Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Do formicids benefit from oka's finesse? I can't find a solid answer anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So oka is actually a pretty good god for formicids, then? A lot of thier power comes from being able to tool up with the heaviest of everything so getting weapons, armor and shields as god gifts should really benefit them, right?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, except it's not pretty good, it's really good. FoFi^Oka is why I have the fastest realtime speedrun right now, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

I went with oka and I'm doing well so far, except for him giving me two morningstars when I'm longsword specced. I asked just in case there was some stupid edge case with formicids I hadn't considered and would only realise when I'm trying to finesse up for a tough fight and bupkis happens.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'll always do it second unless I'm a formicid with a large shield. Though when you are a Fo with a shield/amulet of reflection and a crossbow its hilariously easy.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I walked down some stairs, saw Nikola. Before I could react he chain lightning'd me for about 80 hp and then chain lightning'd me again for the remaining 50 before I could go back up, killing me.

Enemies with lightning damage are rare but holy poo poo they will slaughter you if you can't get away.

edit: JFC he can hit up to 256 with a single cast!

Carcer fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Nov 23, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
It was in swamp and I immediately decided to go and try snake instead. I didn't realize he'd get 2 casts off before I could even move, though.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, it wasn't my first entry into the level. The other stairs I tried was out in the open with a pack of weird things and a couple swamp dragons in sight. I didn't know it took 1.5 aut to move up stairs, though. Looking at my inventory I did have a potion of resistance, and should have drank it, but didn't want to give him another shot at me, which is ironic.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whoever made the vault that's got 2 orc warriors, 2 rust devils and can show up around d:5 is a real bastard

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whats a good brand for a triple sword? I've got an elec one but I'm thinking either flaming or freezing would be better.

E: Shoals 4: Bai Suzhen, Polyphemus and Mara encountered so far, ilsuiw still hiding somewhere.

EE: Found her, she spawned with a summoning scroll for good measure.

EEE: Can formicids get abyssed?

Carcer fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Nov 25, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Amulet of reflect and a shield of some sort makes a lot of the difficult branches easier. At least a third of the Vaults ambush killed itself from getting their missiles reflected back at themselves.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Did killer klown korpses (:v:) always cycle between their different forms?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Elf 3 was nearly ruinous for me, I had bright red draining by the time I walked out of there.

So where do I go next with this guy?

code:
Carcer the Slayer (Formicid Fighter)               Turns: 86158, Time: 05:43:30

HP:   237/237 (238) AC: 42    Str: 38    XL:     27
MP:   32/32         EV: 25    Int: 12    God:    Okawaru [******]
Gold: 10395         SH: 30    Dex: 21    Spells: 2 memorised, 20 levels left

rFire  . . .      SeeInvis +    a - +9 triple sword (elec)
rCold  . . .      Gourm    .    P - +14 plate armour of Zyawkix {Str+3 Dex+4}
rNeg   + . .      Faith    .    x - +1 large shield
rPois  .          Spirit   .    (helmet unavailable)
rElec  .          Reflect  +    B - +0 cloak of Pelip {*Drain rN+ Str+8}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    s - +2 pair of gloves {archery}
MR     +++..                    v - +2 pair of boots {run}
Stlth  ++++......               g - amulet of Doulloig {Reflect Int+2 SH+3}
                                p - ring of resist corrosion
                                d - ring of protection from magic

@: quick
A: permanent stasis, dig shafts and tunnels, four strong arms, antennae 3,
strong 1, MP-powered wands
a: Dig, Shaft Self, Heroism, Finesse, Renounce Religion
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

You are on level 3 of the Crypt.
You worship Okawaru.
Okawaru is exalted by your worship.
You are full.

You have visited 11 branches of the dungeon, and seen 53 of its levels.
You have visited the Abyss 1 time.
You have also visited: Labyrinth and Ice Cave.

You have collected 10895 gold pieces.
You have spent 500 gold pieces at shops.

Inventory:

Hand Weapons
 a - a +9 triple sword of electrocution (weapon)
 b - the +6 arbalest "Xutuej" {elec, rN+ MR++ Str+2}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 4 of the Shoals)   

It charges the ammunition it shoots with electricity; occasionally upon a
   hit, such missiles may discharge and cause terrible harm.

It affects your strength (+2).
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It affects your resistance to hostile enchantments.
Missiles
 l - 2119 bolts
 m - 16 throwing nets (quivered)
Armour
 s - a +2 pair of gloves of archery (worn)
 v - a +2 pair of boots of running (worn)
 x - a +1 large shield (worn)
 B - the +0 cloak of Pelip (worn) {*Drain rN+ Str+8}
   (You found it on level 3 of the Elven Halls)   

It affects your strength (+8).
   It protects you from negative energy.
   It causes draining when unequipped.
 P - the +14 plate armour of Zyawkix (worn) {Str+3 Dex+4}
   (Okawaru gifted it to you on level 1 of the Vaults)   

It affects your strength (+3).
   It affects your dexterity (+4).
Rods
 j - a +6 rod of shadows (10/10)
   (You found it on level 9 of the Dungeon)
Jewellery
 d - a ring of protection from magic (left hand)
 g - the amulet of Doulloig (around neck) {Reflect Int+2 SH+3}
   (You took it off a merfolk on level 4 of the Shoals)   

[amulet of reflection]

It shields you and reflects attacks.
   It affects your intelligence (+2).
   It affects your SH (+3).
 n - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 p - a ring of resist corrosion (right hand)
 y - an uncursed ring of positive energy
 S - an uncursed ring of protection from cold
 U - the ring "Ziomit" {rElec rPois Str+2 Int-2 Stlth+}
   (You found it on level 1 of the Realm of Zot)   

[ring of stealth]

It affects your strength (+2).
   It affects your intelligence (-2).
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from poison.
   It makes you more stealthy.
Wands
 E - a wand of heal wounds (7/9)
 R - a wand of disintegration (11/24)
Scrolls
 e - 8 scrolls of enchant armour
 q - 3 scrolls of magic mapping
 t - 26 scrolls of remove curse
 w - 12 scrolls of identify
 A - a scroll of summoning
 F - a scroll of enchant weapon
 G - 5 scrolls of recharging
 J - 5 scrolls of fog
 L - 4 scrolls of silence
 M - 11 scrolls of fear
 N - a scroll of holy word
 X - 2 scrolls of brand weapon
Potions
 h - 23 potions of curing
 i - 8 potions of flight
 k - 5 potions of might
 o - 2 potions of cancellation
 r - 4 potions of invisibility
 D - 3 potions of resistance
 I - 3 potions of agility
 K - 2 potions of cure mutation
 Q - 2 potions of heal wounds
 T - 2 potions of magic
 Z - 4 potions of ambrosia
Miscellaneous
 c - a phial of floods
 u - a phantom mirror
 z - a lamp of fire
 C - a fan of gales
 V - 8 sacks of spiders
Comestibles
 f - 30 bread rations
 H - 18 beef jerkies
 O - a meat ration
 W - 4 fruits

Skills:
 + Level 24.2 Fighting
 - Level 24.0 Long Blades
 - Level 18.2 Crossbows
 - Level 20.0 Armour
 - Level 19.9 Dodging
 - Level 22.4 Stealth
 - Level 19.0 Shields
   Level 3.4 Ice Magic
 - Level 8.4 Invocations
 - Level 12.4 Evocations
I've cleared zot 5 and cleared crypt. I'm leery about going into the abyss since I can't teleport to safety, tomb is terrifying for the same reason. Hell and Pan are bad and I'm not certain I can fight and kill the named pan lords or the hell lords.

e: Forgot about slime, went in and kicked TRJ's rear end with 0 issues.

Carcer fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Nov 26, 2016

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Is cerebov considered to be the hardest pan lord? I came within an inch of dying while running back to a murder hole (But mostly because of his gang of brimstone fiends) but once in it I chumped him.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
First time I've gotten 14 runes, up from my previous best of 5. I've only got gehenna left and then I'll finally be able to say I've "fully" beaten this game.

In hindsight I really should have left tomb for last, its so incredibly deadly and I was so incredibly stupid for not taking potions of lignification with me or buying shops out of scrolls of fog and silence. But I did it, and now I never have to go back there again.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Yeah, its to stop the death curses (and torment) from slaughtering you if you get caught somewhere you can't retreat. Since I'm playing a formicid I can stand toe to toe with literally anything but getting hit with death curses/torment when I couldn't get into a murder hole or stairdance made up all my near death experiences.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I did it. Formicid Fighter of Oka, 15 runes, all pan and hell lords dead. I even got to see and slaughter the zin/TSO themed pan level. Tomb is the worst place in the world and as I said earlier I made it so much more difficult by forgetting to bring along the right consumables.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Hold tab until you win.

Which inevitably drags you into Sigmund's line of sight as the little bastard dances away from you.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The biggest reason to play the latest version is so that I can read any of the advice from this thread and apply it to my game without having to double check the mechanics haven't changed.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

If you happen to be wearing rpois already, which is common enough, you didn't have to wait for the right kind of corpse. It's really apparent in Spider and Snake, where I'm always grateful for something like a tarantella to come along.

I never played the rpois minigame you're talking about. I know that's the kind of optimal play that some people feel obligated to stick to, but you always had the choice of just ignoring it. Now everyone just has fewer food options.

I do the same thing, only switching from rpois to another resistance if I into something obviously elemental and really threatening like a fire or ice giant and otherwise leave it on the whole time.

This is a case where I think a change was made based on the top 1% of players playstyles. I think your average player that finds a ring of rpois keeps it on until he finds an artifact ring with rpois or a piece of equipment that's branded rpois.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Under the old system you could still choose to eat permafood if you didn't want to butcher a corpse. I'm also not sure why you where butchering every corpse unless you were also doing something with sublimation/simulcrum.

There was no harm in keeping the old system, one that a new player would either find through experimentation or not ever be inconvenienced by.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
So how would anything be different now if you could still eat poison chunks? They'd still get auto-butchered if you could eat them and you could save some food, though thats mostly irrelevant due to the amount of food you get.

Its a change that only people who wanted to keep it around really care about, and even then its probably a really minimal issue for them. So why not keep poison chunks?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I'm of the opinion that food should probably be removed since its almost completely meaningless except for a couple races. To more directly address the rpois chunk thing, if nobody is going to complain if you keep the feature but some people are going to complain by removing it, why remove it?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
If that's the only criteria for what gets the axe and what doesn't then its not getting applied consistently. Lots of monsters need to go then, since they're functionally the same. There are some weapons can probably be gotten rid of as well since they're not meaningfully different. Spells too could use some pruning to get rid of those judged "extraneous".

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Dire flails are really stupid and probably should go. I think they have the exact same stats as a morningstar except they're 2 handed.

The staves thing wouldn't work if only because it'd mean wizards who want to use a booster staff are also really good with proper weapons.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Swords are great for stair dancing formicids and in large part contributed to me bieng able to dismantle the V5 ambush and the Tomb 3 clusterfuck. Anything that can get decent EV should consider swords purely for riposte.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
I haven't fired the game up again since I 15 runed for the first time about a week ago. I'm thinking of starting to play again but I know if I tried to jump back in immediately after winning I'd burn out and throw away good characters trying to kill a bat or something.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Its a good survey and the perfect platform for pushing for CRAB RACE.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Note that if you run into jorgrun and can't get out of his LOS he will kill you dead quicker than you thought possible.

Speleothing posted:

Is that a new Sprint map?

No, I mean crabs as a race.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Why does sandblast still require you to be wielding the rocks to get the benefit? I'd thought it'd have gone the same way as sticks to snakes but apparently not.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
FR: replace emperor scorpions with TSAR CRABBAs.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Give them innate riposte that kicks in when an attack does no damage due to armor.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

I liked the idea of someone yelling at their own OoD though

I definitely yell at my own OoD when donald reflects it back.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Terrain mimics.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Whats the experimental god do?

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

IronicDongz posted:

vaults is not bad until vaults 5, which is really bad

Vaults 5 is when the game stops kidding around and kills you deader than dead if you aren't prepared.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010

Archenteron posted:

A crab race would require a facing mechanic: crabs move slowly "forward" and "backwards", normal speed on diagonals, and fast on the horizontals.

Give them a thing where after the crab has moved 10 (However many) spaces in one direction they get a small movespeed boost to represent the crab turning sideways and scuttling in the right direction.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
You've got a little mana left, you'll be fine.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
The only problem with that is you will absolutely have to fight the entirety of V5 on the stairs, which is really seriously dangerous if a couple ancient lichs show up at the same time.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
What level are the vault guards showing up? They're not really tough post D13 but if they're showing up before about D12 that seems odd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
Considering that's clear as mud, yeah.

• Locked thread