Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

Poison Mushroom posted:

Orc is 2, Elf is 3, Lair is 8, 6

In other news, I'm 12 years old:

code:
Found Fucke's Antique Weapon Shoppe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

rcfile pros: Is there something I can add to my config so it gives a -more- prompt on any Xom dickery?

Actually having fun with a DSCK who found the Lajatang of Order early on (which must be the ultimate gently caress you to Zin), but I keep missing Xom's antics in the general spam.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Poison Mushroom posted:

Should be as simple as
code:
force_more_message += Xom
Shouldn't it?

As an added bonus, it will also force a -more- upon seeing Xom altars.

That should catch 99% of it, I think there's the odd time where Xom goes "Catch!" or similar and the word doesn't appear in the message. I'll give it a go and see. Thanks!

Given Xom effects are captured in the log, though, it feels like there should be a more elegant solution than brute-forcing mentions of their name. Like there's an event name covering them all that the game could pause on.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

rchandra posted:

code:
fmm := force_more_message
stop := runrest_stop_message

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
stop += god:. 
: end

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
fmm += god:.
: end
This will only work properly if you save the game after taking Xom, unless you are a CK.

Thanks, I'll give that a shot. Character's long dead, of course, but I've wanted something like this for Xom worshippers for ages.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think this is the first game I've had where I've encountered packs of Shard Shrikes, even though I know they've been in for ages.

Was the first game. loving things.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Mystery Prize posted:

I had a great OgCK game going, Xom had gifted me a +5 morningstar of freezing and some sweet mutations! Everything was going great, until I got shafted from D:5 to D:8, and then almost immediately from D:8 to D:11 into the middle of a pack of ugly things and a Centaur Warrior, where I died before my teleport went off.

Shafts are a great mechanic you guys

I bet Xom found that hilarious, though.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Quick question: I know at some point in the last year necromantic minions you raise got made non-permanent - did this get reverted at some point?

I mean, I'm not complaining if they did, but I've dabbled with things like animate skeleton and Yred during the tourney, and they don't seem to be poofing into clouds of smoke anymore. Of if they are, I'm missing it.

E: Of course, as soon as I post this, I see one crumble into dust, but they still seem to be lasting WAY longer, even for a scrub minotaur fightmans.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Nov 19, 2016

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

resistentialism posted:

There's one that just loads up webtiles, if you've got wifi floating around.

The webtiles one for android is pretty good, I won my only game last tournament on it using a tablet and Bluetooth keyboard. Only problem I had was it hates the keyboard for free text entry (searching, specifying a branch level to run to, etc) and refused to accept any text. Minor niggle, and it might be fine with a soft keyboard.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

dpeg posted:

True! Kobolds are a D&Dism, right? That makes them just as eligible for removal, though.

0.27: Removed Dragons and the dungeon.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Possible 'fixes' for malmutate, just throwing these out there:

1) Up the chance of potions of cure mutation removing malmutations over positive ones. Even if only slighty, if they were weighted toward a positive benefit, it might affect extended behaviour.

2) Benemut potions (if they don't already) could have a chance of removing/lessening malmutations. Removal of teleportitis could be seen as a beneficial mutation.

3) Potions of resistance also grant rMut. There's a certain point in even a 3-rune game where I end up never using these, as equipment provides enough protection, and this would at least provide a meaningful choice in endgame as when to strategically use them. If this went in, might have to revisit how commonly the potions turn up, of course.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

This is my new favorite thing in the game.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

http://colinmorris.github.io/blog/dcss_species

Some interesting analysis of game stats here, had no idea demonspawn were such popular starts. And while I've won with DD before, usually they just make me hate myself if I play one.

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Feb 1, 2017

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

dpeg posted:

Alright, I'm done here too.

The biggest clown in town is alway some rear end in a top hat on SomethingAwful.

Well, I guess you're a member of these forums, so...

Oh, wait. I see what you mean.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

2. As ever, QOL changes are almost all great. Auto cutting+eating of chunks when VHungry is dope.

Little late here, but what new sorcery is this, and how do I add it to my rcfile?

E: nm, figured it out from the trunk changes blog

Wolfechu fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 25, 2017

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

0.20 is releasing on May 24th, and the tournament is starting on the 26th. Gnolls and Wu Jian are staying behind in trunk, so the changelog is pretty set in stone at this point.

I guess it's a good time to start organizing teams unless everyone is still disgruntled or apathetic about playing the new version. I haven't put effort into stupid team names yet, but I'll follow up with some when I take another good look through the changelog.

I'm up for the usual schadenfreude squad, not quite discouraged from the game yet by recent events. I should avoid picking a team name, though, I'd probably come up with something tetchy.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

that's pretty normal for roguelikes. at least it's not nethack

I'm so spoiled on Nethack over the last ten years I can't even begin to imagine how it looks to a newbie. At least they have a rock solid wiki nowadays, instead of digging through three dozen text files of spoilers.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Sage Grimm posted:

Imagine the dark times when all you had on ADOM were rumours and BBS boards. Imagine..

ADOM was bizarre back then. I remember advice like "Well, we /think/ the Trident of the Red Rooster might exist in the game, but we're not 100% sure from decompiling."

Mind, it's not exactly transparent in its present form.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

I'm up for joining (and probably the other schadenfreude members) if you're still planning on making a team and willing to have us again. Otherwise, I'll probably make a team and steal Deep Elf State as a name because that was way better than any of mine.

Also, here's some more flavor related titles if you are interested:
Diet Stone Soup
Flavor Sold Separately
Waiter You Served Me A Bowl of Water

Yep, I'm up for whichever of the two of you go with a team, same username as here, as always.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Where are folks gonna be hanging out for the tourney? Discord? I hardly ever remember to have IRC open nowadays.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

jerkstoresup posted:

The discord server was born for the last tournament and has stayed relatively active since. I'll be there while I play. ##crawl is a little too noisy for me.

Still the same link as in OP: https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg

I think I'm already logged in there at home, so good.

If anything, I find ##crawl too quiet nowadays - I used to like when they announced every unique killed, every rune found, etc. Nowadays it just seems to have, well, lost its flavour.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I never really saw people chatting much in there before or after they quietened the bots down. Other than people putting in fooTV requests or weird permutations of sequell's game stats. Webtiles chat seems to be where the actual conversations go off.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

Should my GaFi^Ru be wearing this +10 Chain Mail {MP+9} or a +2 Plate {MR+}? I'm AC/EV 46/7 with the Chain but 42/7 with the Plate, but I feel like the MR+ is better than the extra AC once I start rune diving? I've given up ever casting spells, really.

Edit: Found a randart ammy with MR+++ so the Plate might not be as useful now? Is the GDR increase in Plate over Chain worth losing the extra 4 AC? I don't know how that math works.

Someone else can probably do the math, but I'd go with MR+ over the few extra AC. Depends how much MR you have otherwise, I was finding it hairy after two runes with just two pips last night. EDIT: Totally didn't see the Amulet somehow. I would probably still go with the plate as well, just because +9 MP probably isn't doing a lot for you if you're not casting.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

Unless you wear an amulet of spirit shield! (Definitely one of the best amulets so that's not unreasonable)

I always forget they're even a thing. I wore one on my win last night, mostly because I'd found nothing else except gourmet. Are they that good? I seem to always prioritize regen over spirit shield...

That was a game of useless equipment, though. Vanilla gloves and boots, and multiple redundant rElec on a gargoyle. I switched to GDA just to get some resists in the endgame. I suppose the RNG was punishing me for finding Eos on the floor there, which was far better than anything Trog gifted the entire game.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think this is the best trove I've ever seen.

code:
P - the +9 scales of the Dragon King {rPois rF+ rC+ MR+}  
V - the +2 shield of Resistance {rF+ rC+ MR+} 
W - the +4 moon troll leather armour {Spirit, Regen++ MP+5} 
You see here the +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Slay+3 SInv}.
Plus a bunch of other armour of varying usefulness.

This on a TrCK, and the best part is, I had to give up piety to enter. Like Xom gave a poo poo five minutes later.

I wonder how I'll die?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Araganzar posted:

It would be cool if we could have a shared chat - spectator enhancement is something I'm interested in working on. I think it could work doing something like the channels you have in MMORPGs like WoW. Something like !join goons. You could turn milestone displays on or off. I've looked at trying to give spectators the ability to see your skills, equipment, and text log without asking you to show it but the chat is fairly disconnected from the game and pulls its info off milestones instead. I'd have to put code in the actual game instead of the webtiles interface to store the info I want to make available and that's a higher bar both to code and get commited.

This would be amazing. No idea how practical it'd be, but I'd love to see this kind of thing.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Araganzar posted:

okay I see some of you folks here winning in 50-90 minutes, how do you do it? Do you skip any branches? When do you o tab and when do you slow down?

If it makes you feel better, my quickest win ever was just over 3 hours and I can't even understand how people do it in half the time.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Early D is always a problem.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Question: anyone tried webtiles on a chromebook?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Johnny Joestar posted:

ehhhhhhhhh i wouldn't really say that

God no. I'd put things like dungeonmans and tome way ahead of crawl in terms of accessibility. Interface aside (and both are easier for the newbie), they're available on steam, which gets over the 'where the gently caress do I get this' hump at the beginning.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Zaodai posted:

Neither one of them particularly see having some strong things that are newbie friendly as a downside like Crawl devs seem to either.

Exactly. I mean tome is stats/resistance hell once you get going, but someone who's never picked up a roguelike would still get the basics without having to read a wiki for hours.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

There's a nethack tourney this month. I play nethack again now. This is where you've driven me to, devs.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I posted my feedback on the crawl forums before and had it been ignored there too. Devs also used to post in this thread, got feedback, and consistently ignored it. Its also hypocritical to say the devs should ignore us all because some posters were rude when the devs have been quite toxic in this thread as well.

The ultimate point is this; I don't buy that the changes being made in Crawl are actually the will of the overall community. The devs are doing what they want and think is right for the balance of the game. I don't want to have to create a fork just because the devs are too focused on their own visions rather than preserving the original spirit of the game.

No amount of forking is going to convince the current devs to stop removing content.

Pretty much this, really. As someone who has no idea how to code, I often vaguely hope someone will step up with gooncrawl, fun edition, but my other viable option is vote with my feet. I check in on the thread from time to time, but I don't think I've actually played since the last tournament. There's entirely too many roguelikes out there now with devs who don't sneer at anyone posting in here.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

0.21 notes: Removed players

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

tote up a bags posted:

Kraken's retelling is entirely correct. We had devs and contributors in here for YEARS who could take some criticism and some jokes (you know like the entire forums have operated for nearly two decades) and it was all gravy. Then dpeg came in and posted a load of holier-than-thou screeds about how bad things are actually good, and when the thread acted in the exact same way it always does, he got his feelings hurt and took his ball and went home.

There's no simple way to fix this, it will take years o-

-hoorayyyyyy

Just to add to this, it's not just the Goons here; I can remember occasions of dpeg being a prick on the Tavern before I ever even read this thread. At some point you just have to accept this is who he is, but I don't think it's a particular dislike of goons.

But yeah, fair play to PleasingFungus and co.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I think you could argue execution is a part of turn based games like roguelikes, but it's entirely down to how crufty the control system is. Crawl has one of the best Interfaces I've seen in a roguelike - compare to nethack's mess of extended commands, adom's amazingly obtuse inventory system, or dwarf fortress' well, anything.

Being able to hit the right command without consulting a manual is a fairly big part of the success rate. To me, dark souls has this problem too, I can't remember all the various combos of controller buttons to do various things. ;)

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

Let's just pick up where it left off, then?

Liking the suggestions so far. How are the thread opinions on stair dancing? The lack of that is the only thing I find daunting about hellcrawl. Please don't do that in Goon crawl.

I might have more suggestions when I'm not posting from a phone.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

I don't disagree with a word of this, it sums it up perfectly.

Particularly the fluff part. I can remember the exact moment I had a twinge of 'why do that' in a new version, and it was even before Mountain Dwarfs went - 0.8, when they removed Paladins. That was the first time I was regularly playing this game, and something, an entire background, was removed because it was felt it was unnecessary. I can still remember thinking - surely it's better to give a player more choices than less? Part of the charm of DCSS to me was the sheer variety of roles and races available.

Sure, paladin didn't impact the game a lot - similar equipment to a fighter, and you started worshipping TSO. You could pick up TSO in the first few levels, likewise equipment. But it gave an indefinable feel to that playthrough. Same deal with Death Knights - why forbid players from starting worshipping Yred? Why remove something that isn't actually hurting the flow of the game any?

It's not always been the case, and when it's not, and something's removed, it's because some thought has gone into what replaces it - the best example of this would be crusaders were replaced with Skalds - it added a ton of flavour to the class.

To paraphrase Internet Kraken as well, if you''re going to remove something because it's a no-brainer, like rMut, and promise sweeping reforms to malmute and why you'd want an amulet of rMut in the first place, follow up on it. Don't leave hell effects a character-breaking mess with no way to counter them. If you're going to remove a crutch from a character's play, make sure their broken leg is fixed first.

So there you go, that's my (not very) big design philosophy contribution - if you're considering if something should be removed, first ask 'is the game better without it? Is the game practically exactly the same with or without it, but now I have 19 options instead of 20?'. Or even, 'If I'm going to remove this, what cool thing should replace it?''

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

World Famous W posted:

Add a prompt every hour or so of play to ask if you're to tired/high to keep playing.

Hey, don't underestimate the power of being high/drunk. I won my first ever game in a state where I couldn't have found my arse if I used both hands. Slows you down and stops you rushing into situations that'll kill you.

• Locked thread