Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Nerf something to hell, “not well liked in its current revision, better axe it!!” -crawl devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Honestly if I had any desire or ability to dev for crawl I dunno why I'd deal with all the toxic personality bullshit involved in the actual dev team as opposed to just making my own fork, especially now that they've run out of stuff they're willing to work on with the game.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

We scared away all the devs by actually challenging their terrible decisions.

I don't see "fix Tomb" on that list :geno:

Right behind "Malmutate Reform," can't you see it???

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Player ghosts have been complained about for literally a decade plus so I don’t see what could possibly change NOW to remove them besides “lol crawl devs”

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Serephina posted:

Me, for one. I miss it, I thought it was good tension, rewarded careful play, punished ppl who hoard consumables instead of using them, etc etc. I miss it. I also play cogmind, so...

A lot of RLs have item destruction and degradation, and I actually can't think of any one that I've played extensively that doesn't have the mechanic. Nethack (albeit briefly), Powder, DCSS, Brouge, Sil, and now Cogmind. I won't defend Nethack and I barely touched it, but otherwise DCSS is the only one that has people with a stick up their arse about the game effecting their equipment. Honestly, a lot of the song and dance about it encouraging poor behavior is probably due to how in Crawl there's a very large aspect of being "Safe and in Control". We have cleared out areas, that when combined with a food clock that's easy to sidestep with sustenance rings, result players trying very hard not to step outside their comfort zone and risk having negative power progress. So having enemies that dare to damage the player in a way that's more than trivially transient is considered horrendous.

I'll state it again, there's nothing intrinsically wrong with Item degradation/destruction, but DCSS's philosophy regarding player behavior, "optimal play" (lol), etc is what's at fault.

Basically having to drop all your potions or scrolls when an icy/freezy enemy showed up if you didn't have Conservation was kinda crap though, this is like the one instance where eliminating something instead of reforming it was a net gain to the game IMO.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Scaramouche posted:

Haven't played in months but all the bitching made me load up 17.2 again local. Had a FoFi on lvl 1 found a ring of slaying +6, took one step, fell in a shaft, landed on d2 next to Grinder, paralyzed, dead.

Game is too easy, :rip:

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Eela6 posted:

Why do these changes have to be simultaneous? Why not just implement stacking for one version, see how things play out, and then remove recharge if it's really necessary?

Because "crawl dev philosophy" is cut as much as you can get away with, say you'll do something later, then ignore it forever.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Landing in the dead center of Hellion Island when you’ve got access to Cleansing Flame is probably the easiest way to approach it, at least since Cleansing Flame was changed to be centered on your character, anyways.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

Chunks of purple meat were a hallmark of Tolkien, it was inevitable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

If gooncrawl doesn't give felids and octopedes scarfs what's even the point

• Locked thread