Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

La Stella had an OPS of .860 and they couldn't even fit him on the 25-man roster.

...when? B-R says .763, and even then it's only over 169 PA so it's hardly predictive.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Soler would be starting in OF or DH for the majority of MLB teams, but he's a bench bat for the Cubs.

For his career, Soler has put up 1.1 total WAR in 765 PA (so just over a season's worth). I'd love to hear which teams he'd automatically be a starter on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Yes another corner outfielder is just what we need.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Neil Walker accepted the QO too. That means the Mets have 5 starting infielders which is a state of affairs I predict will last for at least the first 2 weeks of the season.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I can see voting for Porcello over Verlander because it's really close, but not putting Verlander on at all just makes no sense unless they're voting Porcello/Happ/Kluber entirely based on ~winz~

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
So Britton comes 4th in Cy Young voting but gets more MVP votes than every other pitcher put together? :wtf:

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

a neat cape posted:

I'm an Angels fan so I'm not complaining. I just think it's funny because it has a zero chance of happening in any other sport

It's a lot harder to be terrible when you have an MVP-caliber player in any other sport. If Steph was playing for the Sixers last season they'd have won a lot more than 10.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

mcmagic posted:

Not really. He was right there with any of those guys while playing GG caliber catcher.

Sanchez's OPS from August 3 (when he was called back up) was 1.052. Freeman's OPS from August 3rd was 1.169. Over 100 points of OPS is a big deal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Other baseball stats:

Beltre is going to get 3,000 next year. Pujols is going to get 3,000 in the beginning of 2018 (unless he reverts to a machine and gets it at the end of next year). Beltran is 380 hits short and a 40 year old free agent. Cabrera and Cano are the next two "locks" to get 3,000 hits if they stay healthy.

Cabrera and Cano are gonna be interesting. Cabrera should be an absolute lock, he's 481 away and insanely consistent so should make it late 2019/early 2020. Cano is less certain, he's 790 away so he'll need to be productive for 5/7 of his remaining seasons (though I expect if he gets close he'll get enough playing time to make it). I don't know who's going to be next after those guys though, it might not happen again until Trout.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Another edit: God drat Cabrera has gotten an MVP vote every single year he has played baseball my god.

Somehow including his debut season in which he hit .268/.325/.468 over 87 games. Since then he's never had an OPS+ below 130 :wtf:

Julio Cruz fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 19, 2016

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Hand Knit posted:

They have a good chance to have one of if not the best rotation in baseball next year.

...really? Happ, Sanchez and Estrada all had ERAs more than 50 points under their FIPs this season, I'm not sure I'd bet on them being able to do that again next year. Plus now Dickey's gone they need a #5 and this is a terrible free agent class for starters.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

Liriano will be the #5, no? Sanchez Estrada Happ Stroman Liriano? He should do better than Dickey did last season I would hope.
I also think Stroman will have a better year than last and wouldn't be surprised if Sanchez did too. Estrada and Happ might regress but I could see them being around as effective as they were this year. Who knows though.

Oh yeah I forgot Toronto traded for Liriano. It's not out of the question that if everything goes right for them they could be maybe a top-3 rotation, I just don't think it's very likely.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bad boy in the boy band posted:

It just sucks that it was for a rental, the Yankees made out like goddamn bandits, and they're going to get all those guys essentially for free because Chapman is going back there anyway.

So it was a good deal and you'd do it again, but you're still mad because it wasn't a better deal? I don't know if you realize but Cashman wasn't just going to hand over Chapman for a bag of baseballs and a pair of season tickets in the bleachers, if he didn't get what he wanted in return from the Cubs there were plenty of other teams who'd be more than willing to make him an offer.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

bawfuls posted:

In case anyone wasn't sure, the Padres are still run by a bunch of braindead imbeciles.

https://twitter.com/Padres/status/801157050793213952

Those are the most generic jerseys I've ever seen. All that dramatic buildup just for a white/navy home and grey/navy away.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Well Segura's just put up a career-best season at age 26 so who wins the trade is really dependent on whether he's figured it out and will continue to be good or whether it's just an anomaly. The two guys the DBacks got have got promise but they're still both pretty young which makes sense for a team which doesn't figure to be contending for a year or two. Judging from their minor league stats Haniger looks like he might be decent and Curtis is basically a lottery ticket.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Edinson Volquez to the Marlins, 2/$22M. He's 33 and coming off a bad year so I can't imagine he got offered many 3 or 4-year deals. Personally I've never rated him so I'm pretty happy he's coming to the NL East.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Hell yes. 4/$110 million apparently.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Wait, is that less AAV than the contract he just opted out of?

I mean I guess he gets the extra years, just a bit surprising given the season he had

He had 2/$47.5M left on his contract, so he's got the extra years and the AAV's gone up a bit.

e: by AAV he's now the 6th highest paid player in baseball and the 2nd highest position player.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

I thought that the Cubs didn't offer Fowler a QO this year to help him find a team?

They were expected not to, but no-one really knows if that's just because there was a baseless rumour they weren't going to, or if there was some sort of agreement in place with Fowler which the team then went back upon.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

Fowler to Toronto is looking plausible

Are they shopping Pillar then? I feel like Fowler loses a lot of his value if you stick him in a corner, even at Rogers.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If the rotation stays healthy I don't think it's unreasonable to claim it's the best in baseball, so even a marginal offensive improvement is worth a lot to the team, and Cespedes over Jay Bruce is a bit more than marginal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Chexoid posted:

Now the Jays are attached to Curtis Granderson, apparently. Watching the Jays always narrowly avoid getting Jay Bruce is like watching those gifs where a giant asteroid barely misses hitting earth over and over.

I'd rather keep Granderson than Bruce considering he can sorta-kinda play a bit of center, but the return for him should be better too. Apparently the O's are in on Granderson as well so we'll see if Sandy can swing us a couple of decent prospects.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Nats have certainly got a hole to fill in CF, do they have the prospects to give up for Cutch? I'm assuming Turner and Giolito are untouchable.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Cutch ends up going to the Nats at least there's the silver lining of a Werth-Cutch-Harper outfield being pretty loving bad defensively.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
TOS surgery has an expected recovery time of about 6 months so it's not impossible he could be ready to go by Opening Day or soon afterwards. I expect there'll be a few clubs looking to pick him up, possibly with an incentive-heavy deal.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Seeing reports that the Nats are in on both McCutchen and Sale. They don't have enough prospects to get both unless they deal Turner, right?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

The Pussy Boss posted:

Man I dunno. Melancon is fine, but if you're gonna pay for a premium closer, why not give a 5th year and a few more $ to the super-elite, all-time great reliever?

BTW can we all agree that Chapman is at least a top 10 all-time RP? Or has he not pitched long enough to compare fairly to guys like Mo, Wagner, Hoffman, Eck, etc.? It's tricky to compare across eras, Chapman's insane K rate isn't quite as impressive nowadays when every team has a dude who throws high 90s and strikes out a million batters, but on a per inning basis I think Aroldis stacks up well against any of those guys.

I'm pretty hesitant to call a guy who's only played 6 1/2 seasons top 10 anything. In terms of peak value he's probably up there or close, but he needs to keep it going for a while longer IMO.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

SharkTattoos posted:

Cubs season ticket prices are up between 20 and 31% depending on section.

http://cubs.brochure-mlb.com/2017/pdfs/plans/daily-prices.pdf

Ricketts and Theo just straight :homebrew:

I would be beyond pissed if my team jacked up ticket prices by >20% in a single year, World Series or no.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Poque posted:

sure, except that last season all the tickets were snatched up by vendors and sold on Stubhub for 96% higher than face value.

And putting up prices prevents this how? If anything it just means the vendors' profit margins will be even bigger.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Thank gently caress the Nats didn't get Sale. They have to be a shoo-in for Cutch now but, eh, I'll take it.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
N: Dan Haren named DBacks' "Pitching Strategist".

V: Can he have control over their Twitter account too?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Thom P. Tiers posted:

The Cardinals keep saying they want to inject EXCITEMENT and ATHLETICISM into the roster for next year so I wonder what black guy they will sign or trade for.

Sounds like they're after a Latin player and a black player to me.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
This is at least the third time that Panda's looked really good in the offseason and had people saying "hey, maybe he's gonna keep the weight off and be good now!" If it hasn't happened by now, it ain't ever gonna happen.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
He definitely got even fatter when he got to Boston but IIRC the Giants FO asked him to lose some weight a couple of times - there was some speculation that he felt insulted by that and it was one of the reasons he left SF rather than re-signing there.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Intruder posted:

Good get him gently caress out of the Astros division

Dude always kills them. Wish Odor could somehow go away too

Moreland has a .716 career OPS against the Astros.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Niwrad posted:

I know people have been down on Soler but I do think he has some value. He's on a cheap deal for 4 more years and still really young. It was just 2 years ago he was one of the best prospects in baseball and tearing up the minor leagues. Just a year ago that he was crushing the ball in the playoffs. The guy has the ability to be a really good hitter and has shown it at times in the majors. The move to the Royals should help too because he can now play everyday and be a DH at times to reduce his injury risk.

Some of this is true but he was never one of the top prospects in baseball, at least according to BP, Fangraphs and MLB.com (the highest ranking I can find for him is #25 on the Fangraphs 2013 midseason list). The thing is if the Royals are prepared to accept a part-time corner OF/DH who might put it together next season but might not in exchange for their best reliever then there are plenty of teams who should be able to offer more than that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

CubsWoo posted:

A replacement level corner OF/DH that's under team control for 4 years and will be a steal if he can figure out how to turn his brilliant 2 week periods into an entire season

I mean it's not like there's a shortage of young corner OFs who might break out at some point, but most of them aren't owed $17.5 million.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

17.5 million over 4 years for at worst a 4th ofer with a high ceiling is not a bad thing to have.

Fair point, but if the Royals aren't going to be contending next year they could have got a couple of AAA prospects from someone and saved themselves some cash. Half a season of Miller and Chapman each got the Yankees much more value than just Soler for a full season of Davis.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

The Royals think they're contending next year.

In which case a) they probably shouldn't get rid of their best reliever, and b) if they're dead set on doing so, they should be able to get someone who's more major-league ready right now than Soler is.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
They outperformed their pythag by 8 games last season, and their rotation is terrible. Even in the AL Central Duffy/Kennedy/Ventura/Gee?/Young?? is going to struggle to make .500.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Rand alPaul posted:

I hope this happens so there is a backlash against all the retirement gifts he received and it permanently kills the farewell tour nonsense that has sprouted up in recent years.

I hope Baltimore asks for their bullpen phone back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Robles isn't in the deal then Giolito has to be, right? Eaton's surely more valuable than just a couple of low-level prospects.

• Locked thread