Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

Breaking News: Kyle Hendricks has been released from captivity. He is reported to be in good spirits and excellent health.

How can anyone tell?

Congrats Cubs fans. Once I get home from work tonight I'll have to settle up with the Epilepsy Foundation and call my dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

So, since they can give them to anyone they want, which old Cubs are sure to get World Series rings?

Obviously Billy Williams and Ryne Sandberg will be getting them. Probably Kerry Wood. Anyone else?

Make one for Moises, then give it to Bartman.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: My Judge this morning is wearing a Cubs hat on the bench.

V: I feel like this could get old quickly.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I keep seeing people say this did people not watch game 6 2011?

I was more personally excited by Game 6 in 2011 but I'm a Cardinals fan. I'm assuming a neutral fan would find this game more exciting. Longer droughts, double rather than single elimination.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

cubs win the world series and matheny gets an extension what a terrible season

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc. We're not the best of friends between our respective fanbases but the morning after is way too early to start complaining. For once the Cardinals aren't the best team in their division. Somehow I think we'll all still survive. Let them have their moment.

E: This is more inspired by the BFiB stuff I've been seeing, your post just caught me at the wrong moment. :glomp:

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 3, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Quest For Glory II posted:

i dont want another nl central team winning a WS but the brewers havent won one yet, right? havent even been to one since 1982

i'm gonna put the albatross label on them now

Cardinals beat them in the '82 Series. Next closest they came was the '11 NLCS, when the Cardinals beat them.

Among the other longest droughts the Cubs ended Cleveland's best chance (obviously), Cardinals ended the Rangers' and the White Sox ended the Astros'.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: In honor of my epileptic, Cubs fan father I donated $50 for ever time Cleveland flailed around on the field (every error).

V: Cubs winning hurts my wallet.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Abel Wingnut posted:

kind of weird they wouldn't wait until the weekend for the parade, no?

Apparently CPS is out tomorrow anyway, so this mitigates concerns about schools being vacant because of kids skipping out to see the parade. While a weekend would also handle this, I feel like celebration parades are usually on weekdays for some reason.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Grittybeard posted:

Depends on how you feel about pitching before they lowered the mound. Found this, which says 12 pitchers have done it with the last being Mickey Lolich in 1968, which was the year before the mound was lowered.

Glancing through the article it looks like 6 or 7 of those came before 1920, and a couple of them came when it was a best of 9 series.

e: Ah here we go

They go on to note (amongst other reasons) that the playoff format can screw pitchers out of even having a chance to try this. If your ace is having to pitch game 7 in the NLCS he's not going to be able to start game one of the World Series.

Oh and Jesus that's an old rear end article huh? 62 series since 1920, be nice if there was a date thrown on that so I knew I was reading something from 1982. I'm fairly sure no one's done it since 1982 though.

Lolich didn't start game 1, 4 and 7, if memory serves. Gibson won games 1 & 4 that series and pitched a complete Game in 7, losing on an error from Curt Flood in CF I'm pretty sure. Gibson was the last pitcher to successfully start and win games 1, 4 & 7 in a world series, 1967.

For what it's worth, Bob Gibson pitched in 3 World Series, pitched in 3 games apiece, averaging 9 innings in each game. He pitched 3 complete games at 9 innings apiece in 1967 and 1968 and pitched 8 innings in Game 2, 10 innings in Game 5 and 9 in Game 7. In his World Series career he was 7-2 with a 1.89 ERA. He was the '64 and '67 World Series MVP and would have been the MVP in '68 had they won Game 7. There's a reason they call them the "Gibson Rules".

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Chexoid posted:

I know all fan bases are in their own way terrible but it seems like no one whines like Cardinals people.

https://twitter.com/BestFansStLouis/status/794661381719097345

How are you so weepy about the Cubs that you write an article for Time about how sad you are.

:bang: This is exactly what I was talking about when I was saying this:

Pancakes posted:

I'm sure I'll be guilty of this in time as well, but Cardinals fans complaining about how the Cubs winning the Series makes them feel reeks of the same kind of privilege that leads to MRA's, arguments for "White History Month", Young Republicans holding "Reverse Affirmative Action" bake sales, etc. We're not the best of friends between our respective fanbases but the morning after is way too early to start complaining. For once the Cardinals aren't the best team in their division. Somehow I think we'll all still survive. Let them have their moment.

Please keep the rivalry friendly, people. Have fun with it, sure, but assuming that the Cardinals are the only team that plays, manages or enjoys baseball correctly is exactly why the fanbase gets lampooned. There's no asterisk next to a flag just because it's not in St. Louis. You can complain about the Cubs, certainly. I'm going to be pissy about some of their season for a while. That Ball 4 to Rizzo was a strike, dammit, and pitching Holliday too far inside cost us seeing his 300th Home Run and 2000th hit this season (and they likely won't come as a Cardinal now). This was a frustrating read for so many reasons. "The traitorous Jason Heyward"? Please. The Cardinals are indirectly responsible for free agency after mistreating Curt Flood. Getting that histrionic because a rental of a trade chose to exercise that right is absurd.

Arguably the largest peaceful non-religious gathering of all time, assuming we can agree that Cubs fandom is not a religion.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_peaceful_gatherings_in_history

Farchanter posted:

The 2014 Phillies spent $178 million on 89 losses.

E: don't the Cardinals get extra "small market" draft picks every year?

The Cardinals are one of a few franchises that sometimes receive competitive balance picks, though not every year. If I remember correctly Joe Maddon groused in the press about it a few years ago. After a cursory Googling it turns out it was Theo, but I'm going to leave that sentence there because I like using the term "groused" in conjunction with Joe Maddon.

http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/just-a-bit-outside/story/theo-epstein-cubs-st-louis-cardinals-competitive-balance-draft-pick-072414

The teams that receive competitive balance picks are picked from out of the 10 smallest markets and the 10 smallest revenues as an organization. If memory serves there's a lottery among the potential organizations and there are 6 teams that are awarded the picks. The Cardinals qualify as the former, a "small" market, in no small part due to the fact that fair housing legislation gutted St. Louis proper in the quintessential example of White Flight. I've complained before and I'll complain again about the crazy levels of racism that I saw when I was living in St. Louis. The "small market" moniker is at least partially traceable to the really hideous racism in the area and it's not something to be proud of.

SourKraut posted:

Pancakes is cool, but he's also not a member of the BFiB crew so yeah. And that comes from me, the saltiest of posters.

Aww, you're too kind. As this post illustrates though, I'm more than happy to whine. I just tend to whine a little differently than the BFiB crowd.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Reminder: The Arizona Fall League all-star game is on tonight on MLB Network. Previous players in the game have included some schlubs named Kris Bryant, Andrew McCutchen and Mike Trout. Baseball's not done yet, guys!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

CascadeBeta posted:

The World Series was the series finale, everything afterwards is the lovely reboot. :colbert:

I prefer to think of it as an after-credits teaser for the next installment.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Jeremy Hazelbaker claimed by Arizona. I'm worried for his safety; scorpions are not as safe to eat as mayflies.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

we're all just waiting for JD Murders

Remembered he exists, checked his Twitter feed, found out he's a vocal rear end in a top hat Trump supporter. Trade you for a prospect with a weaker name tool but better sense of social justice.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Poque posted:

I didn't see it mentioned but Hendricks had three pickoffs in the postseason this season, with two coming in the world series. When is the last time either of those things happened?

I'm cooking and playing frisbee today, otherwise I'd look into this immediately. For now, please enjoy Kolten Wong's shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQnHJwIabBU

E: Just off the top of my head I'd expect Carlton had more but I doubt he ever logged as many innings as Hendricks in a single postseason, given the different eras.
E2: Nope, Carlton never had 3 in one postseason or two in a World Series. Pettite did in 2000 though. One in the LCS, two in the World Series.

Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 6, 2016

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I notice that the moon in your av has shifted phases

Is it a waxing gibbaez or a waning gibbaez?

PS, Fernando Valenzuela also had 3 pickoffs in one postseason, two in the '81 NLDS and one in the NLCS the same year. He started a game in the World Series that year but didn't get a pickoff.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I'll cheer for Dex wherever he ends up, since the Cardinals don't need a CF :unsmith:

It's actually our primary need, based on what I'm reading. The current plan seems to be shift Grichuk to left, Carpenter to first, Peralta/Gyorko to third, get a natural CF. If Bader can play it great but I don't think Pham is viewed as a long-term option. Lots of Charlie Blackmon rumors among the wishful-thinking Cards fans.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

drat it. I assumed Grichuk was in CF to stay. :argh:

As fun as last year was with a CF who literally couldn't throw at times, we have an opening in LF and Grichuk's already bulked up over the past 12 months. He has some fun highlight catches but I like him more as a corner outfielder.

I had a dream two days ago that we emptied a lot of our farm system, along with our surplus of starting pitching and infielders for Mike Trout and Paul Goldschmidt in an obscene overreaction to the Cubs winning. The difference between me and a lot of Cardinals fans is that I know my dream was outlandish and will never happen. :sigh:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Goodpancakes posted:

When do they announce the Cy Young so I can be mad it isn't Hendricks

November 16. Full awards schedule available at http://m.mlb.com/awards/

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Matt Carpenter seems to officially be moving to first base next season which means there isn't much room for Fat Adams on the roster.

Look for Matt Adams and Jaime Garcia'a corpse to be moved for a CF. Kevlar breathes a sigh of relief when we don't sign Dex.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Rand alPaul posted:

Wait Buster Posey has never won a Gold Glove before? Holy gently caress :lol:

This is the first year since 2007 that Yadi hasn't won the Gold Glove.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Whoops. My bad.

I said it live and I'll post it here: If Clinton can pull this out I'll root enthusiastically for the Cubs next year. Maybe my attempt at a Faustian bargain can counteract yours.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

I gave a rousing speech to my election night party on this very subject. It didn't help.

Being a teetotal and obsessive worrier I drove everyone home from my election party. On the drive home, for the first time in my life, I kind of wished I could drink so that I could numb the overwhelming depression. This is so much worse than 2000 or 2004 was. And there's not even any baseball with which to distract myself. God dammit.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Illinois was heavily blue and also the only state that ousted a Republican incumbent in the senate (NH pending) so this isn't Chicago's fault. :mad:

Illinois really only went blue because of Chicago. Cardinals fans in Illinois appear, by and large, to be Trump voters. :sigh:

Anyone have a handy resource to show outspoken liberals among MLB? I assume it must be a small list.

TMMadman posted:

Let's all just agree that Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida suck rear end.

You just lit Poque's Bat Signal.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

I'm gonna be banned soon (but I will be back to shitpost about the Giants) so this seems like a good time to stop being bitter about the nlds and say: congrats Cubs fans.

Did you perma or just Toxx for her? I think if you donate $10 to RAINN they're waiving the regular Toxxes. Check C-Spam, friend.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Miz Kriss posted:

Anyway, I shouldn't be surprised about Arrieta since he's from Texas, but I'm still a bit disheartened. :sigh:

Waino's from Georgia and is way more Jesusy than I'd prefer, but he was a lot cooler about things.

https://twitter.com/UncleCharlie50/status/796037870599503873

Then again, Waino's just generally awesome and adorable and takes some of the best Halloween pictures with his daughters and wife.

https://twitter.com/UncleCharlie50/status/793210995112050689

Root for Waino for the Silver Slugger tomorrow!

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I want the Cardinals to trade for Ryan Braun but I know they won't.

This person does not speak for all Cardinals fans. I'm part of Poque's pro-volcano movement when it comes to Ryan Braun.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But Ryan Braun is really good at baseballing and the Cardinals need that.

I would rather continue to lose for another year or two than have that scumbag on our team.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Arrieta wins Silver Slugger over Wainwright and I die a little more inside.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Sydin posted:

I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

I mean, Arrieta's a deserving choice. I'm not knocking his hitting ability. Looking at their 2016 stats it's really a question of consistency at the plate versus hitting a really disproportionate amount of doubles.

Arrieta:

AB: 65. H: 17. 2B: 2. 3B: 1. HR: 2. RBI: 7. BA: .262. OBP: .304. SLG: .415. OPS: .720. OPS+: 91. oWAR: 0.8.

Wainwright

AB: 69. H: 14. 2B: 8. 3B: 1. HR: 2. RBI: 18. BA: .226. OBP: .250. SLG: .484. OPS: .734. OPS+: 90. oWAR: 0.9.

My complaint is really that I like Adam Wainwright so much, have never been overly fond of Jake and now there's his bullshit Twitter to consider. Silver Slugger would have been a nice feather in Waino's cap, particularly since he's already got two Gold Gloves and will likely never win the Cy Young. I'm hopeful that this year is just a bump in the road and he has another 5-6 quality years left on him, but given the unsustainability of this year's hitting and his otherwise downward projection I'm worried that the only remaining "big" award he potentially has left is the Clemente (which he really should win at some point).

In more general speculation, what does everyone think their team will be doing in trading? In the Cardinals' case I'm curious what they could haul in if they overreacted to not winning the division and went all-in. Let's assume their untouchable core is Wainwright, Martinez, Reyes, Carpenter, Diaz, Piscotty, Molina and Oh. I'll set aside the players who would only be moved in a blockbuster trade like Wong, Siegrist, Rosenthal and Wacha. Leake and Broxton have inexplicable no-trade clauses. Current injuries make Zach Duke, Tyler Lyons and likely Seth Maness considered unavailable. That would leave the following possible trade pieces from the 40-man:

Pitchers:
Matt Bowman
Tim Cooney
Jaime Garcia
Marco Gonzales
Lance Lynn
Miguel Socolovich
Sam Tuivailala
Luke Weaver

Position Players:
Carson Kelly
Brayan Pena
Matt Adams
Greg Garcia
Jedd Gyorko
Jhonny Peralta
Jose Martinez
Randal Grichuk
Tommy Pham

The rotation seems almost too full right now but the Cardinals need some backup and bullpen length, as well as insurance in case Wacha's shoulder remains too fragile to handle a full season of starting or Reyes hasn't been stretched out enough. I think the only experienced starter you'd see them move would be Jaime Garcia unless they were getting cost-controlled talent at a premium spot with Luke Weaver as well. Carson Kelly is likely considered too valuable in case Yadi's knees explode and Grichuk is one of the few hitters with power we still have. I expect they'll keep Greg Garcia around for his utility but if they can find any takers on Peralta since he's only due to make $10M I'd expect them to move him with the emergence of Diaz. Matt Adams is most likely dealt to whomever will take him, likely an AL team, for whatever return he can bring. That means you're looking at a franchise that will likely be looking to move at least Adams, Peralta and Garcia and would probably be willing to throw in Gyorko or even Weaver if the price were right. They need a CF more than anything else right now; what would the best haul they could get for that be? Am I dreaming to hope that might be enough to pull in Kiermaier?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Did Buehrle ever officially retire? If not, I think we all know what's coming next.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

R.D. Mangles posted:

The only good baseball stat is Pitches Framed

Opposing coaches/managers punched in a brawl is still a pretty good one.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

JeterianGiftBasket posted:

Going by Fangraphs, there were 24 catchers last season who got 300 or more plate appearances. 10 of them managed a .750 OPS or better. So... yeah, I'll take an average-hitting catcher with a cannon arm like Sanchez's any day of the week.

One of those 10? Yadier "gently caress the aging process" Molina. :allears:

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Sorry for the low-content phone post, but all you Cubs fans should check out the Times crossword today. It's Cubs-themed and it's only a Tuesday puzzle, so it's easy as hell even for people who rarely do puzzles.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

TMMadman posted:

But it's behind a paywall :(

Edit - wait, you probably meant the sun times. When I hear times and crossword I immediately think of the NY Times.

No, I meant NYT. My posting should have already established that I'm a snob. NYT crossword app has a 7-day free trial period, if memory serves.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Cards have opened a lot of the seasons recently, haven't they? I want to say Cards/Bucs was the first game of 2016, Cubs/Cards was the first of 2015 and if memory serves Cards/Marlins opened 2012 with the first ever game in front of the Dinger Machine.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

The Pussy Boss posted:

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

The Cardinals cackle madly with their nine potential starters:

Wainwright, Martinez, Wacha, Leake, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzales, Weaver, Garcia.

What are we bid for the sexy, sexy corpse of Jaime Garcia?

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

tinstaach posted:

drat, that 2013 Tigers rotation was something else though

I'm still amazed they got beaten in the ALCS that year.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

has anyone ever had the most first place votes and not won the award? (lol clinton) or any mlb reward really.

Adam Wainwright and Trevor Hoffman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Scob posted:

was the wainwright one when law left him off or down the ballot or something

Timmy, then Carp, then Waino at 100, 94 and 90 respectively in 2009.

Lincecum: 11 first, 12 second, 9 third.
Carpenter: 9 first, 14 second, 7 third.
Wainwright: 12 first, 5 second, 15 third.

Everyone voted for both Wainwright and Lincecum, Keith Law and Will Carroll left Carpenter off their ballots.

• Locked thread