Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

I think "force_more_message +=" is one of the more useful rcfile additions, since it sometimes stops you from getting yourself in a poo poo situation because you kept mashing tab. Examples of ones I use;

This will force pause the game when those monsters enter LOS for the first time. The last one keeps me from spending more than one turn in calcifying dust like an idiot.

Where do I add this for my offline Crawling? These are borderline necessary additions for the tab-obsessed like myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
As a melee ant man, how bad is the amulet of air's InAcc malus? Will this kill me?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Is it observation bias or did something change with the bonuses that can be be generated on randart war axes? For two games in a row each randart war axe I've grabbed has been +10 or +12 with some really minor if any maluses. It's pretty badass.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
What is up with you fools posting incredible randarts lately? Oka and the floor god have blessed with me crap like an artifact +1 chain mail with rPoison. Weapons I've had more luck but nothing ridiculous.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Gozag corpse gold should always go directly into your pocket. Ever since the change to the gold aura there's been no reason for it to drop on the floor and the game directly pockets any gold that would be lost to deep water/lava, so having to pick up the gold just adds a bit of extra tedium. Scooping up all the gold after every fight is easier than old corpse 'p'urifying but you have to do it for every encounter and it becomes a huge hassle any time something blocks your autoexplore and you don't want to hang around to kill everything like abyss or pan.

Hell, just give Gozag a passive money vacuum ability and autopocket all gold in your LoS. Thematic and convenient!

I like this idea very much.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

I give up.

How do you do Shoals as someone who breathes and doesn't fly? Now that I can't stand on doors to not get killed by water nymphs my success rate with non-Gargoyles is unpleasantly low (though I haven't really played any significant amount since the last tournament, which isn't helping). What are the tricks? There's got to be something I'm missing, because I can't believe that one of the four Lair areas is just this much harder than Swamp/Spider/Snake.

I'm sure it's not too bad if you're a good player, but I have like four lifetime wins in versions more recent than 0.10 and I'm just not, so whenever I see Shoals I just kind of sigh and expect to die, even if I put it off.

Stair dance, be careful about aggro'ing the whole floor, and be careful about nymphs and sirens and then aquamancers and gladiators and javilineers. The bottom of shoals is only dangerous if you manage to not clean up around the vaults and then get swarmed by the nasty stuff in there and out. Use the pillars or rock walls to your advantage and just pull manageable amounts at a time. Alligator turtles are surprisingly dangerous. Sea snakes will poison the gently caress out of you if you're not careful. Never fight in the water if you don't have to and don't let enemies sit in the water safely either if you can pull them to dry land. Poison cloud fumigates quite nicely.

The Shoals loot generally sucks, I can't remember the last time something good showed up there.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Motherfuck. I had a great merfolk going, steamrolling the midgame. Cornered by Norris. He berserks. That's real bad. I read tele. Quaff some un-IDed potions hoping for agility or something. It's loving lignification and cancels my tele.

Someone please peel my smashed merman off the walls of orc.

drat man, how do you get to mid game with un-ID'd pots?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

Tempted to lose the amulet for a +5 amulet of reflection. Good idea/Bad idea? I'd still have 2+1 sources of regen and reflect along with rmsl and Ru's "redirection" ? Or stay with 3+1 regen and rmsl/redirect?

Reflection is hilariously strong and lets you chew through places like Vaults and Elf and Orc. If you've already got a shitload of regen I'd go for it.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Araganzar posted:

Quote necromancy but I've been radio silent for a while, wanted to say thanks for the team contributions and for showing up in chat a few times, it's nice to have a little sympathy/distraction when you're grinding out a frustrating game. I played really poorly the last half of the tourney thanks to being on a laptop with a 13" screen and no numpad. I just can't make myself use the keys like b and n to move or I hit the wrong one and splat myself running into trouble.

I use a hosed up combo of arrow keys, letters, and numbers but the concept of using the numberpad is totally alien to me. Tab + o is the usualy death sentence for me, especially if I get a nice axe.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 29, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

Nope, random!

Here's a list of fixedarts, though I'm not sure if the wiki is fully up to date.

Edit: Usually a good way to identify a fixedart is that it will have it's own unique description, and most of them also usually do something unique that can't be found on normal items. Likewise, all fixedarts are immediately identified upon sight (with the exception of the Robe of Misfortune, which looks like a normal robe and is a sick joke).

I got Frostbite once and it was awesome. And then I died in Vault 5 again like an idiot. Kids, don't disrespect Vault Wardens and their stair lockout ability. Many a great character has been overwhelmed attempting to stairdance.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Sojenus posted:

all i want for christmas is perfectly resistant rMut or removal of malmutate/addition of a playable crab race

i tried coming up with ideas for a crab race and all i could think of was innate spiny/claws, hats because a crab wearing a hat is great, and some sort of survivability mechanic related to crustaceans not feeling pain (although i think current research is leaning towards them in fact feeling pain)

alternatively remove the dancing god and incorporate the mechanics into one big joke race of fiddler crabs

You could just play an Octopode and pretend you're a crab? Kinda similar??

But malmutate still sucks and half the time I'm gobbling purple chunks and playing mutation roullette just to get rMut and Clarity. Anything else is a bonus.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Yeah Rupert is a bad dude. I came back after being reminded that I am in fact a formicid, and he still nearly killed me. Had to blink around for a bit until his berserk wore off and I could actually tank him.

How... how did you blink around as an Antman??

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

He's an AK - Lugonu still lets you blink around a bit.

Ah, didn't realise that AK got to circumvent that rule. Interesting.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You know.... Gozag followers should buy things straight from him rather than requesting shops. He's always seemed awkward to me, and I think that's what I don't like about him. It could be cool if he were a constantly shuffling merchant in the sky who can bless you with things at a moment's notice if you've got the coin.

Man, that's kinda cool. But I suppose the shop creation is a kind of round about way of doing that? Now I have to do another Mummy Gozag run, thanks.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chakan posted:

Can I ask why Mummy? Scumming abyss and Pan can't be that much more valuable?

Oh, unsure about Abyss/Pan aspect of your question but I just like that you don't have to worry about food and because chunks turn into sweet cash that's all profit baby. And you can use potion petition as a way to get stuff that mummies are normally excluded from.

But I guess it's cool being immune to torment, something that's super brutal and very prevalent in the late/post-game.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

jerkstoresup posted:

:yikes: Next time I'll put my shops in a neat square I guess.

I liked to put them in a weird grid with spaces between each, preferably in a big open room.

Kinda fun creating them in a certain pattern.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Just lost a promising ant-man that was gifted an early electric executioner's axe and had the shield of the gong and four positive mutations and bunch of other good arts to a goddam hydra in the Lair.

Tried to tank through it and it still hosed me up. Crawlers take heed: it's not worth it. Just swallow your pride and switch to some lovely fire-branded hand axe or mace or something.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 9, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

apple posted:

This sounds almost cartoonishly uncrawl-like, maybe they should just let you dismiss allies on command

Yeah like, "excommunicate" or "send to Orc valhalla" or whatever rather than this giant roundabout way to get rid of guys you don't want.

But I haven't played an Orc Jesus in forever.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I just dodged an OoD by using Uskayaw's line pass on it. Where's my Crawl crown?

That's pretty cool but have you ever played tennis with Donald when you both have shields of reflection and endlessly bounce an OoD back and forth?

I haven't but still...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I really don't mean to be a whiny dick to the devs. They're doing great work making a fun game, and I know it's all voluntary.

I'll shut up about it.

I think we're all in the same boat. I love this game and appreciatethe work that goes into it. But sometimes there are changes and decisions that make you wonder why. I'm not angry by any stretch but Crawl is really gaining a reputation as a game that loves to cut things that look really big, while adding lots of little things behind the scenes that most people never get to see.

I'm still irritated at the rMut changes, though because those loving sucked

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 14, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I'm legit pulling for you E Equals. When you get a badass start like that and avoid death in an early-ish abyssing it's a sign from the floor god that you are destined for great things.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I like Mummies :( They were my first ever 15-rune.

Speaking of, I lose another gently caress-off good Ant-man to a Crypt ending that was filled to the brim with monsters from the Tomb. That was fun! Nothing like getting death cursed to hell and back and then having a Greater Mummy summon all his buds around me. I did play poorly because I was in a tab-fugue and wasn't expecting a Greater Mummy to be at the Crypt end but goddam was I frustrated because I hate doing Tomb and what the hell was Tomb doing in my Crypt?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I thought we had a good idea a while back about malmutate by turning the initial blasts of it into temporary mutations that go away with enough XP a la draining or stat loss but if you got hit with another malmutate when you had enough mutations it would possibly cement them from temporary to permanent. Obviously needs some work fine-tuning it but I thought it was a nice mix of not punishing people for walking into line of sight of a shining eye or having to tank an OoF while reminding you that you have to avoid being repeatedly mutated in one sitting or else these things will stick with you.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Prism posted:

Yeah, I saw that, but almost everyone seems to be focusing on heal wounds despite that.

In other news, the thread has done good for newbies because autofight_stop now defaults to 50%, not 30%, to teach new players to run earlier. Also the fencer's gloves and guardian golem descriptions were updated so that you know a) they stack with regular riposte and b) they can explode at low health, respectively.

Also you can acquire helmets now. Hurray!

You couldn't acquire helmets before from an Barmour acquisition? Or can you specify what type you're looking for?

Actually, now that I think of it it'd be cool to be able to narrow down an acquire request to an armour slot specifically...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Honest question here that occurred to me during a run regarding the rMut removal:

How come rPoison and rCorr exist? Isn't it the same logic that an entire mechanic of the game can be partially mitigated by simple wearing some gear? Correct me if I'm wrong but none of these things guarantee you're totally immune from the effect it just reduces the chance of it triggering, just like rMut did, so why do they persist whereas rMut doesn't? They're all situational tools that you use in certain situations and are necessary for sections of the game and certain branches, just like rMut was necessary for extended.

Note: this is not to be construed as a request to eliminate protection from corrosion and poison in way, shape or form.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
How good is the sword of power?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

odiv posted:

Skin mutation at lvl7.

Poisonous skin, psychoactive skin, camouflage skin, etc?

That would be really cool. What does Pyschoactive do though? Create shadow creatures around any monster that melees you?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Piece of advice for crawlers new and old alike: use your identify scrolls on artifact armour unless you're fine with slapping some gear on that has *Contam and then finding some way better armour a few turns later. I haven't found a cancellation pot yet after clearing the dungeon, lair, swamp, snake, and orc :(

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Give mummies a temporary Mumm-Ra-like transformation ability that can only be recharged by gaining xp.

Your image is about a million times more fun than playing a Mummy in crawl.

Regarding the random buffs to enemies when you're "luring": is that in trunk right now? It sounds awful and I need to figure out if I should stop with the daily updates.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Carcer posted:

Change Demigods so they're like draconians. At a certain level (7? 10?) One of the gods claims you as their child and you get abilities that related to but not the same as worshiping them. For example, Oka could improve all of your battle related aps, vehemut your magic aps. Chei could maybe give you the ability to inflict slow on other monsters.

That's kinda cool actually. It'd be cooler even if A) there were staggered buffs as you leveled up based on whatever god "chose" you like at level 12 they give you something else and level 15 another thing and so on or B) if there was a pantheon aspect to it and the player either got to choose favour from like three gods or they were able to become connected to multiple ones (which isn't as thematic but cool) as you went on. Like, at this level you became connected to okawaru, but the next chance you are influenced by Yred and now you're a necromancer warrior.

Anything would make demigods more fun to play than they are now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Pray before attacking, pray over corpses

I remember back in the day how terrifying centaurs seemed to be to my little minotaur

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fhqwhgads posted:

How much of a trap is the amulet of the air on a tanky sword/board FoFi? How bad is that inacc debuff, really?

I asked about this a bit ago and the answer I got was along the lines of "if you can still hit a black mamba fairly consistently you're okay"

In other news I lost my second back-to-back tanky antman in the Crypt again. Taken apart by a lovely double team of a curse-toe and skull (with a profaned servitor cheering them on). I would now escalate Crypt to Pretty Tough in my book, not sure what happened recently when I wasn't looking. Also gently caress torment

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

great big cardboard tube posted:

I haven't played this game in years, my only successful character was a mountain dwarf fighter of okwaru who got really lucky with gifts. Thinking of trying it out again but don't want to spend ages researching / trial and erroring what spells work well in addition to how the game itself works right now. Is there anything I should be playing now that MD is gone or does that attitude basically preclude me from this game?

Gargoyle is pretty strong, give that a shot

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Carcer posted:

Speaking from experience those blademasters can gently caress you up in a hurry if you're not being careful around them.

But the most dangerous elves for formicids are the ones that can tunnel through rock and summon earth elementals, smashing apart your murder holes and leaving you suddenly exposed to a dozen angry elves while low on health.

I cannot stress how correct this comment is. If your murder hole remains in tact nothing can stop you unless you're woefully under prepared. The earth elementalists exist as murder hole breakers and creators of annoying crap that spawns in your way as you're fleeing or attempting to take care of actual threats. These guys are responsible for more elf deaths than I can count.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

Alternative answer, remove glow from the important things and replace the mutation effects with increasingly severe -wiz and reduced mp regeneration. Especially with haste now restricted to just potions the only serious positives it has is limiting invisibility and controlled blink. Give cBlink spellpower and scatter inversely related to that power, making spellpower relevant is a good thing that should happen more (but don't make the beckoning mistake because 200 power is a ridiculous benchmark for any character and even hitting 160 without an enhancer is extremely tough) Invisibility can stay as is because the eventual corona effect of glow is extremely effective at preventing overuse. Haste could probably have it removed entirely now that it's limited, not that it matter much except maybe orb run (give the orb stasis!)

Glow actually becomes semi relevant for miscasts and you could even up the contam numbers on some stuff instead of only seeing it if you get repeatedly unlucky with level 9 spells or when spamming irradiate. Hell contam would actually be somewhat interesting instead of complete garbage and I would stop complaining about that awful feature.

Whoa, yet another good suggestion related to glow! Make it something strategically inopportune as opposed to a basic Cancellation Potion check or else "here's your lovely mutations, bud"

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Would it neutralise Petrification too much if you could delay it or hold it off with Curing?

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I play for 15 or bust personally.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

Does anyone actually use amulets of harm?

I did! Until I noticed I was dying a lot more frequently for some reason with it on...

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

SKULL.GIF posted:

That didn't happen, but a cool new thing was added instead today!

Go on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Internet Kraken posted:

I agree that Crawl has shifted away from arbitrary difficulty in the form of "gotcha!" traps that require prior knowledge to reasonably avoid. A lot of roguelikes have a bad habit of flooding the game with those. They can be funny but most of the time they just gently caress over new players that want to get into the game.

Anyways, sheep.

Really like these! Keep it up!

Also, want to echo the QoL improvements but I feel for a newbie getting into this game now because as a veteran the game keeps getting more difficult, I can't imagine how someone just starting out (or getting back into it) must feel. Also still waiting on the malmutate changes as someone that went down into slime and ended up getting looked at wrong by two shining eyes in the same turn trying to get away from them :argh:

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 7, 2017

• Locked thread