Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Weird question, but what's going on with my scoreboard? http://crawl.akrasiac.org/scoring/players/someoneawful.html My wins since I started playing on CJR are duplicated for some reason. Artifact of playing on the best server, or...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

I've always thought the solution to lesser known game mechanics would be better documentation/descriptions rather than removing them outright, but what do I know

(answer: p much nothing)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

AbortRetryFail posted:

Okawaru was given me pretty bad gifts this game but this is just plain rude :(

Well, dcss is Australian, after all :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

the morningstar will take a lot less xp investment to get to minimum delay/skill cap, crosstrains with staves if you'd like to use an enhancer stave, and you can use a buckler/shield with it

e: i guess polearms xtrains with staves too, so maybe that's a moot point

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

EightFlyingCars posted:

Is there a good rundown of the different Hep ancestors anywhere? I'm paralyzed by choice!

here's what the knowledge bot has to say

quote:

Knight: melee companion. Starts with a flail, a shield, and bonus AC; 7 + HD/2. XL 15: Flail replaced with flaming broad axe. XL 19: Haste and shield becomes a large shield of reflect. XL 24: Weapon ego changes to speed.

Battlemage: hybrid companion. Starts with throw frost, stone arrow, a quarterstaff, and bonus melee damage: 3 + HD. XL 15: Replace Throw Frost with Bolt of Magma. XL 19: Haste and a lajatang of freezing. XL 24: stone arrow -> crystal spear.

Hexer: support companion. Starts with a dagger, Slow, and Confuse. XL 15: Slow -> Paralyse. XL 19: Replace Confuse with Mass Confusion and Haste. XL 24: dagger replaced by antimagic quickblade.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's cool, you guys. I'm Crawling for escapism myself, but you gotta do what you gotta do.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

odiv posted:

the ring of the Doge {MR+ Int+6}

I'm glad they brought the Doge name back after someone was like "oh someone made this word into a meme now, better delete it", which is a stupid reason to remove anything

Randart names are fun, and good

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I tabbed too hard and the vaults got me.

No Sanctuary? :(

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Reformed Pessimist posted:

It's been a long time since I played. Is there a reason a MiFi of Oka could not cast any spells whatsoever? Am I right in thinking Oka doesn't prevent spellcasting? I found some good spellbooks and was looking to use them but no matter what magic skills I train I still have a 100% failure rate. The only other thing I could figure is I do have an MR+ armor on, would that matter?

Oka is and has always been perfectly fine with spellcasting. The problem is low int combined with very heavy armor, which gives a massive penalty to spell success.

MR+ is magic resistance and affects enemy spells being able to affect you, not your own spellcasting. The only equip that will actually fully stop you from casting is the -Cast malus.

Trog doesn't let you use spells at all and gets super mad if you do, which you might have confused Oka with.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Yeah it will take a comedically high skill investment to cast just about anything in a CPA with MiFi level int. :v: I've gotten really low level stuff castable on a 15 runer in CPA but it was mostly because I had nothing better to put exp in at that point.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

tote up a bags posted:

YO

code:

800043 Stoats the Sniper (level 27, -18/190 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Fighter on Nov 28, 2016.
             Was the Champion of the Shining One.
             Demolished by a white very ugly thing (19 damage)
             ... while paralysed by a floating eye
             ... in Pandemonium on Nov 29, 2016.
             The game lasted 03:10:29 (75407 turns).
Floating eyes are significant even when you're stomping through Pan!
edit: Woah I was just over 3 hours, dang.

Turns out smite-targeted paralyze that doesn't check MR is pretty dangerous, huh. :rip:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Long blades are also there rarest class of weapon to show up, iirc (especially in higher qualities, like anything beyond a great sword)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i just want to say,

whoever is adding damage numbers into the xv creature tooltips is doing the lord's work, and i love you

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

^^^ grats!

As much as I am, for some unquantifiable reason, having less fun with 0.19+ (if I figure out why I'll let somebody know), the idea of going back to versions without the incredible QOL changes modern Crawl has is so depressing I could never do it

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

You are probably like me and burnt out/getting burnt out.

It's possible! But I stopped playing for after the .18 tournament until the .19 one, so :iiam:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Only as a spell iirc? The wand and potion still exist

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Dungeon Crawl Crab Chowder

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

What servers are hosting this experimental god?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I am very purple.

Someone find me some purple armor.

Is that the glave of prune? :coal:

rchandra posted:

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres and High Elves have been removed :(

A dark, dark day for crawl.

what the gently caress, high elves were like the race i played the most lately. lame

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Always wanted to play as a demonspawn and worship the faded altar for maximum random. Finally got the chance since I found it on D:2!

:regd09:

you asked for maximum random tbf

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Also aren't you less likey to pass out from berserking under trog or did I just imagine that?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Trunk actually shows how much Regen you have on your character sheet now, it's a cool and good thing

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

man, i know troves have always been Portals of Disappointment and all, but with the rod changes, evoker overhauls generally and removal of positive wands getting the Evoker Trove feels like more of a waste of time/energy than it ever has

and i get them so commonly, too :argh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

hexer is real decent, especially if you lean on invo to make idealize or whatever it's called buff your buddy's spellpower real good, but i have no idea how you could possibly call it better than battlemage, unless you're playing a stabber or something?

nb: i'm real bad at crawl. hep might be my favorite god right now though, or at least definitely up there.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It still doesn't give as much info as Brogue, the platonic ideal of not needing spoilers in a roguelike

The UI changes lately to de-obfuscate stuff have been really good though. Being able to see max damage numbers alone has made me like, twice as good of a player as I used to be.

Please work on adding damage numbers for monster spells too though! :shobon:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Let Octopodes (and cats) Wear Scarves

(i haven't actually checked that they can't, but I'm assuming.)

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Unimpressed posted:

Sure, it's a no brainer, but what is the alternative? They didn't change anything about the reason you needed to use rmsl. At the end of the day, like the vast majority of the changes, this makes the game even harder. This thread and Tavern are mostly populated by people whose biggest decision is wether or not to do extended, but I've been playing crawl for 18 months now and I've only got 5 or so wins. Guess I better git gud or keep playing MiBes for my only tourney win every six months.

this has been one of my bigger complaints with crawldev for a long time, incidentally. the UI changes and de-obfuscated info help tons but i do feel like the game itself has gotten consistently more difficult and not always in a fun way. the amount of exp you have available before lair branches feels pretty tight, like you have to know exactly what you want to do from the moment you hit ground or you won't be strong enough to survive the incoming spike in challenge, plus more difficult (and interesting, for some value of the word) monster types like smite bees and the bullshit that is entropy weavers

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Open question: what's your favorite or most fun race/class/deity combo to play and why? Not looking for objective statements, just why you personally enjoy your favorite build.
DE(caster of some sort)^Veh, because it's easy and satisfying to blow poo poo up and don't afraid of anything.

HOMo^Qaz or any god that leans heavily on invo really, doubly if i find an amulet of faith so I can just go ham on the god abilities. Gods in Crawl are really varied and fun and I enjoy being able to use the heck out of their powers and feel like a cool dude!!!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

i feel like Gods are the perfect place to have big weird unique mechanics; otoh, decks are boring and kludgy

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

why/how can giant orange brains (or whatever they got called in the de-giantization) open doors?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

also Nemelex, though who even plays Nemelex anymore honestly.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Just give pounce back to Felids

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

If spell hunger didn't exist I'd never use gourmand.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

boy bazaars sure are great you guys :v:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

it's up on CJR too, but if people start playing there it'll be a less cool server to play on :ssh:

verdict: it's fun, but i keep getting myself killed by prioritizing having fun over actually playing well. oops!

How does slow movement (naga, bara-chans) impact the attack while moving? would slow-moving races be poor choices to play council god?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

how am i supposed to deal with like 3 entropy weavers and a huge ant nest on lair:4, that's insane. and all 3 of the downstairs are clustered just south of the ant nest so i can't really escape to continue progressing

and then when i managed to sneak down the stairs, there was yet another entropy weaver :argh:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

entropy weavers can SInv though, it's really annoying. They can sinv, are fast, corrode, and have multiple attacks, and are way too hard for something i ran into 3 of on lair:4

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It is in trunk proper now. It's Fun!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It's entirely outside of the breadth/purview of what spells cover; honestly it sounds like you'd have more fun just playing Hep if you want a constant companion like that.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

:rip:

Nikola feels like a "do you have a potion of resist" check, whenever I see him. Chug one and chump him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

It was fun watching you! But seriously, my biggest tip for you is to play slower. You'll live a lot longer if you don't just run around crazily and hold down the tab button. DCSS needs tactics and what feels like a safe situation can turn dangerous in the span of a single round, which you can't really respond to if you're leaning on tab.

Also pull stuff back to halls, and don't mess with your inventory in sight of an enemy. You could totally have taken that mino if you had just used Heroism/Finesse and poked it.

• Locked thread