Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mate, a lot of us played with DE's not being able to carry much more than their robes, a spellbook and an apple. Crawl has slots galore; you can just leave poo poo lying around on the floor, it's not as if jellies eat them anymore! The wand stacking is a QoL improvement no doubt, but replacing recharge with a small buff across-the-board completely misses the point about how people have wand preferences and can use recharge to customize charges according to their run. It's a feature removal that takes away player agency, we can call a spade a spade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

rodbeard posted:

Gnoll fun allowed.

Best idea yet

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

apple posted:

I see what you mean but FWIW healing back then cured rot which is a good, permanent effect while invis/haste are temporary so your use cases are much more limited.

If they feel just as strongly about invis/haste though then you would probably have to: 1) remove the beneficial buffs altogether or 2) somehow make random effects never help the player while still helping monsters occasionally or 3) remove wand of random effects.

Healing no longer cures rot? Havn't noticed the change. Good news is that healing is now back as a random effect on the wand, right?

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Can someone explain this to me as a filthy tiles user?

vv edit: Oh my god seriously?!

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Dec 12, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I always kinda thought the purpose of hell effects where to force a more aggressive playstyle, ie running of the gauntlet instead of luring and healing a lot. Fits with the whole upstairs thingie. It's currently inelegant, but moderately effective at keeping all but the most swole dudes from trying to go slow. Other (horrible, awful, do not implement) ideas including a steady tick down of hp/mp, with no restoration allowed, or a turbo-charged Xom code to keep things 'fun'.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Miscasts exist mainly because of legacy fluff reasons, but they still held strong relevance for the strong pre-fight buffs. Mostly haste, invis, etc al. but also things like old Haunt, which are viable even with very high fail rates due to their inherent safety.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm probably one of the biggest nay-sayers and grumbly old men when it comes to removals,(Still salty about item destruction gone), but I did not cry when paladins went away. I played a lot of them when I started out, and boy did I die a lot. I don't miss them, as despite being a super-cool idea, it's actually a newbie trap as TSO is an actively harmful early game choice. You get a laundry list of conducts for literally no benefit other than sInv at melee range after a few levels. Maybe if TSO where different, or the background gave you other gods, but meh. quibbles. Related, I'm actually quite happy that warriors now start with superior equipment, it's both fluffy and a QoL improvement.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Thank you again floodkiller for even attempting this! Forking is no small effort, nevermind actually implementing half of these changes. Props!
edit: I feel odd for a moment

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Mostly predictable, and it looks like with the older changes, ppl are less angry about them. Nobody cares about the poor MDs, everyone prefers melee transmuters over evaporate, and nobody but me likes item destruct. And some random crap about entropy's weaver sInv being the straw that broke the camel's back, which amuses me.

Edit: Yea, nobody remembers the old backgrounds like Reaver/Stalker so few can comment, not to mention a lot of their spellsets are now obsolete. What exactly was the miscast 'rework', I don't remember much discussion of it on this thread?

Serephina fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 25, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Uh, you mean Bojnigor's Revivification?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A long time ago, pure summoning might have been overly strong, but there's been a variety of things to bring it back down, and while all of them are iiritating and illogical, it's when combined it gets really really bad. From memory: 50% xp; hard cap on each summon, customized per spell; summons won't attack things that either you OR they cannot see, or even acknowledge their existence or defend themselves (this is huge, it's so annoying!); undead summons are now on timers; and do some summons go poof when they leave LOS? That last one I might be misremembering. It's probably just Clouds, but the same mentality.

Basically, before you could play a Mummy Summoner, and just have a cloud of summons always trickling around a corner to kill things out of sight. But this would involve playing a MuSu. As the Nethack dev team put it when addressing their own tedious optimal play problems: "The DevTeam has arranged an automatic and savage punishment for pudding farming. It's called pudding farming."

• Locked thread