Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I've successfully used a bow and tornado on a high elf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

All rods were removed, and then discs of storms were replaced with lightning rods. Hence ?. While the way I said it sounds stupid, it's really an entirely new item. Basically, it's a four-charge exp-based evoker like the lamp of fire, that always hits, unlike the original first zap of the lightning rod.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

While there's all this talk of bringing back Frog Dwarfs, I went and ascended (to my honest surprise) a Deep Dwarf Earth Elementalist of Ashenzari on trunk. I went in fairly casual, planning to only try out New Sandblast and their healing. Before I realized it I ended up a bit more committed than I expected and ended up winning the thing, transitioning from vampiric short blade user to vampiric casting to rapier of electrocution petrify-stabbing all the way to crystal plate + broad axe of vampirism to finally randart storm dragon and vampiric battleaxe. Weird ride of a character, would not touch Pandemonium ever again.

Sandblast: surprisingly, satisfied. Didn't run out of stones once, kept on using the spell much longer than usual, appreciated being able to curse a weapon and still use the spell at full potential. Was only the second DDEE, so I didn't have a large sample of 'early game viability', but the buffed starting supply of stones seems to be sufficent for at least not-elf.

Healing: The ability initially has a fairly large failure rate, but it quickly drops as you level up. So it isn't OP early game, and you can use it outside of combat at least. AFAIK, when it succeeds it only has a 25% chance of draining a single point of maximum magic, so it's moderately comparable to a wand of healing. It's not any stronger than the potions as far as I can see, and it does not get stronger. You still want divine healing of some sort, though you can manage without (switching to unenchanted swamp dragon scales saved me so much vampiric tedium compared to some randart robes). I was too abusive of vampirism (even sucking the life out of petrified enemies before stabbing them) and with too little prior deep dwarf experience to give any relative opinion on the matter. It worked for me, but I still would have had more fun with Makhleb/Elyvilion, just like before.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20170106-060134.txt

Conclusion: Would try EE again, say.. a formicid or hill orc would be a breeze, Deep Elf might be a bit more troublesome. Not looking forward to playing Deep Dwarf ever again, tbh. I've never had a more miserable Pandemonium, even with my great resists at the end. If I was the kind of person to play with Elyvilon or Makhleb more, maybe I'd enjoy it?

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 6, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the reasoning behind the super low stats? I know the slow speed doesn't quite balance out the hop, but 6/6/6 is pretty drat low.

Floodkiller posted:

If anyone was testing the dog species (located here!), I want to inform you that I've pushed a dramatic change to the species (AKA ruined it):
-Aptitudes are down from +3 to +2
-Attributes are down from 7 Str/7 Int/10 Dex to 5/5/5
-XP Attribute down from 0 to -1

I did this because, after about a dozen runs (and some other feedback), the species was so overly strong early on that they were able to stockpile all of the consumables they would have used for the late game, making that nearly trivial as well despite the skill cap. They also had a problem that the late game builds were all very similar due to the balanced, decent stats, and they had pretty much every possible skill you could want maxed. The aptitude change should still leave them flexible while putting a little extra pressure on proper skilling/skill choices, while the stat and XP attribute changes should force more build variety based on background choice, and increasing the amount of consumables used in the early game so the stockpile isn't as large later on.

They may take another hit to the XP attribute (down to -2) before all is said and done, but I'm leaving it at -1 for the moment for further testing to ensure I'm not hitting them too hard.

There's nothing really for me to say. Though the orb of zot's story has me tempted to try these guys out a bit.

Edit: misread things, still gonna try out both frogs and dogs.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 6, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I ran a frog fighter of Hep. I wasn't impressed. I'm pretty sure I chose a boring combo, but I didn't feel the frog race brought anything interesting to the game. Gonna try some other combos, if anyone has any suggestions - but at the moment, I'd find high elf more interesting.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

they were in an experimental branch iirc and also were way wonkier than anything in trunk currently

ps: how would anyone feel bad about the cool rods getting changed into wands/evocable and the lame ones going away, do you really like swapping weapons all the time or something

This is already in trunk and any character worshipping Ashenzari or using a contaminated (*drain?) or vampiric weapon is in love with it. It's also much easier on hunger than rods, if you were Gozag, Spriggan, etc. Rods of lightning are still in, but as an Exp-Evoker like lamps of fire.

quote:

i get the feeling the dev team is too focused on the tournaments and top crawlers
I can understand disagreeing with the changes they make, but I have to disagree on this point. Of the 21 games I've won, five have been version 0.18 or later, eighteen have been version 0.13 or later. But that's just me. Pulling some stats from the bots tracking online games:

• (cv=0.15-a) has played 264204 games, between 2012-08-20 00:20:25 and 2016-12-02 23:45:25, won 2130 (0.8%), high score 65223715, total score 13041983955, total turns 1492898114, play-time/day 3d+9:48:07, total time 14y+227d+13:59:46.
  • (cv=0.16-a) has played 323651 games, between 2012-09-20 10:26:21 and 2016-12-03 05:20:22, won 3960 (1.2%), high score 55549874, total score 25119079651, total turns 2109959715, play-time/day 4d+14:29:36, total time 19y+136d+13:47:44.
  • (cv=0.17-a) has played 499742 games, between 2012-09-07 23:03:30 and 2016-12-28 03:02:11, won 5379 (1.1%), high score 75023051, total score 38709503901, total turns 2982284675, play-time/day 5d+22:09:46, total time 25y+198d+12:36:43.
  • (cv=0.18-a) has played 418062 games, between 2012-09-11 03:22:41 and 2017-01-06 12:19:45, won 3767 (0.9%), high score 1859332704, total score 29994796276, total turns 2653620487, play-time/day 4d+13:34:15, total time 19y+273d+20:44:07.
  • (cv=0.19-a) has played 493822 games, between 2013-02-04 01:49:02 and 2016-12-31 12:09:27, won 4647 (0.9%), high score 75249848, total score 38816205305, total turns 3031005807, play-time/day 5d+5:20:33, total time 20y+152d+16:02:54.

It looks like the win ratio has actually been decreasing, but not by any large margin. By comparison, versions 0.3 to 0.9 had a win ratio between 0.3% and 0.5%. Version 0.12 reached as high as 0.8%, and in fact 0.16 was the first version with a win rate of over 1% as far as I can track. My long playtime may be skewing my overall perspective more than some. I think I've lost some of the stats on my earliest games, but I've played 3942 games since at least 2008, so that's built in a lot of tolerance.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Does MR have any impact on tarantulas confusion bites? If not, how exactly am I supposed to do spider as a mummy and not die to a confusion stunlock?

AFAIK, Nope. With some specifics on your character and resources, I might be able to offer some specific suggestions. For an unintentionally snide answer: Don't. For a third rune, Tomb might be doable with necromancy miscasts nullified. Greater mummies don't have dispel undead, though some of their summons might. Depending on MR, Sphinx will either be a non-issue or an equally serious threat. The real danger would probably lie in Bennu. If you venture into the abyss, that rune should be viable without any malmutes getting in the way.

If you're not concerned with the rune so much as the experience, the simplest solution is to supplement your build with some evocations. Tarantella only have 20 MR, rendering them pretty vulnerable. You're still at a fair risk turning corners, or fighting melee thanks to their speed of 15 and tendency to show up with other monsters. Still, Evasion and Shields will factor as a sort of resistance albeit not ideal.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The won't do list does have a link going into paralysis in further depth. Following that logic, you can see why they removed paralysis from hell effects. Though since that discussion happened, it predates the introduction and removal of an amulet of stasis and doesn't cover Giant Eyeballs - though it appears their special paralysis gaze takes time to charge?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Beamed posted:

Been a few versions since I played crawl, have they made DemiGods or Mummies fun to play yet? Or have all efforts been put into punishing players?

Mummies: Kinda OK, actually. Spellcasting aptitude boosted (trunk spellcasting at +2 instead of -1), Gozag, and Sif Muna. Gozag's okay for your fighter mummies (you can't drink your potions, but that won't stop Gozag from directly injecting them into your corpse), while Sif Muna is a lot more fun for your Ice Elementalists and whatnot. The improved channeling ability is nice, but it now costs piety. Divine Energy, OTOH, does not. It let's you cast a spell without mana for a few turns of -cast. This sounds bad at first glance, but it lets you spend your MP pretty agressively, and then summon ice beasts to cover your retreat every maybe five turns?

I won't claim you'll fall in love with mummies, but they've never really been all that amazing.

Edit:

quote:

Remove the Mummy self-restoration ability

Since its main use was to cure heavy rot, but mutation no longer causes rotting
in undead, and the stat drain from mutation can be recovered by gaining XP as
with non-undead races.

This also helps.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

PotatoManJack posted:

So I've decided to give DCSS another go after a long hiatus (I last played around the introduction of Spider Lair).

After crashing out a couple of the new races like gargoyle, I decided to go back to the staple MiFi and after choosing Qazlal, I'm rolling along pretty well with the 3 standard runes on hand.

I was going to throw on a set of Gold Dragon Scales which I remember being pretty standard end game armour for a non magic character, but when reading the wiki it warns off using them, even for Minos. I'm wondering if I should steer clear even though I've got 38 ST and 21 armour skill. I can always stick with regular dragon armour or some reasonable randart plate I found, but GDA would really help shore up my resistances (currently at rF++ and rC+ wearing FDA)

Doing a wizard mode test with 38 strength, 9 dex, 21 armor, and 15 dodging
+0 fds: 15 AC / 15 EV
+0 gds: 23 AC / 12 EV

Filling empty slots (e.g. cloaks) to +0 gives an additional +6. Filling them with +2 gear takes that to +0 FDS 29 AC/ +0 GDS 37 AC. If you somehow got all this way without finding and enchanting a dragon armor before now I'd consider the gold dragon scales superior - but that's primarily because 38 Strength is fairly absurd. I'd argue that a typical strength for a heavy armor character without cheibriados might be around 26, but I'd be bullshitting you because I haven't been looking it up. Coincidentally, the average strength for all my recently won games has been exactly 26 according to the bots. I'd blame Cheibriados for that.

Since I'm curious, I'll pester sequell for "!lg * recent won mifi x=avg(str)" - apparently the average strength is 32.5 and the average dex is 19.5.

Despite this, my general answer is the same, stick to the fire dragon scales, for all the reasons listed in above posts. If the fds is already +5, then really you're trading 3 AC for 3 EV in my theoretical first example, and lighter armors do have some more subtle benefits than AC/EV and casting. In my theoretical personal game I'd probably be lusting after storm dragon scales if not something rarer. There are some other armors I'd consider using under specific circumstances but no real need to rock the boat from what I do know of your character. The way player resistances work, I generally don't worry about it (on heavy armor characters) outside of Zot, Extended, Ice Caves, or Immolating the hell out of Slime Pits/Vaults:5. Diminishing returns and all that.

Player: r{f,c,elec,pois}-: 150%; r{f,elec,c}+: 50%; r{f,c}++: 33%; r{f,c}+++: 20%; rN+: 50%; rN++: 25%; rN+++: 0%; rCorr: 50%; rPois+: 33%

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Try vinestalker monk of dithmenos and report whether your anti magic bite is mimicked.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Bust skill cap, take that apt to minus 5, tweaking as needed?

Kind of interesting in that it forces them to use something else meanwhile. Sorta lovely because it isn't really fun (like a red draconian IE but worse) and picking something else to rely on prolly isn't that stressful.

All in all, a half-assed suggestion.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Depends on what kinda spells you're looking for, and whether you're willing to wear that randart ring of wizardry or not. The Str Penalty/Int Bonus complicates things a bit, so I'm diving into wizard mode.

Assuming you don't wear the ring, your stats don't change from leveling up at all, and you have 20 spellcasting and 20 translocations, here's a before and after comparison of leather/fire scales.

Controlled Blink: 10% / 38%
Dispersal: 1% / 1%
Passage of Golubria: 0% / 1%

If I take translocations to 27, then Cblink goes to 1% / 8% before any wizardry or str/int boosts come into play. At 23 Translocations, and 16 Armour skill troll leather is 2% miscast and Fire Dragon 10%. Entirely within the realm of plausible. If you swap the ring of protection for that randart ring of wizardry, -3 strength, +6 intelligence, and the last skill settings, then you come out at ahead, taking you to 4% miscast in fire dragon scales. Something with 15 encumberance like Shadow/Storm Dragon Scales, 12% with the ring, 28% without.

TL;DR: Yeah, Ice, Pearl and Fire Dragon would be okay for level eight spells and skill levels around 23-24. Level nine spells might be stretching it. You could get away with storm or shadow dragon scales in a three-runer if you aimed a little lower, like level six spells. If you were not a naga with deformed body I'd recommend quicksilver dragon scales, or if you were playing trunk and lacking an rCorr barding, acid dragon scales perhaps. Any other race and the QDS would give you a nice boost while you were saving up ?EA and skilling up, but your naga would barely see an improvement over the troll leather or robes unless you had a high armour skill. And nagas have a drat good natural MR anyways. The max enchant is where it's at.

Aiming for extended?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Honestly, it was a half-assed zero effort idea on my part. I haven't even played it yet. The other half-baked idea I have is sacrificing maximum exp levels, like Ru.

Should get around to playing it by the end of the week. From my total inexperience I'm don't even have an idea whether lifting a cap is fun, or good for the intended design, or whatever.

All I know is I will always have Call Canine memorized from the summoner spell book.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Answer: don't worship chei till you have some panic options. Just converted is the most vulnerable time. If you have spammals, you might be able to force him to use up most of large rocks. Scroll of fog or fear, resist wands, mephitic cloud and lots of prayer.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm rolling along with a GrEE^Chei and have Snake in my game. My only offensive spells right now are LRD, Fireball, Iron shot, and IMB. I'm worried I don't have enough CC options should I get overwhelmed with guys on screen. Would Meph Cloud or Toxic Radiance help with CC options here? Or are my current options + slouch enough to get by? What else should I be looking for to survive Snake?

Edit: Or Bolt of Magma or Venom Bolt? I don't have a bolt spell right now but can learn either if need be.

If you're concerned about that, then Don't Do Snake. You WILL be blink-encircled. I reluctantly recommend Magma Bolt, but it won't be a big help in Snake because of that encirclement. And if you are NOT encircled or in a corridor, it's range issues are exacerbated by the lack of Vehumet.

More constructively, bring a wand of digging if you must do snake. Bolt of Magma now becomes more effective and you can only be encircled on one or two sides. Petrify or a wand of paralysis may be handy for anacondas and the like, depending on your skill investment. Keep Passwall in mind - it functions at normal speed, making it quicker than walking by far, and convenient for retreats if you know when to use it. Three key pieces of gear for a chei mage are a staff of power, a ring of magical power and another ring of magical power. I exaggerate, but even one is a big help in reserving MP for Temporal Distortion and Step from Time without crippling your ability to cast your killing spells. TD will conveniently break constriction, clear a staircase, etc, but not much more in Snake.

Seriously consider (both the pros and cons) of doing the Elven Halls in pursuit of books and loot. While you could have Shatter, Lee's Rapid Disintegration is still pretty drat effective thanks to Deep Elves being glass cannons. Something like the Deep Elf Blademaster (~100 HP) and Master Archer might be the scariest enemies, but in general you'll be seeing high class elves with around 60 HP. Before any demons or elementals come into play, you'll be running into elves that have 12-25 EV and 1-2 AC at most, making LRD pretty drat handy depending on the layout (map scroll for convenience sake).

Regarding Slouch: It's great, but Snake is a weird mix of fast, slow, and Hasted enemies, many of which actually have decent HP - though the guardian serpent isn't one of them. The guardian serpent comes with at most 57 health, blink encircle, and 15 speed, so if there are any chances of getting mobbed it may certainly be worth slouching before it even gets in range of Iron Shot.

I often pick up Orb of Destruction to complement the range/accuracy issues of earth magic, but fire magic should serve that purpose well enough. And right now, range won't be a big concern anyways.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

How to play stealthy, shamelessly oversimplified
Option 1: be an enchanter, supplement with summoning or conjurations in late game.
Option 2: be an assassin, pick dithmenos and train evocations. Early for wands; late for spider sacks.
Option 3: be an assassin, pick okawaru for needle gifts and swords. Use cross training to support sword and board as your plan b if you can't break past armor. Might and berserk for Zot.
Option 4: be a vinestalker, worship loving Trog.
Option 5: worship qazlal while using the singing sword and gong.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Carados posted:

I mean this is incredibly game-design intensive and will require a huge amount of balancing and boring stuff but:

Essentially, the issues I have are melee characters' play seems to involve less choices and less active decisions, and it seems like the choices don't matter. Additionally they have a ton of extra XP hanging around.

Here's my dumb idea:

Replace all of the weapon skills with "melee skills" or whatever. They would be things like "Crushing" for Maces and "Reaching" for polearms, "Dirty Fighting" for Short Blades, etc. Keep fighting and the defensive skills (maybe add one for Magic Resist, I dunno?), and maybe add one that just gives passive damage to any melee weapon like Weapon skills do now. The "magic point" of Weapon Skills is already seen as a problem.

Each skill would give a passive "stance" (poise? Let's use that unused key) and gain some active maneuvers as they level up. You'd have to make the choice of what you want at any given moment, and maybe switching should be fairly quick. At a higher level, maybe you can have two active. The stance gives some passive bonuses and a base effect (IE, more damage on stabs, enabling Cleaves, enabling repostes). The manuevers are like spells for weapons. These can take mana or something (rename mana if grogs complain who cares). They can do things like a larger cleave for an attack, disarming, temporary distracting enemies for stabs, or etc. Just mine D&D feats and spells for more cool things you can do.

Each Weapon "type" would be tagged with two different skills that they get the full effect of. Like Staves could some sort of mobility/re-positioning school and reaching, whips could be Cleaving and Dirty Fighting, etc. Weapon choice still matters, and you can have the same upgrades and choices between slow and fast in a category. It also lets you do something with the weirder weapons now, like Scythes being a choice if you want reaching and cleave.

I'd still want (for example) Crushing to be primarily passives (and another) just so you can make a viable build that plays similar to now, with O-Tabbing and stuff. Just pick Maces or something. Each weapon would still be able to benefit in some ways from "minor" skills, maybe being able to use actives up to a certain skill level or something. So you can branch out if you really, really want a certain active skill.

I have no idea what you'd do with unarmed/ranged but maybe something similar can happen.

The downside is you're making The Dancing God more redundant but really that guy rocks and everyone having active play like that would be awesome.

Don't trust me on this, it's 2 AM and my memories shoddy. But while passives and stances would be cool (IMO) making them more spell-like would be problematic (IDO). A good portion of crawl regulars (though I couldn't say whether it's a majority or not) are not fans of TOME, for instance, where everything is a spell and cooldown. On the other hand, from what I vaguely remember from devs and am maybe 75% accurate, they don't really want to add more a-abilities and additional keystrokes gumming up the play of your melee types - for instance, the removal of prayer. That's an oversimplification, of course, because I can't remember what they said about the other half - spells, gods, evocable items, etc. I think you'll get more promising feedback if you focus on passives or stances or something, and also keep in mind the whole issue gourmand/regen had where someone would be swapping stuff on and off all the time - that can get a little tedious to some if there isn't a purpose.

Now I'm gonna go sleep and maybe, just maybe, actually figure out if this is written down clearly somewhere. I kinda feel it was?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

bot posted:

When non-xom-effect berserk ends, there is a 1 in 10 + (rage_mutation_level * 25) chance of passing out (1d4 paralysis). Trog gives an extra piety/160 chance of avoiding passing out (so guaranteed protection at ******).
Six stars of piety ranges from 160-200, so you're completely immune to passing out in that case. I think at **** (BIA) you have at most a 4% chance of passing out.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Kaedric posted:

I have no idea how a squishy character would survive vaults 5 though, that was bonkers.

There are a variety of strategies and tactic, depending on 'things'. They all have their own risks and drawbacks so I'll only toss a couple ideas at you without any depth. Strategy: get another rune. Abyss, tomb if you have protection from torment, slime if you can kill things fast enough - especially eyes and acid blobs. Tactic: get the hell off that staircase with translocations or blink scrolls, then kill everything. It's a bit more treacherous than I make it sound, but it's workable.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Well, the biggest change is the stable version is still only 0.19.3. The thread title is a long and simple tale that I don't especially want to retell.

The biggest change in 0.20 is the outright removal of rods. Other notable changes: Frogmen, new starter poison spell (lvl2) and removal of poisonous cloud, sandblast reworked, ogres being rebalanced, [redacted] race removed, trees will appear angry when appropriate, and you can no longer rest while on fire. I'm sure there are other changes that escape me atm.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I'm not all that upset about the removal of poisonous cloud for a variety of small reasons.
  1. Poisonous Vapours is now in the starting book. It's a level two air/poison spell with smite targeting. Still won't help with zombies, but it's a lovely spell for handling the more nimble monsters like adders even at low levels where the cloud will instantly dissipate.
  2. I was much more a fan of Poisonous Clouds back when clouds existed outside LOS. Nowadays, I'd rather have Olgreb's Toxic Radiance + Freezing Clouds or OTR+Ignite Poison (though maybe IP changed since my last VM).
  3. With the absence of Cure Poison, I have to be more careful about the placement of the clouds, whereas OTR no longer poisons the caster.
  4. Poison DoT kinda sucks overall once HP gets high enough.
  5. It used three schools of magic.

If Venom Bolt was a bit more useful, I'd be okay with letting the RNG decide whether Poison Arrow spawned or not. It is an exceptionally small school, however, and really needs some more variety. Perhaps something with a Necromancy or Summoning Element? Bloat Corpse Zombie, Summon Caustic Shrike if you were willing to handwave the meaning of 'poison'... or some better idea.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Darox posted:

DD is lousy for their high invocations, their god choice is pretty limited by their boring awful mechanic.
There's only like three unique mutations that are lousy though. Rot, Black Mark & Hellfire tend to be kinda mediocre (especially rot) but everything else is great even when it doesn't especially suit your character.

I actually look forward to Rot aka Foul Stench. If I get it early enough, I'll consider picking up Kikubaaqudgha. Between the Corpse Drop invocation (based on necro iirc) and the Corpse Rot spell (which I might not get from the book), I'm perfectly suited to miasma bomb the dungeon or at least take advantage of one of my better aptitudes. It's not the best tier 2 mutation, but it won't screw you over like Nightstalker on a DsFE you planned to firestorm with.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

...Huh. I only looked because it came up, not because it is a good idea (it sure as gently caress is not) but Tara's violent unraveling can cure petrification.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Switching from shortblades to longblades mid to late game depends a lot on how many other things you're using your experience for, a dump'd be great as well as the general direction you were aiming for.

As to Spriggan and Gozag? I'd say keep enough gold on hand for a panic potion petition or two and don't worry too much about the Orc Shops. You'll pull money in at a blindingly fast rate, though it's always better to spend money on actually buying stuff rather than getting more shops. However, the orcish mines would help you make dramatically more efficent shop choices.

Having at least one food shop in the game will help if you misjudge your spell hunger or are forced to consume more calories than expected by a branch. A book with Invisibility will be amazing, but it might just turn up on its own in lair. At some time you're probably going to want to branch out from pure hexes, but getting Discord early won't help if you don't have the spellcasting or staff of energy to support the hunger. It's all relative. However, that's kind of unhelpful.

Something more practical? While a good weapon or armor are very handy, the armor shops aren't particularly weighted towards stuff you can use, let alone wear so they're a bit more of a gamble than I like. If you're a Felid, Mummy, or have no Artifice mutation, Gozag won't offer a few shop types but other than that it doesn't particularly cater to your needs. Before the mines I'd probably lean towards a distillery or scroll shop - you've got the money to buy useful potions and get a free ID in the bargain. As a matter of personal taste my ranking after that would be Jewellery, General Stores, and Books. A good spellbook is gamechanging, but I hate it when the floorgod offers me the same book a few levels later. A lot of jewellery remains useful even when it's redundant, and general stores keep me from having to commit if I'm not feeling a particular lack in one category.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I'm under the impression that, as a VS, you want to be using a quickblade all game to maximize the amount of bites you do, even into extended. Is this correct, or would that character get a eudaemon blade or something instead?

TL;DR Either is fine if you're not minmaxing. Feel free to switch, or not. Better weapon damage versus half as many bites.

You get great bite damage from a quickblade, it triggers more the more you attack. An demon blade or something can still put out some solid damage on its own. It's possible for your regular damage to make up for a fifty percent loss in antimagic bite. Quoting the wiki because it might actually be more informative for once:

quote:

Damage done: Fangs_level×2 + XL/3
Drained MP: 1dDamage_done × (1.25 - MP/MaxMP)

From the learndb:

quote:

Chance of bite triggering is (str+dex)/49.

A sufficiently good sword can make the difference depending on the quality of your quickblade and your stats + skills if you're only looking at damage output, and not antimagic or magic draining. 5 base damage and 0.3 mindelay vs a demon blade's 12 base damage and 0.6 mindelay. Speaking from experience (that turns out to not be as much as I thought after checking my morgues - I only have two games with exactly four runes as my highscores as vine stalkers), you can quite happily carry a quickblade into extended on a vinestalker. If you're curious what skills fifteen rune vine stalker games have maxed first which isn't quite as meaningful as I'd wish:

quote:

689 games for * (vs nrune=15): 169x Fighting (24.53%), 111x Invocations (16.11%), 81x Unarmed Combat (11.76%), 65x Shields (9.43%), 62x Stealth (9.00%), 38x Short Blades (5.52%), 26x Axes (3.77%), 19x Long Blades (2.76%), 17x Spellcasting (2.47%), 17x Air Magic (2.47%), 17x Armour (2.47%), 12x Translocations (1.74%), 11x Evocations (1.60%), 8x Dodging (1.16%), 7x Necromancy (1.02%), 5x Maces & Flails (0.73%), 5x Throwing (0.73%), 4x Charms (0.58%), 3x Hexes (0.44%), 3x Polearms (0.44%), 3x Earth Magic (0.44%), 2x Staves (0.29%), Ice Magic (0.15%), Conjurations (0.15%), Transmutations (0.15%), Summonings (0.15%)

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I usually aim for fifteen runes and give up around six.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: On the subject of Wz hybrids, who would be the closest replacement for a HEWz hybrid with Long Swords and a bunch of utility spells?

I'd love the ability to play ascii online with that chat panel the webtiles online has, am I missing something or is it not possible?

I know it'd need to be in the actual terminal code of the game for that as opposed to some web poo poo but surely there's some space on the bottom right that's perfect for them to add this. Maybe do that instead of removing High Elves and Sludge Elves which I quite liked playing, dunno who they were hurting by being there as options.

No. There is an in-game messaging system exclusive only to ascii players and viewers that (un)fortunately has no crossover with the webtiles chat. On the other hand, it is entirely possible to play the game in ASCII and spectate your own game in webtiles without any conflict, even using webchat. There is one streamer on twitch that plays in ascii but captures webtiles for viewers.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Panic! at Nabisco
[Shop] Kojaet's Antique Armour Boutique - a couple items that may have egos
a pair of embroidered boots (388 gold)
a runed helmet (388 gold)
[Shop] Lukim's Magic Scroll Boutique - a co
a scroll of recharging (123 gold)
a scroll of silence (97 gold)

Noted: Lack of Sacks of Spiders, Boxes of Beasts. Trunk, so no rods of shadows. Suggestion: Grab reusable elemental evokers like lamp of fire, phial of water, fan of gales, stone of tremors. I am uncertain whether having more than one of a type stacks, I vaguely think they don't.

Optionally useful for Slime: Scrolls of immolation, staked rF.

Hindsight: Weird order you followed, but anything that lets you live through and clear V5 is nothing to bitch about.
Branches: Dungeon (13/15) Elf (0/3) Orc:2 Vaults (5/5) D:13 Crypt (0/3). Normally either Vaults5 or Elf3 is the penultimate stop on 3-runer before Zot.

From Learndb
Sorear[6]: Do the closest level that you can handle. Use your brain.
Clearing V5? Passed with flying colors.
Hyperelliptic: Lair -> D:12 -> Orc -> D:15 -> S:3 -> maybe other S:3 -> get rune -> Vaults:4 -> maybe get second rune -> Depths:5 -> get three runes -> Zot
I often throw in Crypt before Depths, and Elf before Vaults:5 (or after). I don't know whether I've gotten better or Elf's gotten less dangerous so take that final recommendation with a grain of salt.

Whether that order's useful to you or not, I'd probably finish the dungeons first, test out the Crypts, and then review whether you're ready for the Elven Halls (either slightly better resists or a lot more wands and aggressive Trog's Hand use). Either way, poking your head into the Depths should push you considerably closer to Level 27 and more hp/mp but it can go bad quickly there so put off Elf or Depths till you're at the top of your game.

My favorite 4th rune to get is the Slime Pits - I just love any excuse to use immolation, the easiest should be Abyss with your regeneration and stealth. Your current resists are not heavily enough skewed to recommend a particular hell, Pandemonium would likely be the third set of runes you start hunting for after that.

Interesting: A manual of shields. Boring: Not even any slightly unordinary shields even after V5.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 5, 2017

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Also, have you ever seen Trog wrath before? It is 'exciting' and one of the longer lasting ones. You may find it impacting your fun, survival may impact your short term plans

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

YASD http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/LordSloth/morgue-LordSloth-20170206-024530.txt

pre:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-556-g892c87b (webtiles) character file.

638903 LordSloth the Cryomancer (level 27, -7/224 HPs)
             Began as a Yellow Draconian Conjurer on Feb 3, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Vehumet.
             Killed from afar by an orb of fire (35 damage)
             ... with a fireball
             ... on level 3 of the Realm of Zot on Feb 6, 2017.
             The game lasted 09:35:01 (96385 turns).
I swapped to a ring of sInv to deal with a ghost moth, and then forgot to switch back, like an absolute idiot.
Highlights: A faded altar on D:2 giving me Vehumet. Finding "Punk" on D:4. Finding a staff of cold, two rings of ice, and two manuals of ice magic early, in addition to rC+ from !beneficial mutation. Falling in love with Glaciate. Dying like an idiot.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Open question: what's your favorite or most fun race/class/deity combo to play and why? Not looking for objective statements, just why you personally enjoy your favorite build.

Formicid Fighter of Cheibriados, followed by Demonspawn Berserker and Draconian Conjurer of Vehumet with a pinch of Troll Chaos Knight and Spriggan Assassin for less serious play.

FoFi^Chei: Double Down good. Can't run, can't teleport, can't escape. There is only Kill. That, and sleep till the enemy goes away. Going fighter means I don't have to balance my MP consumption between spells and Step from Time.
Demonspawn Berserker: Do I really need to explain? Has something to do with one of my first wins.
Draconian Conjurer: Explosions and more explosions, without any of the extreme fragility I'm unfamiliar with after formicids and ogres galore. Racial color is really just there to help me decide which offers of Vehumet to ignore.

Troll Chaos Knight: Frustrated? Find yourself saying, "I know this is stupid but..." and ruining a valuable character? TrCK is a way to unwind and stop eating the purple because I get my full share of crazy and I don't feel too guilty if it goes badly. Oddly enough, everytime I successfully talk someone into a TrCK, their luck vastly exceed my own.

Spriggan Assassin (don't do this too often online): Player ghosts got you down? See how far you can dive a level 1 spriggan without killing a single enemy. I get to feel like a speedrunner without actually developing the skills or habits to win a game in under two hours.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Something I have not thought about a lot, so it's only at the stage of fetal bullshit. I'm throwing it out now so it has a chance to germinate after a good nights rest. 3:1 Flaming Turd:Fertiliser.

One of the ways new players get things wrong, and something I don't see too much in other roguelikes, is the importance of Backing Away. Backing Away is somewhat different in Crawl, thanks to sound, stealth, and the line of sight system. Common roguelike themes are Retreat, Picking Your Fights, Fighting in a Corridor, and Tactical Positioning (see, Spelunky). A lot of difficulty is because people don't Back Away, either because the game doesn't properly teach them to, incentivize them, or it doesn't really matter in other roguelikes.

Example 1: Shiren the Wanderer a "newbie's first RL" with the rescue system and all.
This game teaches you to avoid some fights outright, or lure them to a more advantageous position (a corridor). But with it's harsh food clock (and the winds blowing you off the level) and forward-only progression, there is no real incentive to retreat from a fight and then re-engage it later. You're using up your awesome scroll and clearing the room, or getting the gently caress outta that level. It doesn't really make sense to do half a fight, break it off, and resume it later.

Example 2: So half-baked I decided to cut it, rather than waste your time, or mine, squeezing blood out of a stone.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

First up, I think extended is Mostly poo poo (formerly All poo poo), which I why I can't remember the last time I bothered with more than six runes (a ghoul, in January 2016. And the only other was a Centaur in 2014). That's a whole host of problems, not just glow and malmutate.

I tentatively think this change will be an improvement for the 25-40% of the game I actually play as long as the weighting remains high enough my sanity isn't dependent on the floor god. As for the remaining 60%? Well I'll still hate it with moderation. So that skews my perspective.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

IIRC statue form supresses the scales mutation.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

ChickenWing posted:

[TELL] me about DEFE 3-rune midgame becuase I can not for the life of me wrap my head around it. It seems like around the time you find Lair/Orc and start encountering beefier enemies like Hill Giants, Trolls, and whatnot, your survivability takes a nosedive while your offensive ability still isn't sufficient to get much done. You've got about enough mana for three fireballs, tops, and god help you in the majority of open-layout levels.

I get early game (train Fire Magic basically exclusively, conjure flame + flame tongue + corridors), and I sorta get the transition into midgame (start branching out into other magic schools based on what books you find, hope to god you find Minor Magic), but past that I can't seem to gain any traction when I run into beefier enemies or huge packs.

And that's Deep Elves for you. I get around that problem by being a Draconian, Tengu, whatever.

I'm currently running a Tengu Fire Elementalist on Trunk in order to try out Ignition.

I'm worshipping Vehumet and have gotten exceptionally lucky with int boosting items. Looks like Ignition is viable at 16-20 skill depending on how much rF you have in cast of miscasts. Given how I got it online while training up 15 shields, 14 polearms, and various other combat skills, I think it might not be that 'late' a spell, though Int boosters, vehumet, and "gourmand" have been a big help. It's pretty handy as long as two enemies are standing next to each other, but otherwise it's an overpriced fireball. As someone who isn't a dedicated caster, I'm quite happy using it instead of firestorm, taking only one skill to 16-18 instead of two to 22-26ish.

I decided to take it into the Elven Halls to try it out. Everytime I ran into an ambush, I had trouble not laughing like a Madman, it was that good. This lasted right up till the Elven Vault, where the specific layout made it much less effective. Thoughts for Tengu who has less magical versatility than Deep Elf. Orb of Destruction pretty good at handling dancing weapons, even if they got too close. More importantly, I forgot those Deep Elf Elementalists still had repel missiles and nearly died of overestimating Bolt of Fire. Thankfully, ?teleport worked out nicely, and I was a bit more on the durable side of skills and gear than your average elf. As long as even two elves were next to each other, Ignition was worth using (gourmand, again). While it won't classically miss, orb of destruction has that nasty tendency to bounce off shields and veer into walls. Bolt of Fire (as my direct attack), Orb of Destruction (as my don't loving miss attack), and Ignition (as my gently caress off attack) were all essential. With more spell levels (like a deep elf) I might have picked up Chain Lightning or LCS or had Firestorm or whatever already online.

In conclusion: Ignition is loving awesome but you absolutely can't rely on it if your enemies are likely to spread out. It was pretty awesome in the Vaults in general, however. I'm a little surprised you're running out of MP quite that quickly as a Deep Elf otherwise. I've been generally doing okay without any source of mana regen/channeling, though only through careful rationing. Your next game, mind sharing some dump files or dropping into the discord chatroom? What god are you usually picking up?

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I have a new favorite way to clear Vaults:5.

Step 1: Read a scroll of Immolation
Step 2: Cast Ignition
Step 3: Profit.

First, everyone explodes simultaneously. Then, they explode again one-by one. It is beautiful. :tif:

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

So I went into a game ONLY to see Ignition. It was never taken real seriously, it was just a Tengu Fire Elementalist of Vehumet. So, I'm not very busy trying to win.

76594 | Vaults:5 | Identified the +14 crystal plate armour "Qaxet" {rF+} (You found it on level 5 of the Vaults)
81456 | D:8 | Became a worshipper of Cheibriados the Contemplative
89968 | Crypt:3 | Was forgiven by Vehumet (thanks, amulet of faith)
92370 | D:5 | Bought the +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3} for 1360 gold pieces
92644 | D:4 | Bought the +10 large shield of Ignorance {rN+ Int-4} for 744 gold pieces

Not noted is me simply brute-forcing Snake Pit 4 without rPoison. It went about as well as you might expect with 0 * of Chei piety, Vehumet wrath.. but hell it was fun.

Currently: +9 ice dragon scales, shield of resistance. Early on, I could still cast Ignition and Orb of Destruction - I probably have my unusual luck with randart statsticks to thank for that - they were actually useful outside of boosting. My demon trident, in particular, is actually just as good as a staff of wizardry for my miscast chances. Also have steam dragon scales to thank for that transition, enchanted to +5 I found myself taking considerably less damage than a +5 randart rpois/sinv leather armor, highly recommend that or swamp dragon scales if you need a little extra sturdiness but not a lot (stone giants still loving hurt of course) since you're murdering most from afar. As a Tengu I've been able to Demon Trident poke the yellow/grey danger remnants left after a magical murder spree. Staying as Vehumet would have been highly advised, but goons advised me to be Fun. For comparison's sake, before switching gods Firestorm was rapidly dropping from ~50% failure rate, I think it approached ~17% near the very end?

pre:
 Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup version 0.20-a0-641-g673355a (webtiles) character file.

LordSloth the Ruinous (Tengu Fire Elementalist)    Turns: 92720, Time: 07:22:55

Health: 158/158    AC: 34    Str: 32    XL:     26   Next: 20%
Magic:  63/63      EV: 17    Int: 48    God:    Cheibriados [*****.]
Gold:   1064       SH: 19    Dex: 33    Spells: 2/59 levels left

rFire    + + +     SeeInvis .   a - +9 demon trident of the Hawk {drain, Str+5 Int+4}
rCold    + + +     Gourm    .   s - +14 crystal plate armour "Qaxet" {rF+}
rNeg     . . .     Faith    .   P - +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+}
rPois    .         Spirit   .   n - +2 hat
rElec    .         Reflect  .   W - scarf {rC+ rF+}
rCorr    .         Harm     .   q - +0 pair of fencer's gloves {+Riposte Dex+3}
MR       ++...                  (boots unavailable)
Stlth    ..........             X - amulet of Idwog {RegenMP rC+ MP+9}
Regen    0.4/turn               t - ring "Ydwoaw" {rC+ Str+4 Int+4 Dex+3}
MPRegen  0.6/turn               g - ring "Tiupal" {rC+ MP+9 Int+3}

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
b - Bolt of Fire          Conj/Fire      ########..   1%          6    None
f - Fireball              Conj/Fire      ########..   1%          5    None
i - Ignition              Fire           ########..   21%         8    ##.....
j - Orb of Destruction    Conj           ########..   2%          7    None
k - Force Lance           Conj/Tloc      ########     1%          4    None
l - Chain Lightning       Conj/Air       ########..   63%         8    ##.....
q - Ring of Flames        Chrm/Fire      ########..   21%         7    None
r - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #######...   2%          3    None
F - Fire Storm            Conj/Fire      ########..   99%         9    ####...
Full CPA dump: http://pastebin.com/5Cs31fFK
Full IDS dump: http://pastebin.com/azSYuKP1
Not smart enough to seperately save a dump pre-god switch summary: I was lucky with stat randarts some of which were just as good as wizardry, whereas I didn't find actual wizardry rings, so it should be viable for others - though Deep Elves aren't really suited strength/apt wise. Speaking to a random Discord comment about casting in plate: It's true, it's possible! Even without Chei or Vehumet! That person's gargoyle had a crazy strength of near 40, but about 12 int. So they'd probably only be able to get Stone Arrow online moderately easily, and Iron Shot with some real effort. Of course, dragon armors are a lot more practical, since many of them are less encumbering than chainmail.

YOU TOO CAN DO SOMETHING STUPID TODAY! Vehumet's wrath is only random castings of Firestorm and Lehudib's Crystal Spear,* nothing to be concerned about, and surely he won't act at the worst possible moment!
*Your wrath may vary, wrath may be held to terms and conditions of experience level, people afraid of traveling slowly need not apply to Cheibriados today

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

I did something similar with rF++ and only steam dragon scales. The next turn I had a third less of my health, around 50 damage. The turns after that my health continued to drop rapidly from the flames but most importantly a stone giant. Those clouds do take AC into account IIRC, which is why the outcome is less traumatic in GDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

People, the answer is simple: bring back nausea and make all chunks tainted except for hill orcs, ghouls, kobolds, and ogres. Why the gently caress would eating a giant cockroach raw be healthy? :btroll:

Also, turn remove curse into a wand, start every character with one, make rare. :troll:

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Feb 16, 2017

• Locked thread