credit for laying the foundations for a better anime forum, even if in a "3 steps forwatd, 2 steps back" sort of way.

But I'm not going to defend him personally, as he was guilty of a lot of stupid poo poo, like that^

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Rodyle posted:

Zorak was also a hilarious hypocrite because he'd specifically shield directors that he liked for doing the things that he'd ban people for liking in other shows (Imaishi and KLK being the most obvious example) and ban people for talking about it.

Zorak sucked.

No one got banned for liking or talking about fanservicey stuff unless it was straight up pedobait. Hell we had an active thread for Zvesda during his time which was pretty loving close.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

No one got banned for liking or talking about fanservicey stuff unless it was straight up pedobait. Hell we had an active thread for Zvesda during his time which was pretty loving close.

No I mean he threatened mod action for pointing out that KLK was all the stuff he would normally attack and insult others for talking about.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
:shrug: If the majority says that Zorak was bad, who am I to argue? I just meant that, in my experience, which is as a kind of white-noise poster who only ever really added silly quips most of the time, I never really had much interaction or noticed much on that side. Just, speaking in general terms, it really is still the same ADTRW generally in terms of the types of threads and conversations we have, I feel.

And I mean, so long as bad posters / creepy posts are kept firmly out the door, that's all I ask of a mod now. Let's let bygones be bygones. We shouldn't open up the can of worms that is Zorak-retrospective every time we change mods, and hopefully we won't for a good while.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

He's been gone for years let dead zoraks lie.

Bye Seafood, you should still hang out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Take care, Seafood!

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This subforum sure seems to churn through mods more than others that I can recall.

Godspeed.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Thanks for your service and good luck with your job and other busy-making things :patriot:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

I remember him probing me for calling either Zvezda or Robot Girls Z pedobait!!!

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I thought the klk thing was more of a "yes, you're right, this is really dumb, we've already heard it 1000 times by now please talk about something new" deal. I'm pretty sure he never said "kill la kill's fanservice is good and ok." In fact I recall having the impression that halfway through he was fairly down on klk.

It's worth remembering that the klk thread was really, really active while klk was airing, and like 80% of the discussion in it was about how awful titties are*

*this is not an exact figure, I probably don't remember it super well

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

One time I quoted a thing a person said, then followed it with a quote from someone else that answered whatever question/argument/whatever the first person had said.

Zorak probated me for empty quoting. Unfortunately awful app doesn't let me see my probes as far as I can tell, so I dunno if it was for a day or for 3 days, but at the time I remember thinking it was a little ridiculous

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Zorak is a nuanced historical figure in this anime forum

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Which mod is a deconstruction of Zorak?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

who cares about zorak, lets talk about the pre zorak mods like uhh

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I know literally nothing about the pre-zorak mods except apparently they allowed a thriving community of pedophiles to blossom

I know not their names, nor whatever other deeds they might have done. Only this single black stain on their reputation.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't one called ricewater or something

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ricequeen, as a joke on admin icequeen presumably

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Davincie posted:

who cares about zorak, lets talk about the pre zorak mods like uhh

I remember almost nothing about Ziegfeld and Menacer except they existed. Ricequeen made the first Marimite thread and that's about it.

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Cait sith, Ricequeen, Zigfield, Menacer, Zorak, Baal, Bad Seafood...Is this the complete list?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ninjewtsu posted:

I know literally nothing about the pre-zorak mods except apparently they allowed a thriving community of pedophiles to blossom

I know not their names, nor whatever other deeds they might have done. Only this single black stain on their reputation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2f5rgTkA0I

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You forgot yourself, baka!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

DrSunshine posted:

:shrug: If the majority says that Zorak was bad, who am I to argue
the majority said he was good, if you recall the recent poll...

i can't imagine adtrw requires much attention as a mod so it is odd how rapidly it has been going through them

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

zorak once threatened to ban me for saying an anime could be good, instead of bad.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

anyone have that Zorak post where he says his good buddy cannot be a pedophile for playing the pedophile VN, because he is gay

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I love talking about Zorak every time the word "mod" comes up

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

i love talking about hitler every time the word 'fuhrer' comes up

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

GorfZaplen posted:

I love talking about zorak in this, the goodbye bad seafood thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Everyone chill out and have a slice of life pizza.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

We come not to bury the old mod, but to bury the really old mod instead

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Bad Seafood has actually been working undercover to shine light on corruption in the mod community, his real name is actually deep seafood.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I actually have very little to say about bad seafood besides "yep, he was a good mod." I don't really recall him ever taking a terribly active role in the forum as a leader, more like he just posted like a normal dude and occasionally I'd see someone get probated for being really dumb. I like the general attitude this forum has cultivated, bad seafood did a good job of keeping cool people in this forum while also making sure there would be consequences for anyone who went over the line, which is an important part of making sure the cool people stay cool imo.

Tldr unremarkable but good, will miss. All hail the new kill la kill fan forum.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

question for matoi ryuko: have you decided what theme your resignation post will be next month????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Major adtrw criticism: I often feel crushed beneath the boot of moe elitism, please fill this forum with more people who have my taste in Japanese cartoons, tia

• Locked thread