Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how much participation in the tourney is going to be depressed by current events

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i'm still unhappy pakellas was removed fight me

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
why is the thread 0.20

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo drop one of bolt of draining/fire, one of ood or poison arrow (keep poison arrow because you don't see so many opportunities like this to play with it), pick up blink and portal, and don't be so scared of vaults 1-4

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imo if orcs become what beogh worshippers turn into then a) goblins and hobgoblins should be what little beogh worshippers turn into and b) gnolls should take their species slot, with some tweaks

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh, i guess gnolls are in trunk. i think i remember hearing about this but i dont think the original concept was specifically gnolls? hm

either way i like the idea of orcs being the result of worshipping beogh

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
so when are the devs going to follow their evocations changes to their logical conclusion and remove the evo skill entirely

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
pakellas is gone, rods are gone, nemelex is invo, elemental evokers aren't worth the xp investment, boxes and bags cannot be relied on to continue existing, and wands will burn out really quick as well if you lean on them

just tie it to xl already

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
man with non-boostable stats youd still be seeing it as a tradeoff with good starting stats

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
strangling great ideas in the crib on a whim is my crawl dev way

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does gammafunk post here? if so, retire bitch

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for as long as the minotaur berserker exists, i will refuse to believe crawl devs actually make changes to even out the game's challenge levels

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
is the flavor actually that the wands are in fact glomming into one

i just think of it as being similar to arrow-stacking, you have multiple wands they just fit in the same slot and for convenience their charges are presented in your inventory as one pool

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a thought about hell effects in crawl while :okpos: and it basically goes as such

right now hell effects basically work something like the game hitting you with random unavoidable bad things at random intervals, yeah? contam, damage, etc. not a lot of people really like it. there's not much player agency involved other than "stay out of hell"

here's an alternate idea. what if instead, going into hell gave you an unremovable (other than by just leaving) debuff that gave you a chance of a specific hell effect happening when you take an action other than resting. the specific effect changes at random but fairly regular intervals and is displayed as the current debuff name, meaning you can see what you're risking by acting. sort of a hell weather system, if you would. for an in-play example, you're pushing through tartarus and you see that a contamination storm has kicked up. now you're presented with a handful of choices here about how to try avoid this, such as just stopping where you are and hoping nothing finds you before its over, or taking the risk of contamination happening while you duck into a safer position with more of your los blocked off.

what do yall think?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wow.

hey remember that time they removed amulets of rmut saying theyd get around to fixing malmut later?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lava orcs

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im not serious about the lava orcs. actual random thoughts:

pakellas should come back with the new wand changes
high elves had a niche that was left empty with their removal
pizza, purple chunks
permabuffs just sounds much better than the dcss system
boulder beetles are fun
felids can wear hats and cloaks would be good, i also kind of want octopodes to be able to squeeze into helmets
i never played with singularity or crown of torment but i agree they shouldn't have been removed
undeathtrap tomb for the time being, i like the mummy gauntlet idea
jiyva altars in the temple pool
ogres should have mace apts even with their staves/polearms abilities imo

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what was the point of sludge elves back in the day i don't really remember

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
unfortunately, jiyva is also a bad god to worship late

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
im a proponent of giving poison a high-end spell that uses acid

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it does

lets steal it

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
stalkers also spent some time as a stabby transmutations class

honestly i have no idea how an octopode special mechanic for helmets would work, i just meant the hat slot when i brought it up

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
mountain dwarves thoughts: as they were, they don't really have anything special for themselves. what would be an interesting quirk for a modern mountain dwarves re-implementation?

e: also did crusader just become skald? what would crusader even be these days

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
halflings have pretty decent defensive aptitudes but low health. i thought they had worse weapon aptitudes but they're actually kind of okay at anything that isn't staves or punching

they also have innate rmut, which is kind of a defensive aptitude right

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
comedy option: remove gargoyle flight, rename them mountain dwarves

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pizzas as powerful single-use buffs and restoratives would be loving amazing not gonna lie. Comedy option: Nemelex is now god of pizza. Which slice will you bite into first?
Write-in option: Butchering things automatically produces pizza. Don't let it get cold though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i really like the evocables idea
make wand of hasting a brief time-stop evocable that makes time stop for like 2-3 turns and then gradually resume back towards normal speed
take out regen the spell and make heal wounds an evocable that gives you a heal + heal-over-time effect instead

• Locked thread