Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
          65 worldfamousw the Gusty (level 4, -3/24 HPs)
             Began as a Tengu Air Elementalist on Jan 25, 2017.
             Killed from afar by Ijyb (26 damage)
             ... with a wand of lightning (?/15)
             ... on level 2 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:06:53 (1746 turns).
Good game, Ijyb, good game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

PMush Perfect posted:

Kraken, I think you might be the only person left in the thread who actually plays for a full 15 regularly?
I ain't been posting or playing as much as I normally do, but I am one of those who almost always goes for a full clear.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I just enjoy fighting the Pan and Hell lords and the gauntlet that is Tomb. If hell branches were shortened to just two or one levels I wouldn't mind to much.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: On the subject of Wz hybrids, who would be the closest replacement for a HEWz hybrid with Long Swords and a bunch of utility spells?
Tengu, with a focus on conjuration, summoning, air, and necromancy as your spells.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

God no. Lots of utility spells are out of the tengu's reach since they are miserable with charms, hexes, and translocations. Those were all schools the HeWz start did really well with.
What high level charms spell do you need now that Haste isn't castable? Also hexes is the second worst spell tree. :colbert:

I'll give ya' translocation though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Internet Kraken posted:

If you're planning to do all 15 runes there's no reason to do abyss before the rest of extended. Its not as dangerous as other extended branches but its very unlikely to increase your power at all. More importantly you can pick up some lovely mutations from the plethora of neqocexs that love to wander around in it.
I agree with this fully but also for one other reason: Abyss is awful and the worst branch in the game.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Don't get me wrong, Abyss ain't 'hard' as long as you don't dive past three (early banishment aside), it's that I find it as tedious as a lot of posters here seem to find Pan.

Which is weird cause I dig Pan.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Araganzar posted:

DEEP Elf Fire Elementalist of Vehumet.

Here is how you win.

Train Spellcasting, Conjurations, and Fire.

Eventually, train something else.

edit: seriously. all fighting and dodging do for you pre-Orc is take away that 1 mp, point of fireball damage, or round of conjure/sticky flame you needed to kill something...
This, but it Tengu Conjurer instead. Just focus on spellcasting and conjurations till you find a good spell book/Vehumet offers a spell you like then also start training that element v should have one of the big spells cast able before lair rune branch ends.

Just remember to use your flying to kite threats.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
While I agree that DEs make a more powerful caster, Tengus are better survivors. The innate move speed bonus while flying allows them to kite far more efficiently then a DE, one of the most important skills for a blaster caster. Also having +3 in conjuration ain't nothing to sneeze at.

Plus they ain't an elf and that is the biggest bonus of all.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I do till I find a +4-6 reflection or Faith depending on god.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
TeCj of Vehumet or old OgBe who switches to TSO for extended.

Edit: forgot why. I done said enough on TeCj so I will skip that one. Before recent trunk Ogre changes I loved the idea of a giant blood bag who survives by being the biggest and the loudest while swinging a big stick. Since the apt changes I just can't seem to make one stick, even when trying to take advantage of their new caster hybridness. Give Ogres good mace apts again already!

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 7, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

SKULL.GIF posted:

What do you find to be obfuscated about combat?
Honestly, and I know it is a deliberate choice and not likely to change, but I would love for it to say how much damage was dealt. I know the descriptor and number of exclamations indicate that but I only know that because I been playing for years.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

fool_of_sound posted:

e: If you want to remove bloated evocables, cut back on decks imo.
I know others have addressed this with real answers but decks need to remain for one other reason: World of Warcraft would have to remove the Deck of Nemelex novelty item.

Unless they already did, ain't really played it serous in a long time.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Maybe we'd just show chance-to-hit instead, but that's kind of an abstract number itself, and players already get frustrated with the chance-to-succeed that we display for hexes.
I like this. The percentage being added to hexes was a great change awhile back.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Feb 7, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hey, SKULL.GIF, I've said this to every other developer that will foolishly listen to me so I may as well to you as well.

Bring back the Crown of Eternal Torment!

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I have an XL 14 OgTm with Dragon Form at <10% cast failure. I feel invincible and will die to hubris.

VVVV :doh:

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 8, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
And Hubris.

Spiders and their entropy weavers have slain the Oragon.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Joining the 'aughs' on the Battlesphere replacement.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Not... fight uniques? What madness is this?! I am here for glory and conquest, not running like some sniveling coward! Next you will tell me I should ignore player ghosts and that killing the Pan and Hell lords is foolish!

My win rate has not been so good recently.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Going to ask a question I been wondering for awhile now. Is there any specific reason that Tengu flight (before it becomes permanent at clvl 14) is not able to be turned off? It tends to annoy me that I can't stop it to refresh it's duration after battle or when faced with a big body of water.

Hell, it don't even make sense a bird-person wouldn't know how to land.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Feb 9, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Found a bug. Using Poisonous Vapours on a neutral creature will not cause them to become aggressive.

Character Dump

code:
 You feel a surge of power!
 Poisonous vapours surround the freed slave!
 * * * LOW MAGIC WARNING * * *
 The freed slave is engulfed in poison gas.
_The freed slave is poisoned.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Araganzar posted:

That bug has been around for a while, doesn't get reported because no one wants to admit they are an evil bastard who would poison a freed slave...
Well I wouldn't if they would act like pacified creatures and make for the exit instead of wandering around taking my EXP. Kirke's crew suffers the same fate.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Social Studies 3rd Period posted:

Can I get your honest thought re: teleportitis?

Like, I can more or less work around a lot/most other bad muts. But teleportitis at least feels like a gently caress you, especially if it's in a 'poo poo, what was I supposed to do there?' situation. (And I hate saying 'there was nothing I could have done!!')

Honestly, personally, I just hate Teleportitis, I think. :v:
Yeah, Teleportitis is the only bad mutation I would say lead to an unavoidable death in Zot 5. I kept trying to escape up so I could rest and it just kept pulling me back into the lungs. I burned pretty much all the consumables I had left just trying to stay alive waiting for other teleports or blinks and runs to go off just to get pulled right back in about the time I reached the stairs.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
As someone who constantly whines and complains about how pointless Poison magic is to level, I actually really like the new Poisonous Vapours spell. Smite targeted guaranteed poison is insanely good early game and just for the cost of two Stings.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

dpeg posted:

Gods like Trog and Vehumet are much more narrow, but we're fine with this because bashing things to death or shooting things to death are supposedly fun if you play Crawl.
Shotgunning things to death is also fun. As well as old disc of storming and spider bag spamming. I liked surging with non wand and rod evocables a whole lot.

IronicDongz posted:

I wouldn't call any of those unlimited in practice. Ely certainly does not give anywhere near unlimited healing, the amount of piety used by Sif's channeling means you can't always do it(also, MP is only a limited resource in the short term, unlike wand charges!) and taking a turn to channel is a much more meaningful limitation that you have to consider on a case by case basis compared to quick charge(which you never normally used in combat, unlike channeling which is a temporary buff) plus you only get spellbooks once you've gotten a whole lot of piety(and won't get that many in the course of a non-extended game), and Trog and Oka gifts are nothing at all like "unlimited weapon acquirement".

Meanwhile with Pak I never, ever ran out of wand charges-and that's basically all the god did, minus getting a rod eventually. I don't see your comparisons with any of those gods.
If Mana and Ambrosia potions were forbidden, MP becomes a non easily filling resource for Pake. With the potions though it was easy to keep refilling even in battle.

Surging was also a great ability and I constantly used it, especially on hex wands.

I don't know. I like Pakellas a whole lot and was sad to see em go. With removal of the good wands they really ain't that overpowered seeing as you are sacrificing casting for that delicious recharge. Maybe just forbid any mana restore/regen potions or effects and make recharge consume one permanent charge on a wand each time it is used?

Edit: loving phone spell check

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Feb 10, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Slight bug. Potions of Beneficial Mutation and Cure Mutation are still on the 'Items not yet recognized' list in trunk after potion merger.

Kind of liking the new Mutation potions. Not got very far yet, lets see how I feel after Pan and Abyss.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 11, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
code:
16620688 worldfamousw the Demonic Barricade (level 27, 219/241 HPs)
             Began as a Demonspawn Monk on Feb 11, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Qazlal.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 15 runes on Feb 12, 2017!

The game lasted 07:52:50 (94652 turns).
Finished a 15 runer on Trunk and played around with the new mutation potions a good bit. They are... ok.

I relied heavily on purple meat when I had a good mutation set and got malmutated. Had to cross fingers that the meat would move the bad muts and ignore the good ones. If I got real bad (teleport, berserk, two levels of scroll delay) I would just pop the potion. It basically was a full reset on the mutation set. If I got off worse just pop it again. I played most the game with decent mutations that changed out constantly and just a few bad ones. Not a horrible change.

Funnily enough I managed to get about 12 runes while keep one of my original mutations (dungeon sense) before finally losing it. It just kept getting passed up with all the rng getting thrown around.

I ended the game though as a horribly mutated bastard. By the time I was clearing Zot 5 I kind of stopped caring about malmutate and was just tab storming.

EDIT: Also the Abyss still sucks rear end, especially as a Qazlal worshiper. Looking at morgue file, I spend 11.5% of my turns in the Abyss and 15.8% of my kills were there. I spent less time and got less kills in the Dungeon's full 15 levels.

EDIT EDIT: One last thing on trunk changes (wands), holy poo poo did I miss Wand of Heal Wounds this game. I ran out of potions sometime around crossing over from the typical 5 rune game into extended and I Just. Couldn't. Find. ANY! I did all of Hell I think with maybe one. Haste was a luxury that I saved for the Lords themselves. Teleportation was fine. Scrolls of recharging were just kind of used when my digging was empty.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 12, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I would trade Nem in a heartbeat for Pakellas back.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I know Spectral Weapons aren't because I tried using it that last game I won.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I don't hate inner flame, I'm just indifferent to it, thank you very much.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Hahaha! Found a manual of Maces & Flails on clvl 11 OgBe. I will play an ogre right despite the devs best efforts!

EDIT: ...and dead to a three floor shaft.

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 14, 2017

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You can't rMut out of a DS mutation. RNG can gently caress you till late game though. You will get a 'mutation' a total of 15 (18 for monstrous) times for the complete set, so most games you will have 12 levels with no mutations. You will get all them at 27 though.

I don't play as many DS as others do, but I normally don't pick up my first tier 3 till about 18 or so.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

dpeg posted:

This is all nice and dandy, but SA etiquette demands that you at least notionally complain about removal of either "rMut or HE or Singularity (a spell you've never seen).
Hey, that ain't fair. Some of us whine constantly about returning the Crown of Eternal Torment too and we won't be ignored!

Out of curiosity, did you see my trip report from a full clear with the new wand and potions of mutation changes in trunk?

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
You been doing extended? You can burn through a huge supply of Identify just checking all the randarts you find before throwing something with Drain on or something.

Won't say I don't end with a pile of remove curse though.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Ha, not saying it doesn't throw plenty at you, just I been in a few cases were I did actually run out.

I will admit since the wand rework I am more concerned with not wasting a single healing type potion or scroll of teleport.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
It would also further cement mummies as the worst race.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Cynic Jester posted:

Considering they are already the worst race by a pretty large margin, that doesn't really seem like a reason to not remove food.
Hey, no arguments from me. Even on my Vehumet super blasters, food is never an issue, even without the tools to ignore it in the first place.

One other god that would be effected is Fedhas.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Would the devs have any interest in full floor Pan vaults based on other branches of the game? Sort of a rune Lair or whatever floor pulled whole hog into the never ending expanse of Pandemonium. Of course they would require a few old enemies made new by the chaos and evil of Pan...

(Mostly asking if a good number of new monster entries would be OK, cause I wouldn't want to make maps in that style and then just fill them with the same old demons)

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
Press '=' under the search to hide useless items.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I think you can access wizard on some of the experimental. I know you used to be able to on the the Pakellas one back when it was in experimental on cBro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
The other way to deal with Tomb 3 is Lignification, Immolation, and some sort of reliable heal. Then just muscle on through.

• Locked thread