Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID
Wait what are the Armor breakpoints?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I've never seen this before!

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I just found the +4 morningstar of Bufilior {holy, Fragile rF++ rC+++ Dex+3} in the Ice Caves. I'm a FoFi^Oka mainlining Axes, and have a +1 Battleaxe of Venom and am mid-Lair. This thing looks like a lot of fun but fragile ruins it. Is this something I can use for a while before morningstars become too weak? How far could I take this thing?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Was there a change to how rN worked on enemies, or does vampiric still not work against anything with at least one pip of rN? I just rebranded a venomous battleaxe into vampiric and feel like I should be all :getin: on this but am still hoarding my enchantment scrolls.

Edit: Or do I go all in on vampiric and then try to rebrand if I want to do extended? (obligatory assuming I survive to that point which I won't)

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I have three sources of regen (amulet, randart gloves, randart shield), do all three sources stack? And if I throw the regen spell on over that, does that stack with the other sources?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Sage Grimm posted:

All regen sources stack now. Drive it higher and higher.

Tempted to lose the amulet for a +5 amulet of reflection. Good idea/Bad idea? I'd still have 2+1 sources of regen and reflect along with rmsl and Ru's "redirection" ? Or stay with 3+1 regen and rmsl/redirect?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Carcer posted:

Amulet of reflect and a shield of some sort makes a lot of the difficult branches easier. At least a third of the Vaults ambush killed itself from getting their missiles reflected back at themselves.

Yeah I'm just doing a tanky GrFi^Ru that I finally got off the ground and am ready to do V5. My own lovely play will be the end of me though, I'm sure.

http://crawl.berotato.org/crawl/morgue/Fhqwhgads/Fhqwhgads.txt

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

According to my stat sheet, I've played this game 1,478 times, with only 15 wins going back to my first in version 0.10.0 back in (holy poo poo) 2012. Only got 14 runes because my GrFi^Ru was too scared of Tomb and at that point I wanted to just clock a win. I'm pretty terrible at this game but I keep coming back to it again and again :v:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Floodkiller posted:

It's a way to become immune to negative energy and torment on demand, at the cost of losing stairdancing. If you are a spellcaster or Makhleb or TSO worshippers it's pretty good at speeding things up, but you have to be drat well sure you can actually survive until the potion wears off.

So treeform, Ru Apocalypse (God I love that ability), eat all the death curses/torments, run upstairs to regroup when treeform runs out, repeat?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I feel like this is supposed to be an easy combo but I just can't get a NaIE (hopefully Chei but I never get that far) off the ground. I can't get more than like 4 floors down before a unique or a gnoll pack or an orc priest just destroys me. And that's not mentioning all the unarmed goblins who seem to survive every freeze cast to beat me to death on D1. How do I skill/spell this up so I can at least survive to cast Oz's Armor? Do I just grab the heaviest armor I can find to survive in the beginning?

Something is just not clicking for me. Am I supposed to focus on polearms and melee (once I find a polearm that is) or focus on my spellcasting to be a blastercaster?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

All good tips, thanks! I found a halberd of freezing and am takin' it easy with Chei, so I've started training summoning to hopefully get ice beasts castable. Haven't found much else yet. Should I train up shields since I'm a CheiNaga?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

For an 'easy' combination, I have never ascended a KoBe. I finally have one that's really picking up some steam and am ready to start rune hunting. In general, which shield is better in the long run, resistance or reflection?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Konstantin posted:

Reflection is better in the midgame, as it makes yaktaurs and centaurs kill themselves with a decent SH skill. Once you're strong enough to not worry about them switch to resistance.

Does it reflect things like dragon's breath as well? Asking for swamp...

Edit: Formicids dual-wielding two-handers :getin:

Edit2: Dual Shield Wielding add some kind of shield bash attack...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm not used to playing squishy (to me defined as not-MI/GR) characters, but I finally had a HaBe running really well until I ran into 3 caustic shrikes and a Lich. I went from steamrolling to dead faster than I could say "What the-" One day I will ascend a KoBe and/or HaBe.

I never had issued with caustic shrikes before but now I can see why they're so terrifying. I'm sure I could have played smarter to avoid it but still :stare:

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Does halfling's innate rMut also stop benemuts? I had 3 benemut potions on an early HaBe, the first gave me clarity, and the other two gave me nothing (You feel odd for a moment).

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

How much of a trap is the amulet of the air on a tanky sword/board FoFi? How bad is that inacc debuff, really?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I'm rolling along with a GrEE^Chei and have Snake in my game. My only offensive spells right now are LRD, Fireball, Iron shot, and IMB. I'm worried I don't have enough CC options should I get overwhelmed with guys on screen. Would Meph Cloud or Toxic Radiance help with CC options here? Or are my current options + slouch enough to get by? What else should I be looking for to survive Snake?

Edit: Or Bolt of Magma or Venom Bolt? I don't have a bolt spell right now but can learn either if need be.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jan 19, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Yeah, by CC in this case I meant more AoE type spells rather than just single target damage. I did poke my head into Snake and was almost immediately surrounded thanks to that blink/recall. Barely survived there. I probably don't 'need' a bolt spell at the moment, but I just feel underpowered compared to where I usually am if I get a GrEE to this point.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Ferrinus posted:

That's why the weapon skills should be renamed to stuff like "lunging" "cleaving" and "riposting" and give you increasingly strong or reliable versions of the named powers as they're leveled up.

And if you made one skill "smashing" I would name every character from there on Nigel.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Is the IJC in Trunk or just the CouncilGod experimental?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Out of curiosity, does cleave on axes still work with whirlwind, or should I look at long blades if I want to be a whirlytaur for the riposting?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Heithinn Grasida posted:

If it worked with whirlwind it would be bonkers because whirlwind itself hits multiple enemies and each enemy you hit would proc a cleave. Unless I'm mistaken, though, lunge works with cleave, and you can whirlwind and lunge at the same time, meaning you can whirl a target and hit them in the same turn with a powered up cleave. I think axes and long blades are about equally good with council god, lunge replaces some of polearms utility, but I guess you can always use wall jump to create space for reaching attacks.

I went with a sword because why not and oh man this is a fun new God. Rather than just tabbing through packs I'm leaping off walls and running around mobs just to proc whirl/leap. So much more fun than otabbing.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

So Maxwell's is a death sentence, right? My MiGl^(WuJianClan) just found it and I want to wear it but that -Tele is going to kill me I just know it...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Crawl .20: Wu Jiang Clan got hosed with

Edit: I'm a filthy casual who really enjoyed the fresh take on a melee God and it was really fun in the iteration that let me whirlwind and walljump with reckless abandon. It got me interested in the game again.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Mar 21, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

tote up a bags posted:

is it intended behaviour that all the trees are pissed at me :(

New unique enemy: The Lorax

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I finally have a HaBe (I've had a harder time than I'd thought) off the ground, one rune in, lair done, etc, and can't figure out mid game weapons. I'm going sword and board and so far have:

the +7 long sword "Ubeoz" (weapon) {protect, Str+6} (currently using)
the +10 zealot's sword {holy, *Rage rN+ EV+3}
a +2 eudemon blade of holy wrath
a +2 long sword of flaming (for hydras)
a +4 scimitar (saving for brand?)

I've been using the +7 long sword for the protect brand for most of the game, but I have two eudemon blade sitting here. I worry about the *Rage on the zealot's sword, otherwise I'd be using that all the time. I only have 1 enchant weapon scroll too. But I also have two Brand Weapon scrolls that I had been saving in case I got a demon blade (not into Depths yet). Trog has gifted me a few AM longswords, but mostly he's been gifting me slings/crossbows. So I haven't hit the Trog jackpot yet. Not sure what to do here to get some extra punch for my second/third rune.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Old habits die hard. I still stash at L:1, making separate piles for weapons, armor, jewellery, etc. I like collecting stuff, even if I don't use 99% of it...

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If I want to run a TrMo^Chei, should I be upping Dex to go with the auto strength gains for my claws, or upping INT to get some spells later on due to Cheistats?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Araganzar posted:

you are probably going to die.

I mean this is the rule no matter what combo I try so might as well ride the INT train.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Araganzar posted:

I am watching and trying to tell you how to subscribe to beem and it's so cute that you have no idea I am there yelling at you...

I play at work which means a lot of otabbing and not much paying attention :v: Also it's why I disappear for extended lengths.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Devlan Mud posted:

15 runes lol

Honestly I just wanted to post that CPA that I got, but I figured I'd wait til I ascended because if I did prematurely I'd splat. So I 15 rune'd and ascended, and now I can show off the most ridiculous goddamned floorgod drop ever:

R - +20 crystal plate armour of Goischirch {MR+ Dex+2 Slay+2}

The +20 crystal plate armour of Gorsuch. Upon trying to escape with the orb, eight Pan Lords appear and surround the exit, talking incessantly in an attempt to keep you from ascending.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

With there no longer being rMut, isn't it a bit overkill that shapeshifters that change into something that has mutation (Shining Eyes in this case) can still mutate you? I turned a corner to get immediately blasted with two mutations and then next turn it shifted into something dumb, like a cyclops. That's pretty...unfun.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

If you follow the Wu Jiang Clan, they should gift you the Ring of Shaolin at max piety.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Using potions of cure mutation are now considered unnecessary tedium. cMut will be removed in the next update.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Decrepus posted:

I don't know how anyone plays this game with less than 40 AC.

They do, just not for very long.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Edit: Nope, I'm just an idiot.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 8, 2017

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I love Gr for practically everything. Even when I try to go pure blaster caster I end up in armor and a fuckoff mace and switch from worshipping Chei to oTab because I get too lazy to hit my LRD/Shatter buttons.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I haven't gotten a non-GrEE spellcaster this far in forever, so how do I not gently caress this one up? I have a DEFE rolling, but not much luck with fire spells, so mostly have been using Ice/Earth for my mid-level blasters. How do I skill from here? What branch do I tackle first? Do I keep pumping Fire in hopes of one day getting Bolt of Fire / Firestorm? Do I focus on something else?

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Hopkin Green Trog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Should my GaFi^Ru be wearing this +10 Chain Mail {MP+9} or a +2 Plate {MR+}? I'm AC/EV 46/7 with the Chain but 42/7 with the Plate, but I feel like the MR+ is better than the extra AC once I start rune diving? I've given up ever casting spells, really.

Edit: Found a randart ammy with MR+++ so the Plate might not be as useful now? Is the GDR increase in Plate over Chain worth losing the extra 4 AC? I don't know how that math works.

Fhqwhgads fucked around with this message at 19:27 on May 27, 2017

• Locked thread