Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Prism posted:

New monster: juvenile snapping turtle

Boom. Gooncrawl = Innovation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Prism posted:

New monster: juvenile snapping turtle

Teenage preferably. And have it drop purple chunks.

Dee Ehm
Apr 10, 2014

Worthleast posted:

Teenage preferably. And have it drop purple chunks.

This ties neatly back into the pizza re implementation.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Ferrinus posted:

Hmm, it seems that they've made Shatter damage insubstantial monsters, which screws up my plan for a necromancer/earth mage who uses Haunt, Death Channel, and Shatter all together.

Seems like someone took a pass at earth magic in general because they cleaned up LRD and made it only have a two tile radius explosion on green crystal from what I've seen, makes it much more reliable imo

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Closed the survey (a little later than I was going to because I got distracted), results are here with identifying info purged:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MjOdcjtzHR42tiRVyscJdv4ul-OoUXZkHuxHpbhzmc4/edit?usp=sharing

After counting the runoffs (a couple votes didn't follow runoff style voting, but it didn't affect the end result), it looks like the "Random food tiles with chance for pizza flavor" was the winner, with a solid first round that kept growing after getting most of the second choice votes of each one eliminated. I'll throw the fruit flavors into the mix as well while I'm at it (as a couple people suggested). Let me know if anyone would prefer something changed about how these "feature details" polls are delivered in the future (I will be keeping future polls on more complex features open for longer than this one).

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Floodkiller posted:

Closed the survey (a little later than I was going to because I got distracted), results are here with identifying info purged:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MjOdcjtzHR42tiRVyscJdv4ul-OoUXZkHuxHpbhzmc4/edit?usp=sharing

After counting the runoffs (a couple votes didn't follow runoff style voting, but it didn't affect the end result), it looks like the "Random food tiles with chance for pizza flavor" was the winner, with a solid first round that kept growing after getting most of the second choice votes of each one eliminated. I'll throw the fruit flavors into the mix as well while I'm at it (as a couple people suggested). Let me know if anyone would prefer something changed about how these "feature details" polls are delivered in the future (I will be keeping future polls on more complex features open for longer than this one).

This seems like it could be a good solution. Interesting to see how the new food changes play out, especially w/r/t fedhas.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

How does the thread feel about short blades? There are a few things I really like about Crawl's weapon system and a number of things I don't like. The way the game handles short blades is one of the things I don't like. I know some people say that there are plenty of low AC enemies that short blades remain effective against in the late game, but I find that the short blade characters I've played other than vinestalkers get really frustrating as the game goes on. I don't think the ability to stab is so amazing as to warrant your weapon of choice being nearly useless against a large number of enemies.

Hellcrawl just merges both short and long blades into one skill and replaces riposte with stabbing as the special property of those weapons. That's elegant and I like it. But I think there is still room for good weapons that stab and good weapons that riposte. I hope gooncrawl changes short blades without just merging them with long blades.

One possibility would be to make "stabbability" a sliding scale of added damage, with the various stab tiers giving flat amounts. If a short blade user scores a hit with their accuracy significantly over the target's evasion, the attack "stabs" by that amount.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Gooncrawl progress update:
  • Recharging is back to be hoarded for the good wandsto recharge wands to your heart's content.
  • Rations will now give a random food flavor when eaten. Pick out the good stuff like the pizza and fruit and throw the rest of the ration away; nobody likes the veggie omelette ration packs anyway.

Stuff left that I still want to get done before v1.0:
  • Re-add wands of haste/heal wounds/teleportation
  • Re-add Singularity
  • Re-add potions of restore abilities
  • Re-add book amnesia
  • Add Jiyva to temple gods
  • Re-add sheep and boulder beetles (dream sheep still have the baleful baaas and sticky flame interaction, so I just need to make sure it applies to both types of sheep)

Other stuff on the to-do list that may or may not get done before v1.0:
  • Re-add rods (still need to figure out what to do with the rods converted to wands, as well as how to bring them back)
  • Re-add Pakellas (still needs design fixing due to stacked wands and how rods are reimplemented)
  • Rework or remove Malmutate from monster spell lists (I've got an idea for neqoxecs/cacodemons/orbs of fire, but I still need a good plan for shining eyes)
  • Implement Hellcrawl permanent buff system (hellmonk left details about the system on the wiki, so I just need a design for the scope of what spells are affected/how the spell is changed to fit the system)
  • Rework Hell effects (I still need to look into what regret-index previously created)
  • Implement Virulence spell (still need spell level/power cap/spell schools, whether the effect is only -rPois or -all reisistances)
  • Re-add hammers for Crazy Yiuf (again, this one is probably simple but I just need to look into how complex adding a weapon type is)

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Hellcrawl has its own GitHub, you probably don't need to :thunk: at his system notes on the wiki then write it yourself

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Archenteron posted:

Hellcrawl has its own GitHub, you probably don't need to :thunk: at his system notes on the wiki then write it yourself

I know it has it's own GitHub, but I mainly needed to look into it and find if there were any underlying changes (like optimizations or bug fixes) in the original DCSS repo from when Hellcrawl forked in the related systems. However, from the sound of what hellmonk described, it shouldn't be too hard to pull over so I just need to know what spells specifically need to get changed.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Whatever happens to other monsters, it’s fine to leave orbs of fire with malmutate since they’re basically the last or next-to-last things you fight. Giving you a bunch of a battle scars that complicate your orb run and impress people reading your final log file is basically their purpose.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

leave [...] malmutate

no

alternatively,

Ferrinus posted:

leave, malmutate!

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Works on contingency?

No, money down!

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Zaodai posted:

Works on contingency?

No, money down!

Lol

I'm excited for more more versions of dungeon crawl. Thanks flood and thanks to anyone else. Happy new year

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Speaking of Crawl. (Mainline, not gooncrawl.)

LRD's range no longer randomly increases based on whether it vaporizes the target.
Shatter's damage range is more standardized (it does 1, 3 or 6 dice depending on whether you resist, are normally affected, or are vulnerable to shatter effects; this means you can hit ghosts with it now, though not very well, as incorporeal aren't special-cased for 0 dice).

There are also a lot (and I mean a lot) of tile updates. Specifically:

Altars: TSO (more T-shaped and less cross-shaped, as the wings are up higher and are broader)

Creatures: anaconda, killer bee, queen ant, queen bee, soldier ant, vampire mosquito, water moccasin, worker ant, entropy weaver, cacodaemon, efreet, hell beast, hellion, ice fiend, soul eater, treant, boggart, kobold demonologist, orc high priest, orc priest, orc sorcerer, ushtabi, greater mummy, guardian mummy, (regular) mummy, mummy priest, wight, a bunch of generic skeletal/zombified monsters, every elf including Dowan, Duvessa and Fannar, Bai Suizhen (both tiles), Erica, Frances, Gastronok, Harold, Khufu, Margery, Maurice, Menkuare, and St. Roka

Artifacts: Bunch of randart tiles, fustibali (base, ego and randart), slings (base, ego and randart), Wyrmbane, the staff of Wucad Mu, the Majin-Bo, and Leech

So enjoy your slightly better-looking game, I guess?

edit: typoes + missed a monster

Prism fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jan 2, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Floodkiller, you're doing Zin's work my man, I can't wait to try the first official release of GoonCrawl.

I love tile updates too, looking forward to seeing them all... just not in Stone Soup.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

• You can tear up books again to perform a self-lobotomy.
  • I broke everything trying to put the three yellow wands back in, so I'm still troubleshooting all the issues until things stop crashing.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Wand of Ragequit confirmed for 1.0?

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Quitting should do something flavour-y.

"Xom grabs you with a hook and pulls you out of the dungeon while all the other Gods alternately boo and chant 'you suck'"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Wands of hasting are now working! Wands of teleportation are still buggy (currently can only Teleport Other, so I need to put in a logic fix somewhere), wands of heal wounds are still wands of CTD.

E:VVV I already opened a pull request for it, it's just sitting until after the tournament due to feature freeze.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 2, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Floodkiller posted:

[*]Rations will now give a random food flavor when eaten. Pick out the good stuff like the pizza and fruit and throw the rest of the ration away; nobody likes the veggie omelette ration packs anyway.

Are you submitting stuff like this too the main game too? I don't see why the devs would object to you making a change that preserves some of the game's flavor while still incorporating whatever gameplay mechanics they desire.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Inspired by Gooncrawl, I'm writing down ideas/pseudo-code for various crab-related ideas to attempt to code and then either throw at Floodkiller and/or Hellcrawl

Here's a general poll/survey/sounding-board of my crab race thoughts which I will refine based on popular thought and then do nothing because goonproject attempt work on.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Wights look considerably worse now, neutral on worker ants, orc priests are hecka rad, haven't seen any of the others.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only new tile I don't like is the cacodemon. They should always be dumb fat bastards.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Archenteron posted:

Inspired by Gooncrawl, I'm writing down ideas/pseudo-code for various crab-related ideas to attempt to code and then either throw at Floodkiller and/or Hellcrawl

Here's a general poll/survey/sounding-board of my crab race thoughts which I will refine based on popular thought and then do nothing because goonproject attempt work on.

You missed my preferred method but it's okay because it's got write-in parts

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Archenteron posted:

I contributed votes and my one lovely crab pun idea. Go, crab crawl scuttle!

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

The only new tile I don't like is the cacodemon. They should always be dumb fat bastards.

Definitely agree with this on principle

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Prism posted:

Altars: TSO ( less cross-shaped)

lol

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Prism posted:

LRD's range no longer randomly increases based on whether it vaporizes the target.

This is the best change. I hit myself with LRD far too often because I'm too lazy to walk until I have a reliable position.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I wrote in that crabs should move faster when going sideways

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Wands of hasting are now working! Wands of teleportation are still buggy (currently can only Teleport Other, so I need to put in a logic fix somewhere), wands of heal wounds are still wands of CTD.

Okay, I'm a garbage coder because I've been stumped on getting tele and heal wounds wands back in and working. This is partly due to the back-end for wands being revamped since the wands were removed, which is leading to a collision somewhere in the monster wand use code (which didn't go away even after I stopped allowing monsters to use them and reworked the code to only work for players). I have no clue why hasting works perfectly fine and the others don't. If someone else wants to take a look at trying to re-add them, feel free since I don't want to waste more time on it at the moment. Instead, I'm just going to cheat and bring them back as xp-evokers with a little extra thrown in:
  • Wands of teleportation become shards of Zot, which you can evoke to teleport yourself in addition to attempting to Teleport Other every other monster in sight (power scales based on your Evocations). Comes with top-tier quality tiles.
  • I still need to think of something for wand of heal wounds. Simple one might just be a single evo-scaled heal but I'm wondering if that's potentially too much available healing, even compared to heal wounds+recharging. Another could be making it a large heal that also lethally poisons (reducing the amount of poisoning by evo)? Feel free to toss out ideas.
I'll put a wand of heal wounds evocable together tomorrow after work. However, if nobody likes this idea I can take them back out and just leave fixing wands of heal wound/teleportation for a later version (or wait until a PR comes in for it).

E:VVV I'll keep hasting a wand at the moment, since that one is already re-implemented and working (although it can get changed sometime after v1.0).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jan 3, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Recharging evokables sounds great for tele and haste imo. A bit weird for heal wounds though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really like the evocables idea
make wand of hasting a brief time-stop evocable that makes time stop for like 2-3 turns and then gradually resume back towards normal speed
take out regen the spell and make heal wounds an evocable that gives you a heal + heal-over-time effect instead

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

cheetah7071 posted:

Recharging evokables sounds great for tele and haste imo. A bit weird for heal wounds though.

If by 'recharging' you mean 'recharging with XP', this encourages you to pick up every tele/heal evokable you run across, and also runs into problems of being usable once every now and then - something that's often not actually that great except for the hasting effect. This is a Bad Idea.

Tollymain posted:

make wand of hasting a brief time-stop evocable that makes time stop for like 2-3 turns and then gradually resume back towards normal speed.

While neat, that's completed busted.

Tollymain posted:

take out regen the spell and make heal wounds an evocable that gives you a heal + heal-over-time effect instead

The spell Regen and a wand of Heal Wounds solve different problems for different characters at different times. Taking out the spell makes no sense.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

If by 'recharging' you mean 'recharging with XP', this encourages you to pick up every tele/heal evokable you run across, and also runs into problems of being usable once every now and then - something that's often not actually that great except for the hasting effect. This is a Bad Idea.

While neat, that's completed busted.

The spell Regen and a wand of Heal Wounds solve different problems for different characters at different times. Taking out the spell makes no sense.

I meant recharging with the same mechanic as phial of floods and such. Getting an extra teleport or haste every four or five fights seems fine to me?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

cheetah7071 posted:

I wrote in that crabs should move faster when going sideways

Why are we just considering one crab species?

Hermit Crab - must wear body armor, starts off wearing leather, as player levels up can wear higher levels of armor with no or greatly reduced encumbrance, eventually can only wear plate mail or dragon scales, special bonuses for maxwell's, lear's, and OCP
Fiddler Crab - has fighting claw that starts out equivalent to a flail with +5 SH, as player levels up eventually becomes as good as GSC with SH increasing as well - can still use offhand for attack or shield
Soft-Shell Crab - -AC, +EV, no other special abilities but produces delicious meat when killed as monster
Japenese Spider Crab - octopode armor slots, extra AC as levels, at XL 13 gives all weapons or unarmed Reaching

Maybe at XL7 you find out your species ala draconians?

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

Araganzar posted:

Why are we just considering one crab species?

Hermit Crab - must wear body armor, starts off wearing leather, as player levels up can wear higher levels of armor with no or greatly reduced encumbrance, eventually can only wear plate mail or dragon scales, special bonuses for maxwell's, lear's, and OCP
Fiddler Crab - has fighting claw that starts out equivalent to a flail with +5 SH, as player levels up eventually becomes as good as GSC with SH increasing as well - can still use offhand for attack or shield
Soft-Shell Crab - -AC, +EV, no other special abilities but produces delicious meat when killed as monster
Japenese Spider Crab - octopode armor slots, extra AC as levels, at XL 13 gives all weapons or unarmed Reaching

Maybe at XL7 you find out your species ala draconians?
Check the survey my friend because we are on similar wavelengths.

Also my original original Crab thought was the fast sidestep but then you have to calculate forward to determine sideways, which can change on every step or attack, and then recalculate what directions are sideways based on that, and it just becomes too much code for too small of a gimmick, unfortunately

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm not even putting thought into the crab species because it feels like too much of a joke (if you do develop it into something worthwhile though I'll be fine with it). However I will say if you are designing another evolution species, I think it should be one where you get to choose how you evolve. Right now we have two species with evolution traits; demonspawn and draconians. Both of them evolve in entirely random ways outside the players control. I think there's room for a species that evolves in a way directly controlled by the player. If evolution is controlled by the player, then it should probably happen gradually rather than all at once; it will make it feel like more of a character building process. I dunno how you'd work that into the ridiculous crab theme but that's my thoughts on there being another evolving species.

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm not even putting thought into the crab species because it feels like too much of a joke (if you do develop it into something worthwhile though I'll be fine with it). However I will say if you are designing another evolution species, I think it should be one where you get to choose how you evolve. Right now we have two species with evolution traits; demonspawn and draconians. Both of them evolve in entirely random ways outside the players control. I think there's room for a species that evolves in a way directly controlled by the player. If evolution is controlled by the player, then it should probably happen gradually rather than all at once; it will make it feel like more of a character building process. I dunno how you'd work that into the ridiculous crab theme but that's my thoughts on there being another evolving species.

Oooh good idea. I don't care about the crab theme but the notion of picking muts as the game advances seems good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I love that Shard of Zot idea. A lot.

Can we have more good evokables again!

• Locked thread