Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Room for one more in City Name Crawl Team? I'm 'offering' on CAO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler
Dear Haifisch & City Name Crawl Team,

Thanks for inviting me to your team. I had intended to contribute a few ascensions, but instead I'm going to spend most of my free time working with a group of like-minded individuals who are unhappy with the US election results. Please feel free to replace me.

You've all performed spectacularly so far and I'm sure you'll make a good show of it.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

In all my days of crawl, this is the first time a staircase has dumped me right in the middle of hellion island.

A non-Formicid could just blink scroll onto that portal, but I'm going to have to come up with something else.

Option A: Fly over the lava and run along the NW wall (it's blue like deep water but it's actually a pan wall). Can read a fog scroll or two along the way to reduce damnations, but blurry vision makes that a bit less valuable. Pretty sure this is a losing plan, since 11 damnations is enough to put me down and it would take me about 8 turns to break LoS (put on flight ring, evoke flight, read fog with blurry vision 1, walk 4 squares NW). I would need each hellion to have less than 1/8 odds of deciding to cast damnation.

Option B: Get right into melee and spam the poo poo out of Cleansing Flame. Damnation is 3d15 (EV is 24), smite-targeted and irresistible. A hellion outside melee range that doesn't have an empty square to move into will probably call it down, regardless of its buddies being inside the blast. Now, that pan lord doesn't resist damnation. Maybe getting into melee with it will protect me. The hellions could still smite-target the square behind me, but a scroll of fog might make that harder. If I could position Godeli on one side and the Hellephant on the other, I might really be able to trick the hellions into holding back damnation, at least until the hellephant catches a holy wrath cleave and blinks away. I don't need a whole lot of time to wipe them out with holy wrath cleaves and cleansing flame spam, but they don't need a lot of time to kill me, either. In fact they could do it in one turn if just 3/4 of them decide to cast.

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

I really thought I was dead, but TSO's cleansing flame shredded the entire herd in three applications.

First move was right one square to try to get into contact with the pan lord. This worked. There were three monsters that could have moved into the adjacent square. I wanted the pan lord or the hellephant, did not want the hellion. My luck held.

Second move I considered reading fog, but decided to cleansing flame instead to see how much health it would take off the hellions. Turns out it kills them in two shots at 23 invocations.

I actually got trough this without eating a single damnation - being adjacent to the pan lord seems to have cut it off, though I guess it's possible that they were just too busy moving into freshly-emptied squares.

Thanks for the advice!

perfluorosapien
Aug 15, 2015

Oven Wrangler

Does anyone know how I can get past this? Disintegration wands do nothing. There are no other accessible stairs on the level.

I guess I'm supposed to scum pan until I can cast LRD?

edit: Scumming Pan to train Earth magic worked. Ascended with all 15 runes on my FoFi of TSO! That is now my second most-splatted combo after OpTm.

perfluorosapien fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Nov 25, 2017

• Locked thread