Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
How did I miss this thread all day? I've been in such a haze.

Anyways that was in my humble goon Cubs opinion the greatest game 7 of the WS of all time. Great series all around. Now please pay Dexter Fowler the entire Illinois state budget next season (negative a billion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

beejay posted:

It's totally just for the novelty factor and bragging rights of saying you were there. Being at Grant Park would be neat because the players will speak but yeah.

Yeah I didn't have much desire to do the parade because you'd only see them for a few seconds and then be stuck in a crowd for an hour.

I was outside Wrigley Field for the final out and that was awesome so I got my bragging rights and to join in the city celebration already.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah this coverage is terrible.

CJ Edwards aka Hardees aka Stringbean is awesome, he's just a super lanky dude from backwoods Georgia and I'm really hoping we see a ton of him next year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Travis Wood is such a redneck, shirtless with a Jesus cross drinking Bud.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Even if you wanted Cleveland to win over the Cubs you have to admit it's pretty great making so many Cardinals fans pissy.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He also contradicts his whole "bought" the championship by pointing out we acquired Heyward for a ton of money. Not that he hasn't contributed but not nearly to the amount he is being paid.

How many teams have we seen with massive payrolls that haven't even made it to the WS? Not to pick on the Dodgers but I mean come on.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Luneshot posted:

I'm still kinda salty we blew a 3-1 lead but honestly seeing the reaction of all the happiest Cubs fans in the world has gone a long way to making it all okay again. I really need to keep up with baseball more, I think.

I'm really hoping this post season and World Series in particular drew in some new fans. This was about as exciting as it could get especially that game 7. So if there is a silver lining to for Cleveland fans it's that hopefully the sport and the Indians have a lot more people showing up next year.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pancakes posted:

Reminder: The Arizona Fall League all-star game is on tonight on MLB Network. Previous players in the game have included some schlubs named Kris Bryant, Andrew McCutchen and Mike Trout. Baseball's not done yet, guys!

Can't wait to see Tebow tonight!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Montgomery was pretty clearly being primed as a 5th started this season he has to be the one filling in for Hammels.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

rickiep00h posted:

A couple pages ago people were talking about MVP 2005 and that's a hell of a game, but if you have a PS4 it's hard to make the case to NOT get The Show. It's without a doubt the best single-player baseball experience I've ever had, both in season/franchise mode and in Road to the Show. You can even go back to meter-style pitching if that's your thing (and it's 100% my thing.

Pure analog is the best.

This sounds nerdy as poo poo but I actually use The Show during my rec league baseball season to help with pitch/location identification as a hitter. It's a really good baseball simulation.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I really wanted to keep Fowler he was such a key piece all year. I mean it makes sense with how overflowing the outfield is and Almora will be a good option to take over in the lead off spot. But Fowler was such a fun likeable player too.

I should say it's still possible we do extend him, but I was really hoping it would be locked down.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Best shape of his life has already started. It's officially the off season.

Slimmed-down Panda: Red Sox say Pablo Sandoval has lost weight

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This loving blows.

Something something baseball...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is the Something Awful forums no? It's entirely built off poor taste.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

i guess ill come back to the baseball threads in 4 years. my life just went from maybe having a kid this year to wondering if my marriage will even be legal. there's poor taste and then there's poor taste.

gently caress that Cheeto and his ilk. I hope things work out for the best in the end for you and either way you got your buds here at the SAS beisbol thread.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Ammat The Ankh posted:

you realize posts on an internet forum had literally nothing to do with the election right?

Tell that to D&D.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Hell no, even if I liked him.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
He wants $100 million but I really don't think he'll get it. Chapman is fantastic but he can also be a bit unpredictable and I'd be wary signing him to a long term (4 year +) contract because once his velocity starts to drop off he's gonna be really ineffective.

I could be wrong and maybe the closer market has reached peak insanity but I just don't think he'll get it.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dexter Fowler wrote a Players Tribune article that's pretty good.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/dexter-fowler-cubs-world-series-champs/

Theo, can we please keep him forever?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I had a dream last night that I ran into Bryce Harper and we discussed hitting mechanics.

Is it baseball time yet?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter Rumor - The @tigers could also be sending Ian Kinsler with Justin Verlander to the @Dodgers. Makes sense for both sides. https://t.co/HQuPSfFzGg

V: If this and they keep RichHill they would be better then the Cubs.

How does it make sense? What would the Tigers get?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Welcome to the NL Otani.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

MinibarMatchman posted:

every sports site I visit says Greinke is "potential trade bait" but who the gently caress would eat that big of a contract AND give up players.

The Diamondbacks. Oh wait...

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i normally stand for Baseball Justice but nothing in the world would make me happier than Kyle loving Hendricks winning a Cy Young in Real Life.

Scrappy Ivy Leaguer clowning the leagues best hitters with an 89 MPH fastball. Yes please.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

New Concept Hole posted:

Obviously those sportswriters thought Justin Verlander was going to get the most first-place votes anyways, so they figured he didn't need their votes. So they were half right. :v:

Justin Verlander got Hillary Clinton'd.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

illcendiary posted:

loving hell I don't want that dipshit on the Astros :mad:

Lucky Carlos Gomez got out well he did.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

a neat cape posted:

Lol how does someone from a last place team win MVP.

Your 2016/17 NBA MVP, Demarcus Cousins

Because Mike Trout is really good and is actually the most valuable player in the AL?

:toot: Kris Bryant!

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
In other Azfl news, Tebow hit under .200 and is being called a disaster. lol, Mets.

EDIT: .194/.296/.242 I wonder how many of his 8 BB where HBP by minor league guys pissed that the Mets gave him $100k.

Popete fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Nov 21, 2016

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I want to point out the Gleyber Torres had a .775 in A ball this year with 478 ABs which is a much bigger sample size than the Arizona Fall League, still impressive but not absurd. He's still a top prospect, but yeah it's a real long ways to go. Javier Baez was a top 5 prospect at the AAA level and he had a lot of trouble making the transition to the majors.

Also any trade for Miller or another reliever may have ended with Schwarber being gone and look how much he contributed to the WS games. Anything different and the Cubs could have easily lost.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

R.D. Mangles posted:

i just remembered HERE COMES THE PEETZUR and watched it 800 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufSQMXLO95w

I love Jerry Remy, he just always seems to be having so much fun at the ball park.

When I'm really jonesing for baseball in the spring I like to tune into Red Sox spring training games.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Just about nearly every Cubs fan in here was against the amount we gave up at the time of the trade. Maybe we don't win without Chapman. We'll never know. But it's not complaining or being a bad fan to say the Yankees got the better of the deal long-term. They got some really great prospects for free and it could really work out well for them in the long run. It worked out for us short-term for sure.

We have no idea if the Yankees "won" that trade. From all angles so far the Cubs "won" that trade in that they got the best reliever in baseball who played a big part in them winning the World Series, which is the entire point. The Yankees have a bunch of high upside prospects who if the past 10 quintillion prospects have taught us anything may (probably) amount to squat. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, Torres hit a .775 OPS in single A ball this year and despite a hot AzFL (month long season) that's not exactly lighting the world on fire.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
They showed those brown unis at first and I was like "final they figured it out". Then they show the most generic two tone jerseys possible. Someone fire Padres marketing team.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Segura is an interesting player and I think the M's weren't totally fleeced. His time with Milwaukee wasn't so great but he showed signs of being a good offensive middle infielder on top of solid defense.

I hadn't followed him at all this year and wow he really broke out. It wasn't a partial season either. He'll be 27 next year and this could be the start of him taking off. Not a bad pick up.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

Maybe if they still had Torres :v:

Which was worse, Boston giving up Babe Ruth to the Yankees or the Cubs trading Torres to the Yankees?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cutch is not broken, he had a down year but I'm sure he'll bounce back he is just too drat good to have lost it.

There is no way the Cubs get Cutch, when you factor in cost in prospects/MLB ready players plus 14 million in payroll on top of adding another outfielder to an already very crowded outfield it's just not happening. I suppose there is a package to be made in Schwarber & Montgomery plus a boatload of prospects but Theo is not going to be that dumb.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I think it has more to do with them not wanting to pay a declining player when his contract expires and their window having closed, but ya ok.

To be fair the Pirates did just kinda give up last year. Even ~mid way through the season when they were in contention they ended up trading away dudes. Their window does appear to have closed but it sorta seems self inflicted this early.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Damnit, I know it's gross and totally out of date. But I really liked that players were still allowed to chew. Its such a weird antiquated thing that would never happen in any other major sport.

Nothing like seeing some dude with a massive mullet and a giant wad in his mouth catching a line drive to make you feel patriotic.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
<------------------------------------

Javy Birthday too you

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Intruder posted:

I changed my mind about her parlaying this into some sort of career, she goes too far and too openly for anyone to be comfortable even Brietbart

She's about to get appointed to head the Department of the Interior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Quick! Someone tell me who won/lost this trade?

• Locked thread