Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Who would have thought flipping channels to channel 9 as a kid in the 80's would pay off so well.

Gotta be up in 5 hours, but this champagne tastes drat good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Popete posted:

I'm really hoping this post season and World Series in particular drew in some new fans. This was about as exciting as it could get especially that game 7. So if there is a silver lining to for Cleveland fans it's that hopefully the sport and the Indians have a lot more people showing up next year.

Seriously, come thiiiiiis close and still draw under 20K a game?* Just seems weird since growing up Cleveland was always a sellout. Maybe people just really hate Flo?

I remember when MLB started trotting out the World Series, then postseason patches and I always told myself I'd stick with my off the shelf selection but drat you, drat you all to hell I gave in. I limited myself to 125 bucks Wednesday but now that I've got my Dr. Pepper bottle I have to keep myself from dropping a few mortgage payments on a team autographed ball, or the display of team balls all nice and framed- it's been a few dry summers in a row, siding can wait a few years right? I'm hoping a Hendricks jersey and some T-shirts can sate me through the winter. I did manage to find a box filled with some of my stuff from childhood though, a pre-name on back Grace jersey, a jar of "Diamond Dust"- dirt from Wrigley after they redid the infield after the 86 or 87 season and my 1989 Cubs team ball I got from what I think was the last year the Cubs played an exhibition game here against the I-Cubs(the union put a stop to that kind of in season stuff quickly) The only big things I think are still missing are a Turk Wendell jersey (I still have the signed toothbrush) and Joe Girardi's banner from the 1990 Cubs Caravan stop.

*A 15% improvement over 2015!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

CascadeBeta posted:

I'm looking for my old copy of MVP Baseball 2005. I think I might be getting sucked back into this sport. :ohdear:

I just wish there was a more current game on PC.

Just kick back and enjoy Jon Dowd and Zack Greinke's curveball of doom.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

This is really surprising considering how cheap it would have been to keep him around for another year. I wonder if maybe there were some sour grapes behind the scenes around Hammel not making any of the post-season rosters and he wanted out? I don't recall seeing him hanging around in the dugout or the parade either. Alternatively maybe there's plan to move pieces for a SP with more upside? Not to poo poo on Montgomery, he was perfectly serviceable, but he's also hugely valuable in the pen and if the window is now, I'm not sure why you'd opt for him over a known quantity in Hammel.

He's been on the edge of simmering over a few times in public about Maddon giving him a short leash, so who knows what went on behind the scenes. He certainly didn't have the Coghlan Gene that endears you to Joe Maddon forever but doing a guy a solid and letting him make his own deal is one thing, but it's not like the Cubs have starting depth, especially after next season. Zastryzny looks like he's the swing man if Travis Wood leaves, then your AAA backups are Dallas Beeler and Pierce Johnson? $1000 bonus baby Ryan Williams may be ready but he was hurt most of the year and the arms that they do have in the system are all 2-3 years away. Hopefully guys like Dylan Cease and Trevor Clifton make it to Iowa this summer.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

Here's an article arguing for neither Dexter or Almora. Put Schwarber in LF, Heyward CF, Zobrist RF, functionally replacing Dex's bat with Schwarber's. Also gets the bonus of Javy getting to start every day at 2B. I guess Soler gets traded or cries in a corner or something, the article doesn't mention him. Alternatively I guess he could be platooned with Schwarbs against lefties but eeeehhhh

I am cool with the ideas expressed in this article. I'm willing to wager that the opinion across MLB of Jorge Soler is higher than SAS' which would make him a nice piece of the package for a controllable arm. Zobrist can roam RF for a few years then Eloy Jimenez can slide on in. Almora will still get AB's as the designated Schwarber against tough lefties while spelling everyone else and if/when Heyward rebounds and opts out you've got a CF waiting in the wings. If everyone is cool playing 4-5 times a week you could probably keep Soler in that rotation as well, but I wouldn't platoon Schwarber, just give him his days off when you're facing a Kershaw type.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Dexo posted:

Would literally root for the Cardinals for the rest of my life if I could change this outcome.

Seconded, Lion's Choice is ok in a pinch

At least I got to see one before heading to the camps.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Scob posted:

this is the worst thing ive ever seen posted in the baseball threads

Well I'm not going to eat your "pizza", so it's Lion's Choice, White Castle, or Jack In The Box tacos. I'm just driving through to someplace nicer anyway.

There you go! Food chat, the staple of offseason threads!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I believe Theo has never been one to spend big money on bullpens. Always pushed more from building within. Probably the smart strategy considering how much relievers fluctuate and Theo is always right. Maybe they'll make a trade for someone like Colome in Tampa. You can always trade for bullpen arms at the deadline too.

Yeah, 100 million for Chapman is a no. He's an amazing talent but long term as we've seen, once triple digits are gone he morphs into Hunter Strickland. I'm not sold on Edwards as a closer just yet due to control issues so if there's going to be a deal for a closer hopefully it comes without the deadline surcharge.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Sydin posted:

Dodgers absolutely have the pieces to make the trade, I'm just not sure if they'd be willing to move what Detroit would be asking for.

I'd be surprised if Detroit let just those two be the deal without throwing in some more long term money like a Sanchez or maybe even Zimmerman. Verlander is getting around market rate but Kinsler is cheap, the haul would have to be massive for just those two.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Atomizer posted:

There is, though, it's just not widely known: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/37468304/

The Zone Evaluation System specifically tracks umps' accuracy in calling pitches.

It also says demeanor on the field is judged and Joe West is A. Still employed and B. Works the post season.

The system doesn't work.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

What closer would you have rather gotten? You traded a lesser prospect for Montgomery, and look at what Cleveland gave up for Miller in terms of setting the market.

The entire Cubs infield is under long term control with Happ breathing down their necks. Even if the Cubs hadn't won the series (still feels weird to type that) it's not like it's a flawed thought process. If you have holes in the roster that's what prospects are for, one way or another and if the decision was Schwarber or 19 year old A Ball guy you're generally going to give up the asset that hasn't shown the ability to play in the majors. By all accounts Cashman wasn't so much as negotiating but giving his price list and there wasn't anything else of that caliber for sale. From the sounds of it the Cubs had known for 4-5 days already that Rondon was hurting so something needed to be done.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

bad boy in the boy band posted:

It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

Way back when, when the Cubs were making out like goddamn bandits trading Jason Hammel and signing him back, or making out like goddamn bandits trading away assets to contenders for guys like Kyle Hendricks and Jake Arrieta it wasn't as fun as winning a World Series but maybe I'm the weird one. We also traded for guys like Mike Olt, and that worked well....so to sum up my feelings: A: It's better to win than hug prospects. B: Flags for at least 108 years, possibly forever.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

[quote="bad boy in the boy band" post=""466703050"]
We should trade all of the prospects now. All of them. No hugs, just a kick in the rear end and a poke in the eye on the way out the door. Theo, get your rear end on the phone and ship every one of those losers out to defend our title. Do it now!
[/quote]

This is exactly what everyone is saying, congratulations for jumping on the team and coming on in for the big win!

Sadly the only World Series up for grabs this year was the 2016 version, so we all make do with what we can.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Perfect! Wrigley Field is named a national park and upkeep can be paid by the federal government!

If we're willing to give up Medicare, Social Security, and Medicaid what does this mean for Kris Bryant in arbitration?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

howe_sam posted:

Considering how badly Shaw cratered in the second half, and unready Moncada looked in his cup of coffee, Sandoval might be the Red Sox's best option at 3B next season.

Anyone but Conor Gillaspie. Thanks in advance!

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

Who even put it on the table though? It seems like a weird thing to really need to codify.

It's been a rule in the minors for quite some time, but also seems like something that would be a pain in the rear end to enforce so maybe it's just going to be a "not on the field and not on TV" thing for PR purposes. Why fight it anyway? Would you want to be the guy asked on national TV why you were holding up a deal and risking a lockout (that would never happen in a million years) for a wad of chaw?

There was a minor kerfuffle in spring training since the city of Chicago banned it's use in stadiums for this year but a couple weeks into the season Russell was right back there with a pinch handful between the cheek and gums.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

patonthebach posted:

I support a players right to chew just as I'd support a fatso DH the right to mainline cheeseburgers after that game. Yes, you are a poor example for the kids and its terrible for you, but goddammmit this is America. Whats next we tell players they cant bareback hookers and do coke?

One of the most vivid memories of my adolescence was watching a washed up Steve Balboni boarding the bus from Des Moines to Omaha (2 hour drive tops?) on getaway night with a sanitary sock full of beers over his shoulder, a bucket of KFC in his other arm, and a clubhouse attendant following with another full bag of various groceries. God Bless America.

I also remember batboys regularly carrying loads of tobacco from the clubhouse to the Iowa Cubs dugout, which I found weird since every player seemed to already have either a can of copenhagen or pouch of Levi Garrett in their pocket, and a very deep conversation involving former Expos pitcher Bob Sebra and another pitcher on why he could never dip while he was actually on the mound. IIRC it was because it messed with his balance.

Inspector_666 posted:

I assume it was the owners and it's due to pressure from the TV stations?

Breaking news from 2021! MLB has banned any and all crotch related activities between the hours of 7-10PM and during all postseason games.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

I'm surprised it's Davis for Soler straight up but he's cheap for 4 more years and maybe being hotter than two rats loving in a wool sock will finally keep him healthy.

Even with some arm issues last year I can't believe nobody will top that vs. 80-90 million over 5-6 years for Chapman/Jansen.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Julio Cruz posted:

Some of this is true but he was never one of the top prospects in baseball, at least according to BP, Fangraphs and MLB.com (the highest ranking I can find for him is #25 on the Fangraphs 2013 midseason list). The thing is if the Royals are prepared to accept a part-time corner OF/DH who might put it together next season but might not in exchange for their best reliever then there are plenty of teams who should be able to offer more than that.

I'd really like to know what kind of package Washington was offering to pause the proceedings, and more importantly how much they'll overpay for Cutch or Jansen to avoid going 0 for the Winter so far. Soler is still just 24 and signed through 2020 at (pre-extension) Sal Perez money, which is what the Royals need, but what I don't get is why deal him now vs. July unless you're worried about medicals or you're blowing the whole thing up hoping for a quick turnaround.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Poque posted:

Nobody should feel anything about any moves made by the Marlins.

True, cocaine can be used as a numbing agent.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

GoatSeeGuy posted:

I'd really like to know what kind of package Washington was offering to pause the proceedings, and more importantly how much they'll overpay for Cutch or Jansen to avoid going 0 for the Winter so far.

.......or Adam Eaton? lol.

What's the opposite of prospect hugging? Dombrowski-ing?

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Inspector_666 posted:

The bursting of that bubble is going to be used to justify massively slashing payroll so I dunno how much I am rooting for it.

The 90's boom was new stadiums, when that dried up it became RSNs, I have no idea what's next since you can't really go to online any more than MLB has without knifing your cable partners in the back. We're probably a generation away (if ever) that cities will be willing to play the stadium game again so what's left but to maybe try to pull off what the Cubs are doing with a bigger, grander Yawkey Way sort of a deal- hotels, entertainment, etc. to make the ballpark area as much of a year round attraction as possible.

Craptacular! posted:

Just make the RSN an optional expense for sports fans, like an HBO or something. People who want the games will pay for it.

I think ESPN figured out decades ago that 20 bucks a month from sports fans < 4 bucks (double that for ESPN) from everyone.

GoatSeeGuy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jan 6, 2017

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

They should add a second league the plays in the off-season so they can fill seats year-round. Too bad for teams that don't have domes.

Someone tried that.....nobody showed up and Ron Washington was a stud.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senior_Professional_Baseball_Association

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

SourKraut posted:

This may have been posted and I missed it, but Matt Garza is a moron.

Easy for him to say since he can't even get to first base.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Pancakes posted:

Does it make me a bad Cardinals fan that if we weren't already overloaded with starters I'd rather have Collin McHugh and his 4.34 ERA than Jake Arrieta right now?

Could be spin, but according to the Cubs MLB.com beat writer his mother in law is recovering from brain surgery. Hopefully it is just that before Jake learns that most Trump supporters would view him as a leftist extremist based on his kale consumption alone.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Did the cops catch the driver of the Gatorade Jug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Timby posted:

Because Tony Clark learned from Michael Weiner, and Weiner's negotiating strategy was "I won't roll over, but I'm fine with dying by a million cuts."

This CBA was the first step towards a salary cap at the major leagues.

The MLBPA is ready willing and able to gently caress over just about anyone and anything that isn't already a member but there's no way in hell they'll allow a hard cap on salaries. If Tony Clark even thought about caving on that Scott Boras would make sure he wakes up with Yoenis Cespedes' horse's head in his bed. Besides, if you're the owners are you going to risk another 1994 when you can get the union to more or less give you 80% of that with the luxury tax threshold while throwing in a complete boning of international talent as a cherry on top?

The real fun isn't going to hit until cable money dries up and there's no new revenue stream to take it's place.

• Locked thread