Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:pervert:
Apple is good.
What the gently caress is Roku it's good also fire
Plex Plex plex
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Like all normal people I have Apple TV and a Mac mini and media on the iTunes for the ultimate entertainment set up however I'm sure that you will all agree that the constant hand braking and meta z'ng is a pain in the proverbial rear end!!!

Well, friends. Let me tell you about this amazing new website called plex! It's amazing! It transcodes your home movies you've recorded of your cat on your bespoke camera system on the go! No more handbraking! Works great with chrome cast!

Plex!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
i use plex

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
i use xbmc and haven't updated it in years

Works for me

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PLEX is fantastic if you are a filthy disgusting media pirate.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

NoneMoreNegative posted:

PLEX is fantastic if you are a e-honorable media liberator

Cyriptix
Nov 19, 2004

meep
ripped all my dvds to a synology nas running plex, sold them to CEX for ~£400, now i can watch better off ted on my phone while i'm on the bus

no regrets

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
i used kodi until i got the atv4. now it's nothing but plex, channels, netflix and youtube

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

channels is really good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I loving love plex

its pretty much all my ps4 does these days

that and netflix

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

tsk this HDHomeRunner device looks just what I need to get my tv channels piped into my network

Freeview only, no sign of a FreeSat version anywhere in the works.

well just gently caress off then :mad:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
plex is pretty cool, someday they should add group functionality or something so you can join a group to share/get larger libraries

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

I can see no legal issues with that at all. roll it out.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Cyriptix posted:

ripped all my dvds to a synology nas running plex, sold them to CEX for ~£400, now i can watch better off ted on my phone while i'm on the bus

no regrets

you dont regret riding the bus?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

oh lol you can't actually watch live tv with PLEX/HDHomeRunner, yeah I'm not so sad now.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
I wouldn't get much use out of plex with sub megabit upload behind double nat

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
complex users only

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

oh lol you can't actually watch live tv with PLEX/HDHomeRunner, yeah I'm not so sad now.

yeah, you can't watch through plex, but there's apps for like every platform that allow it

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
let's talk about plex, baby
let's talk about you, and me
let's talk about...

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sonarr is a great companion for plex

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

i like using plex OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
its cool how plex Just Works and every other dumbass files -> your tv thing doesnt work basically at all on any platform. i also like how it pulls down the covert art etc

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Smythe posted:

the covert art
[Smythe's Anime Tiddies DON'T CLICK]

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ban everybody above me for admitting to being anime watchers.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

ban everybody above me for admitting to being anime watchers.

Actually my most recent use of Plex was to watch an archival recording of a past production of a play

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

same

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i thought the courts ordered you to stop calling your homegrown farm animal bestiality videos "plays"

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

it's actually my little pony the musical mother fucker

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

please my dad is mother fucker, im just a fucker

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
i use plex on a synology, fed to a Intel NUC htpc i put together for my living room and also a roku stick in my bedroom.

plex is really cool but the synology is where its at. gently caress janitoring your fileservers

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Plex is loving awesome. See a youtube you wanna watch later on TV?
Run this:
JavaScript code:
javascript:%20var%20s=document.createElement("script");s.type="text/javascript";s.src="//plex.tv/queue/bookmarklet_payload";var%20h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];h.appendChild(s);void(0);
and it will add the video to your Plex queue (provided you're signed in to Plex.tv :ssh: ).

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bill NYSE posted:

Run this:
JavaScript code:

javascript:%20var%20s=document.createElement("script");s.type="text/javascript";s.src="//plex.tv/queue/bookmarklet_payload";var%20h=document.getElementsByTagName("head")[0];h.appendChild(s);void(0);
and it will add the video to your Plex queue (provided you're signed in to Plex.tv :ssh: ).

It's easier for me to press the YouTube Watch Later feature on my phone, tablet, or computer and seamlessly chromecast with 1 click to my TV, and my friends who come over are all automatically joined to my network and can send their cool youtubes to the TV too with 1 press on their device (platform agnostic, natch) when it turns into youtube and russian driving videos time. Suits my needs.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

plex is good op

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
my wife got a roku off someone for free and we like it better than the appletv

i don't know or care about plex really

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

that's ok, as long as your are post post posting

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
quick reminder: the term is "cartoons" and if you must specify "japanese cartoons"

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
plex is pretty good these days

double ohm seven
Jul 14, 2016

Stymie posted:

quick reminder: the term is "cartoons" and if you must specify "japanese cartoons"

shut up anime dog tits

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
plex is great I don't get why people still use xbmc or kodi or whatever the gently caress is called these days. plex just works.

I got a friend back in my hometown who has a server with a DAS and gigabit fiber to the home and he basically shares his fuckoff enormous library with friends. I think it's up to ~1400 movies and ~700 TV shows not counting additional poo poo like rifftrax, music videos, old tpb/swearnet stuff, and even old Hanna-Barbera cartoons

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

My Linux Rig posted:

plex is pretty cool, someday they should add group functionality or something so you can join a group to share/get larger libraries

Fyi you can add individual ppl as friends on plex and then get access to stream from their libraries

efb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Bill NYSE posted:

Run this:
JavaScript code:

what the gently caress lmao, there are much easier ways to stream youtube videos to your tv than using a fuckin.. bookmarklet? those still exist??

• Locked thread