Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Would be better if that enchanted flail was venom though, just to really hammer home how much crawl wants you to die.

A mostly symbolic gesture for a gargoyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So I just ran a HOMo of Ieoh Jian, holy poo poo that was one of the most absurd and beautiful things I've experienced in crawl. I loving loved it. Crazy strong but not broken really. Kind of like a mix of Usk and Hep. I really hope they make it to Trunk without getting nerfed much if any.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

Can't evoke that rod lest people get poisoned.

It's TSO that hates poison, Zin is perfectly fine with it.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Carcer posted:

Is cerebov considered to be the hardest pan lord?

He used to be, before they gave Lom Lobon a glaciate that hits way harder than player glaciate can. And tornado. And a self heal.

Lom is a dick.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

So blinking can put you into flaming clouds. That's rather dickish. Also, if there's one thing I'm thankful for with regards to the removal of RMsl as a spell it's that I have the spell levels free earlier to learn blink on wizards without delaying getting meph and conj flame.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I really wish monks had quarterstaves as a starting weapon option.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Elf isn't that bad once you know what you're doing, and it becomes almost trivial once you have your first two runes and have done either vaults 1-4 or depths.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Odd, my scoring page hasn't updated since early August. I know I've had games in that time, the player score rank list has a game from Monday as my most recent.

E: Seems it's been resolved. If there was human intervention involved, thank you.

Akett fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 22, 2017

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Yes it does, that's where I've been playing it.

E: Unless you mean for that bugfix, then I'm dumb.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Playing GnSk of Ash is the most fun I've had in this game in years, which is amazing because I'd never had any fun playing skalds before this. Having all options is freeing like you wouldn't believe, but it's still up to you to use them right. After I win a skald I want to play an arcane marksman, which is a goddamn accomplishment. Hell, I think I want to win every class in the game as a gnoll just to get them out of the way.

This is exactly what I've wanted Crawl to feel like forever and never knew. I don't know if I can go back. If they nerf gnolls into the ground I may weep tears of blood.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Gnolls aren't stupid strong, they are just so ridiculously versatile that if you know what you're doing you can leverage way higher above your weight class than you expect. When a Gnoll worships Ash they do get kind of really silly, like they don't have a midgame hump.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

LogicNinja posted:

e: Who's won a Gnoll yet? How do you handle lategame?

I loaded up on int and threw firestorms. I went with Ash, so it might not apply with most other gods.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

IIRC that was a one time glitch and it's not worth the trouble to go into the database to re-score properly.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

God, if I could be assed to learn coding I would totally try to add silly spell ideas I have.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

Like what? There's always the chance someone here might be bored over Christmas week. *cough*

They're more kind of thought experiments on what sort of balancing would be needed to get cool ideas at least not instantly shut down by the current devs, or they're the result of trying to find new design space from combinations of spell schools. I guess at the least opening them to discussion is better than me sitting on them forever.

First up is wanting to have a player castable blink bolt. This is easily the one I've put the most thought into. So there's the monster spell that's already in the game, and you can cast it in wizard mode, complete with the camera following the bolt. The monster version requires a target and the range is to the edge of LOS and if it hits a wall it bounces like shock or lightning bolt. This is kind of extremely strong and it's completely understandable why the monster version isn't in the hands of the player, it's way more predictable than normal balance allows for translocation spells even with a spell level over passage of Golubria. I feel the targeting and the linearity are a vital part of the flavor and can also be a solid limiting factor due to enemies moving in ways the player can't control, so my proposal is to randomize how far the player travels along the line because that fits the design space of both translocations in general and electric spells in terms of targeting. Roll a dice equal to the amount of free spaces in the range and if the target enemy wouldn't get hit on the resulting line have the animation go to the edge of the range and back to the landing square and double zap the enemy. This means there's some choice and skill involved in the spell, the enemy is more likely to get double zapped the further away from you they are (and at the maximum range it's guaranteed) and the closer they are the more likely you're going to end up on the other side of them. If there's no free space along the line due to enemies then have all of them get double zapped and don't move the player, but make that the only case where the player doesn't move when casting. The average damage per single zap should be less than a single cast of static discharge. Obviously it shouldn't be able to target an elec resisting enemy, if one is on the other side of a valid target have it count as the max range. The initial idea was to make a level 4 spell to fit the gap in the book of air that airstrike later filled, but level 5 like the monster spell might be a decent fit. I don't want it to be a no-brainer spam it for damage spell, more of something where it's fiddly but can be used with skill for great effect. I think it would work in the books of air and the warp, or the books of spatial translocations and the sky, or maybe even just keep it as a mid/high level spell and have it in the books of the warp and the sky, all depending on where it fits best but I don't think it should be in more than one starting book.

Everything else is half-assed in comparison.

Two turn/action time stop! Level 9 Enchantments/Hexes spell. Perhaps make it exhaust you after you use it or hurt you if you cast it too many times in quick succession, say it's because you start to feel the weight of the world as you use it more. Though there's already kind of an upper limit in place on how much you can cast it just on sheer mana cost, even with ways to refill it. Mostly gimmicky.

I kind of wanted an earth/ice spell where icicles (made of frozen groundwater maybe? Call it groundwater spears?) erupt from the ground and pin an enemy in place, like netting them but with a chance to do a bit of damage if they break free. Perhaps make the spell work like several throw icicles and/or stone arrows in terms of damage and targeting, with a certain number needing to hit for the pin to happen. Flying enemies can get an evasion bonus and can't get pinned, but they still take full damage. Creatures with higher HD get better chances to break free. Spell level 6 or 7. Smite targeted, but with a maximum range of 4 or 5.

So when I was taking my time to get my thoughts together for this post I wanted to mention that I know it's kind of a nerd trap to try to make a spell for every combination of two spell schools, even if the spells feel unique every school would feel homogeneous because it has a combo with everything else. I tried to come up with an example for a school combo that didn't really need to happen and I thought of earth/necromancy. Then I was like "Wait, there's actually a cool flavorful idea if done right! You kill and poison the land and everything suffers around you!" After that I didn't want to try to come up with another combination to use as an example.

Anyway, level 5 or 6, maybe even 7 Necromancy/Poison/Earth. Call it wasteland, or land of death, or blight land, there's a lot of potential names. For a duration of like 20 or more turns you infuse the ground with death and decay. Living creatures should get sick and weak. Clouds of miasma and poison roil across your view. Plants wither. Water loses color and spectral mist wafts above it (spectral things, if any, should be neutral to everything). Lava takes on the grey of surface pyroclastic flow and sulfur (Mephitic I guess) clouds vent from it. Even the mere act of walking can cause the ground to give way and hurt whoever is moving (make it like stepping in a blade trap or a one turn net trap). All of these things should be part of a result of the land protesting against you, and even Qazlal shouldn't be able to prevent the clouds from affecting you. After the effect ends make it take like another 50 turns before the spell can be cast again, I guess flavor it as you can't do it again or the whole floor might start to give way and collapse completely. I gotta be honest, I think I might have gotten the kernel of this idea from talking to someone in my chat while playing at one point and forgotten about the details, so I just kind of filled poo poo in off the top of my head.

I have some other spell ideas, but a lot are like "Hey, what about a spell school where you write magic circles/arrays in the air or on the ground that power up or increase the efficiency of your spells, or give you access to spells you wouldn't otherwise be able to cast." Needs a lot more meat to the idea.

cheetah7071 posted:

At one point I looked into how easy it'd be to implement the unique King Krab which is a crab that comes with a pack of other crabs, breaths random breath, and drops the unrand +2 Krab Krown {rCloud} but I couldn't even figure out how to make a unique come with a pack even trying to use Louise as an example

Did you try checking how Azrael and Sojobo do it?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, haha, derp, I don't think I played WJC since before they were added to trunk, just haven't played any characters where they fit what I was doing. I was kind of more thinking of specifically a JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure reference, and also it was kind of a thought experiment to have it as a spell instead of tethering it to a god. My initial version kind of had the idea of it starting as just two turns and going up as far as five with enough spell power, because again JoJo's reference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Considering people need to have an account here and a post in this thread for their votes in the poll to count that's a problem that can be solved easily. :justpost:

• Locked thread