Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Goodpancakes posted:

Is there ghost statistics somewhere in the tournament? Whose ghost has murdered the most, ect? Did they take that out to stop lvl 27s suicides on D:1-5

kind of 'hidden' -- you can only find it from the "Wins and Kills" tab: http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/gkills.html

Also top killers: http://dobrazupa.org/tournament/0.19/killers.html Player ghosts have 799 kills as of this post for 3.89% of all deaths

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
So what are decent break points for Fighting and Dodge? Weapon types until speed cap is easy enough, same with shields until you remove the penalty and armor is much the same, but Fighting and Dodge don't seem to have any obvious break points. My only win so far involved a MiFi finding a scroll of acquisition on D-2 that gave me a super busted demon whip that I rode to victory and I'm pretty sure sub-optimal skilling is involved in that(As well as the urge to horribly mutate all my characters, but that seems to be a common affliction).

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
The breakpoint is the amount of XP it takes to get another level of Dodging and after a certain point it probably isn't worth pouring that much XP into something that might not even get you another point of EV, compared to putting that XP into another skill that will improve your durability much more tangibly.

That is to say, there's no real breakpoint, and it's just a sort of gamefeel you pick up after enough experience with the game along with paying attention to your skill costs.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Wait what are the Armor breakpoints?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Fhqwhgads posted:

Wait what are the Armor breakpoints?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SgY-b12lecR1EHb7uopTqFP0E3FDr5_MsTHrwA0Z5MY/edit#gid=1843292358 for the penalties. Armor does give you roughly 4.5% more AC per level though, so it is usually good raise above that point though, especially if you're using one of the lighter armors.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
I've never seen this before!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Wow gently caress YOU evolution:
code:
You feel a genetic drift.
 Your vision blurs. Nature stops experimenting on you.
edit:

odiv posted:

Is there a way to find out how many Heal Wounds potions have generated in my current game. Because either I'm guzzling them like no tomorrow or hardly any have shown up at all.

I want to find out if I'm justified in complaining or I'm just being a whiner.

You're just a whiner.
code:
You begin reading the scroll. You continue reading the scroll.
 As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
_e - a potion of heal wounds
I've cleared Lair, finished D, and about to start on Orc. (edit: I mean I do have LCS online in Orc...)

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Nov 8, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Araganzar posted:

Wow gently caress YOU evolution:
code:
You feel a genetic drift.
 Your vision blurs. Nature stops experimenting on you.
Don't worry, failures die fast.

Can Of Worms fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 8, 2016

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Brannock posted:

The breakpoint is the amount of XP it takes to get another level of Dodging and after a certain point it probably isn't worth pouring that much XP into something that might not even get you another point of EV, compared to putting that XP into another skill that will improve your durability much more tangibly.

That is to say, there's no real breakpoint, and it's just a sort of gamefeel you pick up after enough experience with the game along with paying attention to your skill costs.

AKA: level killdudes skill -> level don'tgetkilledbydudes skill -> rinse/repeat as needed

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Darox posted:

Ever since wasps and hornets got merged I have felt that hornets are kinda loving bullshit death machines for the levels they can spawn on. Especially that one food vault where you can autoexplore into melee range with two of them.
Just make sure wands as a group are on auto pickup, then add exceptions for every type of wand you don't care about. The only downside is you won't pick up a copy of a wand if a monster IDs it for you, which is a minor niggle if you want one wand of flame for eels or similar. You can also do the same thing for staffs, set the staff group as auto pickup then exclude "staff of" so you only pick up unIDed ones.

e: I've done this for my rc and the relevant part looks like this:

autopickup = |$?!:"/%

ae := autopickup_exceptions
ae += <throwing net
ae += >staff of
ae += >wand of (confusion|polymorph|flame|iceblast|slowing|magic darts|random effects|enslavement|paralysis|lightning|teleport)
ae += >ring of (ice|cold|fire|stealth|positive energy|magical power)

Thanks!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can we go back to flayed ghosts being a joke because they are rapidly climbing up my most loathed enemy list.

EDIT: WHY IS THIS STILL A THING I THOUGHT IT WAS REMOVED FINALLY :argh:

quote:

You feel a terrible foreboding...
You are heavily infused with residual magic.

Red glow just for being in hell. Use all my cancellation potions and get blurry vision. Thanks Crawl! :thumbsup:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Nov 9, 2016

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You think that's bad... I got 6 (six) scrolls of acquirement before any branch ends. I can't wear all this poo poo at the same time!

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I wish I had 27 hands so I could flip 27 birds to the 27 head hydra in shoals.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Mirror

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Venom, maybe?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Do I need dragon form here or do I keep statue punching everything?

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Ascended a demigod! :toot: First attempt died in Snake:4 to a teleroulette, and then I had to ghostbust myself when I got the same branches in my second serious attempt. I was running around with rC-- thanks two two rings of fire and a robe of Archmagi to buff my spellpower to max, which was extremely funny. I got the Snake:4 ending that places two staircases in the middle of a bunch of guardian serpents, so I just repeatedly fireballed myself whenever they blinked monsters to me. Switched to a +8 Int (!!!) chain mail in the endgame once I had enough strength to wear it.

code:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.19.0-11-g3fc08b3 (webtiles) character file.

1392057 wormsofcant the Devastator (level 27, 212/216 HPs)
             Began as a Demigod Fire Elementalist on Nov 7, 2016.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Nov 8, 2016!

The game lasted 06:54:44 (123808 turns).

wormsofcant the Devastator (DgFE)                 Turns: 123808, Time: 06:54:45

Health: 212/216    AC: 31    Str: 21    XL:     27
Magic:  35/54      EV: 15    Int: 42    God:    
Gold:   121        SH:  7    Dex: 13    Spells: 14 memorised, 5 levels left

rFire  + . .      SeeInvis .    a - +12 rapier "Axenel" {elec, rElec}
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    r - +7 chain mail of Resilience {Int+8 Dex+2 Stlth-, !@}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    M - +2 buckler
rPois  +          Spirit   .    i - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Reflect  .    P - +2 cloak {rPois}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    B - +3 pair of gauntlets of War {Slay+5}
MR     +++..                    w - +1 pair of boots "Forget-Me-Not" {rC+ rCorr Int+4 Dex-3}
Stlth  ..........               v - amulet "Cyutaat" {Regen+ Int+3}
                                G - +6 ring of strength {=R}
                                u - ring of Jyoxecs {rF+ rN+ MR+ Slay-2}

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Sultan Tarquin posted:

e: calling this for Crawl 0.20's thread title

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Fourth win ever, first in a tournament, first transmuter!

lizardhunt
Feb 7, 2010

agreed ->
We have the best teams, don't we folks?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

jerkstoresup posted:

Dream Github commit: "Sludge Elves swung the vote and reinstated Pakellas"

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
dang, wish I had room in my pack for these...
code:
 Your pack is full.
_You see here 3 scrolls labeled QANTAT UDWECIUCS.
 As you read the scroll of identify, it crumbles to dust.
_3 scrolls of acquirement
oh well...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sorry I basically haven't been contributing so far, this has been... a really unfortunate time for a tourny for me

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

Brannock posted:

CBRO is a RamNode VPS (largest Premium server: 135 GB disk space, 4 GB RAM, 4 cores) that somehow became the default American Eastern server and is being overwhelmed in this tournament. We're always welcoming of more servers. In the meanwhile CJR and CAO should work fine for most players. I'd be happy to exterminate your ghosts on CJR!

CSZO won't come back unless someone steps up to admin it. From what I understand of the situation, the problem is that person has to commit long-term to running and maintaining it; and from everything I've seen from my perspective as a dev, being a server admin is a big pain in the rear end, especially when versions are updating and tournaments are being set up.

Someone needs to accept donations

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I need some mid-late advice for HOAKs:

1. Should I bother corrupting my axe if I get a good one? Obvious extra damage or banishing is good, but blinking or teleporting an enemy seems pretty iffy.
2. When do I use my Corrupt ability? I'm thinking on branch ends so that I can try to cheese the rune and so that the guardians will fight the abyss summons.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Liberally use Corrupt but for the love of Lucy don't do it in a hallway/vault where you can't pass the demons

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Which utter bastard gave entropy weavers sInv? What an awful thing to do. I don't even understand what it hoped to achieve. Spider has a glaring vulnerability to invisibility but this doesn't really change anything there because all the other damage dealers still can't find you so you just take the usual entropy weaver strategy of running away. I don't think any spider runevaults come with weavers anyway so it's doubly ineffectual there. It makes doing zigs as melee incredibly unfeasible but I doubt that was the goal because that's really stupid.

Entropy weavers are the worst example of why the current corrosion mechanic is kinda garbage. It completely and utterly shuts down your characters offense while not actually stopping you from just escaping, and the only solution is to hide in a corner and 5 till it expires. Actually fighting an entropy weaver while there is any other enemies on the screen is the worst idea you can have. It hits you with corrosion which slows down your damage which gives it more time to corrode which reduces your damage further and repeats until you have no chance of hitting or hurting anything with your weapon. The only way to counter the corrosion is to ignore it entirely by using spells/invo/evocations.

Corrosion needs to either not give negative slaying and just focus on AC or have a charge system like corpse embrace or powered by death, with each individual stack of corrosion having its own timer. It's really dumb being worried about a yellow draconian or acid blob appearing not because it poses any real threat to you but because if it lands an acid attack it will refresh the duration of your entire corrosion stack and waste more of your time.

Corrosion: a dumb mechanic that checks your teleport consumables more than your rCorrosion

e: If you wanted to make Spider less of a pushover with invisibility you should give jumping spiders sInv again and improve spiders websense so they can spot webbed invisible targets.

On closer inspection it seems that they got sInv when their flavor was changed to formicids.
WHY

vOv posted:

1. Should I bother corrupting my axe if I get a good one? Obvious extra damage or banishing is good, but blinking or teleporting an enemy seems pretty iffy.
2. When do I use my Corrupt ability? I'm thinking on branch ends so that I can try to cheese the rune and so that the guardians will fight the abyss summons.
1: Distortion is really good. You should have a second backup axe but an axe with distortion will wreck havoc. Also, it's pretty funny to use a distortion weapon for half the game then visit abyss:1 and meet everybody again.
2: Use corrupt whenever you feel slightly threatened by a large group of enemies. Branch ends, hall of blades, any open floor with a nasty vault, everywhere. The monsters it summons pretty aggressively seek out enemy monsters to kill and mostly ignore you, they will clean out everything nearby. Just keep your distance because if the abyss monsters do end up in melee range with you they will take swings at you.

Darox fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Nov 9, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Won my TrCK, although this was ridiculous:
code:
15 caustic shrikes (Depths:4)
I encountered all of them at once. I have no idea how many packs spawned together to do that, but that was a loving neverending encounter of pain and misery.

jerkstoresup posted:

Sure do :allears:

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sorry I basically haven't been contributing so far, this has been... a really unfortunate time for a tourny for me

No big deal; the tournament's just a fun side thing anyway, not anything serious. Hope everything is okay/turns out okay for you!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
L&G I give you the Worst Jewerly Shoppe, as I found it:
code:
Welcome to Itozosh's Jewellery Shop! What would you like to do?

a -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of fire (unknown)
 b -   63 gold   a cursed ring of teleportation
 c -  557 gold   the amulet of Day {Harm *Drain Stlth+}
 d -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of ice (unknown)
e -  350 gold   an uncursed ring of fire (unknown)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I dunno, I appreciate the irony of the Amulet of Day being a sorta-ideal stabber amulet.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
code:
2272643 DevlanMud the Conqueror (level 25, 187/187 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 8, 2016.
             Was the Champion of Ru.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 4 runes on Nov 9, 2016!

The game lasted 06:53:29 (78333 turns).

DevlanMud the Conqueror (Gargoyle Fighter)         Turns: 78333, Time: 06:53:29

Health: 187/187    AC: 58    Str: 23      XL:     25
Magic:  40/40      EV: 22    Int: 12 (14) God:    Ru [******]
Gold:   7316       SH: 18    Dex: 19      Spells: 9 memorised, 21 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    b - +8 sacred scourge (holy)
rCold  + + +      Gourm    .    e - +8 fire dragon scales
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    C - +3 shield {reflect}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    t - +2 helmet
rElec  +          Reflect  +    h - +4 dragonskin cloak
rCorr  .          Harm     .    K - +2 pair of gloves of Dithmenos's Fury {rElec rF+ rC+}
MR     +++..                    F - +2 pair of boots
Stlth  ..........               m - amulet "Isolef" {MR++ Regen+ Dex+9}
                                u - ring of Zutod {+Fly rC+++ AC+1 Str+2 Stlth-}
                                S - ring of Anykk {+Fly rF+ rN++ Str-5 SInv}

@: repel missiles
A: big wings, mutation resistance 1, negative energy resistance 1, electricity
resistance, unbreathing, petrification resistance, rot immunity, no stealth,
inability to use devices, hated by all, reduced AC 1, inexperienced 1, AC +19
a: Fly, Draw Out Power, Power Leap, Apocalypse, Renounce Religion
0: Orb of Zot
}: 4/15 runes: decaying, serpentine, silver, abyssal
morgue

I feel like I probably could have done some Pan, but since my last gargoyle died like a chump in extended, and it's the tourney and all, I figured I'd just nab the orb and settle for at least one win this tourney.

As an aside, Ru is the best. All hail Ru.

Sorry for letting you all down, team FOR THOSE ABOUT TO SPLAT.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Araganzar posted:

You're just a whiner.
Well I'm gonna keep whining.

Started and finished both Lair branches. No Heal Wounds since I last posted.

Just found my first potions of Resistance and Cure Mutation, at XL20, in a shop on Elf:1.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Clearly you should've gone to Elf earlier! :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

odiv posted:

Just found my first potions of Resistance and Cure Mutation, at XL20, in a shop on Elf:1.

Unfortunately, by making it this far you've proven that those potions aren't needed.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
As a long blades user, I found the Singing Sword on D:6 and the Fencer's Gloves on D:8.

I hesitate to say this is really good, but it's certainly fun to watch enemies die while trying desperately to hit me as my sword taunts them for it. (And hey, the Singing Sword might not be fantastic, but it beats the hell out of a +0 scimitar...)

edit: And Trog just forked over a +4 demon blade of draining, so that's cool. I'm just debating which to use now though I'm leaning toward the demon blade. I have a bunch of scrolls of enchant weapon: worth bringing that up?

Double edit: Never mind.

Not dead, though! I just read-IDd branding and took a risk and it's a demon blade of venom now, so I'm not going to enchant that up.

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Nov 9, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

odiv posted:

You win but I did find a stack of 3 acquirements in an ice cave at a time I desperately needed a nice dagger or QB and I got a +0 short sword of venom +2 rapier of whogivesafuck. Third one I think I got a hammer if that's still possible.

Can't we just agree the that the code, the devs, and whatever abrogious anthropomorphic form the fundamental spirit of the game itself coalesces into hates us and wants us to suffer needlessly clawing for the few drops of heal wounds that manage to make it past their rapacious maws and fall to the ground beneath their notice?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
On one hand, this TrHu has its choice of MDA, QDA, FDA, and PDA before Vaults.

On the other hand, it's had about 3 blink scrolls all game, and used them all already.

Crawl's RNG is really swingy. You get used to it.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

edit: And Trog just forked over a +4 demon blade of draining, so that's cool. I'm just debating which to use now though I'm leaning toward the demon blade. I have a bunch of scrolls of enchant weapon: worth bringing that up?

Here is a tip with long blades and the fencer's gloves, get the biggest fuckoff sword you can find. Like a sword that poo poo in Berserk is toothpicks compared to, use that. It's all about making anyone who dares poke at you with one of their poncy little GSCs pay for it with their FACE. With the gloves you need just enough EV to be missed a couple times a round.

edit: bear in mind this is coming from the king of sneak who is currently running around with a little DENe plinking at big monsters with a little quick blade.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
quick blade of :boom: :boom: PAIN WHATTUP KIKU OR GTFO :boom: :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Araganzar posted:

Here is a tip with long blades and the fencer's gloves, get the biggest fuckoff sword you can find. Like a sword that poo poo in Berserk is toothpicks compared to, use that. It's all about making anyone who dares poke at you with one of their poncy little GSCs pay for it with their FACE. With the gloves you need just enough EV to be missed a couple times a round.

edit: bear in mind this is coming from the king of sneak who is currently running around with a little DENe plinking at big monsters with a little quick blade.

I have 19 EV and even at this point it's pretty hilarious. I actually headbutt on ripostes, too. I don't know if that's intended, but it's a nice bonus. (I assume you'd use all your aux attacks.) I can't afford to drop my shield for a two-handed weapon right now though; it's my only source of rPois.

Does the 'ENEMY looks as sick as possible!' message mean that they are now poisoned to death, or is there a cap other than that?

Prism fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 9, 2016

• Locked thread