Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
:pervert:
Apple is good.
What the gently caress is Roku it's good also fire
Plex Plex plex
gently caress off moo cow
View Results

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

for example, your hard drives will smell like poop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Bulgakov posted:

what else is there left to watch?

oh I know

let me build a rack of storage devices near a large tube that is the exit point of a bunch of shredded up garbage from my family meals

Welcome to Plex

"Let me rely on seven different online streaming services having constant access to all previous content until the end of time" - a person who thinks three 3.5" hard drives are 'clutter'

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

"10.5"? No thanks".

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

"Let me rely on seven different online streaming services having constant access to all previous content until the end of time"
yeah i'm not sure i'll ever fully get used to this whole cloud streaming thing; my hoarding instinct learned from having patchy & slow dialup as a teenager is just too strong

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

also the dozen different streaming services necessary to get adequate content coverage is a usability disaster

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

"Let me rely on seven different online streaming services having constant access to all previous content until the end of time" - a person who thinks three 3.5" hard drives are 'clutter'

constant access to all previous content is the hoarder mindset

media is a commodity and if one particular thing isn't available you can watch something else

media hoarding is a lovely way of life imo

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Bloody posted:

also the dozen different streaming services necessary to get adequate content coverage is a usability disaster

yeah ive got my mom set up with hulu, netflix, amazon prime video, and a few shared accounts for tv anywhere from a cable subscription, it's such a stupid clusterfuck

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ive decided rokus are the best mom streaming devices though, they just work and there are apps/channels for everything

still no amazon prime video on the apple tv lol

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Cocoa Crispies posted:

media is a commodity and if one particular thing isn't available you can watch something else

Not being able to watch any full SNL episode from 1975 to 2001 because NBC is too cheap to pay music licensing fees is no way to live life either.

The media is sitting on a device that's the size of two decks of cards. How is digital hoarding even remotely a bad thing wtf

I don't necessarily always want to watch Portlandia or The Mindy Project

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Cocoa Crispies posted:

you'll change your tune after the trumpocalypse when the internet no longer exists and you have to come crawling to one of us for old simpsons episodes with your radiation mutated tail between your legs

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
if I have to bring a shitload of mechanical disks, NASes, and janky open source video software into my life in exchange for SNL and the simpsons, illl just do what I've done for the last decade and not watch SNL or the simpsons

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

"10.5"? No thanks".

Funny, that's what your mom said last night oh wait poo poo go back

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Bloody posted:

this is why netflix and amazon are banking hard on producing their own content, nobody wants to give them good stuff anymore because they want you to pay for cbs now or whatever the gently caress to watch season one of the bing bog the ray

so gently caress it, download everything

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

netflix is really all you need for that kinda stuff, gently caress paying amazon, hulu, cbs etc fartt

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Cocoa Crispies posted:

if I have to bring a shitload of mechanical disks, NASes, and janky open source video software into my life in exchange for SNL and the simpsons, illl just do what I've done for the last decade and not watch SNL or the simpsons

"shitload of mechanical disks" -> one of two
"NASes " -> any computer
"janky open source software" -> poo poo that just works

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I just use my desktop and some open source software I set up three years ago and it all just works and has just worked for that entire duration

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Not to mention I don't think Netflix has my wedding video or the video of my child's first steps.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

hulu is loving garbage "oh hey you have to subscribe if you want to see more than 1% of our content but we still show you ads unless you pay even more!"

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

hulu is loving garbage "oh hey you have to subscribe if you want to see more than 1% of our content but we still show you ads unless you pay even more!"

Hulu has content that not even the regular subscription has access to? Lmao

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

mishaq posted:

ive decided rokus are the best mom streaming devices though, they just work and there are apps/channels for everything

still no amazon prime video on the apple tv lol

this is 100% so they can justify not selling appletv on amazon.com lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

I just got Amazon Cloud Drive and pointed Plex to a mount of it. A bit wonky but does work, can play unlimited Linux ISO's

incidentally does anyone know the best way to have plex deal with multiple cuts of the same movie? 'cause i have both the pizza hut and taco bell versions of demolition man

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Not to mention I don't think Netflix has my wedding video or the video of my child's first steps.

it does, I watched both last week

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

SmokaDustbowl posted:

it does, I watched both last week

Don't watch the honeymoon footage please

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

less sex and more crying than dancer in the dark

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

the upload must be corrupt I hit the +30s button to get to the good stuff and it took me back to the main menu??

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
:mad:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

lol

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

NoneMoreNegative posted:

the upload must be corrupt I hit the +30s button to get to the good stuff and it took me back to the main menu??

wowowwow lmao

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
plex still can't be bothered to take advantage of any kind of hardware transcoding features, but it looks like Emby has no problems using Quick Sync.

someone called Plex out on not complying with the GPL for FFMPEG, and their response was just to hire him.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
emby owns

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hulu has content that not even the regular subscription has access to? Lmao

no no. there's three levels that i know of:

free - you can watch new shows, on computers only, at low res, with ads
plus - you can watch everything they have to offer on all sorts of devices, with ads
plus, no ads - plus, but no ads

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

no no. there's three levels that i know of:

free - you can watch new shows, on computers only, at low res, with ads
plus - you can watch everything they have to offer on all sorts of devices, with ads
plus, no ads - plus, but no ads*

*a select few shows have an unskipabble ad at the beginning but then play ad free for the episode's duration

ftfy

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

hulu is very bad

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, NoneMoreNegative was correct! The file was in fact corrupted. You saved me quite a bit of troubleshooting anonymous young Internet man!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Actually, NoneMoreNegative was correct! The file was in fact corrupted. You saved me quite a bit of troubleshooting anonymous young Internet man!

lol, no no no. its over bub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

shameful

• Locked thread