Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
This has been a very strange thread today

So Carlos Beltrán back to the Royals, right? that would be cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Spoeank posted:

Shohei Otani is a loving goddamn monster human being what the hell

https://gfycat.com/AbleOrganicAnchovy

This guy just led his league in both ERA and OPS? Has there been a prospect like this ...ever?

I assume he projects in MLB as a pitcher but goddamn would that be valuable if he could be a useful DH at the same time.....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Is it just me or is Cano wildly underappreciated? I feel like he should already be considered a HoF lock and greatest-of-this-generation kind of player but I rarely see him mentioned as such.

Also in looking up Cano's numbers I discovered a guy named Bobby Grich who was goddamn hell rear end good, why isn't he in the hall?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Royals position with greinke a few years ago was comparable to sale and the sox; the Royals really made the most of that trade even if it seemed a bit lopsided at the time. surely some team out there could offer a decent package for sale?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Good lord just how bad was McCutchen in the field last year? I had no idea he'd fallen off that badly.....

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
why doesn't baseball just do the smart thing and axe the draft in favor of a bonus system based on reverse order of standings for all amateurs

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems to me like middling designated hitter is by far the most overvalued position in baseball. Is this perception accurate? you should know that I am informs on this by both Billy Butler and Kendrys morales

edit - I forgot jose guillen

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I could see royals making him an offer if they still think the playoff window is open

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

So Harper is asking for 10/400?

I feel like if his last year was like the year before no one would really bat an eye at this but now.... :/

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't know how current this is or if it was even true in the first place but I think I remember reading that most of NBP operates at a pretty significant loss.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So it is starting to look like the Royals are entering Blow It Up mode a year early, which kind of sucks but I'm alright with considering it is better to get returns on guys rather than letting them walk and then getting nothing because compensatory picks went away or something.

I'm guessing they'll be actively shopping Cain, Moustakas, Davis, Escobar, and possibly Hosmer at the meetings (and Chris Young and Jason Vargas if anyone...wants them). Plus I'd bet they'll dangle Ian Kennedy (cut salary) and Danny Duffy (get more prospects) and Yordano Ventura (sick of his poo poo).

I would be very disappointed if they trade Wade Davis for Jorge Soler as Wade Davis is really really really good and Jorge Soler appears to kind of suck.

bewbies fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 6, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like Sale and that contract was one of the more valuable trade chips in MLB and that haul while impressive is nowhere near what he should have brought. What is the deal here

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Pussy Boss posted:

Moncada's value right now is approximately what Kris Bryant's would've been, if the Cubs traded him prior to 2015, if that helps. He is that level of prospect.

Agreed, but Sale is one of the best starters in the game, in his prime years, on a deal that's paying him probably a third of his market value for the next three seasons. In order to make this even up Moncada will have to turn into a Kris Bryant kind of player, which is far from a sure thing, and even then I'm not totally sure if it is worth it.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Why are people down on the Sale deal again?

To me at least they didn't get enough for him...you look at what teams were giving up for rental closers last deadline and compare Sale's value to those guys, they came up short. It isn't like the Red Sox are short prospects either...how do you not get at least one of Benintendi or Devers?

If they didn't get fair value now CWS shoulda waited until the deadline and some playoff team who just lost a rotation guy to injury or slump would have given quite a bit more I think.

edit - feel free to quote this in 2019 when Sale goes down with his second straight TJS and Moncada is wrapping up his second straight MVP season though.....

bewbies fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 6, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

Kopech seems like he will be a major league pitcher.

Also with how badly things went with Sale over the last year you probably can't bring him back even for a couple of months.

I agree, they kind of backed themselves into a corner with that. I certainly don't think the trade was a bad idea, just that they didn't get nearly enough for their most valuable asset.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna miss Wader, he's the best pitcher in one inning increments that I've ever seen.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
He missed some time last year with forearm issues but he was still incredible when he played. He was significantly less incredible last year than in the previous two years which might be a cause for concern but there wasn't any TJS kind of rumors as far as I'm aware.

Greg Holland though, you could watch his arm disintegrating in real time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So the Royals traded a guy who has had arguably the best three seasons a RP has ever had for a replacement level corner outfielder.

correction, an injury prone replacement level corner outfielder.

cool, cool

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Julio Cruz posted:

Fair point, but if the Royals aren't going to be contending next year they could have got a couple of AAA prospects from someone and saved themselves some cash. Half a season of Miller and Chapman each got the Yankees much more value than just Soler for a full season of Davis.

This

DM appears to be straddling the line of contender/rebuild, and as a result is doing neither particularly well. So we're going to end up resigning Moustakas, trading away Cain and Hosmer, not getting much in return, and we'll be around .500 every year for the forseeable future.

Now, I'm not complaining at all about this, mind - .500 ball for a Royals fan is so much better than what it has been and could be.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
The Royals will probably be about .500 with the current lineup and rotation; it'll be a huge ask to get a wild card spot and they probably aren't going to be winning the central for several more years.

On the other hand the city will absolutely love a .500 team and they'll probably make a lot more money with at least a peripheral contender than they would with yet another last place + high draft pick wasted on bust pitcher strategy so that might be where DM is taking this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I feel like the Royals when dealing with the Cubs should have made a move for Schwarber. I guess maybe they did but I also think that Davis+ for Schwarber is a lot more attractive especially given the Royals current lack of fat guys to DH.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Adam Eaton is very good and is on a very good deal for several more seasons but that is way too much to give up for him.

Is there some sort of personal issue with Eaton that I'm not aware of because I always thought he seemed pretty cool

Grittybeard posted:

Hell, I love a fat guy who at his best was nothing more than a doubles machine.

Soler's interesting, I don't think the Royals have had a guy with his projected power since like...Bo. I'm sure I'm wrong there, and more sure that he'll never actually reach that potential, but drat have the Royals hated home runs for basically ever. Gonna miss Wade a lot though :(

uhhhhh you seem to have forgotten a little fellow named ken harvey

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I don't wish the Yankees any particular ill will but I continue to hope that Chapman's rotator cuff will blow out like an old tire

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm trying to think of other atomic-fastball-only relievers who were effective into their 30s and I can only come up with Billy Wagner and Goose Gossage.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I asked a half a dozen women who are parts of my life for various reasons, all of whom are both educated and ranging from very to extremely liberal, if they found the hazing pics posted in this thread thus far offensive. 3 of the six had no opinion and 3 of the 6 found it funny.

I realize this anecdotal and I have no strong opinion about this one way or another but I'm kind of wondering who the target offended audience is.

Also they still use a racist caricature for a team logo thats cool.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
How about just a pitcher has to face a minimum of three batters before getting relieved, that would be fantastic.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm fine with whatever ends chapmans career sooner, bravo Madden

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
It seems like the most equitable course of action here is that the Ham Fighters get a pile of money, and Otani gets an even larger pile of money, and plays in MLB. Anything that prevents these things from happening is stupid.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Schilling was really, really good. The hall shouldn't be some kind of morality metric, it is for the best players. Unless you commit some kind of terrible crime or otherwise excuse yourself from polite society your public persona/character shouldn't matter.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

rickiep00h posted:

Is bilking the state of Rhode Island out of millions of dollars terrible enough?

by the standards of the baseball hall of fame no and it isn't close

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Soul Glo posted:

I didn't know any of these things about Maddux and it seems like he owns?

When I was pitching competitively Maddux was like the archetype of what all of us wanted to be...no one was going to 8 feet tall with a 140 mph fastball like RJ or be able to whip a curveball like Pedro but hell, some of us could throw harder than Maddux! Plus, mechanics, etc! So the end result is we basically all tried to do everything that Maddux did, the culmination being when one of my teammates stopped wearing contacts and started wearing glasses during games in order to look more professorial.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I will interrupt the nth iteration of cubsanticubs chat to inform everyone that the Royals signed Danny Duffy for 5/65.

That's likely a huge discount over what he would have gotten as a free agent and if he can stay healthy enough to put up 180 IPs a year it should be a really good deal. IF

When he's on the dude is probably the best LHSP in baseball but he's usually only on for one game in three.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Sorry you're both wrong

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

"Dan Duffy when he's on" > Clayton Kershaw, Chris Sale, David Price, Madison Bumgarner, Jon Lester, & Rich Hill

This guy gets it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm on board as long as my avatar can feature his eye

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

bawfuls posted:

Sure thing (though he did have surgery on it last year so it's not as pronounced as it was).

Conditions are full regular season FIP (MLB only), loser must wear opponent's selected avatar for the postseason & through the end of 2017.

Do you want an innings minimum in case of catastrophic injury, or a hedge against Urias spending significant time in relief?

Nah I'm good with whatever.

that said my initial comment was facetious but now I'm legit excited that I'll have a reason to get inordinately mad and or excited at danny duffy this coming season

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Man, its looking like Pudge won't make it? The hell?

Pretty neat about Raines though, bout drat time.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mussina is another guy I don't get....what exactly is the argument or whatever for not voting for that guy?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
oh my god, what the hell?

well, this sucks. that guy was the most entertaining pitcher the royals ever had :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
there were always rumors that yordano had some issues with alcohol. just....ugh :(

• Locked thread