Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Hi, I just wanted to pop into say draconian shifters are just the bestest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
sometimes you should just go back up the stairs

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I started a DsTm and got claws, but I had to spend a lot of time resting due to a stupid amount of worms and adders and this was the result:

I am on D2. I appreciate that people dawdle sometimes, but 4 killer bees on D2?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Hey PFungus, thanks for the sweet robe of night drop in your salty ruins - it goes really nice with Nightstalker 3:

If you are four squares away now you might as well be on the other side of the dungeon. If I can get Darkness will my LOS drop to 2?

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm really bad at flimsy races and pure casters, but deep elf enchanter of Chei is really good. Their +3 hexes aptitude means basically everything gets confused.

Deep Elfses are excellent enchanters.New players should shy away from Chei, playing Chei doesn't teach you anything except how to play Chei. Dith will double 50% of your hex casts, Hep with the hexer is outstanding but your hp will suck.

If you want an easy start, go MiFi with a war axe, manual skills, turn on fighting, *axe, dodging, armor. Take Mahk or Uksa as a god and forget you have them. All stat ups into STR, get the heaviest armour and biggest axe you can find, toss the shield soon as you find a battleaxe or better. Clear D1-D11 then go to Lair. Clear D12 if you haven't found a battleaxe. If you can't find a flaming axe for hydrae, grab a good enchanted flail or dire flail, you should get plenty from wights.

If you are going mage, DEFE is a way easier start than Wz. Wz is all over the place and has no depth, you will have to count on Vehumet or great luck. Wz is really more a start for melees who want meph and blink and rmsl. DEFE has the damage to clear orc plus conjure flame which just about guarantees you are controlling most encounters. Just turn on SC, Conj, and Fire magic, go vehumet, that will get you through Lair, branch into Earth or Ice eventually for fire resistant baddies, take battlesphere if it comes up.

tweet my meat posted:

How debilitating is a negative aptitude? I want to use a polearm with my HEWi to get the most out of conjure flame, but i have a -2 aptitude. Can I still use it with reasonable effectiveness or will I be completely crippled?

Use a longbow. Have you taken a look at your bow apt?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Also a question: I have Statue Form on a Ds with Claws but Oka just gave me this:
code:
the +12 crystal plate armour of Honour {rC+ Int+3 Dex+4 Slay+6}.
Statform is insane but so is that plate and I have a manual of armour. Should I wear that armour and forget statform? Go chei and have both?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
There's a reason my little three sentence melee guide up there spends one of its sentences on how to kill a hydra.

On thing I've noticed in the last couple releases is that hand crossbows are really good and if you find an early one are a nice option for ranged with a shield.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I was spectating Manman who is on a four streak and rocking a mino with 50 AC and 255hp.

He's in the X map and forgets that > can select trap doors and....

...he was on Zot 4 when it happened.

I didn't think I'd ever seen someone so screwed until I saw how his first teleport went:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

World Famous W posted:

Edit: poo poo, I could have been happy at leaving maces at +1. Ogres are a hard enough start with no armor and bad dodging without taking away the ability to get a great club up and going so you can use offense as a defense.

This. Race is absolutely crippled for melee now. Offense was their defense, having a big hp pool and being able to kill poo poo before it could erode it.

Microcline posted:

As a relatively new player, can someone explain the appeal of sludge elves? I looked at their apts and I can't tell how they're not just mermaids with an OC donut steel name.

+3 transmut. The reason to play a sludge elf was to be a SeSt and train transmute using fulsome distillation and evaporate to trivialize the early game with meph and poison clouds (and if you got lucky, miasma from potions of decay) until you found more transmute spells. For example, you could pretty much clear the Hive with a pile of potions of poison and strong poison.

20.0 isn't special. This vigesimal generation, like usual, thinks they are the first one to see things removed.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Race idea: Kirby Slimes. Corrosive branded unarmed, can't wield weapons, CAN wear armor and jewelry but it is automatically melded. No hp regen, has to eat items for sustenance and healing. Can change forms and gain temporary powers based on the last few things it's eaten. Form changes can cause armor and jewelry to unmeld.

No orb run, your goal is to eat the orb. This takes 100 turns and when you are done an exit appears. Either that or eating the orb gives you an OOF form.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

A god that only allows you to proceed downwards and never back up stairs. Has an ability that lets you go back to the very first floor at the cost of everything.

See, you are probably saying that as satire or others are thinking this is satire. But just in case you didn't know, this has already been proposed, coded, given an experimental branch on CBRO, playtested, and abandoned. 2 years ago.

I give you Wulndraste the Wayfarer (God of No Backtracking).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

brainwrinkle posted:

It's really silly to have Ogre enemies nearly universally carry Great Clubs or Great Spiked Clubs and have the player class have a negative aptitude.

At +3 it takes 14,500 skill xp to hit minimum delay on a GSC. Twice that at -1.

It now takes so much more xp to get your GSC below 1.0 delay that you could have taken Fighting from 12 to 22. And by the time you hit min delay you could have also taken Dodging from 10 to 16-17.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
When you get a battlemage pet by D3 thanks to one of those random god altars, what do you call him?

update: throw icicle confirmed as being effective against frilled lizards and rats...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Aumanor posted:

You have a typo in 0.16 there, mate.

You mean the only release with shadow traps?

Internet Kraken posted:

Statue form with hat of the alchemist is about as easy as extended gets.

I have a demonspawn right now with statform and that hat along with Shield of Resistance and Brooch of Shielding. Also Robe of Vines so I can have regen+++++++ whenever I want while still being able to heal while fighting. With claws 3 and ignite blood.

Unfortunately also with Black Mark, the WORST demonspawn power. 20% chance to apply weakness, draining, or antimagic on a melee attack. As opposed to forms and weapons that provide draining or antimagic on every single attack. AND it's a weak-rear end drain (power 10 vs 20-35 for a drain brand) and weak-rear end antimagic (1/4 the power of an AM brand). AND it doesn't activate unless you do damage!

Now it USED to have vampirism as well, which made it borderline OP, and I know that had to go. But antimagic is completely worthless unless it's on every swings. So every 1 in maybe 10-15 swings depending on your melee and their AC, you get to apply a lovely drain or a 25% melee damage debuff to a single monster. From your Tier 3 capstone power.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Dec 17, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

PleasingFungus posted:

oh, that's a good idea! while we're talking about bringing back removed content, why not bring back shadow traps?

c'mon, let's get a petition together.

You're not thinking big enough. Why just traps? Why not add the shadow trap effect to mimics, they need something now! Why not have boggarts randomly lay shadow traps?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

The main problem is that people like to recommend FE as the training wheels class, when its startbook gives you no options except "kill it with fire" and "fart out a fire cloud and hope your enemy stays away from you." The other elemental schools give you startbooks with options that make your life a lot easier, even if you have to think a tiny bit more than "aim spell at thing".

Cj gets Battlesphere for MP efficiency, Dazzling Spray as an early multitarget spell that also debuffs the target, and Prism as crowd control. It's also really easy to branch out from, since most damaging spells are partially Conj.
IE gets Ozoarmor to make up for typically-lovely caster AC, Ice Beasts to distract enemies and act as meatshields, and Throw Icicle to deal with rC enemies. It's good as a hybrid start, but it also works well as a blaster start.
AE gets rMsl, Swiftness for emergency exits, Static Discharge as insane crowd control, and Lightning Bolt as an early bolt spell.
EE is weird. People seem to like it, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it as a training wheels caster option. It just plays really oddly compared to other caster starts.

It's because FE offers unparalleled control and escape compared to any other starting caster other than Wz.

Cj has dazzling spray but it can be resisted.
IE has no escape, maybe once you get ice beasts online they can block. Hope you didn't need that XP you invested in summoning.
Swiftness is very useful, but you have to play an AE. Don't play an AE.
EE has no escape, maybe Petrify which is expensive, resistable, and requires investment in transmutations.

Meanwhile, FE and Wz have that "fire fart" which has no resist and will either keep an enemy off you while you nuke it, or cause it to sit in flames. It kills just about any undead and many other stupid monsters in a single cast. It's a level 3 spell that retains usefulness and damage through Vaults/Crypt due to its duration and the control it provides.

Add Sticky Flame which is by far the best point blank spell of all the starting books and will reliably kill poo poo all the way through Orc in 1-2 casts. It couldn't be more training wheels. Conjure Flame undead and anything you don't want to get to you, sticky flame anything that has the audacity to attack you in melee.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
quote!=edit

The other part is you need to go Vehumet so you are pretty much guaranteed a non-fire option by the time you need it. Otherwise like VM or AE, FE can get very dicey.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Passwall is great but DEEE traditionally have issues surviving the 2-4 turns of doing nothing but hugging the wall asking it to be your friend.

AE is mainly stuff like gargoyles, statues, electric eels that can show up in the early game and are a huge pain to deal with. Even stuff like sun demons, god help you if an orc priest busts one of those out.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Dec 17, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

SirSamVimes posted:

You can bring back shadow traps if you give us rmut back.

No. No deal. This has to be seconded and voted on and even then I'm going to claim Russia hacked the results.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Actually, I find lightning bolt quite nice for hydras since it can one shot them a fair bit of the time. That's where it really shines, against very nasty single targets when you can set up a bounce.

Lbolt accuracy is 7+pow/40, compared to 8+pow/20 for level 5 bolts and 8+pow/25 for level 6. Damage is also 1 die vs 3-6 for any other spell. This makes it horribly unreliable. Feels great to one-shot but low accuracy and high variability of damage are not ideal against something that can shred you in two turns.

Lair is especially bad because most levels are large and pretty open. It can take a while to set up a bounce and it's hard to avoid losing range doing so. Other bolts' noise is equivalent to spell level at origin and terminus so noise stays close to LOS (noise level * 1.176 in distance). Fireball and Meph do 15, but only at their target square. Lightning bolt does 25 at the origin and 25 at the terminus. This creates two sources that are as loud THROUGH A WALL as fireball or max piety Qazlal.

All this movement and noise attracts attention. In Lair this means Spiny Frogs, Blink Frogs, Moccasins, and Mambas - all common, all speed 14, all 60% movement delay in water (which hydrae also have). These guys are all deadly as gently caress to most casters and hard to escape with swiftness in big open levels with little chance to break LOS. Then there are Killer Bees, Wolves, Wyverns - all speed 15-20.

Lightning bolt is "quite nice" for Hydrae the same way Chei makes you feel "quite powerful". Meanwhile fireball/sticky flame, throw icicle, and battlesphere/IMB/dart all take them out quite nicely. Even stone arrow, it might take 5-6 casts but at least you won't invite half the goddamn level to the party.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Smiling Knight posted:

You are a hybrid class. To get value out of your summons, you need to wading into melee with them. So train a weapon (polearms!) skill and buff up your defense.
Strongly resist the urge to dip into conjurations. They are not helpful with what you're trying to do. Your mana should be spent on more meatshields, not blasting.
Ash and Chei are both solid god choices, because they support hybridization. Sif is also good, because she ensures you get those strong but rare mid/late game summon spells: tentacle, monstrous menagerie (wait did that get removed?), haunt, and so on.

Alternatively:
You are not a hybrid class. To get value of your summons, you need to let them melee. Do not train a weapon. Do not buff up your defense. Definitely dip into conjurations if you have strong apts for conj or an element. They are very helpful with what you are trying to do. Your mana should be spent on blasting when you are not summoning. Ash and Chei are terrible choices because they offer no mana return or regen. Sif is ideal, because she offers mana return, miscast protection, emergency casting, and guaranteed high level summons.

Ideally, you train nothing but spellcasting, summons, and invocations through lair with token amounts to defenses. This lets you cast menagerie and hydra by the time you hit lair branches. Around that time try to get fighting to 10 and enough dodging/gear to have EV in the high 20s. Get conjuration if you want to be a caster and weapon/hexes if you want to hybridize. You have time, high level summons will crush deep D, lair vaults, and Vaults.

edit: to be clear, not crapping on the idea of Ash/hybridization but the "pure summoner" is also highly viable. But don't play Chei as a beginner. Playing Chei will not teach you the game. It will cause you to massively devalue some threats and massively overestimate others when playing any other god.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 17, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Here is a tip if you see runed or shiny quicksilver dragon armor it's cursed.

Are you guys ready to hate my new OpWz yet?
code:
Found 3 scrolls labeled RAFETE TIDU.
_K - 3 scrolls labeled RAFETE TIDU
 As you read the scroll labeled RAFETE TIDU, it crumbles to dust.
 This is a scroll of acquirement!
_Something appears before you!
_L - a clouded turquoise ring
 You feel clever.
_L - the ring "Decoqits" (right tentacle) {rC+ Int+2}
 As you read the scroll of acquirement, it crumbles to dust.
_M - a diamond ring
_M - a ring of see invisible (on tentacle)
_K - a flickering bone ring
_K - the ring "Wifi" (on tentacle) {Wiz *Corrode rElec rPois Stlth+}
I'm on D8. Of course, my only damage spells are Magic Dart and Flame Tongue going into Lair...

If you're in town stay with my Op he's got really good Wifi...

edit: STILL ON D8!

code:
Found 2 scrolls of acquirement.
_g - 2 scrolls of acquirement
_N - a sapphire ring
 You feel stronger.
_N - a +2 ring of strength (left tentacle)
_g - an ivory ring
 g - a ring of protection from fire (on tentacle)
Five. Five scrolls of acquirement. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Also Misfortune and Young Poisoner's. Does Yara's Unravelling work on monsters poisoned with Olgreb or just the caster? Does it work on confusion applied by meph? Anyone ever use it? It seems situational.

Araganzar fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 18, 2016

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Araganzar posted:

Five. Five scrolls of acquirement. AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

So I got a treasure trove on D10 that wanted 7 pots of Haste. That is usually a devil's bargain for a pode but by shoals 4 I had 7 haste pots and a wand of haste.

So what the hell, let's try this trove out:

Ahahaha

Ahahahahhaaha

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Carcer posted:

Are all the rings cursed?

No but mainly stuff like rc+ int+2. That's like the extra enchantment the guy throws on to get you out of the shop.

You'll be happy to hear the amulets were harm, randart harm, and gourmand.

Goal here is to see how high I can get INT. It would be great to get to triple digits or even to the stat cap of 125, but it's gonna take a good bit of luck and/or a few zigs...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

tote up a bags posted:

I have fifteen runed once and have zero desire to do crypt or hell ever again ever.

This is my experience with crawl post game. Pan is ok because at least you can zoom through the levels kinda quickly

I agree, I just had a Ds that could have rolled extended, chat said it was a total waste to 5 rune. I thought about slogging through Tomb and Hells and just took the orb and went home.

Extended was designed to be a cherry on the sundae. Unless you are doing a challenge run or playing for score it's not challenging or interesting enough for the extra effort. It's like a guy winning a 3 lap race then taking 12 victory laps.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I'M SO FRIGGING CLOSE

Gonna have to go Chei and hit 114 I guess. Room for improvement, some 5 int rings, 2 int on hat, 0 on shield. Still can't see hitting the cap at without running a 4th zig, and I don't see that happening short of finding wucad mu.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Prism posted:

Also, Sandblast doesn't require you to wield rocks anymore but just uses them from inventory, and Mummies have a +2 spellcasting aptitude (and no other changes I can find, so they lost the ability to heal or haste themselves, I guess).

It's also a huge nerf to necromutation, since now you can't heal or haste at all. Guess a lot more people will be taking revivification or ddoor....

Poor old lich, used to haste whenever the gently caress he wanted, then he had to carry a wand and some recharge scrolls, now I guess at least he's got a little more space in his inventory and spell list!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Well, I had updated to trunk before knowing about the wand changes, so I had to cut it short.

But still, I give you the smartest little octopode there ever was.

Okay, now someone go beat that. Cap is 125. You don't have heal, haste, or tport wands anymore, good luck fuckers!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Serephina posted:

Regarding dpeg, his opinions here are to be valued, not everyone is trawling through (or even party-to) the private dev logs for trunk.

I totally agree, and I'd like to suggest people back off just a tad. dpeg is not the type to take offense but it's still unseemly.

Let me change the subject by pointing out that even though PF hates ranged Crypt 3 clearly disapproves of my skill choices thus far and would REALLY like for me to give it a try:

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
So I wanted to see how ridiculous an Op could get with Gozag in a 3-rune game and turns out pretty ridiculous.

code:
araganzar the Hoplite (Octopode Fighter)           Turns: 74176, Time: 05:14:22

Health: 208/208    AC: 34    Str: 40      XL:     27
Magic:  34/48      EV: 43    Int: 26 (27) God:    Gozag
Gold:   1423       SH: 37    Dex: 36      Spells: 0/50 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis +    a - +9 broad axe (pain)
rCold  + + .      Gourm    .    M - +6 large shield of Ignorance {rN+ AC+4 Int-6 *Curse} (curse)
rNeg   + + +      Faith    .    g - +3 crown of Dyrovepreva {rElec Int+2 SInv}
rPois  ∞          Spirit   .    W - amulet "Nokeogin" {*Drain +Rage rF+ Dex+3 Slay+3}
rElec  +          Reflect  .    R - ring of Awe {*Contam rF+ rN+ Int+7 Dex+2}
rCorr  +          Harm     .    o - ring "Gaoffot" {*Drain +Fly rF+ Int+9 Stlth-}
MR     +++..                    G - ring of Buahem {Ice rElec Str+4 Int+3}
Stlth  +++.......               B - ring "Homiogaa" {Wiz rF+ rN+ MR+ Dex+2}
                                S - ring "Pumiunuv" {MP+9 Str+3 Dex+7 Stlth-}
                                T - ring of the Crushed Wars {Int-4 Slay+4 SInv}
                                r - ring of the Octopus King {AC+1 EV+1 Str+1 Int+1 Dex+1 Stlth+}
                                p - ring "Uracw" {+Inv Str+2 Int+3 Dex+2}
I am now playing Hopkins Tree Skalds, come play one on CBRO! I will let you know how they are if I ever have a game where I find a better short or long blade than my starting +0 falchion.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Dogg you poisoned the well ages ago and very much established yourself as an rear end in a top hat who constantly points out their superiority to everyone in here even if you don't intend for that to be the case, is where the communication was hurt

This is pretty much how everyone in here perceives you, regardless of their respect as one of the devs of the game, and it was pretty much your own fault

Then it's sure funny how lately 100% of the direct insult and juvenile behavior is coming from "pretty much everyone in here" instead of the constantly superior rear end in a top hat dev.

Why take it upon yourself to speak for the crowd without mandate if all you're going to do is deliver an unproductive gently caress you to a german schoolteacher asking why so many of you appear to be so highly misanthropic? It's amusing when the playground bullies that romp around here punching arms get mortally offended by someone's lack of nuance in a second language and general failure to "get" SA. By amusing I mean sad and sucking any value out of the conversation.

I don't mean to white knight dpeg, who can certainly be a prickly gently caress when the wind is right. But for gently caress's sake, enough. The simple answer to his question is this place is full of high verbals with memories that are long on slights and short on manners. This should be obvious to anyone reading a page or two of posts on any forum. It hardly bears further dissection, especially while we live in a world where there is a frog species that CANNOT APPORT ITEMS WITH THEIR TONGUES.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

apple posted:

I've won a fair amount and knowing when and how to run away from fights is an important skill to learn and is also part of the fun, it'd be affected as part of a luring nerf and this doesn't make sense to me either. It feels like removing a puzzle piece from a jigsaw puzzle that's already fitting properly and replacing it with a different shape.

Looking up the commit it looks like each turn a monster is tracking you there is a turns/turns+500 chance of it getting "bezotted" which increases base damage, EV, AC, and speed all by 2.

A more recent commit removed energy randomization which makes sense since this essentially nerfs pillar dancing. So that's one huge plus for the system!

I see the possibility of the bezot effect using 120% increase instead but the existing calls are all the base 2. I don't like a % increase because it would make high EV, damage, or AC monsters ridiculous. To balance in mid and late game maybe the increase could be HD or level based instead? Or based on the player's XL?

I had bezotting kick in between 40-100 turns. I don't see a "grace period" before bezotting can kick in. I would suggest x_chance_in_y(turns-BEZOTTING_GRACE_PERIOD, turns-BEZOTTING_GRACE_PERIOD + 500) maybe? This would allow "good luring" (pulling with rocks, bringing a monster out of sight/sound of known peers) while still punishing "bad luring" (pillar-dancing, pulling a monster 2 screens JUST IN CASE poo poo GOES DOWN).

Also, taking stairs, teleporting, etc do not seem to turn this off. So now if I park an orc warrior because I'm not prepared to handle him, he's permanently roaming the level ten feet tall bulletproof and running 60 miles an hour. If that remains you might as well call this the "Leeroy Jenkins" commit...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
I think you just saw one of the new bedazzled lizards.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Crawl .20: Home of the Dart Slut

just sayin', that title could get some traffic...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

It's insane to me that I can't press P to pray anymore but a frilled lizard and a gnoll can get married

Make the Lair Eight Again!

Won my BaSk.

code:
1529702 araganzar the Slayer (level 27, 229/229 HPs)
             Began as a Barachian Skald on Jan 9, 2017.
             Was the Champion of Cheibriados.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes on Jan 12, 2017!
             The game lasted 08:21:34 (104173 turns).
So frogs have terrible stats? I didn't notice:
code:
Health: 229/229    AC: 36    Str: 30    XL:     27
Magic:  33/48      EV: 36    Int: 57    God:    Cheibriados [******]
Gold:   1685       SH: 20    Dex: 36    Spells: 1/51 levels left
Forgot to use hop most of the game, saved my rear end in Zot and on the orb run. Went swords and equipped a distort dagger early. Distort with spec weapon was good enough to get me my first rune. After that it was painful - aux armor was so bad I wore Lear's Hauberk for a long time. Best weapon through 2 runes, elf, and vaults 1-4 was a +2 scimitar of flaming. Ridiculous. I even had Desolation of Salt and the myrmidons must have all got their long blades from Oka. No double or triple swords generated all game and exactly one demon blade. Wound up leaning hard on Toxic Radiance (140 casts) and Ozo's Refrigeration (266 casts).

Orb run was absolutely terrifying with several Seraphs and a couple stupid pan lords with like EV or AC +++++ +++++ +++. Had one tport scroll leaving zot.

So in conclusion don't forget to hop and don't play BaSk it is a terrible, terrible combo.

I guess I should win all the Dr colors - what works well for Dr these days? Maybe a DrWr with ranged?

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
Monsters should bezot on sight of a player mummy. No sense delaying the inevitable...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

hito posted:

DrTm Chei is still really good.The breath weapon does a lot to help get out of the trough between Spider Form + minimal Chei support and Blade Hands + Cheistats.

Yeah, I was sure I had done DrTm but turns out I've just done DrMo and DrSk. The extra AC on dracs is great early if you were going to be casting anyway and then there's statform later.

I did a DrCj of Hep this time, naturally I get black scales so I get a breath weapon that fries my pet. I also had been led by webtiles chat to believe you could cast through ancestor spirits like you can through battlesphere (and there's some other summons, I forget which).

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Sage Grimm posted:

The next best spell school for stabbers is Summoning. They give you a way for a distract stab and the higher tiers can handle Zot (Shadow Creatures, Summon Horrible Things are good spells to aim for). Alternatively you harness your short blade skill investment to jump-start Long Blade and go full hybrid.

Reminder that Naga can all see invisible. And Greater Naga are immune to magic.

I find Animate Skeleton useful for getting stabs with low skill. Unless there's a ton of might potions, for Depths/V5/Zot it's really helpful to move into a demon blade or double sword. I would do that if a good one is available before investing a lot in summoning. Later on, Mana Viper / Shadow Creatures are good enough to get the job done.

Alternatively, Morg is a beast with 9-10 necromancy - why not get some necromancy? High necro pain dagger is devastating as hell. There are also tons of necro spells great for a KoEn - corpse rot, death channel, dispel undead, animate dead. Surely there is SOME necro in the game!

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Darth Windu posted:

Marijuana is illegal

You're breaking into people's homes, killing them, and taking their gold. Then you're chopping them up and eating their corpses if you happen to be hungry.

I'm not sure the minor drug possession charge is going to impact your sentence all that much. You can probably toke up.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Time to put on my randart gear so I can clear Slime.

Make sure to wear dwarf armor for the slots where you don't have any randarts! Unless you're wearing elvish body armour and the swap hurts your spell success too much...

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Thalamas posted:

Demigods should gain a set of powers as they ascend towards godhood. Sort of like Demonspawn in that they gain a random set of muts, but instead it is one of five or six fixed power sets.

I did a spec on just about this (it was an easy implement due to the mechanic already existing) and devs said they didn't like anything with power progression like Demonspawn. Also sentiment was for Demigod to remain power free. The idea of demigods gaining smite and a limited number of followers/apostles was looked on with some favor although that was before we had Hep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe
If you are Ds you hope for claws by say XL5-7 so you can go unarmed and win. Depending on your other muts you can easily win with as little as 15-16 skill.

If you are going melee and want to use a weapon or get your body facet very late (unlikely), you hope for horns which can stun. They also take away a less valuable armor slot, and until rank 3 allow the slot to be used (by a hat) while keeping the aux attack.

If you are going stabby or casty (and thus already playing non-optimally), you pray for antennae.

• Locked thread