Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

CubsWoo posted:

He's the #2 CF on the market playing a position where Fowler would probably be an upgrade anywhere but Anaheim, Boston and Tampa

Or Kansas City or Philly or Toronto or Washington or the White Sox or Colorado or Baltimore or Florida or Pittsburgh or Arizona or The Dodgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

MLB trade rumours pegs the Jays as getting Bautista and Kendrys Morales, which sounds Okay To Me, but I kind of doubt it considering it runs contrary to Ross Atkins' whole "Speed, Versatility, and Platoon Advantages" plan. That sounds like Reddick or Fowler, to me.

Edit: I forgot Morales is a switch hitter which makes more sense for that.

They're not going to sign Fowler and give up a draft pick.

Jose and Kendrys make sense in that they could be had for pretty cheap deals that expire around the time that Tellez/Alford/Vlad Jr are ready in 2018/19.

I still think they're keeping Edwin

I don't see the Red Sox paying that price with how much they already have on the books for next year, their need to add some pitching still and the fact that Betts/Bogaerts/Bradley all get expensive real soon. Unless they can somehow dump some money (ya right) I just don't see it happening unless there are big changes in the CBA with regards to the luxury tax. IF they go to 225 million this season, they aren't gonna be dipping under it for a few years and they haven't shown the willingness to do that before. And unless some team goes crazy on term/price (I dunno who would), the Jays have the money to hang on to him.

They'll probably keep Edwin, let Jose walk, bring in Reddick or Beltran and see what shakes out of the system for 2018.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I do not want the mets medical staff anywhere near Jose.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 8, 2016

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

Yeah if Bats goes to the NL there's no way they put him back in RF. Or if they do, it's their funeral

Where the gently caress else would he play?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I suppose saying it's a bad stat is a bit hyperbolic. It's just not as useful as player WAR and is generally, in my eyes, does a bad job capturing who the best pitchers are.

Generally speaking, I think it rewards worse pitchers for pitching more innings than in should. This is a big deal, as it punishes a pitcher for playing on a team with a better bullpen.

It also punishes guys who outperform their fip because of odd skills that allow for weak fly ball contact, like peak Matt Cain, Dickey or Marco Estrada the last couple years.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

He basically is immediately the Jays best prospect, right? I'm okay with this.

Vlad jr.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Bye bye Edwin.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I can't belive I'm saying this, but I actually kind of have faith in Shapiro and Atkins that this is a good move. Happ loving won 20 games.

Signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin is bad.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

The Berzerker posted:

This is true. Although not signing Kendrys and not paying Edwin would be worse.

e: What if Morales is DH and Edwin plays 1B and Justin Smoak gets buried under a volcano :haw:

I really don't see the Jays locking down 1b and DH for the next three years with two 34 year old hitters.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They can afford to and should have given Edwin the 5years and 20-25 million per he wants.

I think the odds of the Jays bringing back Jose went way up though.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Ya most of the options out there aren't great if you believe they won't sign a player if they have to give up a draft pick. Though keeping Jose instead of signing cespedes is just trading up 15 spots or whatever.

I also have a terrifying feeling they're going to let both walk in order to stockpile those picks and then I dunno what they'll do cause all the options are bad.

Edit: Jose could probably play 1b eventually.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Jesse Chavez somehow got 5.75 million for one year and another 3million in incentives from the Angels.

So many mediocre to bad pitchers gonna cash in this offseason.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Sanchez was the best hitter in baseball for the last 2 months. He got robbed.

No he wasn't and no he wasn't.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gary Sanchez is going to put up a .750 OPS next year and strike out 175 times.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I never said that it was a bad thing it's just what he's gonna be next year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Timby posted:

Wasn't this basically the system that existed before the QO, with Elias Sports Bureau's rankings determining the placement of the pick?

While the picks were determined by some bizarre ranking system, teams still lost draft picks when signing A level free agents that were offered arbitration by their previous team. B level free agents offered arbitration returned compensation to the losing team but didn't cost the signing team anything.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

J. A. Happ.

J. A. HAPP.

He rules.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Just checked the stats and JA Happ indeed rules.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whew, for a minute I was worried all the voters would make nothing but correct choices this year.

Ya how could 1B win over 1A and 1C and 1D in both leagues!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Pancakes posted:

Timmy, then Carp, then Waino at 100, 94 and 90 respectively in 2009.

Lincecum: 11 first, 12 second, 9 third.
Carpenter: 9 first, 14 second, 7 third.
Wainwright: 12 first, 5 second, 15 third.

Everyone voted for both Wainwright and Lincecum, Keith Law and Will Carroll left Carpenter off their ballots.

Law's ballot at least made sense.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Gonz posted:

So it turns out that one of the Tampa Bay voters went to fewer than 10 baseball games this entire season.

I'm not sure why you're against writing from the fan's perspective.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Who was better?

Votto, Trout, Freeman, Beltre, Miggy , Blackmon

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Have you heard of a man with big biceps named Eric Thames?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Not really. He was right there with any of those guys while playing GG caliber catcher.

He only played 35 of those games at catcher, which also had nothing to do with hitting, which you brought up.

You said he was robbed and also the best hitter in baseball, neither of which are true.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

Cabrera and Cano are gonna be interesting. Cabrera should be an absolute lock, he's 481 away and insanely consistent so should make it late 2019/early 2020. Cano is less certain, he's 790 away so he'll need to be productive for 5/7 of his remaining seasons (though I expect if he gets close he'll get enough playing time to make it). I don't know who's going to be next after those guys though, it might not happen again until Trout.

Altuve

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Poque posted:

The question was if somebody's going to do it before Trout (after Cano/Cabrera/Beltre/Pujols/Beltran), and Trout is further away than Altuve

Ya thats what I was responding to.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He's really really good, doesn't cost a draft pick and probably the best reliever on the market after chapman/jansen/melancon.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Hand Knit posted:

Yeah. Atkins/Shapiro gonna have to find a solution here.

Mattdormedysmullet.jpg

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

FIP doesn't work for guys like Estrada that can induce weak contact on fly balls. See peak Matt Cain, RA Dickey.

And if you want to use FIP as a predictor for Happ, you can do the same for Stroman and see improvement.

Sanchez is a boss and might be one of the best pitchers in the AL next year.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I want to say Segura broke out due to a crazy babip season, but he also clubbed a bunch of dingers and hit the ball way harder and more selectively than he ever has, so really who knows!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

They'll just sell some equity for cash. They're not gonna slash payroll.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

That Eric Thames contract is hillarious but he's a cool dude so good for him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

McCutchen was also back to being a really really good hitter from August on.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

sportsgenius86 posted:

No they don't give an iota of poo poo about that. It's money plain and simple.

Money drives everything for them and they will take a pittance for Cutch so long as someone assumes the entire contract.

They'll ask for top prospects in return because anyone would, but they will absolutely take poo poo in return if someone eats all of the salary and the whole league knows it.

I think it has more to do with them not wanting to pay a declining player when his contract expires and their window having closed, but ya ok.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Popete posted:

To be fair the Pirates did just kinda give up last year. Even ~mid way through the season when they were in contention they ended up trading away dudes. Their window does appear to have closed but it sorta seems self inflicted this early.

I think its more that they have a bunch of guys that hit their prime in two years and realized they were hosed for this past season and next unless everything went exactly right.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Yeah, it's the same thing.

Although I'm pretty sure the players weren't hurting for money back in '94, either.

Do you even remember what the reason for the strike was?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

I would like the Jays to please plug one of the massive gaping cavernous holes in this team please.

I'm expecting Adam Eaton any day now!!!

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

https://twitter.com/rtjr/status/804684699847237633
I would be too if I saw how the Pirates FO worked last offseason after a 98 win season where they went "Keep good players? Don't be ridiculous, let's let them all go away who needs them, we are going to trade our hometown kid for a lovely pitcher because clearly Ray Serage's method of making old bad pitchers good is infinitely sustainable!"

It's probably the 60 million or so he'll have lost by the end of it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Its basically to make Cuban players cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Chexoid posted:

https://twitter.com/bnicholsonsmith/status/805498181681291264

someone who is good at free agency help me budget this. my lineup is dying.

Adam Eaton(4m), Jose Bautista(15m), Pedro Alvarez(5million), Half of Bastardo's contract(3.5). A bunch of minor league deals for RH relief depth. Some guy that can catch.

So that's like 30millionish which seems to be what they have to spend.

• Locked thread