Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Araganzar posted:

Started a Nem Choice GrEn and found this shop on D3:
code:
Welcome to Jafeopp's Magic Scroll Shoppe! What would you like to do?
 a $   33 gold   a scroll of remove curse
 b $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 c $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 d $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 e $   33 gold   a scroll of teleportation
 f $   82 gold   a scroll of blinking (unknown)
 g $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
 h $  104 gold   a scroll of recharging (unknown)
i $   82 gold   a scroll of enchant weapon (unknown)
Worth it to get these and use them on a +0 (edit: +5) short sword of elec?

Not really worth it. On a short sword of elec, most of the damage will come from the brand. Heavily enchanting a weapon you will only be using for a relatively short amount of time isn't a great idea. You're better off coming back later to buy the enchant scrolls.

The blinking and teleport scrolls should of been your first priority to ensure you actually survive long enough to find a weapon worth enchanting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

yo, throw me in, coach - I will be salty.

about ogres!!!

Alright, you're in, and that's slow and salty filled!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found the new salt dimension what kind of hosed up poo poo am I in for.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Not really worth it. On a short sword of elec, most of the damage will come from the brand. Heavily enchanting a weapon you will only be using for a relatively short amount of time isn't a great idea. You're better off coming back later to buy the enchant scrolls.

The blinking and teleport scrolls should of been your first priority to ensure you actually survive long enough to find a weapon worth enchanting.

Naturally the blink scroll was my first purchase. I haven't bought the EW scrolls but I should have. I'm a short blades stabber with a hex hep pet and invis, SS of elec is amazing. I'm still using it in Spider.

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found the new salt dimension what kind of hosed up poo poo am I in for.

It's a tough portal. Watch out for elec attacks, look out for the guys who cast shadow creatures and then can blow up their summons, be super careful around the guardian serpents and convokers who can put half the zone on top of you. Also the guys who might the saltlings.

Actually, you need to look out for just about everything. You might not want to go in if you're not super tuff.

edit:
code:
Found a scroll of blinking.
_Found a scroll of blinking.
_A - 5 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)
_Found a stone staircase leading down.
_You found a web!
_A - 6 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)
_You found a web!
_You found a web!
_Found a scroll of blinking and 10 gold pieces.
_Found a scroll of amnesia.
_Found a stone staircase leading down.
_A - 7 scrolls of blinking {!r} (gained 1)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 6, 2016

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I'm going to add something else to my ever growing list of things I wish they would bring back:

I want to be able to destroy books for amnesia purposes again. I don't tend to run out of the scrolls on my casters, it is just more missing the flavor part of it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I wish that had not been removed, also. It gave you a reason to use that 2nd Book of Air you found. It also made it easier to use spells you didn't intend to keep all game. It was a cool little addition, I know we need to prune, I think sometimes we trim too close to the branch.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Araganzar posted:

It's a tough portal. Watch out for elec attacks, look out for the guys who cast shadow creatures and then can blow up their summons, be super careful around the guardian serpents and convokers who can put half the zone on top of you. Also the guys who might the saltlings.

Actually, you need to look out for just about everything. You might not want to go in if you're not super tuff.

I don't feel too tough :ohdear:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

World Famous W posted:

I'm going to add something else to my ever growing list of things I wish they would bring back:

I want to be able to destroy books for amnesia purposes again. I don't tend to run out of the scrolls on my casters, it is just more missing the flavor part of it.

Araganzar posted:

I wish that had not been removed, also. It gave you a reason to use that 2nd Book of Air you found. It also made it easier to use spells you didn't intend to keep all game. It was a cool little addition, I know we need to prune, I think sometimes we trim too close to the branch.

I get where you guys are coming from, but I stand by what I said at the time:

quote:

One of crawl's most secret features, book amnesia allowed you to
destroy a book to forget one of its spells. In principle this is a
cool tradeoff (do you want to give up the option of ever learning
any of the spells in the book?), but it's rarely relevant in
practice (even for players who know about it!), and if it were
relevant, good play would involve a complex optimization game,
cross-referencing available books and the spells within. Which does
not seem especially fun to get dragged into midway through a
perfectly good game of DCSS.

Flavor is nice, uses for duplicate books are nice, but book amnesia wasn't a great way to achieve either.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I don't feel too tough :ohdear:

Why on earth are you wearing +1 chain.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Found literally nothing better.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I ran into two rooms with 3 electric eels in them on like D 5 or 6. I just left them alone. How would I tackle this as a regular ol fighter guy. Shoot them with ranged stuff? Wait for relec?

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Goodpancakes posted:

I ran into two rooms with 3 electric eels in them on like D 5 or 6. I just left them alone. How would I tackle this as a regular ol fighter guy. Shoot them with ranged stuff? Wait for relec?

Ignore them or bring wands of flame. Scalding steam deals with them pretty well. Try to avoid putting a wall behind you so they can't bounce bolts off it and zap you twice per shot.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Goodpancakes posted:

You did exactly as you were supposed to. Get your revenge during the orb run if you really wanna show em.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Poison needles, polymorph.

dpeg
Jul 18, 2008
As far as I see it, you should never go to SA to look out for useful feedback or even interesting ideas; I certainly don't
First win for team NEMELEX! (Fun fact: I've tried to get rid of Nemelex, and failed.)

Necessarily an OpWr. First serious attempt was with Chei, killed by stupidity. Our captain lost a 3-runing Hep OpWr in the Abyss, that hurts. I then gave in and followed Gozag, as it should be. The stars aligned: first shop found on D:5 was jewellery, and the two shops I bought were jewellery, too. Went with UC, trained a bit of Hexes and Fire (only up to Sticky Flame), later killed in Statue Form with ponderous hat. Switched from +6 amulet of reflection (with SH 29) to {Spirit Fragile rElec rPois MP+9}, that was an interesting choice. Thorougly overbribed Zot, and it was good.

PleasingFungus posted:

I get where you guys are coming from [on book amnesia], but I stand by what I said at the time[/url]:

Flavor is nice, uses for duplicate books are nice, but book amnesia wasn't a great way to achieve either.
I invented book amnesia, so I'm completely biased, but I think the flavour is excellent: you're ripping pages out of a book, what's not to like?

Down to one destructional book use (Trog), gotta find me another one.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I've always thought the solution to lesser known game mechanics would be better documentation/descriptions rather than removing them outright, but what do I know

(answer: p much nothing)

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

I get where you guys are coming from, but I stand by what I said at the time:

What about book-casting? Burn the book to cast one spell from it. Could be limited by spell skills/regular failure chance,so it'd be a no-mana panic button.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

dpeg posted:

I invented book amnesia, so I'm completely biased, but I think the flavour is excellent: you're ripping pages out of a book, what's not to like?

Down to one destructional book use (Trog), gotta find me another one.

It was quite useful for one of the two main caster gods (Vehumet). Spell gifts that time out meant ever keeping spell levels in reserve or placing an insane prioritization on SC. Quite a common situation actually: I'm playing VM, say, I got flame tongue from Veh and I am pushing fire. I want to get Venom Bolt but I don't want to lose a good fire spell. With book ripping, I have a free amnesia of that spell since I want to keep all the others.

Same thing without Vehumet to a lesser degree - in that case it's why not go ahead and mem a lesser-used spell since I can amnesia it without losing a scroll? Or say I find book of flame, I wasn't going to go fire but what the hell, I can mem sticky flame or fireball because I can use the book it came in to un-mem it. Without this mechanic, I leave it on the floor. One of the main joys of this game is picking up things off the floor and using them.

To me, this is a strong argument both for relevance/usefulness. It also encourages branching out, using less "optimal" spells, trying ones you wouldn't ordinarily cast. It's a real bummer to play a caster sometimes when you feel like you have to save levels for "core" spells since you have no innate ones. With this mechanic, I try a lot of new spells, my game has more variety, and I when I find a new book I am encouraged to memorize a spell I have room for rather than feeling frustrated.

The flavor on the mechanic is also wonderful. The problem was it was buried alive. How about exhuming it with a spell list option or notation or something?

DATS MY ARGUMENT DEAL WITH IT EMOTICON OF OGRE PUTTING ON SHADES

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Araganzar posted:

It was quite useful for one of the two main caster gods (Vehumet). Spell gifts that time out meant ever keeping spell levels in reserve or placing an insane prioritization on SC. Quite a common situation actually: I'm playing VM, say, I got flame tongue from Veh and I am pushing fire. I want to get Venom Bolt but I don't want to lose a good fire spell. With book ripping, I have a free amnesia of that spell since I want to keep all the others.

Same thing without Vehumet to a lesser degree - in that case it's why not go ahead and mem a lesser-used spell since I can amnesia it without losing a scroll? Or say I find book of flame, I wasn't going to go fire but what the hell, I can mem sticky flame or fireball because I can use the book it came in to un-mem it. Without this mechanic, I leave it on the floor. One of the main joys of this game is picking up things off the floor and using them.

To me, this is a strong argument both for relevance/usefulness. It also encourages branching out, using less "optimal" spells, trying ones you wouldn't ordinarily cast. It's a real bummer to play a caster sometimes when you feel like you have to save levels for "core" spells since you have no innate ones. With this mechanic, I try a lot of new spells, my game has more variety, and I when I find a new book I am encouraged to memorize a spell I have room for rather than feeling frustrated.

The flavor on the mechanic is also wonderful. The problem was it was buried alive. How about exhuming it with a spell list option or notation or something?

DATS MY ARGUMENT DEAL WITH IT EMOTICON OF OGRE PUTTING ON SHADES

In the utopian alternate reality in which crawl features are voted on by SA posters, resulting in an amazing game absolute poo poo show, this feature has my vote.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

I agree with this - even including some of the ones in starting books, I'm a bit more tempted to skip those for a more boring game now.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Room for one more in City Name Crawl Team? I'm 'offering' on CAO.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

yurtcradled posted:

Room for one more in City Name Crawl Team? I'm 'offering' on CAO.
Added, and now the team's full!

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Shh baby, no more thrashing, sleep now

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Okawaru was given me pretty bad gifts this game but this is just plain rude :(

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

AbortRetryFail posted:

My best-worst Oka gift so far:

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

dpeg posted:

First win for team NEMELEX! (Fun fact: I've tried to get rid of Nemelex, and failed.)

Wooo!

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

Zodack posted:

My best-worst Oka gift so far:

Seems pretty sweet to me.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For the purpose of building piety, does Uskayaw consider kills by allies to be worth as much or counted at all?

Also what happens if a formicid with innate clarity casts borg's while in death's door?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

AbortRetryFail posted:

Well, dcss is Australian, after all :v:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Just got my obligatory MiBe win so I can resume splatting casters in vain. Got a +11 demon blade "Ibrintuo" {vamp, Str+3} on Orc 1 and basically tab-o the rest of the game, even though I got abyssed twice, this was the easiest game I've ever had.

One interesting thing I saw was that in Zot 5, both entrances to the lungs were 1-wide and had a zot trap. I didn't know what to do, eventually I just stepped on to it. Nothing serious happened on the way in, but I got abyssed on the way out with the Orb, came out of the abyss on the wrong side of the trap and stepped on it a third time, this time with no ill effects. Is this something new that happens by design? What are ways around this (other than teleporting)?

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

For the purpose of building piety, does Uskayaw consider kills by allies to be worth as much or counted at all?

Also what happens if a formicid with innate clarity casts borg's while in death's door?

If you have clarity and stasis you resist both debuffs and suffer no other special consequences.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

AbortRetryFail posted:

Be careful, that weapon randomly spawns hostile centipedes.

Unimpressed posted:

Just got my obligatory MiBe win so I can resume splatting casters in vain. Got a +11 demon blade "Ibrintuo" {vamp, Str+3} on Orc 1 and basically tab-o the rest of the game, even though I got abyssed twice, this was the easiest game I've ever had.

A crawl tip from my latest tourney game: even when you have a great main weapon it's good to have a backup:

Unimpressed posted:

One interesting thing I saw was that in Zot 5, both entrances to the lungs were 1-wide and had a zot trap. I didn't know what to do, eventually I just stepped on to it. Nothing serious happened on the way in, but I got abyssed on the way out with the Orb, came out of the abyss on the wrong side of the trap and stepped on it a third time, this time with no ill effects. Is this something new that happens by design? What are ways around this (other than teleporting)?

Blinking, until recently passage, hep swap. It's possible to have permanent tport traps on both lung entrances and god help you if you don't have -Tele.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Araganzar posted:

Blinking, until recently passage, hep swap. It's possible to have permanent tport traps on both lung entrances and god help you if you don't have -Tele.

With the addition of beckoning, teleport traps in zot5 can actually be a strategic boon. Stand so you have a 1-tile gap open and beckon the things past the trap. Any third wheels get warped away by the trap so it's a lot easier to ditch if things look ugly and you can pick out all the unpleasant fireballs and lichs before assaulting the lungs.

Double Zot trap is just nasty though.

e: It probably wouldn't hurt to make beckoning level 4 or 5. I know it already got nerfed to where it's basically impossible to max out the range in a real game, but it's still really good for a level 3 spell.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Darox posted:

but it's still really good for a level 3 spell.

This isn't a problem in my eyes, especially given its other limitations. Some other level 2-3 spells: Swiftness, Regeneration, Spectral Weapon, Blink, Repel Missiles, Mephitic Cloud, Tukima's Dance...

Lesser Beckoning is right about that power/usefulness level, and it adds some new tactical options to the game beyond the immediately obvious of "pull what you want to kill".

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

You need to edit your rc so you get counted on the team

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
mrwillsauce, you still need to add
code:
# TEAMCAPTAIN taqueso
to the very first line of your RC File.

Princey
Mar 22, 2013
Somebody recommend me some combos to play. I'm home sick and I want to exacerbate my illness by frustrating myself with Crawl.

Options:

1. Easiest combos to win other than melee fightmans. I've only ever won melee fightmans, it would be nice to do something else.
2. Combos that are just loving fun to play, even if questionably viable.
3. Gods that are cool and fun and new or underused, and combos that synergize well with them.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
1) DECj of Sif or Veh

2) TrMo trying to get casting online

3) New gods are Hep, Uka, and partially reformed Sif.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Princey posted:

Somebody recommend me some combos to play. I'm home sick and I want to exacerbate my illness by frustrating myself with Crawl.

Options:

1. Easiest combos to win other than melee fightmans. I've only ever won melee fightmans, it would be nice to do something else.
2. Combos that are just loving fun to play, even if questionably viable.
3. Gods that are cool and fun and new or underused, and combos that synergize well with them.

DsFE and MfIE are a big change of pace from the usual Fi/Gl, but can still pick up good fighting skills to round themselves out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
For anyone who wants in on the tourney action but was too late for the teams earlier in the thread, I present a team with me at the helm. Note: I have never ascended or even made it to the orb before. :gibs:

code:
Okawaru and the Tabmasters

1. Kitfox88

#TEAMCAPTAIN Uller88

• Locked thread