Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011
Self un-made is more like it if you keep it up.

(Somehow not a dick joke.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Orv posted:

Motherfucker I ain't made out of fingers.

You've got ears, nostrils, and... other appendages.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
RIP Ambulon who was made of toe.

In hilarious news I finished recording the challenges last night, having already recorded the final chapter and just needing to edit the audio commentary all together for that for the next update day. In the process of doing these recordings I have seriously under-estimated just how much time these challenges would take. "Oh yeah just a wrap up episode for those last few challenges it'll be an hour at most" and then suddenly I have enough footage for four episodes.

Also just because I could I went and beat Commander and Ultra Magnus difficulties so I could talk about some other stuff for the challenge videos! Like how there are glue guns! Glue guns with different types of glue! We're in a brave new world now.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

RIP Ambulon who was made of toe.

In hilarious news I finished recording the challenges last night, having already recorded the final chapter and just needing to edit the audio commentary all together for that for the next update day. In the process of doing these recordings I have seriously under-estimated just how much time these challenges would take. "Oh yeah just a wrap up episode for those last few challenges it'll be an hour at most" and then suddenly I have enough footage for four episodes.

Also just because I could I went and beat Commander and Ultra Magnus difficulties so I could talk about some other stuff for the challenge videos! Like how there are glue guns! Glue guns with different types of glue! We're in a brave new world now.

Yeah, the higher difficulties really give you some fun toys to play with. I also like how you can take your level 99 bots souped up weapons (assuming you put in the time and effort to grind them up) back in to the lower difficulties and just absolutely destroy everything in 5 hits or less. Makes the treadmill a little less terrible.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

Yeah, the higher difficulties really give you some fun toys to play with. I also like how you can take your level 99 bots souped up weapons (assuming you put in the time and effort to grind them up) back in to the lower difficulties and just absolutely destroy everything in 5 hits or less. Makes the treadmill a little less terrible.

I have a Star Saber that is SS rank with five slots and max level (50). On Scout difficulty, I had great amusement from killing Starscream with one hit.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Some random thought rolling around in my head reminded me of something I saw and should probably be brought to discussion/observation.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLrwWQGfD4d7G71y57RcaiJPcHdoEWmMnU

In-depth look at the system, uncertain of completeness. Some's basic 'this is in the manual', some really isn't. Episodes 2 and 3 are probably of greatest interest. There's strong depth possible. Others have SAID it, but even owning the game, I didn't exactly GET it. Still don't, exactly. It's like....you don't really get the chance to experiment often. You don't get the chance to THINK about what you're doing while you're doing it. You're in the midst of all the crazy, throwing stuff out to deal with EVERYTHING.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jan 10, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Yeah a lot of this stuff you tend to learn more or less through experiencing it and never really consider the ramifications/responses of it, so having it broken down like that is a nice way to lay out on the table just how complicated and well thought out the combat system is.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Been trying to rebuild my old saves. I forgot how much leeway they give you in this game with getting the SS overall

EDIT: Ignore the time I basically had it open while I slept and such

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Episode 10Youtube | Polsy

New characters and lore added to their respective sections

You might notice I missed a log on our run through there, but don't worry I've since picked it up and it's in its place in its section. If I've missed any others, someone please let me know cause repeated runs of the game post-recording tell me I didn't miss anything, but it never hurts to be sure. All that aside that's it for the story mode! From here on in it's seeing the really freaky cool stuff PlatinumGames started doing with their own engine in the challenge modes.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I like Skywarp taking Starscream's line at the end.

Spudd
Nov 27, 2007

Protect children from "Safe Schools" social engineering. Shame!

You dudes are such dorks about Transformers, still it was a lot of fun to watch and listen to how excited Coolguye was over everything.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Everything about this game has been glorious, even for someone like me who has basically no experience with Transformers.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Spudd posted:

You dudes are such dorks about Transformers, still it was a lot of fun to watch and listen to how excited Coolguye was over everything.

I feel like there's no other fiction quite like Transformers. There's bits and pieces of all these different elements slapped onto giant robots cause screw it sell some toys but it works so well.

And yes, I thank Coolguye for not playing the game even after having owned it for so long because I wanted his fresh response for everyone. He's free to play it now!

Yapping Eevee posted:

Everything about this game has been glorious, even for someone like me who has basically no experience with Transformers.

I don't want to be mean and suggest that anyone who doesn't love the idea of giant talking robots fighting each other and befriending people might be broken in the soul... so I'll leave Coolguye or Orv to say it because they're kinda mean like that.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Again, thank you for showing off these games and giving them the love they certainly deserve!

This game is just so amazingly what I always wanted in a Transformers game. They did pretty much everything right! It's just amazing.

If there really is a sequel in the works then I can hardly wait for you guys to show that off in the best way as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Re: the Transformers movie chat, Lockdown is the true hero of the Transformers film franchise.

I have no idea what was actually going on with this game's plot but it was a fun ride nevertheless.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, the small robot that wouldn't stop complaining is Huffer I think.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Oh yeah, the small robot that wouldn't stop complaining is Huffer I think.

While Huffer never stops complaining, after checking it up it was actually Brawn who was the one being a total rear end to Perceptor. He spends the entire episode making GBS threads on Perceptor for not fighting on the front lines even while Perceptor is patching up everyone Megatron injured in the fighting, till finally Perceptor saves the day by not being retarded and Brawn declares him a hero and that no one messes with his best buddy while he's around.

Brawn was notable for being one of the really small Autobots who could punch ridiculously well above his weight due to being extremely tough and strong, but being the same height as Bumblebee tends to give a guy a height complex. He was the first Autobot to die in the G1 Movie's slaughter aboard the shuttle, but lived on in an animator's error in one of the worst episodes of all time (the one on the singing planet).

Cythereal posted:

I have no idea what was actually going on with this game's plot but it was a fun ride nevertheless.

And Coolguye mocked Wheeljack's attempts at exposition.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Cythereal posted:

Re: the Transformers movie chat, Lockdown is the true hero of the Transformers film franchise.

In brief, and including stuff from the pick-ups:

--

Decepticons find old ship, that was used to terraform planets into Gaia worlds for Cybertronians in The Old Days, and crash-landed on Earth in it's distant past after 'issues'(The crew went kinda mad). Restarts the process. Autobots attempt to stop him by grabbing the central computer of the ship, which is also a historical and cultural treasure trove. There's some back-and-forth over it, but eventually, the Autobots 'win', by destroying the computer, thus stopping the process. Very much Pyrrhic victory, but at least Earth's safe.

Unfortunately, it looks like the commander of the ship, a living legend, and also the maddest of the bunch, is waking up...AKA Sequel bait if they ever get the chance.

---

Could have been a short movie, or a multi-part episode of the old cartoon, only with added fighting segments, basically. (He says while not having watched much Transformers to tell...)

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jan 12, 2017

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I heard this game was basically the prequel to the original Transformers movie (the one with orson Welles' Unicron)- is that true?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

TheLastRoboKy posted:

And Coolguye mocked Wheeljack's attempts at exposition.
I'M NOT SORRY

Yapping Eevee posted:

I keep kicking around the idea of having a couple of watching parties the next couple of weekends to just queue up a G1 playlist for a couple of hours while we have people hang out in mumble/discord so new folks can experience it. The reason I get so excited is because Platinum seriously got the SOUL of G1 so right, and I didn't think it was possible.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Ooooh, I know exactly what that sequel hook means. Awwwwwh yeaaaah, want that Devastation sequel now!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

CommissarMega posted:

I heard this game was basically the prequel to the original Transformers movie (the one with orson Welles' Unicron)- is that true?

Not really. It's basically a big commercial for the Combiner Wars toyline (and a much better one than that god-awful show on Go90). The Constructicons/Devastator, Motormaster/Menasor, and even Optimus are basically their toys from this line. Like JamieTheD said, the schematic Optimus look at is for Optimal OptimusOptimus Maximus.

This means Devastation 2 will be based on Titans Return.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh don't worry, there's like two and a half hours of challenges left to go. :mad:

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Great job all around on the LP as per usual, and also if anyone was still interested in getting the game on the cheap and you missed the Steam christmas sale then the Humble Bundle store figured as much. Cause it looks like they're having another sale and they have the game for $12.50, which I believe is what it was during the steam sale (or it's like 11 if you get the humble monthly discount).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
WHICH ONE-A YALL CRAZY MOTHERFUCKERS DID THIS poo poo

<--------------

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Coolguye's new avatar was his reaction I can dig that.

Thank you for the present, person who gave out presents.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Coolguye's new avatar was his reaction I can dig that.

Thank you for the present, person who gave out presents.
RIP Slackjaw and his amazingly expressive hands.

On to the LP, congrats on finishing the story mode. I do kind of hope we get a sequel out of this, if only to see more of the Autobots with this game's playstyle. And so Grimlock can power bomb more named Decepticons into the pavement, naturally.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Bloodly posted:

In brief, and including stuff from the pick-ups:

--

Decepticons find old ship, that was used to terraform planets into Gaia worlds for Cybertronians in The Old Days, and crash-landed on Earth in it's distant past after 'issues'(The crew went kinda mad). Restarts the process. Autobots attempt to stop him by grabbing the central computer of the ship, which is also a historical and cultural treasure trove. There's some back-and-forth over it, but eventually, the Autobots 'win', by destroying the computer, thus stopping the process. Very much Pyrrhic victory, but at least Earth's safe.

Unfortunately, it looks like the commander of the ship, a living legend, and also the maddest of the bunch, is waking up...AKA Sequel bait if they ever get the chance.

---

Could have been a short movie, or a multi-part episode of the old cartoon, only with added fighting segments, basically. (He says while not having watched much Transformers to tell...)

Oh, that's it? Thought there was something more going on.

Still think Lockdown is the hero of the Transformers movies. Dude's just a bounty hunter working for the mysterious creators of the Cybertronians who hired him to bring in Optimus Prime. Thinks the Autobots and Decepticons are both idiots and even honors his deal with the human military.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Cythereal posted:

Still think Lockdown is the hero of the Transformers movies. Dude's just a bounty hunter working for the mysterious creators of the Cybertronians who hired him to bring in Optimus Prime. Thinks the Autobots and Decepticons are both idiots and even honors his deal with the human military.

But does his face turn into a gun?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

VolticSurge posted:

But does his face turn into a gun?

Yes. Yes it does. He's seen to have three modes: car, humanoid, and humanoid with a sniper rifle for a face.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'm uh, not super comfortable with that avatar text, but thanks.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Orv posted:

I'm uh, not super comfortable with that avatar text, but thanks.

They know what you did, Orvtler.

Cythereal posted:

Oh, that's it? Thought there was something more going on.

Just remember, this is an 80s cartoon plotline at its best and most drawn out. Heck, it's mostly a spin on a story where the Decepticons actually took over New York City from beneath and did their own cyberforming. Except in that story the Constructicons kidnapped Optimus Prime, cut him into pieces, left his head on a shelf, turned most of his body into a giant robot alligator, and mounted his gun-using arm atop their tower (which looks just like the one that pops out of the ground here) to use as a turret and then re-enacted that one scene from King Kong as Devastator holding Optimus.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

CommissarMega posted:

There were a couple of references to the movie in the Proudstar logs, with Lithone being the planet Unicron ate at the start of the movie, and Kranix being a guy who escaped it and was killed later on. It's a bit of a stretch to say this game will lead directly to that movie, though. A robot the size of a planet like Unicron is probably a bit too ridiculous to try to bring back into the fiction nowadays.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A good poster posted:

A robot the size of a planet like Unicron is probably a bit too ridiculous to try to bring back into the fiction nowadays.

The next Transformers movie involves time travel and Optimus Prime's sword is Excalibur.

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Cythereal posted:

The next Transformers movie involves time travel and Optimus Prime's sword is Excalibur.

And not even Michael Bay could make Unicron work with modern-day nitpickers

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Cythereal posted:

So they're recycling old Gen-1 episodes eh?

A good poster posted:

And not even Michael Bay could make Unicron work with modern-day nitpickers

In fairness one of the parts of the entry does say "Just go with it"

Anyone who looks for actual realism towards how poo poo in Transformers works in a more than passing moment of amusement at things like that is just asking for a headache. Very rarely has anything in Transformers ever matched up in its scale.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

TheLastRoboKy posted:

So they're recycling old Gen-1 episodes eh?

TBF,the third movie was basically a combination of The Ultimate Doom and Decepticon Day (or whatever it's called). Basically,Cybertron comes into Earth's orbit AND everyone is dumb enough to trust the 'Cons,so the Autobots are told to leave.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

TBF,the third movie was basically a combination of The Ultimate Doom and Decepticon Day (or whatever it's called). Basically,Cybertron comes into Earth's orbit AND everyone is dumb enough to trust the 'Cons,so the Autobots are told to leave.

poo poo, stop selling me on the movies or Orv will make me watch them if I show even the slightest interest.

Orv
May 4, 2011
No see, those were basically cool. Bayformers 3 is a loving insane piece of nonsense disguised as a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Orv posted:

a loving insane piece of nonsense disguised as a movie.

Thing is,that statement can be applied to any of the Bay films.

• Locked thread