Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
You definitely don't need to go to elf!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Akett posted:

Elf isn't that bad once you know what you're doing, and it becomes almost trivial once you have your first two runes and have done either vaults 1-4 or depths.
Elf carries a risk of randomly dying to a couple successive crystal spears. It may be a low chance, but it's there, always. If you're already geared up, there's no point in taking that risk. The fact that most of the stuff in there won't touch you makes it more dangerous, not less, because you're likely to stop paying attention so much when you don't feel threatened, and maybe spend an extra turn or two in LOS of an annihilator. I don't think it's worth it at all, let alone on someone who is set on gear for the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

baby delivery truck posted:

All of you saying do elf last/never seem to forget, elven annihilators appear in vaults and depths, and at least elf has the benefit of knowing exactly what you're up against: squishy humanoids with higher ev and lower ac, (all of which are susceptible to poison too!). Also the scariest thing in elf is the elementalists and deathknights. If you get hit with a max damage crystal spear and don't pop a fog or blink or do anything but stand there or move closer, you deserve to get hit with another. Consumables are meant to be consumed.

The chance of dying unavoidably is there, for sure. Yes, that situation is an emergency, but there are terrain configurations that don't allow you to simply never see the thing in LOS again. Going to vaults gets you a rune, elf gets you....some loot that you probably have plenty of. Avoiding small but present chances of death is, like, the key to success in this game.

I don't go to crypt either fwiw.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

getting trolled into carelessness by dcss forum nerds is a common pitfall for new and experienced players alike

I've definitely never tried mephitic it elf - that's a funny thought if it's effective. I think annihilators are dangerous in a way that other branch ending monsters are not. I've definitely died to naga sharpshooters and greater nagas, but with them there's almost no doubt I can leave and re-engage if need-be. Aquamancers and water nymphs are super dangerous and I probably would avoid an optional branch with them but I still find them more manageable than annihilators.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Floodkiller posted:

Theoretically, I've been working on putting together an Extended reform. I need to get all the brainstormed points put together coherently before I present it to the dev team and get feedback. If I get the go ahead, I'll start working on developing that next.

In reality, I've been pushing it off and playing Dark Souls randomizer instead :v:

Me reading this post: oh poo poo, could it finally be time for extended reform? That sounds really interesting and I think I have some ide.....there's a dark souls randomizer?
*leaves thread*

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Hellcrawl is really good and pretty much what I always wanted crawl to be so uhh, if you wanna target that I'm all for it!!!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

You can play it online at CBRO or download here:
https://github.com/Hellmonk/hellcrawl/releases

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

apple posted:

BTW, while hellcrawl has a fair amount of cool features that help offset the lack of upstairs, on normal difficulty it's still harder to play than standard DCSS IMO. It's also a lot harder to snowball and become super overpowered because the overall game is shorter, XP is more limited and new dangerous monsters are added later on. It think it's pretty fun though, combat is still very much DCSS at its core; it just gets rid of the stairdancing without it feeling unfair/unfun.

e: Also it goes without saying if you like upstairs hellcrawl probably won't be a good fit
Yep - these are all quite welcome to me. Shorter crawl where a higher percentage of fights are life-or-death, I never quite feel safe, and never see any messages about food are all I really wanted. No upstairs is a boon beyond that and I think it works pretty well.

I also haven't won yet so I guess I can't review any changes to zot. :)

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Woohoo posted:

Jesus why do all those cool roguelikes have to be in goddamn rear end-backwards text mode for all the important parts?
How does one code three galaxies worth of bullshit that can be used with other bullshit, but can't handle basic-rear end hello-world-programmer-level feature called mouse-driven UI?

Might & Magic 3 had better interface. Icons and clickable buttons. And game was released in 1991. That's 26 years ago. Do we really still press '/' to select all items in 2017?

I read those threads and wish I could just play. But there's no way in the world I'm going to last 5 minutes with walls of txt
I kinda think the game as it exists is too long to possibly play like this and I also doubt that anyone who plays at present really wants this. Clicking a button for actions you do 100 times/game is fine, but you attack tens of thousands of times per game and you don't want to mouse to the proper directional button each time, trust me. Like yeah, learning a keyboard-based UI has a front-loaded cost but I imagine that most of us paid that cost in like, 2002 with nethack or whatever.

Console mode should really have some degree of mouse support though.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

rodbeard posted:

Crawl .21 thread titles have been removed in trunk.

even if I'm on the side of the devils on this debate, this rules lol

PS are you rodbeard from 404???

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't like charms in general but the blocking special effects thing is cool - I had no idea, never thought about that. Maybe make it long lasting, and it only blocks those add-on effects while *increasing* the damage from regular attacks? Then it's a tradeoff but it sounds hard to balance between OP and useless, there's no stable equilibrium there.

Maybe, in lieu of a spell, "shrouded armor" could sometimes block non direct-damage addon effects and skalds/warpers start with shrouded leather armor?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I think avoiding add-on effects of monster attacks is a cool ability and it's wasted on a short buff spell.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Struggling to find much about this, the wiki doesn't even have them as a playable race, but I did read that they get +8 to all apts and train all at once, wtf that's crazy but must be super annoying lategame.

Which backgrounds and gods do people use with that? I'm thinking super versatile Sif Muna worshiping Wizard.
I don't think Sif is the best idea. All spells are similarly powerful, so it's great that you get books with every spell but like....you were going to find some books anyway. Unlike a, say, fire mage who has picked some schools such that they *need* the good spellbooks for their schools, a gnoll can make do with any high end spells. What school they used early doesn't have to be related to what they use by the end and thus they don't need every book, just a few good ones, which they're likely to get even without Sif.

Ash, on the other hand, sounds brilliant on a gnoll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I would be okay with removing purple chunks if and only if they removed all the other kinds of chunks.

I kinda would just rather play hellcrawl these days though. He's got it right.

• Locked thread