Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Yeah remove Tengu so I don't have to finish them on my decade quest for greaterplayer.

Also Ogre M&F apt went from 3 to -1. That's a drastic shift. Just as incredible are the spellschools all went from -3 to -1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

At this point we could rename Deep Elves to Elves since they are The One True Elf Race. They survived the purges!

Real talk, I have no qualms about this, only bemusement.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

If you want to GSC, maybe. Use polearms or staves as your weapon-and-forget choice.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Carcer posted:

Can anything other than Ogres and giant type enemies actually wield GC/GSC? They're sort of ogre's "cultural" weapons and suddenly sucking in them is weird.

Trolls can at -1 but you are influenced by their Claws and Unarmed apt of 0 to not go in that direction. I think Formicids used to early in their development but it was dropped pretty quickly.

Also reminder that -1 is actually the average, not 0. It may be useful to rescale the numbers again so that bias against negative numbers doesn't influence player choices.

EDIT: After taking a look at the overall aptitudes again, this above statement is wrong.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ugly John posted:

Yes, we'll acknowledge that this change is bad for the game and that the game is worse off for it, get called whiny children yet again by the devteam that so graciously deigns to grace us with their presence, and nothing good will come of it.

But hey, at least this time there's one positive aspect to it: gently caress elves.

You're right, we got Octopodes and Felids out of this deal. :v:

(And Formicids)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Isn't the nostalgia branch still kicking around?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Guys the king hybrid nowadays is Merfolk. :colbert:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

I'm over crab meme

No sidestepping the issue here, you either froth with us or be scuttled.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Jelly couldn't eat it anyway, it's a unrandart. All (un)randarts are safe from predation.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

AE puts you in melee range to deal the most damage which isn't the greatest play for squishy mages. Zap can miss and Static Discharge is pricey for spamming it early game. Then Swiftness is such that you can't really cast it in preparation for handling an enemy so you're ready to bail because of the movement speed penalty after it wears off. So if things do go poorly, you need to be prescient and cast it just before things go wrong or you cross your fingers and hope the extra turn after getting reamed doesn't get you killed.

Compare that to IE which has similar play in melee range and you have Freeze not being able to miss and Ozu's Armour giving you some protection. And then the other schools have better ranged choices which lets you more easily tell when to back off before an enemy can get to kill you (ie. don't let them get adjacent!).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Because it wouldn't be not-Tolkien. :v:

Also of all the unique entities in Abyss the only Demonic ones are Apocalypse Crabs (the rest are non-living!). And I don't think we want to remove those. Otherwise we would have words.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Carcer posted:

So, dpeg's ideal version of crawl is sprint?

If that is the case, then I am the best winner; I submit as evidence the only time that we had tournament points riding on a Sprint I was the first finisher.

The top 3 were all Spriggans. And I think all three of us were Enchanters too. Ideal! :v:

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, 0.7 release so this was well before Qazlal. Newest god was Jivya!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I definitely remember ankus but then again I'm wildly not part of the main demographic of Crawl; I've been around from the 0.3.4 days.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Most people carefully evade that question by calling them bullhooks or elephant goads. :v:

But the correct answer is ankuses.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

I have not won as many games in these current versions than older ones. Q.E.D.

(Let's just paper over the fact that I do not spend as much time with the game these days and my win percentage hasn't really changed much from its abysmal >2%)

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

tweet my meat posted:

What are some good general tips for getting a skald going?

Don't worry about being awesome with Charms in the early game, mostly focus on your weapon skills so you can kill dudes without taking a lot of time. After all if they are at range you have a couple turns to cast and hopefully get through high failure rates. Train Spellcasting only if you're needing spell slots, you have enough MP through gaining levels to cast your buffs. Once you're in midgame you're basically free to hybridize however you'd like.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i can't say that i'm all that against the change, really. rods always existed in a weird place where you had to wield them directly which made them more annoying to use than wands, and the small handful of varieties always seemed kind of stale. the more interesting ones were turned into wands, so it's fine by me.

That and it was rather difficult to find a decent rod you would want to burn recharge scrolls on. Iron rods and shadows were probably the most consistent of the bunch and even then they would be used up in at most 3 castings when fully enchanted. They did have rather neat effects and it's good that those ones are preserved, barring rods of ignition. Maybe transform Bolt of Magma to do that instead?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Call it the Crown of Torment Eternal, mind you, otherwise the other devs will catch on. :ssh:

Sword of Power might be alright if it had a min enchantment or differently scaled so that having half HP (a la torment) isn't generally an automatic halving of the enchantment.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

There's a number of ways to accept ideas. Hint: Your approach is dysfunctional.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

"The orc is OGRECOME WITH RAGE!"

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The next best spell school for stabbers is Summoning. They give you a way for a distract stab and the higher tiers can handle Zot (Shadow Creatures, Summon Horrible Things are good spells to aim for). Alternatively you harness your short blade skill investment to jump-start Long Blade and go full hybrid.

Reminder that Naga can all see invisible. And Greater Naga are immune to magic.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Remember to burn your enchant armour and enchant weapons to at least +5 for your body armour and weapon!

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It was what, 90% chance to not disenchant at +4 for a successful corrosion hit? +5 gave immunity.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Smash altars, forever get that god's wrath but because your god-like aura is much bigger than normal mortals they have a harder time pinpointing your exact position. So occasionally enemies within LOS get targeted by the wrath by mistake.

XOM thinks it is rather lame so they won't play with you.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Crypt as ant is rough because you can't dig yourself a murder-hole like you normally could. Same with Vaults. You're stuck suffering the marks and torment of the various nasty hexers that live in those areas.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

silentsnack posted:

How about letting them train past the cap (but keep effective level locked at 14) and give a racial ability that temporarily lets them use full power, but uses are very limited (along the lines of felid revives or somesuch)

Pop a Scooby Snack and you can unleash Firestorm/etc, for (sqrt(100+d(XL*10))) turns.

That's a neat idea. Mine would have been to let the player annihilate one (or more) of their skills to let them past the cap of another random skill. Gets past the "uncapped useless skill" somewhat and doesn't let the user influence it too much.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Fhqwhgads posted:

I'm rolling along with a GrEE^Chei and have Snake in my game. My only offensive spells right now are LRD, Fireball, Iron shot, and IMB. I'm worried I don't have enough CC options should I get overwhelmed with guys on screen. Would Meph Cloud or Toxic Radiance help with CC options here? Or are my current options + slouch enough to get by? What else should I be looking for to survive Snake?

Edit: Or Bolt of Magma or Venom Bolt? I don't have a bolt spell right now but can learn either if need be.

Crowd Control typically means ways of slowing down enemies so only one or two are dealing damage at a time. That's typically hexes and blocking lines of sight/path in the case of Crawl. Toxic Radiance does not do any of that. Nor does the bolt spells. Meph Cloud does but you're going into Snake that sort of prevents that use against half of the enemies there.

I think what you're asking is if you have enough Area of Effect options available to kill off lots of enemies in a short time period in case of swarms. In this case yes, LRD, Fireball and Slouch are enough to get by.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Remove royal jellies before pizza tbh

FR: Bees are now baker bees and make delicious pizza in their hives/ovens

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

You could make skills able to climb above 14 but decay back down to 14 over time.

You want to bring back victory dancing, then? Because I can't see an intuitive way to determine what skills to drain beyond ">14 and haven't used it in the past x turns." And if it's purely lockstep "after x number of turns decay by amount if >14" you would just keep everything locked in as being trained and either not be able to creep past 14 (if the decay is strong) or slowly build up past it (decay is weak).

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

rCorr is more of a suggestion than a guideline for blaster mages, however. Making things disappear in a blaze of magic in a couple turns mean they have no chance to melt you!

Also no, I'm far more happy seeing a shining eye than a wretched star. However if we're talking taking its gaze and converting it to temp muts then yes, I'll agree to that change.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

PotatoManJack posted:

Maybe I should hit up Tartarus or start trawling through Pan. Any suggestions on which is the next easiest place to go?

I like Pan then Hell before Abyss because usually there's going to be a monster that'll banish you along the way to get all eight runes. May as well get it done then and not have to make a trip specifically for it. And Pan is a lot more friendly in letting you find quiet corners to heal up; hell effects sort of prevent that.

It's purely personal preference though and I wouldn't poo poo doing Tartarus next. Dis can be surprisingly bursty between Iron Dragons and Iron Giants, along with Sentinels being hard to kill and willing to hellfire. Then you have Gehenna which as a plane of fire kind of reduces Firestorm's effectiveness.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

The significant drawback is that blade hands has a hefty spellcasting penalty while transformed. Generally you'll be pre-buffing before blade hands so it's not too important then (and it's less of a problem than being berserk is!) but if you're relying on say Controlled Blink to get you out of a mess you might have to rely on consumables instead.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

It is when you personally take the time to end every vault guard one at a time using vi keys without an axe.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

FoFi..Foom!

It's only half damage from fire for the first tick of rF. I'm surprised you didn't drink resistance to bring down potential damage further regardless of your mutation existing, since there is the potential for a lot of overlapping explosions in the same turn if you aren't careful.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Hey I got a nice SpEN of Dithmenos going, can you guys remind me of the maximum skill levels to stop things at, and also give a reminder of key utility spells to go for, I'm not a complete scrub but I ain't played in like 3 years so I need reminding on details.

12 for Short Blades to minimize all types. Stealth I would soft cap at ~8 to start and add more into it as feels necessary. Hexes is bumped until Invisibility is safely castable, then Spellcasting to bring up to make level 3 to maybe level 4 spells hungerless; you're going to be spamming Confuse and Dazzling Spray for anything that can't be EH. Dodging until EV is at a comfortable level; I like 20 as a nice round number to strive for though if you weren't a Spriggan 18 would be an acceptable first stop.

Basically your entire starting book is worthwhile aside from Corona (because you can see invisible and you're Dex score is already high enough for the accuracy boost to not be necessary). Try to find a source of invisibility. If you find it in ring form, train Evocations until you have better than 50% chance of success. You don't need it as heavily as the Hexes version because failing just burns a trivial amount of hunger and you're going to be using it out of sight of a potential sleeper for stabs. Once you've got your core you can either hybridize up into Long Blades, work your way into Summons with Shadow Creatures being your go-to 3-rune spell of choice, or Invo/Evo depending on god and found tools.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

You forget the stereotypical basilisk that shows up around Lair? That's an MR check though, like Jorgrun's spell.

Also this is a reminder that Hell effects come from spell school miscasts. That huge glow of contamination comes from the schools Hexes, Charms and two flavours in Transmutations: 0 up to 18 for all four, up to 34! if you get unlucky in the second source in Transmutations. For comparison, yellow glow kicks in between 5 and 15. There's a fourth school that can provide glow (Translocations) but Hell effects disallow it from being used as a miscast source.

Petrification, obviously, comes from Earth magic which can ONLY occur in Dis.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Brendan Rodgers posted:

e: On the subject of Wz hybrids, who would be the closest replacement for a HEWz hybrid with Long Swords and a bunch of utility spells?

HuWz. HaWz (favouring Charms and Translocations). Barachian Wizard (trunk only). MfWz. DrWz. Joke option Vampire Wizard.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Heh, for someone who "retired" you have been putting in a number of quality of life patches. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Nah, least with an arrow you can pick it up (if you aren't under fire from centaurs!). A corpse, now that will clog up a door until it decays and barring some form of Necromancy there is nothing you can do about it!

• Locked thread