Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
As a Transformers nerd, this thread has my full attention. Not so big on the G1 stuff, more of a Beast Wars or Prime guy myself, but love the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

To be fair, in some continuities (like modern IDW), so was the government he wanted to overthrow. He just took things a bit too far.

Then way too far.

Then he started building "Genocide engines", and, well, you know how these kind of things go.

Coolguye posted:

In Aligned, which incorporated the other two transformers games we've done, the cybertronian status quo before megatron was a really rigid and brutal caste system, which is likely where you're remembering the "megatron was right" stuff. The only reason megatron could rise was because there was an entire hemisphere of Cybertron that was living in more or less abject poverty and brutality to make a decent mode of living for the other half.

So yeah megatron definitely starts out right there (and also friends with Optimus). And he kinda is right up until the point he embarks on philosophical genocide and pursuit of unquestioned authoritarian power.

That's about the size of it. Megatron was a gladiator that lead a revolution of lower class bots with some genuine gripes, but he quickly devolves into a brutal tyrant as the power goes to his head. He demands to become Prime, which is essentially a divinely granted post, and spread his vision of domination and extermination across the galaxy. He and Orion Pax start out as friends, but fall out when his power lust grows to great. Orion is chosen and upgraded into Optimus Prime for peace and goodness and all, and the Autobot/Decepticon factions form to begin their all out war that basically kills their entire planet/god. They escape and much marketable fighting ensues.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Is this kind of discussion of more than thirty years of lore is why I like Transformers threads so much. The setting has developed into something surprisingly rich for mostly selling toys.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Rabidredneck posted:

One problem with combiners that the IDW comics like to focus on is the fact that you have multiple personalities trying to co-exist in a single body. Devastator for example acts slow and stupid because his component parts are always arguing over the best course of action, even later combiners tend to have the same problem. One series had them being treated as weapons of mass destruction, and for good reason. When they start fighting each other they can lose focus on their surroundings, and suddenly a major cybertronian city or industrial area is now in ruins while two giants are still duking it out.

Devastator was one of the better results. Bruticus ended up dumber than a box of rocks, but willing to take orders while Menasor and Abominus are just rampaging monsters because their components are all screwed up and hate each other.

Autobot combiners fare a better on that front with relatively few of their teams absolutely despising each other, but they still end up either hyperfocused on the current tasks or take so long to debate an action as to be a hindrance in a fight.

VolticSurge posted:

Yeah,I liked the series a lot. Even if the finale did leave several plot points unaddressed,I would say it had a satisfactory run. As opposed to the new RiD. *shudder* OK,I'll do my best to explain why RiD is inferior in every way. Or rather I would,if that didn't require watching the entire thing. So I'll just tell you some of the stuff I told Coolguye on Steam this one time.

First Episode of Prime starts off with a bang,establishing the Decepticons as a major threat. In the first episode RiD, we get...some dumb Animated-style "humor", a lovely villain,and human characters that have the charisma of cardboard.
OK,here's the basic synopsis of the series:It's *blank* number of years after Predacons Rising,and Cybertron is...exactly like it was before the fall. I've heard of quick rebuilding efforts,but Jesus. Anyhoo,Shitpiece Bumblebee is a poo poo-tier street cop now. When him and his partner,Token Femmebot Strongarm, arrest a street punk (Sideswipe),'Bee gets a vision of Optimus Prime,which he interprets to mean that Prime's ghost or whatever is trying to warn him. So him and his wacky sidekicks hijack a space-bridge to Earth. There,they find a weird robot named Fixit,who basically has brain damage. And,as you can probably guess,said damage is played for laughs. He's the warden of the Autobot prison ship Alchemor,which has crashed on Earth,releasing all 150+ prisoners loose on the planet. So it's up to 'Bee and co to catch 'em all. Then they run into some boring Spike+Sparkplug type humans, and decide to live in their lovely junkyard.

Now,for that lovely villain thing. All of the villains in RiD (besides a returning favorite) are lovely,so I'm just using the one from the first episode,for comparison's sake. It's this dumbass named Crunchbite or something who eats metal to empower himself. Thing is,he's a goofy,macho roid-addled jock type dude who spends more time admiring his pythons,brother than doing anything of note. He also has a goofy Southern accent for some reason. Worst part is,he's voiced by Liam O'Brian. AKA this beast. How they talked the poor guy into being in this garbage is beyond me.Then there's Troy Baker's character,who is similarly a waste of good talent. But I've gone long enough.

Basically,RiD'15 blows chunks,don't watch it.

I haven't been able to bother watching an episode all the way through thanks to Cartoon Network doing everything in their power to sabotage series that aren't Teen Titans Go, but what I have seen has looked pretty bad. Like the usual attempts to make a good series fit the definition of some corporate stuffed suit's idea of "child friendly."

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

gently caress you.

Edit: I should probably add context to this.

That's "The Beast", a combination of the Dinobots that only ever appeared in pack-in comics for a DVD set. Essentially, when the DVDs for Micron Legend (the Japanese version of Armada) were released in Japan, there was a well received pack-in comics with each volume called Linkage. It filled in holes in the series, and was very nicely designed, written, and plotted. It had about 13 volumes to fulfill its story, had a full ending, expanded the lore, and is actually in many ways seen as superior to the series it was packed with.

Metrodome, the UK distributor of Generation 1 DVDs at the time, were inspired to create their own pack-in comic, "The Beast Within". Essentially, in the middle of a random battle between Autobots and Decepticons, Grimlock decides to forcibly combine with the other Dinobots (which is suggested to have occurred before), with horrific consequences. As in, murdering pretty much 90% of both sides present. The comic just comes out of nowhere with no context, kills off all the Decepticon combiners (remember, this is packed in with Generation 1 episodes), and turns on the Autobots. A later release then has the second part, where The Beast kills some Autobots, then Optimus knocks him off a cliff and that apparently kills the combiner.

Please forget that this is literally impossible in any reviewing of the plot of the series it was included with, that it was poorly drawn, lettered in Comic Sans, needlessly dark, and does nothing more than snuff out a bunch of robots for no reason. In fact, you can forget all of that, because the entire thing has been wiped from canon and should never be mentioned again in polite company.

Like Kiss Players.

What is this "Kiss Players" of which you speak? It sounds like a horribly disturbing, basically pedophillic bit of insanity that absolutely did not exist in any way shape or form.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

You don't reach nearly Wonderful 101 levels of escalation, but poo poo will get much more extreme, yes.

There isn't much way to top Wonderful 101 (until Wonderful 102 comes out), but it should get pretty absurd given what we have to work with here.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Polaron posted:

Ratchet's not really a science-y dude, he's just a really old, tired doctor. Perceptor is literally Wheeljack's replacement after the massacre that was the cartoon movie.

I love Wheeljack, he's so earnest and just loves building new Science Things so much.

Ratchet's pretty science-y in Prime, but scientist/medic/engineer/weaponsmith all kind of blend together when your patients are Transformers, after all.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course, half of the reason for all that is that Bayformers tend to look like random masses of scrap metal with a little paint and almost no loving armor. Seriously, it looks like if you jammed a stick into one of them somewhere, all their gears and poo poo would seize. No wonder they die so easily. If they were just designed to look simpler in robot form, a lot of rendering power could be shifted.

Optimus Prime's face does not need fifty thousand loving lines.

Prime seemed to refine the basic Bayformers style into something that actually looked decent. Parts slid together to form mostly solid coverings with reasonable colors leaving characters looking distinct rather than jumbled masses of metal. Sure, they cheated with size changing parts and faces moving as if they were liquid metal, but that looked so much better than any of the films' crap.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 11, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

TheDarkFlame posted:

A medic robot that can only transform into a leg being called Ambulon is kinda great.

Also, not being a Transformers nerd, I can tell just from what's been linked in this thread that the Transformers wiki is a deeply thorough and dedicated labour of love, and a hefty percentage of that wiki is dumb absurd unbelievable poo poo.

Welcome to Transformers.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Orv posted:

Are you all on drugs?

Platinum games do weird things to your brain.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

OK,I can get behind Evil Optimus Prime. Considering how evil he was already acting in the other movies,I'm sure that one "the Bay films are actually brilliant" guy's probably high-fiving himself as we speak

I'd' almost forgive Bay for everything if he could do this right. Since he's Michael Bay and incapable of making a story work, I'm not holding my breath.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

VolticSurge posted:

Well yeah. I mean,I can get behind the idea of Prime snapping due to...space madness? Overwhelming rage at humanity for repeatedly loving everything up? Just a general love of spines?

Millions of years of war would crack anyone. Bay Optimus doesn't have too far to fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

I'm still amazed how Platinum got this game so right, but the Ninja Turtles so wrong, but that's irrelevant. Either way, great playthrough.

• Locked thread