Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

God I hope they re-sign Fowler. Give him whatever he wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I was rooting hard for the Cubs once it became clear that Cleveland could indeed blow a 3-1 lead so as a Warriors fan I thank you Chicago.

Now you Cubsing nerds are hereby prohibited from whining for the rest of your lives. That means you Sourkraut.
YESSIR!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So I hope they let Chapman walk, and then back Brinks trucks up to Fowler and Jansen's houses so we can keep this fun going next year!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

RC Cola posted:

Hot take. Montgomery rules

I'm glad he's under contract for a few more years.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Almost as good as the girls on my fb feed last night just finding out about Chapman's extra-curricular activities.

"There's a women beater on this bandwagon? Why wasn't I told about this?"

I assuaged at least some of my Chapman-on-my-team guilt with quite a bit of RAINN donations.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Friendly reminder to fellow Cubs posters that if you're buying WS items off MLB/Fanatics' sites, you can get a 25% off code from 20 oz Dr. Pepper bottles. You have to send in a photo of the UPC via text and it takes a few hours to get the code but a $1.79 bottle is well worth it. I saved about $70 off my order.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Virigoth posted:

There are crazy people jumping in a mud pit in Grant Park. Wtf people pull it together

He did get $75 for it.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

HOLY poo poo I just saw a smile on Kyle Hendricks' face. It can happen!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Popete posted:

Yeah this coverage is terrible.

CJ Edwards aka Hardees aka Stringbean is awesome, he's just a super lanky dude from backwoods Georgia and I'm really hoping we see a ton of him next year.

Yeah I hope we get more Edwards and Montgomery

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Yay Billy Williams :unsmith:

My dad's first thought after the win was that he was the only one of the starts from the team he used to watch from the bleachers who got to see this day.

Yeah I'm so glad Billy Williams was still around to see it. I just wish Ernie Banks and Ron Santo could have seen this.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

So will Theo stick around awhile? I know he just signed the contract extension but I wonder if he'll get bored now.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I love Kyle Scwarber so much.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Hahaha grandpa Ross!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Yeah! Instead he gave it to a guy who will probably auction it and donate the proceeds to Trump.
Nah, he'll save it. I actually have faith in him actually loving this team and wanting to see them continuously be good.

His dad would definitely sell it for Trump though.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

Debating on which jersey to get with the WS patch, the entire team is so adorable I can't pick. Probably after the rally I'll go with Rizzo, but Bryant is going to be a huge huge star and is also adorable his goofy face making the final out :ohdear:
I bought a Schwarber jersey when they were WS-bound, and now that they won I went ahead and bought a Bryant jersey with the WS champions patch. My wife was ok with both but I'm guessing I used up my Cubs merchandise purchases for the next year...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Oh no, how will they pay Fowler and Arrieta and Chapman now? :ohdear:

We don't want them to pay Chapman though?

Make some token offer since it's expected and then let him walk and sign Jansen even if Jansen has the QO on him.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Popete posted:

Even if you wanted Cleveland to win over the Cubs you have to admit it's pretty great making so many Cardinals fans pissy.

Pancakes is cool, but he's also not a member of the BFiB crew so yeah. And that comes from me, the saltiest of posters.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

For those of you getting the Dr. Pepper codes at Fanatics. Do I just buy a regular 20 ounce? Are these specially marked bottles? Is everyone hearing back from them? I need to buy me some poo poo.
There are specially marked bottles. I've heard back from them on the three I've used, and it's saved me about $130 total so far.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

They're really burning through championship gear. They've almost completely sold out of those Under Armour parade jackets that just went up yesterday. I was going to get a Medium one this morning but it's gone...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Like this. They're extremely high quality.

I'm hoping they get more in stock, because it's a jacket I could easily wear to work without it looking unprofessional.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Poque got one. I might have to get one of my own because he's already expressly forbidden me from ever wearing his. :smith:

Are they available in local stores? I'm wondering if the Cubs Team shop at Sloan Park might end up having them. This is the part where it sucks not being local in/around Chicago, although Phoenix is almost New Chicago at this point.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Timby posted:

That being said, though, Montero's always had a lovely arm and an average bat at best (and the Cubs signed him at a time when pitch framing was the new nebulous hotness), and no one expected Contreras to come up with the on-base skills and defensive abilities that he did. I'm sure it stings, Montero, but you kind of sucked for most of this year.

Cubs didn't sign him, the Diamondbacks did. Cubs traded for him expecting he'd be a multi-year mentor to Contreras/Schwarber once called up, in addition to Ross.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TMMadman posted:

How long did it take you to hear back from them? I texted yesterday and sent a picture at the same time, but I haven't heard back from them. So I texted again and sent a different picture of the same UPC after the automated response this morning, but I still haven't heard anything back from them.

I think they might be getting slammed now, or some delay, as the one I sent this morning hasn't gotten a response yet to the picture itself yet. Did you get an initial response back after just texting "football" to it?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

TMMadman posted:

Yeah, when I first did it, I sent football and the picture at the same time. There was an immediate automatic response about sending the picture before my picture went through. Then I sent another picture about an hour later.

Then since I didn't hear anything this morning, I went ahead and sent football again and then another picture of the same code. That was like 12 hours ago and still nothing.
Yeah, I think they're just slammed/something isn't working. I'm hoping to see a response either tomorrow or Monday morning.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

On the website it says it could take 48 hours.

Does anyone know if they are making more of the locker room stuff? That hat and jacket are cool. Would be silly if they just made one run of them.

I'm ordering like $350 worth of bobbleheads. :lol:
Yeah, I think my first code took about 14 hours, but the next couple took 2-3 hours.

I'm hoping they'll make more since I really want the Under Armour jacket, but I'm a bit worried they'll stick to the limited edition run and not make anymore available online.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

ffoecaf posted:

Seriously I desperately want that parade jacket I hope there's more

Me too. :(

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

FYI Under Armour's Twitter shows a few different inquiries into the parade jacket, but the official twitter account said no additional production runs/shipments are currently planned. So congrats to the 100 people who got them. :mad:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

The way they phrased it made it seem a bit more optimistic.

https://twitter.com/AskTeamUA/status/795331016416198656

The more people Tweet at them, the more likely they are to do another production run.

Yeah I saw that one, but there was also this one:

https://twitter.com/AskTeamUA/status/795015797974429697

So maybe different people responding? I'll have to find my Twitter login and send them a question about it to help drive demand for another run. I'm back in Phoenix now too so I'm going to go by the Team Shop at Sloan Park tomorrow to see if they have any.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Poque posted:

Cubs decline Hammel's $10M 2017 option.

Unexpected but I guess they want to free up the cash elsewhere. :getin:

Wait seriously? I thought that'd be a nice bargain for a 5th starter?

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Scob posted:

i thought the yankees were done signing broken down old guys

They're not talking about the Yankees in that article...

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

I am beyond depressed.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks Kevlar! I've spent the day distressed for my minority and LGBTQ friends due to this election and came in to read the thread to cheer myself up.

Oh and add me to the list of those who'd swap the Cubs WS for a Clinton presidency.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Pancakes posted:

Arrieta wins Silver Slugger over Wainwright and I die a little more inside.

After what Arrieta posted, me too, friend, me too.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Is it still late to give Cleveland the WS if it means we get President-elect Clinton? We're still within 30 days!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

R.D. Mangles posted:

i normally stand for Baseball Justice but nothing in the world would make me happier than Kyle loving Hendricks winning a Cy Young in Real Life.

Yeah, I want Hendricks to win it because Hendricks is an ice cold robot who is awesome.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

:laugh:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Explosionface posted:

KB wins NL MVP, surprising pretty much nobody. :toot:

Sexy and good!

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Intruder posted:

I defied my wife tonight

By eating a half pound of sugar free gummi bears she told me absolutely not to eat more than three or four a day of

Kill me
Were these the sugar free Haribo? Those have the best reviews on Amazon. :colbert:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

It sounds like the Cubs aren't really pushing to re-sign Chapman (thank god) or really pursuing after Jensen, so I wonder if they'll go back to having Rondon as the closer next year, or will try out Edwards?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

Niwrad posted:

Sounds right, Theo has never been one to put a bunch of money into the bullpen. And $80m+ to Chapman is too risky considering once his fastball starts to go, so does he.

Rondon was actually really good most of the year. I think that forearm injury messed him up and he was just never right coming back from it. I'd still feel better if they could bring in a nice setup man somehow but there are always bullpen arms available at the deadline.

Sydin posted:

Yeah Rondon was arguably right up there with Jansen/Chapman/Britton in terms of dominance to start the year. He didn't walk a single batter in his first 14 appearances/13 IP, and around early May I remember a story about how he was pitching so well (across an admittedly small sample) that he broke the FIP formula such that he was posting a negative FIP. Then the injuries cropped up and he just never got back on the wagon. I don't think there's harm in giving him another shot, particularly if it saves the Cubs $80-100m the year before we're going to lose Lackey & Arrieta. Meanwhile make Edwards a permanent bullpen fixture and hand the 7/8/9 innings to Strop/Edwards/Rondon respectively, and if Rondon is still blowing chunks give Edwards a whirl.

Even if Chapman could keep it up, I want him off the team. I was just hoping they'd look heavily at Jansen, but I'd be ok with Rondon getting another shot while Edwards is now a permanent member of the bullpen.

• Locked thread